Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Japanese Shadowrun, The Group SNE "Fantasy File"
Tzeentch
post Apr 14 2004, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 459

-- This is a little booklet (in dimensions, it's pretty thick at 350 pages!) that, from I can tell, introduces the Shadowrun RPG for Japanese gamers on a budget (650 yen). It has smattered art that frankly is better then a lot of the SR1 and SR2 stuff despite there not being much.

-- Perhaps the most amusing things are the mini-mangas explaining mechanics like the dice pool (pic of manga guy pulling dice out of a plastic water pool), drain (mage nuking a guy then with swirly eyes), rolling to hit, etc. etc. Has anyone else seen this? Andy Kitkowski got it for me in Japan (along with "On Your Mind" the Al Shard supplement) and I've never heard of it before.

-- As soon as I can get to a scanner I'll post a few of the mangas ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Apr 14 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

The name rings a bell.

I think Adam once said he had a copy when he posted in the collectibles thread.

I'd like to take a gander at it when you get the scanner up and running.

+Quote Post
Fu-Man Chu
post Apr 15 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,667

Just thought I'd add that when I was last in Japan I managed to pick up a copy of the Japan sourcebook for Shadowrun - my GM can speak Japanese (having lived there for a year), but has difficulty reading it so hasn't been able to translate it. . .

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Apr 20 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 332

IIRC, this sourcebook was described as very far from canon Japan. Anti-Metas laws and racism was played down or ignored, for the most important difference.
There was a web amateur sourcebook on Japan much closer to canon, but it was sparse and the english was poor to say the least.
A decent canon treatment of Japan is really needed. And with luck it will be in Shadows of Asia.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Apr 20 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

QUOTE (otaku mike)
IIRC, this sourcebook was described as very far from canon Japan. Anti-Metas laws and racism was played down or ignored, for the most important difference.
There was a web amateur sourcebook on Japan much closer to canon, but it was sparse and the english was poor to say the least.
A decent canon treatment of Japan is really needed. And with luck it will be in Shadows of Asia.

Hmm...I still plan on making my own Japan sourcebook sometime. In my opinion, 2060s Japan is Blade Runner meets Akira meets a few other things. But not Ghost in the Shell. GitS just seemed pretentious and too optimistic to me, and besides, Masamune Shirow is weird...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 20 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

is it wrong to imagine japanese shadowrunners doing the Godzilla dance as they run from a dragon?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.