IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Physical Barrier Spell, how big is a "molecule"?
pbangarth
post Apr 10 2012, 04:51 AM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

On page 211 of SR4A, it says,
Physical Barrier creates a physical wall. Anything the size of a molecule
(or less) can pass through the barrier, including air or other gases.
Anything bigger treats the barrier as a normal physical wall.

Water is made of free moving molecules, but it is a liquid, not a gas. Is the barrier created by Physical Barrier permeable by water, or for that matter other liquids?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 10 2012, 05:04 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,387

hehehe....

The more I try and answer this, the more I can't. A solid is simply a freakin' huge molecule, after all...

+Quote Post
Midas
post Apr 10 2012, 06:20 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 30,406

The spell description specifically says air and gasses, so for water I would say no; you could argue that the hydrostatic interactions between the water molecules prevent it getting through if you are looking for a technical reason.

Saying that, it could be argued that water as a small molecule (at 18 its molecular weight is less than larger more complex molecules such as smoke, after all) might seep through the barrier slowly, especially if the pressure is high. We would definitely be talking seeping here, so the barrier should to all intensive purposes be effective against a water hose or water jet spell. Not sure I would like to be the mage testing it out as a makeshift escape bubble from a sinking submarine or ship, though ...

GM call, either way.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Apr 10 2012, 06:29 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 10 2012, 07:04 AM) *
A solid is simply a freakin' huge molecule, after all...

But a magician is not a chemist or physicist, so he might not know that. He who created the spell believes a molecule is something very very tiny, less than nanometer size. You see, it's about believe, which makes this spell well suiting to a shaman, but a hermetic might struggle with the formula.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Apr 10 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

If a molecule is going to slip through unimpaired, a monowhip should slice through one just fine...

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Apr 10 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

They probably wanted to say "it's air permeable but otherwise solid" but failed chemistry forever.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 10 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Guys, guys, they said 'anything the *size* of a molecule' can pass… they just didn't say *which* molecule. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Clearly it's a smallish one.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 10 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #8

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

I would say yes, liquids can permeate through a barrier, but very slowly.

So, if you use Barrier as a rain-shield, for example, drops of water would collect along the inner surface and drop down, but the bulk of the downpour would be deflected.

A monowhip would be stopped, because of its length, not its thickness.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Irion
post Apr 10 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

And solids are not molecules in any instance. There are some freaking big molecueles out there... True.
For example a leaf is not a molecule, a steelbar is not really a molecule, plastic is not a molecule and so on.

But yes, some liquides would be able to pass.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 10 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

If you see someone hiding behind a Physical Barrier, why not just steam them out? It doesn't block gasses, so just throw some superheated water at them. Does it block the Smoke Indirect Combat Spells?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 10 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Why would you have some superheated water handy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds like a GM call. By default (just because they're spells), you'd assume it blocks all indirect combat spells, even Light, Sound, etc.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 10 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 10 2012, 07:54 AM) *
Why would you have some superheated water handy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds like a GM call. By default (just because they're spells), you'd assume it blocks all indirect combat spells, even Light, Sound, etc.

In case there are Physical Barrier spells? Maybe you're playing a Seattle game where it's wet a lot, and you Fireball the area, causing little damage to the people in the barrier but superheating the water around it?

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 10 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 10 2012, 01:01 PM) *
In case there are Physical Barrier spells? Maybe you're playing a Seattle game where it's wet a lot, and you Fireball the area, causing little damage to the people in the barrier but superheating the water around it?

Then why not just shoot a fireball at the barrier? The superheated air goes through and everybody is toasted...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 10 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

Haha! It's not *that* wet, and I'm not even sure SR4 has any rules for affecting water (or air) in that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Apr 10 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

Proteins are molecules. The largest known protein has an empirical formula of C169723H270464N45688O52243S912.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Apr 10 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Molecules are made of atoms with covalent bonds (they share electrons). Solids are made of atoms or molecules with any kind of chemical bonds that prevent them from flowing. There are solids only made of covalent bonds, like diamond and silicon, which can be considered as a single molecule.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 10 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

That's why the rule refers to some specific (unnamed) reference molecule.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Apr 10 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 10 2012, 12:51 AM) *
On page 211 of SR4A, it says,

Water is made of free moving molecules, but it is a liquid, not a gas. Is the barrier created by Physical Barrier permeable by water, or for that matter other liquids?

I have always interpreted it as being like so...

If the object in question is a molecule or smaller, then it passes through. Thus a bullet would not pass through the barrier. Air will pass through. Smoke will not. Water will be stopped but will seep through.

If the compound in question can be dissipated to where it is naked to the human eye, it can pass through the barrier. So aerosol knockout agents and the like, you are going down. Someone floods the area with CO2, you are going to have a bad day.

Area flooded with water? You get to watch a slow & lingering bad day.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 11 2012, 05:50 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (darthmord @ Apr 10 2012, 01:04 PM) *
I have always interpreted it as being like so...

If the object in question is a molecule or smaller, then it passes through. Thus a bullet would not pass through the barrier. Air will pass through. Smoke will not. Water will be stopped but will seep through.

If the compound in question can be dissipated to where it is naked to the human eye, it can pass through the barrier. So aerosol knockout agents and the like, you are going down. Someone floods the area with CO2, you are going to have a bad day.

Area flooded with water? You get to watch a slow & lingering bad day.

QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 10 2012, 11:28 AM) *
Molecules are made of atoms with covalent bonds (they share electrons). Solids are made of atoms or molecules with any kind of chemical bonds that prevent them from flowing. There are solids only made of covalent bonds, like diamond and silicon, which can be considered as a single molecule.

A bullet made of diamond.

+Quote Post
Raiki
post Apr 11 2012, 07:07 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,080

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 11 2012, 12:50 AM) *
A bullet made of diamond.

For when you want to kill someone *so badly* that you don't mind spending $10,000 per bullet to do so.

~R~

+Quote Post
Irion
post Apr 11 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@Neraph
Well, even a diamond does not really work... The problem would be dirt. One other molecule attached to the surface would be enough to stop break the rule...

@Raiki
Nope. To have at least a chance you would need industrial grade diamonds. Natural diamonds would not work at all. They are not "pure"...

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 11 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 948

Since its *magic* i'd say it allows 'air' (and 'gas' would be equivalent to air) so that people can breathe but stops everything else - I think it is bad to go to far with physics in regards to magic.

The question that remains then is the following.

How deep underwater can I go before the water pressure actually harms my barrier 'bubble' i've made.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Apr 11 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 11 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Since its *magic* i'd say it allows 'air' (and 'gas' would be equivalent to air) so that people can breathe but stops everything else - I think it is bad to go to far with physics in regards to magic.

The question that remains then is the following.

How deep underwater can I go before the water pressure actually harms my barrier 'bubble' i've made.

Since air gets through the barrier, either the bubble would float, or all the air would rise to the surface of the water making the barrier collapse upon itself until you are the only thing in it.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 11 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Apr 11 2012, 01:58 PM) *
Since air gets through the barrier, either the bubble would float, or all the air would rise to the surface of the water making the barrier collapse upon itself until you are the only thing in it.

Well, since the bubble does not defy gravity (levitate spell does that) then as long as the people inside the bubble weight more than the air it should sink.

Ooh, I like the shrinking bubble theory. The deeper you go the smaller the bubble becomes as it collapses unto itself, crushing the person inside it as it becomes smaller and smaller due to crushing pressure.

*squish* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 11 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

The gas would escape, leaving a vacuum.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.