IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is there any reason one can't mount two sidecars?
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 8 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,445

Sure, it would probably look strange (not to mention shoot your handling all to hell,) but is there any particular reason you can't mount two sidecars - say, one for a passenger, one for a machine gun? Or one for a machine gun and one for a rocket launcher?

Also, is there any compelling reason why a sidecar can't be a modular thing - something you could take off or mount with a few hours' work and a few Mechanics checks? So if you're planning to go driving somewhere it's considered impolite to roll around packing heavy artillery, for instance, you can take the guncart off?

Obviously, besides 'runners, I'm thinking of the sort of thing that go-gangers would do when going to war.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 24)
Chainsaw Samurai
post Apr 8 2012, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,890

There is only one reason why you can't mount 2 side cars. 2 is a number which is less than 4. 4 is the right answer.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 8 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

a sidecar should have space for both a pintle-mount and a passenger to fire the mounted gun O.o

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 8 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Horror

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 8 2012, 04:13 AM) *
a sidecar should have space for both a pintle-mount and a passenger to fire the mounted gun O.o

Or alternatively, just use a remote-control turret to the fire the mounted gun.

Specifically, I'm coming up with an Ancients Lieutenant that has taken a shine to one of my players. She drives a Horizon-Double Revolution. (And yes, I know it's technically "Doble," but I misread it the first time and by now it's gotten weight of use behind it in my game.)

It works out that a sidecar adds a net of +2 mod slots to the vehicle. It adds +3 body, but takes up a mod slot to use. I figure it's kosher if the mod slot you use to add the sidecar is one of the mod slots the sidecar itself gives you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Basically, when arming for war, I figure she attaches a sidecar to the bike - one has a Shiawase Nemesis LMG (so you can spray without shooting your chummers, natch.) If an extended engagement is expected, she can add an additional sidecar which carries two extra bins of belt-feed ammunition, feeding through one of those ammo feed rectangular tubes that gets fed through the main body of the bike, under her legs.

Or there's the secret weapon BoomCart - the same set-up as the GunCart, but in place of an LMG it mounts a Gonryu automatic grenade launcher. And since the Gonryu is a belt-feed weapon, per the vehicle mounted belt-fed weapon rules, it upgrades to 250 rounds per belt, so it can carry 250 rounds in its own cart, or 750 if, for some insane reason, there's a need to pack that much boom into one bike. (More likely, it would be mounted opposite the Nemesis.)

It also has Gecko Tips on it, because why wouldn't you want a motorbike that you can back up a sturdy highway pillar or skyscraper and ascend. The Spikes will never see it coming when you ambush them and open fire on them from above and in a weird spot! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Raiki
post Apr 8 2012, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,080

I like it. I'm not sure how feasible it is to use gecko tips to drive a monocycle up a wall/pillar...but other than that, I like it.

~R~

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Apr 8 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

Huh, I never noticed that extra body deal. Hmm...a Dodge Guardian with four sidecars has 20 body, and still has 12 mod slots left too. It's not very fast, but it is cheap. You could even make room for another one by adding in Engine Customizations, for a 23-body, 6-passenger "motorcycle."

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 8 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #7

Horror

QUOTE (Raiki @ Apr 8 2012, 06:21 AM) *
I like it. I'm not sure how feasible it is to use gecko tips to drive a monocycle up a wall/pillar...but other than that, I like it.

Admit it, you like the idea, though. And I figure it would stand a good chance of driving up anything heavy-duty and hardened, what with having an absolutely enormous contact patch. (Remember, it's a giant Smart Wheel, so it can extend and retract to produce the largest possible contact patch.)

Sometimes, the Rule of Cool bends the Laws of Physics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Apr 8 2012, 06:27 AM) *
Huh, I never noticed that extra body deal. Hmm...a Dodge Guardian with four sidecars has 20 body, and still has 12 mod slots left too. It's not very fast, but it is cheap. You could even make room for another one by adding in Engine Customizations, for a 23-body, 6-passenger "motorcycle."

It would have a top speed of 24 kilometers per hour... It... I... I can't...

My brain rebels at the concept!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 8 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Then let's go deeper!
A Trike!
Or Monocycle!
With sidecars!

