IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blindsiding your players, Tales of GMing!
Tanegar
post May 19 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

As a GM, I find it entertaining to mess with my players' expectations. Take this afternoon's session:

The Setup: A low-level yakuza soldier and the daughter of a Triad street captain have gotten engaged, and both gangs are gunning for them. The yak hires the PCs to smuggle them out of Seattle to Olympia.

The Complication: One PC's contact, a Yakuza consigliere, offers the team three times whatever the soldier is paying them to turn both of them in to the yaks. The PCs, after some deliberation, advise the Yakuza contact to meet them in Olympia, with the intention of getting paid twice. (Capt. Tagon would be proud.)

The Payoff: The Yakuza contact shows up with three goons in tow. He borrows his PC's gun, causing the other characters to think he means to kill the clients and frame the PCs. Instead, he kills his own goons and frames the PCs. It turns out the client is his godson (and would have come out, if the players had thought to ask, that he directed the client to the PCs). So it was a double-double-cross: the PCs double-crossed the clients by betraying them to the Yakuza contact, who in turn double-crossed the PCs by having the clients' best interests at heart and framing the PCs for the deaths of three Yakuza enforcers.

None of my players saw this coming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What are your stories of blindsiding your players?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grinchy McScroog...
post May 20 2012, 02:32 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 33,321

That was an awesome twist! Out of curiosity, how did the Yak get a hold of a PC gun? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 19 2012, 04:27 PM) *
The Complication: One PC's contact, a Yakuza consigliere, offers the team three times whatever the soldier is paying them to turn both of them in to the yaks. The PCs, after some deliberation, advise the Yakuza contact to meet them in Olympia, with the intention of getting paid twice. (Capt. Tagon would be proud.)

Maxim #38: Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients.

Captain Tagon would've definitely approved, right up until the point where the double-crossers got double-crossed. Then he would have done a double-facepalm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 20 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ May 19 2012, 08:32 PM) *
That was an awesome twist! Out of curiosity, how did the Yak get a hold of a PC gun? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

I would guess he asked.

+Quote Post
Grinchy McScroog...
post May 20 2012, 03:14 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 33,321

QUOTE (kzt @ May 19 2012, 11:11 PM) *
I would guess he asked.

If it was seriously that easy, then they deserved to get double-crossed!

Maxim #30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.
-The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 20 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ May 19 2012, 09:14 PM) *
If it was seriously that easy, then they deserved to get double-crossed!

To quote the Joker "Bob, Gun".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=h28ftIM929w

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 20 2012, 05:25 AM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (kzt @ May 19 2012, 10:11 PM) *
I would guess he asked.

And you would be correct. Mr. Haro, the rigger PC's Yakuza contact, with whom the rigger has quite a bit of history, simply asked to borrow the rigger's gun. The rigger, staring down three armed and ready enforcers, had little choice but to agree.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post May 20 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

In the last hour of our last campaign arc the mage player was put through a string of WTFs that was a joy to witness. Not least was finding out his long-lost brother from his backstory was behind most of the shit they'd been through (he'd completely forgotten he even had a brother). The big finale, however, was mostly the work of the hacker.

The team was a mage, a rigger and a hacker. The hacker appeared to be a dribbling vegetable of a geriatric ('Norman') who went everywhere by rigged wheelchair and lived constantly online. In actual fact he was an AI living in the retirement home's node who had the manager drug Norman and put him in the chair whenever he needed to make a 'personal' appearance. The rigger player knew all this, but the mage player and both characters were completely unaware. At one point they were laying low at the retirement home and came face-to-face with an undrugged Norman, which the hacker roleplayed brilliantly. The mage player found it utterly bewildering but didn't twig.

Cut to the end of the last run - the rigger had martyred himself through a tragic misunderstanding, the mage had come face-to-telepresent-face with his genetically-altered brother (who was now Japanese) and the hacker had facilitated his and an NPC's daring escape from a serious Evo HTR team. Back at the home the mage is unwinding with a cup of tea and has found Norman awake in the rec room. The hacker player slipped back into his ancient, senile, oblivious alter-ego and less than a minute into the conversation slumped over the table dead from an aneurysm. The expression on the mage player's face was exquisite.

