Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Texas Succeeds, A thought experiment
Draco18s
post Apr 1 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,392

Lone Star State Of Mind: Could Texas Go It Alone?

Interesting story I heard on the radio the other day on my drive home, and while not related to ShadowRun, it provides an interesting perspective on how feasible a breakup of the states would be, and what this "Lone Star Country" might look like.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 1 2012, 04:27 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The whole notion of splintering nation-states was done poorly in Shadowrun - some relatively stable nations, such as the United States, were split up, while other, less stable and far more balkanized nations were kept intact.

Texas would not fare well as an independent nation; currently, it takes in a lot more from the federal government than it contributes. Even in the goofy Shadowrun alterniverse where the AmerIndians took over half of the country, an independent Texas did not last long.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 1 2012, 04:39 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 31 2012, 11:27 PM) *
The whole notion of splintering nation-states was done poorly in Shadowrun - some relatively stable nations, such as the United States, were split up, while other, less stable and far more balkanized nations were kept intact.

Very true. Seattle being off by itself being the one oddity I can point at that I don't think anyone can argue about.

I'm not as well versed about the other weirdy bits.

Texas would not fare well as an independent nation; currently, it takes in a lot more from the federal government than it contributes. Even in the goofy Shadowrun alterniverse where the AmerIndians took over half of the country, an independent Texas did not last long.

Even if the ultra-conservatives "small government is good government" build the new country the way they'd like, they'd still end up with more federal government than what currently exists as state government:
Foreign embassies and the like, plus all the stuff that the feds do that the state doesn't do (highway repair, and all that).

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Apr 1 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Yup, the biggest problem would be the roads. We get a ton of federal money for that. Other than that, theoretically if we stopped shipping off our state-produced food/beef/cotton/etc, we would be much more self-sufficient, and then sell oil/gas/etc for the rest.

BUUUUT, we tried being on our own before and it didn't work out all that great. Despite what all Texans (myself included) would like to believe.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 1 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 1 2012, 08:41 AM) *
Yup, the biggest problem would be the roads. We get a ton of federal money for that. Other than that, theoretically if we stopped shipping off our state-produced food/beef/cotton/etc, we would be much more self-sufficient, and then sell oil/gas/etc for the rest.

BUUUUT, we tried being on our own before and it didn't work out all that great. Despite what all Texans (myself included) would like to believe.

Different Times, Bigity... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 1 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 1 2012, 05:27 AM) *

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 1 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 1 2012, 08:41 AM) *

Heck, Texas was still considered a rebellious territory by Mexico when it applied for statehood. Even the war for Texan independence has a lot of folks from the rest of the United States, like the New Orleans Greys, pitching in. It's no surprise that a lot of people consider the whole situation nothing but a land grab by the U.S.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 1 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #8

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I think all depends on the political climate. If Texas wanted to reorganize itself into an independent nation and the US didn't deem it worthy of a civil war, I doubt our current international community would stand idly by and allow Mexico to invade.

In fact, today's international political climate, I think youd have some nations (Russia and China for example) rushing to recognize Texas as a sovereign nation.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 1 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

'Secedes'. I read the title and I'm like, "A thought experiment where Texas doesn't fail?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I still think Texas should be broken into four states.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Apr 1 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #10

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 1 2012, 12:28 PM) *

Damn it! You almost trapped me in tvtropes!

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 1 2012, 02:41 PM) *
'Secedes'. I read the title and I'm like, "A thought experiment where Texas doesn't fail?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, it had me going for a minute, too.

Seems like many countries have their secessionist corners. The long-term thinkers in them tend to hold back the hot-heads.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Apr 1 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

I'm actually more interested in the thought experiments where the United States becomes a dictatorship in the same way that both greece and rome did. Fairly confident that history WILL repeat itself.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 1 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

I don't see the U.S. ever becoming a traditional dictatorship. If you're going for dystopia, emphasize the worst fears of both conservatives and liberals - a sprawling military-industrial and prison complex, and a powerful oligarchy of plutocrats and industrialists who buy and sell candidates and write their own laws. Combine that with economic policies that create economic inequality similar to that of the Great Society, along with gun control and other limits to civil liberties that people will be conditioned to accept under the guise of national security. A dystopic version of the United States would still be a democracy in name, just not in fact.