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 8 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #9

Horror

Um, the Horizon Revolution is a monocycle.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 8 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

It is?
I don't know much about the SR4 toys, i just heard that there are monocycles in there . .

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Apr 8 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

FOUR sidecars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZdkItsoP4

Put them on cars too... Why not? You just making them unwieldier and slower. Eh... ok... the text just mentions adding A sidecar to a motorccle... but it doesnt EXCLUDE anything else expressly *g*.

EDIT: Wait it does... Motorcycle only... meh... that's lame, hehe.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Apr 8 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Wasn't the Murdercycle something like this but with a ramplate?

NM- it had a rigger cocoon.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 8 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The book specifically suggests putting two sidecars on the 'big wheel' monocycle.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 8 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I've never mounted asidecar on any bike I've ridden , RL, let's put aside the handling and you can't do that on a mon-wheel, you need the longer wjhell base of a real bike just to lead into that. It should be easy to make it modulae , of course a glitch might be a seperation like an old silent movie.

The concern would be does the bike engine have enough power to pull that much weight? A big bike like a Honda viking might pull it off, no pun intended, but not if it has to carry a troll too.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 8 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

RL concerns aren't really a factor, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Apr 8 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

I agree, War Wheels in SR would be awesome.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 9 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Wheel_(comics) might actually be possible. if a bit smaller . .

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Apr 9 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 8 2012, 03:24 AM) *
It works out that a sidecar adds a net of +2 mod slots to the vehicle. It adds +3 body, but takes up a mod slot to use. I figure it's kosher if the mod slot you use to add the sidecar is one of the mod slots the sidecar itself gives you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The beauty of a sidecar isn't that it increases the body.

Its that you can Overmod it with a Facility level tools.
Its hella HARD to do it, but is possible.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 9 2012, 01:53 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

you're also increasing weight, unless you up mod the engine and handling speed, accel and handling should drop like a rock.when you do the math my 1200 bike RL has about 50bhp- massive for a bike with a small woman on it but start to add on weight like multiple sidecars and it will start to struggle. sure it can do one but the drag will start to tell when you get more...creative

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 9 2012, 02:02 AM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

That's already in the rules. Major reductions to Speed, Accel, and Handling.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 9 2012, 02:07 AM
Post #21

Horror

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 8 2012, 09:02 PM) *
That's already in the rules. Major reductions to Speed, Accel, and Handling.

Ironically enough, you can compensate for this by adding the TurboCart - another sidecar with two mod slots spent on turbochargers. No, I don't know how it works either, I suspect it contains high-throughput batteries that send a motherload of juice to the main wheel's drive engines for acceleration. The result is a 20% reduction in base speed and base acceleration, and then a numerical bonus of +10/+20 acceleration.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 9 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

That's fine with me. You're spending money and slots. (Of course, always subject to GM approval.)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Apr 9 2012, 05:44 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

The biggest use I've found for motorbikes with sidecars is in making walker mode powersuits and cyborgs conversions.
You can use sidecars to bring the body up to near the limit for walker moding, and hardly care about the speed hits because even with the penalty you're still way faster than everything else on foot.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Apr 9 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Apr 9 2012, 07:44 AM) *
The biggest use I've found for motorbikes with sidecars is in making walker mode powersuits and cyborgs conversions.
You can use sidecars to bring the body up to near the limit for walker moding, and hardly care about the speed hits because even with the penalty you're still way faster than everything else on foot.
Why don't you just use the Patrol 1? BOD 10, Great Handling, Armor etc. Only drawback, it's restricted.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Apr 9 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 8 2012, 11:24 AM) *
Or alternatively, just use a remote-control turret to the fire the mounted gun.It works out that a sidecar adds a net of +2 mod slots to the vehicle. It adds +3 body, but takes up a mod slot to use. I figure it's kosher if the mod slot you use to add the sidecar is one of the mod slots the sidecar itself gives you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't think picking the slots from teh extra brought by the sidecar would be good : you need to install the sidecar's fixation on the bike and that's going to eat into ti's basick mod slots.

Taking the slots from the sidecar can give utterly ludicrous results where you ads a sidecar on teh left, then uses it's extra slots to fix one on the right.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.