I gave him a couple of moments and then described how he felt light-headed and giddy and then suddenly fell out of his chair as the drug in his coffee took effect. As he slipped into unconsciousness the last thing he saw was the manager leaning over him and the last thing he heard was an electronic voice over the tannoy coldly saying "Prep the chair..."

It was a beautifully dark end to the arc and the mage player loved it. He used it as an opportunity to try a different character so we've just started the next arc with two new characters and the old mage occupying the chair.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post May 21 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (Aerospider @ May 20 2012, 12:02 PM) *
Cut to the end of the last run - the rigger had martyred himself through a tragic misunderstanding, the mage had come face-to-telepresent-face with his genetically-altered brother (who was now Japanese) and the hacker had facilitated his and an NPC's daring escape from a serious Evo HTR team. Back at the home the mage is unwinding with a cup of tea and has found Norman awake in the rec room. The hacker player slipped back into his ancient, senile, oblivious alter-ego and less than a minute into the conversation slumped over the table dead from an aneurysm. The expression on the mage player's face was exquisite.

I gave him a couple of moments and then described how he felt light-headed and giddy and then suddenly fell out of his chair as the drug in his coffee took effect. As he slipped into unconsciousness the last thing he saw was the manager leaning over him and the last thing he heard was an electronic voice over the tannoy coldly saying "Prep the chair..."

It was a beautifully dark end to the arc and the mage player loved it. He used it as an opportunity to try a different character so we've just started the next arc with two new characters and the old mage occupying the chair.

What exactly was the point of it for the AI player ? It feels like a gratuitous bitch slap, without any kind of actual purpose or reason behind it. Was there some bad brew between the AI and the mage fo one reason or another ?

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post May 21 2012, 06:43 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

Nah, I think Aerospider is making this story up. There are some inconsistencies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (Aerospider @ May 20 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Back at the home the mage is unwinding with a cup of tea...
I gave him a couple of moments and then described how he felt light-headed and giddy and then suddenly fell out of his chair as the drug in his coffee took effect.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 21 2012, 07:16 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 20 2012, 01:25 PM) *
And you would be correct. Mr. Haro, the rigger PC's Yakuza contact, with whom the rigger has quite a bit of history, simply asked to borrow the rigger's gun. The rigger, staring down three armed and ready enforcers, had little choice but to agree.

And here I was waiting for the final twist in the tale. "You can have my gun, but you can't fire it." *Biometric access denied* *Weapon locked in safe mode*

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post May 21 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ May 21 2012, 07:43 AM) *
Nah, I think Aerospider is making this story up. There are some inconsistencies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lol, good spot! I think it was coffee, but my memory fails on said detail.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post May 21 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Manunancy @ May 21 2012, 07:03 AM) *
What exactly was the point of it for the AI player ? It feels like a gratuitous bitch slap, without any kind of actual purpose or reason behind it. Was there some bad brew between the AI and the mage fo one reason or another ?

No bad brew as such. The AI is psychopathic and in its most generous moments the "meatbags" are no more than a means to an end. In its less generous moments he finds their squishiness intriguing to the point of entertainment. During their escape he crashed a stolen helicopter into a bunch of inconsequential revellers (and if he thinks the single point of notoriety is the end of that he's got another think coming!).

The players knew it was the end of the arc and that we wouldn't be coming back to Shadowrun for a long while (the mage player was wanting a break from RP altogether). There was never going to be an issue with him getting his character back as and when he wanted, but he decided on a change for the next arc.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 21 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Funny enough, I did it with Shadowrun Missions 04-01: Hiding in the Dark.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post May 21 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

The team was under Seattle transporting some goods to a remote off-the-grid Ork village. They'd run into a few handfuls of desperates, junkies, and lowlifes along the way through the old tunnels, and handled them well with a mix of brains, brawn, stealth, and diplomacy.

Then the gabriel hound showed up. They were crapping their pants because none of them had any idea what the hell it was, nor why it looked like a freakshow horrow movie monster, nor why it was moving like a giant wolf spider on Kali, nor why some of them were randomly being frozen in place, nor why it kept disappearing only to pop up again twenty minutes later. They finally tagged it with a lucky shot, slowing it down enough for the minotaur to perform an amazing suplex and grind it's spine into the tunnel floor. At which point they were so relieved that it was finally dead and no longer stalking them, and so eager to get the hell out of the damn tunnels, that they happily and rapidly slogged across a stretch of knee high water in an old sewer tunnel a little further on, failing their perception checks to spot the pair of alligators.

