Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone transformer as personal mount, AKA Stupid Player Tricks, part 1
Tanegar
post Apr 2 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

So, at the character creation session on Saturday, one of my players asked me if he could ride around on the back of a transforming drone. I have no particular problem with the idea, I just don't know how to do it mechanically. Is there some existing vehicle mod, or do I need to homebrew something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Apr 2 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

That depends.

By the strict passenger-limit rules in the Core Book Sidebar, drones have no passenger slots.

Yet in Arsenal, some drones are CLEARLY designed to carry people around - The Robot Wheelchair(steed) the Walking Medibed(Orderly) or the Rolling Medibed(Crashcart autodoc).

The Kludge version involves using the Mod Size Rules to put a Rigger Cocoon on a drone of sufficient size to take the mod. I believe rigger coccon is a Standard size mod(as opposed to micro, mini, or all.)

My preffered middle ground method is to use the size/cost/threshold for the Ejection Seat mod, because its about the right price/diffuculty to install a bloody seat on something.

The easiest method is to have his 'transforming drone' really actually be a 'refluffed motorbike'. Large Drones go up to body 4, Cycles start at body 4, or just use that overlap/comparison as a basis for judgement on whatever you end up deciding.

But yes, this is a pretty doable thing, the only question is how much annoying fiddly rules drek you want to involve.
My advice: You're the GM, make something up, and use existing similiar-but-not-quite mechanics as a meterstick for whatever you come up with: A motorized buttcushion is a pretty reasonable request, especially when such drones exist already.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 2 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

If it helps, the Special Machinery/Storage option suggests a mod slot size of a quarter the Body of the thing you're trying to put into the vehicle, presumably rounded up.

-k

+Quote Post
VykosDarkSoul
post Apr 2 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 50,732

........I must never let my rigger player see this post....lol

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Apr 2 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

I'll have to talk to my player about how far he wants to take the "transformer" part of the concept. If it's just fluff, that's fine. If he wants radically different capabilities for the "vehicle" and "robot" forms, I might have to put my foot down.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Apr 2 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

For a 'transforming' robot, the best compromise I've seen is a Walker Mode mod that can be turned on/off. Its a fairly simple stat adjustment, much like suspension/tire mods. Basically kind of similiar to the Hovercraft Mod that allows you to use both.

Its also fairly similiar to how the Steel Lynx works, I think - there was one drone in shadowrun my GM told me about, which was a wheeled gunbot with the wheels mounted on extended legs. So it could both drive around, or put the brakes on and clomp around if it has to deal with stairs.

If you tell me what your players WANTS I can probabably stat it for you.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 2 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

i am thinking T-Bob now O.o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Bob
Simply have a manservant and give him retractable wheels?

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 2 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I had a 1st edition character that was paraplegic, had a seat stuck on the back of Steel Lynx replacing the turret, as a wheelchair.

That required a ton of houserules, yes.

-k

+Quote Post
rlor
post Apr 2 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 42,612

A player in our game (who ditched the character in favor of a different one) wanted a similar thing that basically operated as the motorcycle/robot from "Rideback" Ref link.

He took a Contrail from Arsenal (10 mod slots) and kitted it out with 2 arms, smart tires, gyro, and walker mode (and a couple of other things I believe). With the type of die pool handling bonus he'll get from all that his lack of speed shouldn't be much of an issue in a chase and you can keep the transformation as fluff.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 2 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yes, you definitely see that kind of setup in threads. I wouldn't call it a transformer at all, but you do end up with a big vehicle with arms and legs.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Apr 3 2012, 07:16 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 2 2012, 03:49 PM) *
So, at the character creation session on Saturday, one of my players asked me if he could ride around on the back of a transforming drone. I have no particular problem with the idea, I just don't know how to do it mechanically. Is there some existing vehicle mod, or do I need to homebrew something?

maybe not with a Drone ,but what about the Horseman Catterpillar. If You add a walking Modus to the wheels and the Option with the two Robot Arms you have a kind of Transformer Car--->Bot

HokaHey
Medicineman

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 3 2012, 07:35 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 3 2012, 08:16 AM) *
maybe not with a Drone ,but what about the Horseman Catterpillar. If You add a walking Modus to the wheels and the Option with the two Robot Arms you have a kind of Transformer Car--->Bot

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Its described to be the size of a motorcycle in 'road' mode and 'slightly taller' than a human.

So, say about 1-1,5 meters wide and about 2 meters long?

Walker Mode
The transport mechanism of the drone or vehicle is completely
swapped out for one that turns it into a walker, or at least
provides it with multiple independent wheels or tracks so that
it can handle most obstacles with the same ease as a human

So, it could look like a Fuchikoma with multiple legs with small wheels in order to handle stairs. YES! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
It does become rather slow though. We counter this by saying that this is a similar model to the Horseman called the Fuchikoma (Japanese Import) that has 1 point lower armor but +20% base speed.

2 points for legs
1 point for Ruthenium Polymer Coating
1 FREE POINT
2 points for 10 points of concealed armor

Depending on the GM we could also include SMG cyberguns in each Mechanical arm as the rules suggests it can be done:
At the gamemaster’s discretion, full arms can be tricked out
with accessories just like a full cyberlimb (see pp. 335–337, SR4,
and pp. 44–48, Augmentation). Th e gamemaster has fi nal say
over what accessories a mechanical arm can take.

We skip a winch and add one grapple gun to each arm as well.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Apr 3 2012, 07:39 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

How small do you want to go with the vehicle? Adding rigger adaptation to any vehicle will make it a full drone. Any vehicle with a pilot rating (i.e. any vehicle in the books) can be controlled remotely or by command. The rigger adaptation is only needed to jump in.

