IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open Tests, End the madness! (House Rule)
Sphynx
post Apr 13 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,437

After yet another annoying (2 games in a row) detection by an Int:2 Security Guard against the Stealth:12 adept, I've decided I -must- House Rule open tests.

Although I'm looking for suggestions, I also have one.

OpenTests: TN = 4. Most successes wins. If number of successes is a tie, highest roll wins.

Has any one else found the need to House Rule that rule?

Sphynx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Apr 13 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

It's called luck. I leave open rolls as they are. I've seen 8 dice rolled come up with a result no higher than four, and 2 dice roll a 25.

I've seen a Rating 8 Forged Credstick clobbered by a rating 4 credstick reader...8 Dice against Tn 4 losing to 4 Dice against TN 8.

I'd just look at it as the Stealth 12 adept hit the one spot on the floor that squeeks, a twig under leaves that snaps, or suddenly being illuminated by the headlights of a passing car while trying to hide in the shadows.

A skill of 12 means you're really, really friggen good, but it doesn't mean you're invisible or silent, or automatically succeed. Statistically, you'll clobber two dice with your 12. But on those rare occasions, you will lose.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 13 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

I feel your pain. I was stealthing my ass off last night with a 26 and STILL got spotted by some pissant Cascade Ork. Sphinx, it does seem stupid that someone with stealth of 12 could be so easily disocvered. Maybe adding your stealth skill number to your roll?

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Apr 13 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

The problem with eliminating Open tests is that it makes a character using stealth almost impossible to detect if you continue using the visibility modifiers as they are written. A character with stealth 6 moving in partial lighting conditions will almost never be noticed buy an INT 6 guard with Stealth(Alertness) 4(6), insofar as the character's TN will be 4 while the guard's TN will be 6. You can forget the remote possibility of ever seeing someone in a ruthenium suit if their stealth is 4 or better.

Reworking visibility modifiers presents a challenge insofar as those modifiers carry over into combat situations, so you also have to make sure that you dont screw up the game in that regard.

I certainly wouldn't mind eliminating open tests from the game, but in this particular case I find it far easier to stick with canon, even if it does cause some minor annoyances.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Apr 13 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
But on those rare occasions, you will lose.

The problem is that it's not a 'rare occasion'. As anyone who's played enough can tell you, the 12+ seems to come up more often when you roll under 4 dice than when you roll over 6 dice for some strange reason. Far too often (nearly every other game) stealth rolls flub. And yes, a stealth:12 should be nearly invisible. The chances of being detected per run should be closer to 1 in 1000, not 1 in 3.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Apr 13 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

I recall houseruling them as a variant of opposed test, and that stealth worked like ED for characters. TN = 4, each success means your opponent needs one more success to spot you on a perception check (His TN being dependent on the environment and your actions as normal).

We had a disguise skill that worked the same way for makeup and acting your way. The more successes on your disguise test, the more successes an observer would need on a perception test to tell you weren't actually a repairman or CEO or whatever you were pretending to be.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 13 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

The rules make it hard to sneak reliably unless you have camofluage or similar perception TN mods. The perception 2 guard has a 12% chance of seeing the high stealth adept, but once you start adding modifiers (like a camo suit for +4) then it drops to 5%. Add the partially hidden perception modifier for another +2 and another +2 as the guard is distracted (dosen't care & thinking of dinner) the guard's chance drops to around 1.64%...

I personally rule that a single success means that the guard will look again, without the distracted modifier and maybe a bonus, but will think it's just a cat (or something) unless he scores a success again.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 13 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (Sphynx)

The problem is that it's not a 'rare occasion'. As anyone who's played enough can tell you, the 12+ seems to come up more often when you roll under 4 dice than when you roll over 6 dice for some strange reason.

YES! IT'S NOT JUST ME!

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 13 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If you get the high numbers by rolling 4 dice, just roll your stealth of 12 in three groups. If the low numbers are a disturbing fluke of probability and your rolling style, this should get around that.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 13 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Running Target

After last night's run, i think i just have dice gremlins.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 13 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I'm assuming the 12 dice tossing character is a Phys ad. If so the player should invest in traceless walk. severely limits what can give them away. You make no noise, nothing you are touching makes noise (guns still do since you don't touch the gass escaping nor would you want to)
No more pesky pressure sensors, no more pesky squeky floor boards, etc.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 13 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

A stealth adept should grab Traceless walk and a camo suit right off the bat. Then upgrade to a stealth suit/cloak ASAP. Sure, 12 dice vs. 4 dice is fine... but add a 10 to the high of 12 and it becomes a lot harder.

Which has already been said, so I'll paraphrase as "me too!"

