IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How does a phantasm illusion interact with cybereyes/headware memory?
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 6 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #1

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,445

Okay, so, here's a thought. Say that four runners, three Awakened and uncybered, and the fourth quite extensively cybered in the headware department, are suddenly confronted with a Phantasm (not a Trid Phantasm) of a fire-breathing, pissed-off Dragon.

The fourth one has Rating 4 cybereyes with all the trimmings, and an implanted commlink where things she sees can be recorded for posterity.

The description of Mana Illusions state that they ".. affect the mind and are ineffective against technological viewing systems like cameras." Technically speaking, this character's entire method of vision is cameras.

So, does the fire-breathing dragon show up to her, or not? I'm thinking it does, since she's a valid target for the spell, and it makes her believe she's seeing the spell - if she was a valid target but was viewing the scene in, say, a mirror, or from a screen, she would appropriately believe there was a dragon behind her/on the camera.

But, what about her headware memory. Does it record a Dragon, too? It is, after all, magically considered a part of her since she paid for it with Essence. But technically speaking, that Dragon is not there, it's not reflecting any actual light into the photoreceptors of her cyber-eyes.

I think it wouldn't, am I wrong? The dragon isn't actually there, she's just being mindfucked into thinking it is.

So, my question is, assuming I'm right, what happens if, during this encounter, she takes a moment to, via her image link, review the exact scene her eyes are recording from her headware memory, just a split-second ago? She's no longer conceptually "viewing" the phantasm, she's reviewing a photograph, kind of like taking a Polaroid with a nonexistent development time. So, while she' sees' that dragon out there, the picture-in-picture instant replay is showing a fat lot of nothing. At this point, with any sort of magical theory in her at all (and living with three Awakened people, you tend to pick this kind of thing up,) she should recognize that she's fallen victim to a mana illusion.

Is the illusion automatically broken? Or is my conclusion spurious to start with?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 6 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I'd say everyone is scared as hell and runs.
In other cases, RAW says that cyber senses paid for with essence are considered regular senses so far as magic goes. So, same goes for this. Running it on a delay like in a WOD game doesn't beat it. Cause it's magic.

edit > The Vampire power Obfuscate is uber, but can be defeated by security screens running off of the recorded image from the security camera, rather than "live".

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Apr 6 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

I believe this is why Trid Phantasm exists. While the Cybereyes are paid for with essence, they are most certainly cameras. You might affect the character's mind, but they'd be getting contradictory information from their eyes.

But if you use Trid Phantasm, then it's not a problem, because Trid Phantasm affects electronics. Ditto for Improved Invisibility.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 7 2012, 01:30 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Viewing your headware memory might reveal a (non-trid) illusion, but it would probably also eat up at least a free action, possibly even a simple action, and it wouldn't break the illusion for the character's "real-time" sight. Trying to get around this by, say, having a micro-second delay where the cybereyes record, then play back, the scene, would probably result in some kind of penalty. Your actions will be slightly out of synch, and keep in mind that a combat turn is only about three seconds long.

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Apr 7 2012, 01:34 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,409

Illusions are tricky things to adjudicate.

IMO:

As a mana spell, it affects the minds of the individuals viewing it. Whether their own flesh-and-blood eyeballs, or their cybereyes, view something there or not, their minds perceive that there's a raging dragon there.

Physically, there's not much difference between an eyeball and a cybereye: they both take in light rays, and converts them to neural impulses which the brain then interprets.

The mana spell alters the viewers minds to think that there's a dragon. I might say that running their eyes on delay would give them a bonus to resist, but they'd take a penalty to initiative. Once the spell ends, or anyone else not affected by the illusion, who viewed the recording would see them all freaking out at nothing.

The physical version of the spell actually creates light/sound/heat/etc., so would affect cameras/recording normally.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 7 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Horror

I know that Trid Phantasm creates an optical illusion which fools sensors, that's exactly why it's a Phantasm and not a Trid Phantasm.

