Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On combat...the dodge
Caine Hazen
post Apr 14 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #1

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

So my players didn't like the whole "easy to dodge" TN4 from their combat pools. They felt that noone should have an equal chance to dodge a worldclass sniper and a punk ganger..so I decided to post my little house rule on it for you guys...what do ya think:

Dodge TN = ranks in skill for attacker

Thus someone with 8 dice in pistols will be less likely to miss (due to the experience they have with shotting) vs the punk ganger with a 2 in pistols...comments/critizims/flames?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Apr 14 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,437

I don't like it at all. May be just me though, but I think it's perfect as it is. Someone going pure defensive (which is what a full combat pool allocation to dodge is) will most likely dodge any bullet. They still need to roll more successes, and since most people put alot of Combat Pool into attacking, and combat pool isn't refreshed per attack, but per phase, even 2 seperate attacks on a single target can pretty much assure they don't dodge enough of either...

Sphynx

+Quote Post
ondali
post Apr 14 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,067

so you think that having 8 dice in skill should count double?
first for the dodge TN and later for the number of succesess ?

+Quote Post
KillJuice
post Apr 14 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,244

I like the rules the way they stand for the most part. If the sniper fails to land more successes than the 2 rank ganger, thats the snipers problem.

If there was any flaw in dodging, it would be in full-auto heavy weapons fire. Now your looking at an equal chance to avoid 1 success from a hold out and 1 success from a 15 shot Vindicator.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 14 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (KillJuice)
Now your looking at an equal chance to avoid 1 success from a hold out and 1 success from a 15 shot Vindicator.

No you aren't. SR3 p. 113, +1 TN per 3 shots of burst or autofire. Dodging 15 shots of Vindicator autofire has a base TN of 9.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Apr 14 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

QUOTE (KillJuice)
If there was any flaw in dodging, it would be in full-auto heavy weapons fire. Now your looking at an equal chance to avoid 1 success from a hold out and 1 success from a 15 shot Vindicator.

Wrong!
Dodge TN for one shot hold-out = 4

Dodge TN for 15 rounds from Vindicator = 9 (Base 4 + 15 rounds/3)

I'll dodge the hold-out anyday.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 14 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

It is already harder to dodge the world class sniper because the sniper has more successes. It's fine as is.

heh, "ranks" :S

+Quote Post
Egon
post Apr 14 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,860

I am not sure but it sounds like every one is only using combat pool for dodging test. If your are say a sniper or just going first with little threat coming later use the combat pool on the attack test.

Sniper hiding on roof 400m from target isn't getting attacked so he would use all the combat pool on the attack skill 8 + pool 7 = 15 dice and a vary bad day for what ever is getting shot.

Also you might want to look at the surprise rules. You only get to use a % of combat pool based on the PER test. So if the ganger comes up behind you at a busy club and tries shoots you from behind while you are dancing you may only get 20% or 40% of your pool, depending on how hot the person you are dancing with is. :)

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Apr 14 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

And don't forget, the world class sniper has surprise on his side. If the target doesn't know he's there, in a reaction test the sniper has a TN of 2, the victim a minimum of 4+ (GM discretion).

Personally I use 2 tests for surprise:

1 Perception test for the victim(s), Tn 6 or more (depending on cover, stealth, invisibility etc of ambusher).

The initial TN for Surprise will vary depending on situation. Waiting in a room to shoot someone who opens the door might be a 6. Sniping someone from 1/2 mile away would be 10.

Each success on the Perception test reduces the TN for surprise to a minimum of four.

Then roll reaction against the TN for Surprise test.

If the vic loses the surprise test, they have no combat pool to dodge with.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 14 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Not to inject realism, but a sniper has a really hard hitting a target who knows that he's there and is actively avoiding him. Kind of the point of the whole surprise thing which affects your ability to dodge at all. Snipers tend to rely on surprise to get their shots, not just skill.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 14 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I have to go and take a look at the surprise rules (and, hell, should know them already), but I had always been under the assumption that if you caught someone completely unaware, he or she didn't get a surprise test, and, in the right conditions, not even a dodge test.