Was a fun run, they really seemed to enjoy the constant aura of dread and unknown dangers lurking in the shadows.

~Umidori

+Quote Post
almost normal
post May 21 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

I haven't the heart to blindside my players in SR.

Eclipse Phase however, is fair game. One of the players had gotten annoyed with his team's refusal to investigate a freighter, so in a fit of anger, he secretly radio'd firewall that his team had abandoned the mission. After some discussion, the group decides to investigate, and uncovers an extinction level even waiting to happen. They put together some clues, and begin to figure out just how screwed humanity is if this thing ever gets out, when the hacker's head explodes. Then the soldier's. Then the Xenobiologist's. With only one player left, he quickly realizes that firewall had received his message, and transmitted the killcodes on the cranial bombs installed on the rogue agents. Radio transmit times being what they are, it took a few hours.

So heres the one player. In a freighter, surrounded by his recently decapitated teammates, and the ELE-in-waiting. Humanity died in the intro game.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 21 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

"And then the lawn got up and started beating our safehouse. True story!" - One of my old Players

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 21 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #17

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I gave my players Karma one time.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post May 21 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #18

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 21 2012, 02:40 PM) *
I gave my players Karma one time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
Chimera
post May 21 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 25,815

My players are blind-sided when I've used the Infected as NPCs (for or against the PCs). Paranoia goes through the roof.

I've unintentionally blind-sided the players when I had an enemy corp-magician use Manabolt. We have two shamans in the group who regularly throw out Force 9 Stunbolts without breaking a sweat. It stumped them for a minute, trying to figure out what spell they were getting hit with (since it was causing physical damage) and why they could only resist with Willpower. Eventually they figured out what it was but I thought it was amusing that they hadn't considered that an NPC would deal with the extra drain just to cause physical vs. stun damage.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post May 21 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #20

Runner

Manabolt is a hell of a spell. All you sacrifice is the single extra point of drain.

I still hate Direct Combat Spells, even with the errata and whatnot.

~Umidori

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 21 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (almost normal @ May 21 2012, 03:34 PM) *
I haven't the heart to blindside my players in SR.

Eclipse Phase however, is fair game. One of the players had gotten annoyed with his team's refusal to investigate a freighter, so in a fit of anger, he secretly radio'd firewall that his team had abandoned the mission. After some discussion, the group decides to investigate, and uncovers an extinction level even waiting to happen. They put together some clues, and begin to figure out just how screwed humanity is if this thing ever gets out, when the hacker's head explodes. Then the soldier's. Then the Xenobiologist's. With only one player left, he quickly realizes that firewall had received his message, and transmitted the killcodes on the cranial bombs installed on the rogue agents. Radio transmit times being what they are, it took a few hours.

So heres the one player. In a freighter, surrounded by his recently decapitated teammates, and the ELE-in-waiting. Humanity died in the intro game.

How and why did the PCs start with cranial bombs? I mean, that's just asking for it.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post May 21 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 21 2012, 05:05 PM) *
How and why did the PCs start with cranial bombs? I mean, that's just asking for it.

They transferred their egos over to a near-site sleeve when they got the mission. I handed out archetype sheets for the first game, so no one would have to care about their character too much.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post May 22 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

QUOTE (Umidori @ May 21 2012, 10:31 PM) *
Manabolt is a hell of a spell. All you sacrifice is the single extra point of drain.

I still hate Direct Combat Spells, even with the errata and whatnot.

~Umidori

Oh yeah, those are messed up. Enough that the first trick I taught my shaman player (who never played SR before) was a FORCE TEN STUNBOLT MOFO. She overcasts it to the max, boom, target folds, she soaks 4 DV like nothing.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post May 22 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #24

Runner

It was even worse when dice from Spellcasting Foci could be used to resist drain.

~Umidori

+Quote Post
Neraph
post May 25 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

My House-Rule is that all Direct Combat Spells get +4 Drain, all Indirect get -2 Drain.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.