As an aside, what happens if, in a fit of insanity, you decide to astrally percieve/project? Spells, even mana spells that can work on the Astral plane, don't cross the barrier, only functioning on the plane on which they're cast, so if you looked in the Astral, you wouldn't see a dragon, but you would see a gigantic active illusion spell. Likewise, what happens if you attempt to attack this "dragon" with a spell from the physical, trying to draw a spell line of sight to something that isn't really there?

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Apr 7 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,409

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 6 2012, 10:17 PM) *
I know that Trid Phantasm creates an optical illusion which fools sensors, that's exactly why it's a Phantasm and not a Trid Phantasm.

As an aside, what happens if, in a fit of insanity, you decide to astrally percieve/project? Spells, even mana spells that can work on the Astral plane, don't cross the barrier, only functioning on the plane on which they're cast, so if you looked in the Astral, you wouldn't see a dragon, but you would see a gigantic active illusion spell. Likewise, what happens if you attempt to attack this "dragon" with a spell from the physical, trying to draw a spell line of sight to something that isn't really there?

Oh, I know you did. I'm just laying out the reasoning behind my argument about why the mana version would affect someone with cybereyes. Namely, that by affecting the individual's mind instead of their cybereyes directly, they see the same illusion despite it being a mana spell.

I think perhaps, in both the astral projecting and image delay scenarios, the individual should quickly realize something fishy is going on. Whether or not they then realize it is an illusion might depend on which they believe is wonky: that it's not appearing on the astral/on their playback, or that it's actually in front of them. Hence a bonus to a resist test (and potentially a large one), but not necessarily immunity.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Apr 7 2012, 03:41 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

How about stuff like radar or ultrasound?

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Apr 7 2012, 04:05 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

I'd expect radar or ultrasound to reveal the illusion for what it is, unless the sensor is sending its information directly to the brain. A visual overlay via an image link is likely the most common thing to do for these sensors among cybered characters and NPCs alike.

As for astrally perceiving an illusion, right from SR4a, page 191, "Without attempting to read an aura, a magician can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, spirit, living creature, etc.)." Just looking at an aura should tell you it's a spell, and not something else. Two or more hits on an assensing test should blow it out of the water that you're looking at an illusion.

+Quote Post
HaxDBeheader
post Apr 7 2012, 06:33 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 51,183

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 7 2012, 01:30 AM) *
Viewing your headware memory might reveal a (non-trid) illusion, but it would probably also eat up at least a free action, possibly even a simple action, and it wouldn't break the illusion for the character's "real-time" sight. Trying to get around this by, say, having a micro-second delay where the cybereyes record, then play back, the scene, would probably result in some kind of penalty. Your actions will be slightly out of synch, and keep in mind that a combat turn is only about three seconds long.

This precise scenario hasn't come up in my games but I would adjudicate it as: The camera records the physical image but as long as the illusion is still being maintained your mind will overlay what it's being told to see over top of reality whether it's live or has a delay. If you review the recording once the illusion ends you will see what was really recorded.

This is the unpleasant flip side to cyber-eyes working to cast spells out of (looking at you, cyber-mages); their integration into your aura makes them vulnerable to some things they normally wouldn't be. Speaking as someone who has played a mage with stacked cyber-eyes I think it's a fair trade.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 7 2012, 06:59 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Agreed: as long as your mind is affected, your mind is affected.

+Quote Post
Midas
post Apr 9 2012, 05:36 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 30,406

Interesting, I always thought cyber-eyes would only be affected by physical illusions. Perhaps this is a throwback to SR1 days, will have to check the spell description again ...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 9 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #13

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

Any mana illusion basically bypass the senses, going straight to the mind.

The thing about radar and ultrasound is that both are active (tho can potentially be run in passive if there is a nearby active source, like for spotting motion detectors). They radiate specific kinds of energy and then listen for a echo, assembling a representation of what is out there based on that echo.