Anyone have some page numbers I can reference?

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Apr 14 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Surprise - page 109 SR3

Surprise is a reaction test. Those who roll the most successes can take action against those who roll fewer successes.

Characters are "surprised" by an opponent if they rolled fewer successes on the reaction test than the opponent.

There's a half page of info on surprise.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 14 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #13

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

In our games, we use have a dodge pool equal to your reaction. That frees up a lot more dice, and it makes sense that a wired sammy can more easily dodge than a non-wired person.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 14 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Backgammon)
In our games, we use have a dodge pool equal to your reaction. That frees up a lot more dice, and it makes sense that a wired sammy can more easily dodge than a non-wired person.

But Reaction is built out of Int + Quickness, and your combat pool is built out of Will + Int + Quickness. So by adding effectively more Combat Pool (albeit dedicated to Defense, it saves dice for Offense) you are putting even more weight on Quickness + Int. Maybe that is ok, but that would give my current 11 Combat Pool character an extra 7 dice. 18 dice is a LOT of dice.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Apr 14 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

With a real sniper situation the target would not even get to make a reaction test. You might give them a (very hard) perception test to see if they get a reaction test, but generally they just get shot and cannot use combat pool dice to dodge or to resist damage.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 14 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Rev @ Apr 14 2004, 07:36 PM)
With a real sniper situation the target would not even get to make a reaction test.  You might give them a (very hard) perception test to see if they get a reaction test, but generally they just get shot and cannot use combat pool dice to dodge or to resist damage.

If they know a sniper is in the area (is shooting) i'm all for letting them get Dodge dice for acting funking. Irratically moving targets are harder to hit no matter what your skill.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Apr 14 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

Yea but the archtypical sniper situation is that they don't know there is a sniper in the area.

Once they do know then they are probably in initiative anyway and suprise isn't important. Sure they can dodge then.

You very rarely get to dodge the snipers first shot, but you almost always get to dodge his second shot. Unless you are dead by that time.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 14 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #18

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Some random thoughts:

First of all, it is entirely unrealistic that anyone, no matter how fast, can reliably dodge any kind of gun fire in a combat situation. The whole idea is silly, and trying to apply realism to a wholly artificial game mechanic just doesn't work. (now, having said that, I will try to apply realism to this wholly artificial game mechanic.....) :wobble:

Second, in a real sniper situation the target is usually dead before the *sound* of the round even reaches him, meaning there is no way, no matter how fast you are, to detect, and much less dodge, the incoming round. Your only hope would be detecting the sniper before he fires. I personally think that should be a perception test with a relatively high TN (assuming any sniper worth the title would know how to conceal himself). You could argue for a surprise test, but I would still give the target higher TNs.

And third, if you want a different rule you could assume that the power of the weapon is an abstract measure of muzzle velocity. The TN to dodge could be equal to the power or you could use the base TN of 4 and create a modifier scale (1-3= +1 / 4-6=+2 / etc). That way it would be considerably more difficult to dodge a much faster .50 cal round (power = 14) than a relatively slow holdout pistol round (power = 4).

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 14 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Runner

You misunderstand the dodge test. This isn't The Matrix and we're not agents dodging bullets. The dodge test is an abstract measure of your ability to realistically dodge fire, and, in real life, dodging bullets is about being whereever a gun is not pointed when it goes off byt whatever means are at your disposal.

As for a sniper situation, you just don't get a dodge test or a surprise test. That's just how it is. If the sniper does his job right, you're dead before you hit the ground. If not, you're at least in pain or running from further pain. But none of this crap about dodging something you could never see. And let's not get into subsonic sniping.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 14 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #20

Street Doc

I fully understand the concept of a dodge test in shadowrun. I was playing this game back when there was a dodge pool!