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Apr 13 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #13

Running Target

I found myself in a bruteforcing sort of mood (I also like rolling dice) so I just rolled a series of 100 opposed (not open) stealth/perception tests. I assumed a stealth of 6, an intelligence of 9 for the guard, and that the only modifier was a +2 perception TN mod (for whatever reason).

If ties go to the perciever, the guard succeeded 28% of the time. If ties go to the character using stealth, the guard only succeeded 14% of the time. Thats only with a TN difference of 2... imagine how bad it would get with perception mods of +4 or worse.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 13 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Well as the result of the stealth test is the TN for the perception test, ties go to the perceiver.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Apr 13 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Lilt @ Apr 13 2004, 01:48 PM)
Well as the result of the stealth test is the TN for the perception test, ties go to the perceiver.

Lilt: this was a test for a move away from an Open Test version of Stealth to an Opposed Test version. Numbers of successes assuming a base TN 4 from each test were compared - NOT the highest number in each test.

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Apr 13 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

I'd like to note that we are discussingthis very issue in another thread ("Speaking of calculating odds ...").

http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?sh...topic=3656&st=0

My graph ( http://www.anasazisystems.com/~gknoy/sotsw...enTestGraph.png ) shows the AVERAGE value in an open roll from any number of dice; interesting to note that 12 dice can expect to roll about 11 as a high number (on average). Note that I screwed up the axis labels - dice on X axis, roll results on Y.

Your perception 2 guard has an extermely low chance of beating an adept, ON AVERAGE. I'd say that if your people are regularly doingit, it's a factor of imperfectly rolled dice. :) (in a batch of 12, maybe they don't have enough freedom of movement?)

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Apr 13 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

50% of the time a person rolling 12 dice will NOT get a 12+.
10% of the time a person with a perception of 4 will.
Better than a 5% chance that 12 stealth is noticed by perception 4.

Though, experience tells me it's closer to 20% for some reason. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Apr 13 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Better than a 5% chance that 12 stealth is noticed by perception 4.

And in broad daylight with no cover and an undistracted guard, I'd say that a mere 5% chance of being noticed by an average guard is pretty damn good.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 13 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #19

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Okay, I've got a crazy idea. Bear with me, it's crazy.
Perhaps allow a karma reroll after they've been detected.
DM: Make your stealth test.
Player (rolling): My highest was an 8
DM (rolling): You're gonna fail.
Player: No way, who saw me, what'd they get?
DM: Eat me. You wanna reroll or not?
Player (spending karma and rerolling): I got an 11
DM: Nevermind, you're fine.

Usually, when rerolling with karma, you already know if you've succeeded or not and make a reroll using that information (admittedly, not always), so it's not painfully broken by that standard.
It's not perfect, but it's a really, really simple fix, and it ends all player whining, and isn't that really what's important? :P (kidding)

edit: I should say that, as a house-rule, I allow karma to reroll all but the highest die on an open test. All in all it sounds generous, but it makes the whole open-test pass/fail issue seem to work out more like I think it should without any major changes.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Apr 13 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

So you occasionally get spotted despite all the min-maxing you can do to your Stealth skill.

Hear that? That's the world's smallest violin, playing just for you.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 13 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #21

Running Target

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to declare min/maxing or munchkinism. Seems to be an inevitability.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Apr 13 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Ok, John that quickly puts you on an ignore-all-posts-from-him.

First off, despite belief, the player is a mundane, not an Adept, started the game with a stealth of 4 and through karma only has it up to 12. He is the best of the best, better than even the min-maxxed adepts who can start at 12 (though their stealth isn't REALLY a 12, they only get to roll 12 dice). Although I can appreciate how someone would want to play a violin that a player's 100 karma (cost to go from 4 to 12 with a Quickness of 12) seems useless since every 3rd time he hides a lucky dice roll makes it useless, I tend to give my players not only more respect than that, I tend to want to keep the game fun for them.

Now that I've had to explain myself, I am going to come up with a House Rule because it's gotten crazy, and I don't enjoy seeing my players that annoyed that his rolls just don't matter. The question isn't if the current rule is good enough, it's coming up with a better system so that the extreme luck factor isn't a factor.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 13 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Then upgrade to a stealth suit/cloak ASAP.

A what, now? You mean ruthenium?

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 13 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #24

Dragon

Hits the "Abandon Thread" alarm.

That's okay, I guess we already covered everything important on stealth rolls. Modifiers, modifiers, modifiers. There's a reason a good stealth adept has multiple vision modes and high athletics. Go where the guard does not look!

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 13 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #25

Dragon

QUOTE (Smiley)
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Apr 13 2004, 01:32 PM)
Then upgrade to a stealth suit/cloak ASAP.

A what, now? You mean ruthenium?

Yes, the word that is hard to spell properly without looking it up ;)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.