Normal eyesight, even thermo, basically samples existing energies, be them reflected (that is what gives something its color after all, in that the spectrum not absorbed is reflected away) or radiated (just about anything active gives off heat above and beyond ambient).

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 9 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #14

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Midas @ Apr 9 2012, 07:36 AM) *
Interesting, I always thought cyber-eyes would only be affected by physical illusions. Perhaps this is a throwback to SR1 days, will have to check the spell description again ...

The problem here is, that if it were like that, cybereyes would not allow magicians to target spells through them either.

Therefore, they decided to have cyberware (which become a part of you and your "Essence") count as if they were "natural", basically.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Apr 9 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 6 2012, 09:34 PM) *

1. Roll their resistance tests (add counterspelling if the mage is being smart or you consider that SOP) secretely, then describe it based off of what the PC believes to be reality. Remember the phantasm affects all senses.

2. In case of the basic phantasm spell, the PC percieves it in all the senses including vision, but the recording of it would show nothing. If it was trid phantasm, it would show up (assuming it beat OR).

+Quote Post
Midas
post Apr 10 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 30,406

QUOTE (Thanee @ Apr 9 2012, 08:31 AM) *
The problem here is, that if it were like that, cybereyes would not allow magicians to target spells through them either.

Therefore, they decided to have cyberware (which become a part of you and your "Essence") count as if they were "natural", basically.

Bye
Thanee

Actually, back in the SR1 day optical cybereyes were fine for mages but electronic ones weren't. All mages got optical cybereyes, and were therefore able to channel the mana through them. Thermographic and low light mods to optical cybereyes were also fine in this way.

I stand corrected for SR4A, although I would agree that anyone with cybereyes who ducks behind cover to review the camera image will be able to see through the illusion; as noted ultrasound/radar/motion sensors would similarly be unaffected.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 10 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #17

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

You can get into some funky situations if get hit with a mana illusion while you have something like threat assessment agent software monitoring your cybereye video feeds.

You'll be seeing one thing, and the agent will be AR-marking other things that don't appear from your point of view to be there. Like a rough outline of a dude might be appear in your field of vision, with AROs indicating carried weapons, combat notes, etc. but it's apparently overlaying nothing.

You, of course, might be the victim of a mana invisibility spell. Your agent would be unaffected, so it quite correctly would marking an approaching mana-cloaked threat. Do you conclude that you're ensorceled, or that the software is having a glitch?

-k

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 10 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #18

Horror

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 10 2012, 02:44 AM) *
You can get into some funky situations if get hit with a mana illusion while you have something like threat assessment agent software monitoring your cybereye video feeds.

You'll be seeing one thing, and the agent will be AR-marking other things that don't appear from your point of view to be there. Like a rough outline of a dude might be appear in your field of vision, with AROs indicating carried weapons, combat notes, etc. but it's apparently overlaying nothing.

You, of course, might be the victim of a mana invisibility spell. Your agent would be unaffected, so it quite correctly would marking an approaching mana-cloaked threat. Do you conclude that you're ensorceled, or that the software is having a glitch?

The correct answer is to shoot everything. Only way to be sure.

+Quote Post
Kolinho
post Apr 10 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 50,728

QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 7 2012, 02:34 AM) *

IMO:

As a mana spell, it affects the minds of the individuals viewing it. Whether their own flesh-and-blood eyeballs, or their cybereyes, view something there or not, their minds perceive that there's a raging dragon there.

Physically, there's not much difference between an eyeball and a cybereye: they both take in light rays, and converts them to neural impulses which the brain then interprets.

The mana spell alters the viewers minds to think that there's a dragon. I might say that running their eyes on delay would give them a bonus to resist, but they'd take a penalty to initiative. Once the spell ends, or anyone else not affected by the illusion, who viewed the recording would see them all freaking out at nothing.

