IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Karma Generation finally updated in Runners Companion PDF :-)
Thanee
post Apr 29 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #1

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Got a mail from the Battlecorps, that the PDF has been updated. That was the last of the core rulebooks. And finally the Karma Generation has been set straight (with Attributes costing new Rating x5 and so on). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 29 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Street Doc

Member No.: 6,114

And praise all that is holy in this world the cover is changed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/notworthy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 29 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #3

jacked in

What was wrong with the old one? I think it was one of the better ones (much better than the old Arsenal or Augmentation for sure). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 29 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #4

Street Doc

Member No.: 6,114

I wasn't a big fan of the old "Elven Sword Crotch" cover. It was a little too contrived. This is much better, in fact its pretty good.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Apr 29 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,628

Good to see they finally got around to updating the PDF too, cant really understand why it took so long considering it should require much additional work at all over the update of the hard copy.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 29 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Does it finally have non-contradictory prices for the Fame and Gearhead qualities? If so, would you let us know what they are?

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Apr 29 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

Sadly, no, they did not correct the entry for Fame (and I assume, therefor, for Gearhead). The main entry still cites "5 to 15", but the sub-entry for Global still says "20".

EDIT: yep, Gearhead is also not corrected. Still says "5 or 10", then lists specific costs of 5 and 15.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Apr 29 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

What are the changes, anyway? Or is it only the cover art?

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 29 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #9

jacked in

Well, the references have been updated to the correct (assumed) pages in SR4A instead of SR4.

Karma Generation has been updated (as seen in the topic title).

Havn't really seen anything else, yet, but I havn't really compared them in detail either.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Apr 29 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 29 2012, 05:36 PM) *
Does it finally have non-contradictory prices for the Fame and Gearhead qualities? If so, would you let us know what they are?

You're getting your hopes a little high there...what's next, consistent AP for flechettes? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 30 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

I want to know what it says about Infected and Free Spirit PCs.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Apr 30 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 29 2012, 09:41 AM) *
I wasn't a big fan of the old "Elven Sword Crotch" cover. It was a little too contrived. This is much better, in fact its pretty good.

You are the enemy of fun.

+Quote Post
Froggie
post Apr 30 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,668

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 30 2012, 11:59 AM) *
I want to know what it says about Infected and Free Spirit PCs.

What specifically? I have both versions on my work computer. I checked the pricing table and it hasn't changed the BP cost for Infected or Free Spirit PC's.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post May 1 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (Froggie @ Apr 30 2012, 10:46 PM) *
What specifically? I have both versions on my work computer. I checked the pricing table and it hasn't changed the BP cost for Infected or Free Spirit PC's.

Has it been made explicit whether or not attribute minimums are raised when force is raised?

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post May 1 2012, 01:09 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

INFECTED:
Players can create Infected characters using the standard
character generation method presented in Shadowrun, Twentieth
Anniversary Edition. Aftr a metatype or metavariant is chosen,
the player picks the appropriate Infected quality (see p. 79), pays
the appropriate BP cost, and adjusts her Attribute maximums and
minimums according to the Infected Attribute Modi ers Table (p.
79) to re ect her new post-human limits. She may then continue
on with buying her attributes, skills, equipment, and other qualities.
Remember that a character can only have one Infected quality.

FREE SPIRITS:
Free spirits have a Force special attribute that starts with a rating
of 2.  is attribute determines a free spirit’s natural minimums
and maximums for all attributes. It also acts as the spirit’s Magic
attribute. Force increases can be purchased at character generation
for the same price as any attribute.  e natural maximum for the
Force attribute is 6, although this can be later increased through
initiation. A free spirit’s Force rating is the natural maximum for
all Physical and Mental attributes, as well as its Edge attribute—so
the player must raise Force if he wishes to raise the remaining attributes.
In addition, free spirits have the same Physical, Mental,
and Edge attributes as metahuman characters, which all start at
2 (their starting Force) at the start of character generation.
 e Infected qualities do not count against a character’s limit
of 35 BP worth of positive qualities at character generation.

Both seem pretty explicit to me. Infected attribute changes apply to both minimum and maximum. Meanwhile, a Free Spirits Attributes always havea minimum of 2, and a maximum of Force.

Is the above wording any different from before?