Transforming capabilities are not really supported by the rules. Contrary to the hovercraft mod, the vehicle with the walker mod cannot keep its normal form of movement. You will be in hoserule territory.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 3 2012, 07:50 AM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Apr 3 2012, 08:39 AM) *
Transforming capabilities are not really supported by the rules. Contrary to the hovercraft mod, the vehicle with the walker mod cannot keep its normal form of movement. You will be in hoserule territory.

Unfortunately yes.

Transforming technology creates a hybrid which means it should have some definitive weakness if it could actually change form since it is not as optimized for its role as say a car as compared to a amphibious vehicle.

Perhaps loose an X amount of modification slots? 1/2 the amount of normal slots since there is extra equipment that actually makes the vehicle change its freaking shape (well, in this case I imagine Optimus Prime level of transformation).

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 3 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

I know I'm being silly, but how vital is the 'transformer' aspect here? Because it's just wacky and not SR; I'm not saying you can't houserule something (anything) into the game, but not everything necessarily belongs there. When importing things from incompatible canons, this is almost always the case.

That said, obviously do whatever is fun if the the answer to that question *is* 'vital'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 3 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #16

Runner

I dont think the transforming aspect is very viable but a vehicle/drone with multiple travel modes can be very versatile.

Still, what would the MINIMUM size have to be to carry someone?

It appears that a BOD 3 drone can carry up to 300KG of troll since all you need is metahuman customization to it. But what if you make a FLYING drone? I'd say you require a large drone if you want to fly as they need the power to lift themselves AND you.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 3 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, the SR4 rules famously avoid any questions like that (occupancy, cargo, … hell, *size*; also weight/weight cap of anything). I doubt I'd allow Meta Customization to do *that* (TANSTAAFL and all that).

The 'can I ride a flying drone' question has been answered several times, but it usually breaks down to a) 'the rules don't say I can't and screw you!; and b) 'no, that's ridiculous and stop making zoom noises with your mouth'. At best, certain drones seem capable of carrying people as *cargo*, but not as passengers. And not all drones are cargo-capable, so you should assume that their performance stats are based on *not* carrying heavy cargo. For non-drone vehicles, it seems appropriate to allow trolls without necessarily changing anything (maybe Meta Customized, for seats and doors, etc.), but common sense should reign: you can't have the same number of 300kg trolls as you could have had of 80kg humans.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 3 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 3 2012, 01:23 PM) *
common sense should reign: you can't have the same number of 300kg trolls as you could have had of 80kg humans.

I've been toying with the idea of using Armor rules for carrying weight on vehicles.

Vehicle BOD X2 = Maximum BOD carrying weight. Since there are few natural BOD 10 trolls (that is base attribute not modified by ware or magic) should mean that most people can be carried by a drone.

So, the following:

MIN Size: Small Drone
Max 'weight': BOD X 2

Each point of BOD above the maximum allowed reduce vehicle Acceleration, Speed and operation time by 10%.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 3 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes, exactly as I was thinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Because SR4 doesn't care about this stuff, it's probably a bit of a kluge and will required manual tweaking. Cargo-bearing vehicles would likely have somewhat different stats (perhaps '+X Body for the purpose of weight capacity', kind of thing?), but it's probably good enough to handwave a bit.

These kind of details aren't necessarily important for SR4 in normal cases (there's a reason we don't track the weight of guns and things), but when people start getting silly with their personal transformer mecha (sigh)… it's nice to have some fallback plans.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 3 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 3 2012, 01:17 PM) *
These kind of details aren't necessarily important for SR4 in normal cases (there's a reason we don't track the weight of guns and things), but when people start getting silly with their personal transformer mecha (sigh)… it's nice to have some fallback plans.

Exactly, it more useful when it comes to the plausability(?) of a piece of equipment or an action.

Perhaps one can do the same thing to guns?

Cannot carry gun more than BOD X 2 damage value before +1 recoil per body point affects firing. Prevents BOD 2 Pixies from hauling around Panther Cannons (sure, they can always levitate them...)

0,5 square meter of space taken per 1 point of BOD? Ok, BOD 10 troll would take up 5 square meters of space, well, perhaps if he stands up and spins around with his arms flailing...

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Apr 3 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

Careful. It is not impossible to create a gnome-ghoul with a body stat of 11, possibly higher with the use of magic and/or Bioware.
Personally I think that the body stat doesn't indicate the height, but rather how tough something really is.

I've tried to build a drone with the capacity to carry someone, but nothing really satisfying came out of it...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 3 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

The same, unfortunately, goes for vehicles and things as well. There simply is no good size/weight stat, so Body *does* get pressed (however awkwardly) into that role (Movement, drone 'sizes', Special Equip size, etc.). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Apr 3 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

Yep, you're right. I always envisioned this more as a guideline, though, as vague as it is...

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 3 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (Modular Man @ Apr 3 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Careful. It is not impossible to create a gnome-ghoul with a body stat of 11

I did write unaugmented body value (that is without bio/cyber/magic) and it will be a stretch to get BOD 11 gnome with just starting attribute + qualities.

Meh, ghoul, count him as a fat dwarf then and buy a bigger drone to sit in.

Giants on the other hand...

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Apr 3 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 3 2012, 04:41 PM) *
The same, unfortunately, goes for vehicles and things as well. There simply is no good size/weight stat, so Body *does* get pressed (however awkwardly) into that role (Movement, drone 'sizes', Special Equip size, etc.). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)
Maybe make it BOD+STR instead of BOD*2. Muscle is also a significant part of the overall mass. You should also decide whether to use natural or augmented attributes. Depending on the source of the augmentation there is reason for either.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.