Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vampires, Weaknesses and powers and stuff
Bearclaw
post Apr 2 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

OK, so by RAW, the Vampire has a moderate allergy to sunlight and a severe allergy to wood. It seems to me that it should be:
Severe Allergy: Sunlight, (meaning the sun will actually kill them.)
Mild Allergy: Wood (which would keep the vampire dead as long as the steak was through his heart).

That seems to agree with most representations of the vampire. Is there a reason it would be different?

Also, what is the meaning/point of "induced dormancy - Lack of air"?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Apr 2 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 01:07 PM) *
OK, so by RAW, the Vampire has a moderate allergy to sunlight and a severe allergy to wood. It seems to me that it should be:
Severe Allergy: Sunlight, (meaning the sun will actually kill them.)
Mild Allergy: Wood (which would keep the vampire dead as long as the steak was through his heart).

That seems to agree with most representations of the vampire. Is there a reason it would be different?

The Nosferatu brand of vampire have the severe allergy to sunlight. Might be regular vamps have moderate to flavor them a bit differently. As for the induced dormancy: it means they basically go into stasis if they lack oxygen. The point? I can only speculate, but it lets you have vampires hidden in weird places. Like at the bottom of the ocean, or in a hermetically sealed container.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 2 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It's just part of the mythology. You can 'store' them in a coffin, etc. indefinitely.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 2 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

I guess that's what I figured.
So, unless there's any good reason not to, at my table, Vampires will have a severe allergy to sunlight and a mild (I wish there was even less of a level of allergy) allergy to wood.

How 'bout garlic, running water and other such things?

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Apr 2 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 02:48 PM) *
I guess that's what I figured.
So, unless there's any good reason not to, at my table, Vampires will have a severe allergy to sunlight and a mild (I wish there was even less of a level of allergy) allergy to wood.

Shouldn't work. Remember, the vampires in this game are created by a virus, so a lot of the mythos around traditional vampires wouldn't apply. I guess if you wanted you could have them allergic to garlic as well, but I'm not sure how you'd manage running water.

Mild is pretty damn mild, as far as the allergies are concerned. Just means they are at a -2 to all actions and can't regenerate.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 2 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 2 2012, 12:53 PM) *
Shouldn't work. Remember, the vampires in this game are created by a virus, so a lot of the mythos around traditional vampires wouldn't apply. I guess if you wanted you could have them allergic to garlic as well, but I'm not sure how you'd manage running water.

Mild is pretty damn mild, as far as the allergies are concerned. Just means they are at a -2 to all actions and can't regenerate.

Not regenerating is a really big deal if you regenerate. I was going for the idea that wood doesn't really hurt them any more than anything else does, but if you "kill" them with a stake, and leave it, they'll stay dead.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 2 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

It's a magic virus. Magic is arbitrary. So they left out garlic, kept in wood, etc.

I dunno: could anything be more 'stop regenerating' than 'stay dead', Bearclaw?

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Apr 2 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 08:07 PM) *
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 09:48 PM) *

The 'induced dormancy' and reduced boyancy would be the explanation for the fear of running water. The vampire can't swim very well, and being swept under water would mean falling comatose, so they would likely not risk crossing a stream.

There's some precedence for vampires having a psychological allergy to holy objects - you can easily do the same with garlic. Certain vampires expect to be allergic to garlic, so they are (In Bram Stoker's version, it's garlic flowers though - not garlic itself).

Previous editions had higher allergy levels for Sunlight, but there was a category higher than Severe then, which Nosferatu had.

The 'burns up in sunlight' thing is very new as far as vampire myth goes: 20th century, mostly. Older versions had stuff like blistering, or nothing but their supernatural powers not working.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Apr 2 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Not regenerating is a really big deal if you regenerate. I was going for the idea that wood doesn't really hurt them any more than anything else does, but if you "kill" them with a stake, and leave it, they'll stay dead.