+Quote Post
HaxDBeheader
post Apr 1 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 51,183

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 1 2012, 09:04 PM) *
I don't see the U.S. ever becoming a traditional dictatorship. If you're going for dystopia, emphasize the worst fears of both conservatives and liberals - a sprawling military-industrial and prison complex, and a powerful oligarchy of plutocrats and industrialists who buy and sell candidates and write their own laws. Combine that with economic policies that create economic inequality similar to that of the Great Society, along with gun control and other limits to civil liberties that people will be conditioned to accept under the guise of national security. A dystopic version of the United States would still be a democracy in name, just not in fact.

Add in a more conspicuously enshrined stratification of citizenship ala SINner vs SINless and the ability to strip citizenship for select crimes & tada, an underclass with no voting rights is available.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 2 2012, 01:36 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 1 2012, 04:04 PM) *

Wait, wait, wait, this isn't already true? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 2 2012, 01:46 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

I assumed he was being darkly sarcastic.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 2 2012, 02:14 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 1 2012, 12:41 PM) *

Bite your tongue...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 2 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 1 2012, 02:41 PM) *

The Constitution specifically forbids this. An independant nation would have all the paper pushing of forign relations meaning it's government out expand as it had to appoint ambassadors to other nation, welcome them in, close the border with Mexico better AND handle the fact it's borders with the US would suddeenly have to be manned. not fortified persay but just regular customs and then passports issued. Texas oil might also not be so plentiful as they think. Right now they can pretty much have a free reign in the gulf but as independant they'd lose a lot of that in the pinch with the EEZ of the USA starting at the Lousiana border while to the north there could be an issue of Oklahoma drawing on the same fields there.

Lastly, with absolutley NO apologies to the guys driving around screaming 'the south will rise again' states leaving the union was tried back in 1861-65.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Apr 3 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 1 2012, 09:44 PM) *
Lastly, with absolutley NO apologies to the guys driving around screaming 'the south will rise again' states leaving the union was tried back in 1861-65.

The south has risen! Though it took a while, and well let's just say some issues never are going to get resolved to everyones satisfaction.

Just a thought, has anyone tried a civil war era shadow run?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 3 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Apr 3 2012, 08:13 AM) *
Just a thought, has anyone tried a civil war era shadow run?

That'd actually be kind of neat.

As a followup to the story I posted, they do "letters to the program" and a lot of people were like "really? we had to spend 8 minutes on this?"
But one guy mentioned a book that had been written (like 50 years ago) and made the comment "Texas wants to succeed, so I started an 'Americans for Texas Succession' group which squashed the whole idea: Texas wants to succeed, but they don't want anybody else to want them to."

+Quote Post
eudemonist
post Apr 4 2012, 01:36 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 17,116

EDIT: Bah, didn't see the "RL" tag. Thought that was an SR4. Don't mind this post...

Heck, we did, and we brought quite a few states with us into the C.A.S. Seein' as how aggressive the Azzie's are, it's good we did. It's pretty much a war for the border in Texas right now in SR...it's nice to have them Georgyans an' them 'Bama boys on our side.

As far as real life, sure, we could, but I don't think it would be a net benefit for Texas.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Apr 4 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Texas has a lot of US military, Fort Hood alone has 10 percent of the Army stationed there and most of the units are back now. There's about 50-60 thousand troops here, add Fort Bliss and Lackland Airbase where the Airforce does basic and AIT and you have a very sticky military situation.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 4 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Armored brigade at Fort Knox in Kentucky, the Marine base in camp lejune. The Atlantic Fleet in Norfolk VA. no nered to go on. just the needed beurocracy for an independant texas would drive taxes way up

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Apr 4 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Texans certainly make up a sizable portion of the military--of the populous states, they have the highest percentage of soldiers enlisted--but the days of everyone just training or being stationed in their state of origin (or close by) are long gone, so it's tough to say how it'd shake out given that a lot of military personnel stationed in Texas may not be willing to back Texas in the event of secession.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Apr 4 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #24

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Plus you have to factor in how many join to get the frag out of Texas.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 4 2012, 04:52 AM
Post #25

Advocatus Diaboli

Surely servicemen pledge to defend the USA, not Texas. Dishonor!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th July 2024 - 05:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.