+Quote Post
Halinn
post May 1 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

At least the free spirit wording is the same. The "This attribute determines a free spirit's natural minimums and maximums for all attributes" part early in that paragraph is the possibly confusing part, as it can be read so that (purely RAW) raising force also raises all the other attributes, since it would change the minimum.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post May 1 2012, 04:34 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Halinn @ Apr 30 2012, 08:40 PM) *
At least the free spirit wording is the same. The "This attribute determines a free spirit's natural minimums and maximums for all attributes" part early in that paragraph is the possibly confusing part, as it can be read so that (purely RAW) raising force also raises all the other attributes, since it would change the minimum.

Exactly. What comes later does not supersede, and therefore confusion is found in some. I, however, have no problem with it working exactly as worded.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post May 1 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Neraph @ May 1 2012, 06:34 AM) *
Exactly. What comes later does not supersede, and therefore confusion is found in some. I, however, have no problem with it working exactly as worded.

Out of curiosity (good thing I'm not a cat, eh?), what do you see as the attribute minimums and maximums for free spirit PCs?

+Quote Post
Mäx
post May 1 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (snowRaven @ May 1 2012, 04:33 PM) *
Out of curiosity (good thing I'm not a cat, eh?), what do you see as the attribute minimums and maximums for free spirit PCs?

Their force, just like the rules say(I'm not Neraph, but i know with 99% certainty that he's in that camp from previous discussions of this topic)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post May 1 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

QUOTE (snowRaven @ May 1 2012, 08:33 AM) *

As written, a FSPC's attributes (physical, mental, Essence, Edge, and Magic) all start at 2. Their Magic (called Force) can be raised, and serves as their natural maximums and minimums. This means if you raise their Force to 4, all of their other attributes (physical, mental, and special) raise to 4, as their racial minimums is now 4. You can only go up to Force 6, as that limit is stated in Runner's Companion, but for 305 points having all attributes at 6 is... interesting.

A lot of people disagree, but RAW states that exactly.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post May 1 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Neraph @ May 1 2012, 12:01 PM) *
A lot of people disagree, but RAW states that exactly.

Actually, no, they don't. They state it vaguely. I would argue that:

"A free spirit’s Force rating is the natural maximum for
all Physical and Mental attributes, as well as its Edge attribute—so
the player must raise Force if he wishes to raise the remaining attributes."

... does not explicitly say that Force remains the natural minimum for any attribute at all. In fact - though it's wording is bad enough it's not explicit in eithr direction - I think it is "clearly implicit" that attributes other than Force are each raised separately, with in a "Minimum 2, maximum Force" range.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 1 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #22

jacked in

Yeah, while it could be better written, it is sufficiently clear, that the minimum is 2 (and not increased by increasing Force during character generation or later).

Only the maximum is increased, when Force is increased. The minimum is set to the starting Force, which is constant (= 2).

The whole talk about minimums and maximums makes absolutely no sense, if all Attributes would be equal to Force (as it is for regular spirits; Materialization modifiers not included).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Falconer
post May 1 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

Actually Pax, Neraph has the right of it here. All the other spirit rules STRONGLY suggest it. And your reading is completely at odds with the first sentence which says minimum == force always (not equals 2 when started, and never raised).

Also look at the cost... the cost is 250BP. Under normal build gen... that would leave a free spirit with all 5's... with 250meta, 30force/magic (55 to max out). 120 for skills/qualities/equipment... which is just about what a normal player is left with. As is typical mixing optional rules oftentimes breaks things badly as this is obviously badly broken under karmagen.

"This attribute attribute determines a free spirit’s natural minimums and maximums for all attributes." is a complete self-contained sentence. Nothing in the paragraph ever contradicts this.

The purpose of the second sentence to me is that they're restating and stressing that the rules on p108 of street magic are different. A non-PC free spirit's attributes start at it's force when it went free, but may be raised seperately above it's force by spending karma. A later bullet in the same section lists that raising force also raises all the free spirits other attributes. Which is entirely consistent with the rule stating the min & max of a PC free spirit == force.

That said, I put it in the same category as all the other cheese in runners companion, fit only for for GM NPC creation and not that far out of bounds compared to the rest of the cheese present in the book.

Here's another little tidbit I'm sure many didn't notice in the free spirit section... it's never made clear if their skills are capped. All spirits including free spirits in SM have no natural caps on skills or attributes. In fact, spirits pretty much by definition (except PC free spirits) have skills == force. Not that it matters much since even with initiation... it's almost always more cost effective just to simply raise the force to raise the attribute rather than bothering with many individual skills.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 1 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Indeed. It really, really doesn't matter. Both options are unplayable; the entire section is scrap.

+Quote Post
cndblank
post May 3 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

Any idea when the errata will be published?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.