Note that regeneration isn't as powerful as it seems. It's not your typical DnD thing where they can keep coming back. All it means is that they heal pretty damn quick, according to their magic rating. Once you fill that phys track, they stay down. So if you kill them with anything, they stay pretty damn dead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Playing on their allergies just makes them go down that much easier.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 2 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 2 2012, 01:29 PM) *
Note that regeneration isn't as powerful as it seems. It's not your typical DnD thing where they can keep coming back. All it means is that they heal pretty damn quick, according to their magic rating. Once you fill that phys track, they stay down. So if you kill them with anything, they stay pretty damn dead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Playing on their allergies just makes them go down that much easier.

I get that. The point is, while thay can take a hit from a lot of stuff and shrug it off, a wodden stake will kill them.
Regeneration even works in overflow, right?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 2 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 03:34 PM) *
I get that. The point is, while thay can take a hit from a lot of stuff and shrug it off, a wodden stake will kill them.

Yes. Even when their overflow is full and they should be dead, they still get 1 regeneration roll: if that brings them back to "not dead" then they recover (otherwise they stay dead).

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 2 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

So, again, it kinda feels like the wood allergy is the exact mechanism you'd want there.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Apr 2 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 03:34 PM) *

Yeah, I think it works even in overflow. I guess I just don't see the need to nerf the wood allergy,really, but thats up to you. I figure if you're close enough to stake him, you're close enough to put two rounds in his brainpan and push him past overflow. Unless you're an archer using arrows with wooden shafts, the wood allergy will rarely come into play.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 2 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 2 2012, 01:58 PM) *
Yeah, I think it works even in overflow. I guess I just don't see the need to nerf the wood allergy,really, but thats up to you. I figure if you're close enough to stake him, you're close enough to put two rounds in his brainpan and push him past overflow. Unless you're an archer using arrows with wooden shafts, the wood allergy will rarely come into play.

Most coffins are made of wood. All kinds of stuff cool rich guys in 2072 have around them is made of wood. It's OK if touching something makes him itchy, but not OK if it makes him smoke.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Apr 2 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 2 2012, 04:07 PM) *
Most coffins are made of wood. All kinds of stuff cool rich guys in 2072 have around them is made of wood. It's OK if touching something makes him itchy, but not OK if it makes him smoke.

Ah, I didn't know you wanted to push the traditional angle that far. I'm not sure why they'd WANT to sleep in a coffin, considering how comfy beds are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Even assuming most coffins are made of wood in 2070(not a guarantee, considering the popularity of synthetic materials), I would imagine theres enough of a lining inside for it to not be an issue. As for rich guys....wear gloves when touching that mahogany desk? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I don't think severe implies they start to smoke; they might just blister or puff up like a bee sting.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Apr 2 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 2 2012, 10:58 PM) *

It doesn't matter if you push him past overflow though - he still gets a regeneration test to try and survive at the end of the turn.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 2 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Yeah, Regeneration was much better/worse in SR3.
One Roll and if you succeed, you are healed to perfectly fine immediately.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Apr 3 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Apr 2 2012, 05:53 PM) *
It doesn't matter if you push him past overflow though - he still gets a regeneration test to try and survive at the end of the turn.

Entirely possible I need to brush up on my regeneration rules, then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Apr 3 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

Note that there are two different types of vampires represented in Shadowrun:
"Vampire": The Bram Stoker Dracula vampire. Like the original Dracula, sunlight is merely an inconvenience to him that suppresses most of his powers.
"Nosferatu": Based on the German Dracula ripoff, featuring Count Orlok. This was the first vampire story where vampires actually burned to a crisp in sunlight.

TL;DR: The allergies are fine.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 4 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #20

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Apr 2 2012, 04:29 PM) *
The 'induced dormancy' and reduced boyancy would be the explanation for the fear of running water. The vampire can't swim very well, and being swept under water would mean falling comatose, so they would likely not risk crossing a stream.

Um...

Why would a vampire have any less buoyancy than any other metahuman? I'm not understanding that.

I mean, sure, I can see getting swept under the water and going dormant sucking big time, but it probably can't suck any worse than, you know, being killed by the process. And normal metahumans are willing to risk that when it's necessary.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 4 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 4 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Why would a vampire have any less buoyancy than any other metahuman?

Coz RAW says so...and vampires probably are a somewhere between haggard and emaciated unless they only feed on victims with crazy cholesterol levels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.