Reply to this topicStart new topic
> View on the Ork Underground
JonathanC
post Mar 20 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,083

I'm curious about how other GMs are portraying the Ork Underground. It's vast, it could be as large as Seattle as a whole, but we know so little about it. I've always found it interesting as a setting. Recently in my game, the players got a sort-of introduction to it, and have been meeting people at Big Rhino for intros and such.

Now, with the way Big Rhino was written up in Seattle 2072, (it's being featured in a tourist-style guide to Seattle), I figured it was a place that had more or less gone mainstream; as a result, the players (only two of whom are orks) have been safe when going there, no trouble or anything. They are, of course, respectful and don't start any trouble there.

I also dropped in a little thread about Ork Underground "tours" being run by an opportunistic Ork who was willing to exploit himself (and his people) to "adventurous" tourists. The idea is that he walks them through the upper areas of the Underground, never going too deep, and he puts on a big show (Orks would consider him to be something of a sell-out). I kind of pictured him wearing a Pith helmet with a flashlight, and maybe paying a few jobless orks to put on a "native" act when he brings tours around. He'd justify his work by pointing out that he *also* explains a lot of the Underground's history, and that his act humanizes Orks to outsiders as much as it exoticises them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 20 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Bull could probably tell you exactly which ones, but I remember the Ork Underground playing a pretty big role in some of the recent Missions stuff -- he could be able to steer ya to some canon stuff, to provide more inspiration.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Mar 20 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 20 2012, 11:16 AM) *
Bull could probably tell you exactly which ones, but I remember the Ork Underground playing a pretty big role in some of the recent Missions stuff -- he could be able to steer ya to some canon stuff, to provide more inspiration.

I was really stoked to see that Missions has a series of adventures set around the Underground - I'm still digging my group out of the hole they made for themselves (described in a different thread; suffice it to say they're taking jobs outside of Seattle for a while) - but I'm looking forward to trying some of them out when I get back.

I was mostly curious about how people were handling the Underground in their own games, given the limited canon info on the area. I've seen it described as everything from orks living in sewer tunnels to specially-engineered areas designed by Dwarves (who are fighting to get recognition from the orks for their work).

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Mar 20 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 20 2012, 03:19 PM) *
I was really stoked to see that Missions has a series of adventures set around the Underground - I'm still digging my group out of the hole they made for themselves (described in a different thread; suffice it to say they're taking jobs outside of Seattle for a while) - but I'm looking forward to trying some of them out when I get back.

I was mostly curious about how people were handling the Underground in their own games, given the limited canon info on the area. I've seen it described as everything from orks living in sewer tunnels to specially-engineered areas designed by Dwarves (who are fighting to get recognition from the orks for their work).

I've typically handled it as a "lawless for the most part" (just don't go around killing or stealing from the locals) area that encompasses a good portion of Seattle and Tacoma (with some bits extending into Redmond and Pallyup. But the key thing is that it is not contiguous, and not all of it is underground. The entrances and exits are mostyly secret. The public ones leading to places that are touristy. It has been around 30+ years, and I see it as having expanded at least to the size of a small town (30K-40K inhabitants). I also note that the place is a bit insular and getting the trust of the locals is hard (unless you are an ork--dwarves are tolerated though).

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 20 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 20 2012, 02:19 PM) *

I've written more Missions than I've read, so I don't know what kind of detail they've got...but knowing Bull, it should be cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For myself, I've always just treated them mostly like the Barrens, but underground. Not quite hardscrabble sewer-tunnel existence, but...early 20th century stuff cobbled together with cursing and duct-tape, with the odd mish-mash created by the occasional scavenged/stolen/traded 2073 stuff brought in. The opening diorama of the living conditions from Gangs of New York, maybe? Lots of folks packed into a little space, making due as best they can, and with the strongest running the show (just like above ground). Homey in a way because it's been lived in for a couple generations by now (so like I said, it's not just a bunch of orks squatting in naked tunnels), but still more "crudely efficient" than anything else.

+Quote Post
VykosDarkSoul
post Mar 20 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 50,732

I cant seem to get the image out of my head....

... The Undercity of Chicago from the Dresden Universe...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 20 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Yes, check out this years collection of Missions, it appears to have the most info that I've seen yet.

Maybe if it becomes a district there'll be an E-Book update to Seattle 2072 for it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.