My point is that in RL it is unrealistic to think that you can dodge a bullet, period. If its on its way to where you are, you cannot think or react fast enough to get somewhere else before it hits you. Now, with cyberware you might have a chance, but then SR does not require any cyber to dodge bullets. If I had a RXN of one I could theoretically dodge a bullet.

In real life your only hope is to be moving *before* the round is fired such that the shooter is actually *aiming* at a spot where you *were*, or to use cover. In either case I wouldn't call that dodging.

You will note that there isn't a modern military in the world that tries to teach its troops to dodge bullets- they teach them to use cover and/or keep moving.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 14 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

In real life your only hope is to be moving *before* the round is fired such that the shooter is actually *aiming* at a spot where you *were*, or to use cover. In either case I wouldn't call that dodging.
Well as SR allows you to dodge when there is no cover around, I'd say the first option (moving so that the shooter's aiming is off). Also: how is avoiding where someone is aming not dodging by your definition?

The system only really makes sense if you can only dodge shots that you know about, otherwise any movement you could make would be better interpreted as a +tn modifier (like in Raygun's Dodging with Reaction rules).

If you really want cyber ETC to take a bigger part then why not add extra dice for dodging equal to a character's reaction bonus?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 14 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #22

Runner

Yeah, I understand all that. What I'm saying is that mechanically, while the dodge test comes after the round has been fire, for purposes of realism, it has to happen before the round has been fired, even if the rules work backwards to preserve combat pool and ensure playability. In this case, dodging bullet is keeping moving and finding impromptu cover (eg dodge test can throw you behind a filing cabinet or desk).

At least, that's how I've been reading it. If it's really intended to let you dodge bullets, Matrix style, I'm going to have to stick the dodge test in front of the attack test.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 14 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #23

Street Doc

Perhaps the root of this problem is the word "dodge". To give some definitions:

dodge \"däj\ n 1 : an act of evading by sudden bodily movement 2 : an artful device to evade, deceive, or trick 3 : EXPEDIENT
©2000 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved.

Note the use of the word “device” in the second definition

de•vice \di-"vïs\ n 1 : SCHEME, STRATAGEM 2 : a piece of equipment or a mechanism for a special purpose 3 : DESIRE, INCLINATION <left to my own ~s> 4 : an emblematic design
©2000 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved.

To me dodging involves a conscious, calculated or deliberate effort on the part of the target to deal with a specific, in coming (i.e. on its way) threat.

To answer Lilt's question (how is avoiding where someone is aiming not dodging by your definition?): such movement, while motivated by the knowledge that someone is shooting at you is not a direct response to a specific bullet in flight (dodging). It is "blind" movement which is just as likely to take you *into* the flight path of the round as it is to take you *out* of it.

In RL there is no time for a "if the bullet goes right, I'll jump left" thought process, or "I’ll stay here until he shoots and then move". You simple move and hope that his aim and your location do not coincide. To put it in a different context: to simply flail one's arms in the hopes of hitting one's opponent can hardly be called a punch.

To truly "dodge" a specific bullet in flight one would have to know exactly where the shooter was aiming, be capable of complex ballistic calculations to ensure the bullet's flight path and be quick enough to move off that path.

At any rate (and to bring us back on topic) my purpose was to say that I can see where his players dislike the dodge rules. One has to suspend their disbelief when considering the rules as they apply to SR's combat system. And if he wants a slightly more "realistic" rule it makes more sense to base the TN for the dodge test on the speed (muzzle velocity/power level) of the round.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 14 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

So maybe we could call it the "Tactical Movement And Positioning Test" instead of the "Dodge Test", and then everyone would be happy?

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 14 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #25

Street Doc

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
So maybe we could call it the "Tactical Movement And Positioning Test" instead of the "Dodge Test", and then everyone would be happy?

Actually that would be a grand idea. :D

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.