The physical version of the spell actually creates light/sound/heat/etc., so would affect cameras/recording normally.

That's pretty much how I see it.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 7 2012, 03:17 AM) *

Heh heh. The Mage would taking some risk Astrally perceiving rather than powering up a manaball, just in case it's an illusion! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 10 2012, 10:10 AM) *
The correct answer is to shoot everything. Only way to be sure.

Aye, always an option.

+Quote Post
rlor
post Apr 10 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 42,612

I guess I'm in the minority here.

If the phantasm affected sight and sound then I'd say the runner with cyber-eyes wouldn't see the dragon but would hear it. So everyone else would see a dragon while the person with cyber-eyes would hear an "invisible" dragon. If it affected all senses then even if they had cyber-ears they would feel the heat of the flames etc. I'd leave it up to the player to determine for his character if he just happened to fail a check to see through the "dragon's" improved invisibility spell or if it was an illusion.

Things like ultrasound etc could influence that thought process towards illusion and away from "I failed my test everyone else passed".

+Quote Post
Kolinho
post Apr 10 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 50,728

QUOTE (rlor @ Apr 10 2012, 05:33 PM) *
I guess I'm in the minority here.

If the phantasm affected sight and sound then I'd say the runner with cyber-eyes wouldn't see the dragon but would hear it. So everyone else would see a dragon while the person with cyber-eyes would hear an "invisible" dragon. If it affected all senses then even if they had cyber-ears they would feel the heat of the flames etc. I'd leave it up to the player to determine for his character if he just happened to fail a check to see through the "dragon's" improved invisibility spell or if it was an illusion.

Things like ultrasound etc could influence that thought process towards illusion and away from "I failed my test everyone else passed".

I think the point is that an illusion affects the mind and not the senses. So it more fools the mind to believe something is there when it's not. The trid version does the same but to technological 'minds' too. Cybereyes are still connected to an organic brain, which is affected by the basic version of the spell.

+Quote Post
rlor
post Apr 10 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #22

Target

QUOTE (Kolinho @ Apr 10 2012, 03:23 PM) *
I think the point is that an illusion affects the mind and not the senses. So it more fools the mind to believe something is there when it's not. The trid version does the same but to technological 'minds' too. Cybereyes are still connected to an organic brain, which is affected by the basic version of the spell.

Except for me the cyber-eyes cannot perceive it because its a machine. It seems to me the same logic would apply to a blind man, he'd suddenly see the dragon even though he has no method of seeing that would detect it which just doesn't make sense to me.

Would someone wearing non-optical glasses/contacts/goggles be affected by it? Its not a part of them but still records the image and then displays it back to them so it seems like they'd be immune.

I still think it would affect their mind, I just don't think that senses that cannot perceive it would feed in that portion of the illusion, something that a player can easily explain away with an improved invisibility, silence spell, etc.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 11 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #23

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

Think of it more that the spell tells the mind "there is a dragon up ahead!", and the mind fills in the blanks related to the various senses available.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 11 2012, 02:36 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (rlor @ Apr 10 2012, 07:41 PM) *
Except for me the cyber-eyes cannot perceive it because its a machine.

And biological eyes cannot perceive it because nothing is atually there to perceive. Which does not matter at all, the brain can perceive things without a stimulus that would normally trigger this perception. We call it "hallucination" when no magic is involved...

+Quote Post
rlor
post Apr 11 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #25

Target

In which case I'd view it as a form of mind control. So reviewing the image would still show it to you as you're still under its effects (assuming the spell is still sustained).

I think the part in the illusion description that says "Some mana illusions affect the targets senses directly, others affect the senses of anyone perceiving the subject of the spell" is telling. If you don't have the sense then that sense cannot be targeted (a blind man won't suddenly SEE the phantasm dragon). Likewise a cyber-eyed person has a technological sense so it cannot be affected by the spell either. They'd still get info from their other non-technological senses though that may cause them to draw the wrong conclusion.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.