Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monowire garrote, Any thoughts?
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,177

I was toying with the idea of rigging up some sort of monowire loop o' decapitation, anyone think that this might work? Also how it might work, I was thinking maybe a called shot, grapple, some combination of the two perhaps? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
*Edited to comply with numerous suggestions*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 15 2004, 05:11 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

This has been discussed a little. By definition, a wire that removes the target's head is probably not a garrote. This has some of the debate.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 05:15 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Yeah I wasn't sure what to call it though, thanks for the link.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 15 2004, 05:17 AM
Post #4

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Also, its gonna be a lot harder to use then you would think... how do you hold it? if your fingers slip at all, if theres a struggle, you lose body parts =P

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Apr 15 2004, 05:17 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

It would be very very messy and no more efficant than a peice of piano wire. You'd end up covered in the other persons blood and the only real advantage is you could cut through any neck armour that happened to be present.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Oh I agree that there is no real advantage to such a ridiculous contraption, I just thought it would make an interesting visual. :evil:

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 15 2004, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Oh, it's more efficient than piano wire, given that the latter only slits throats and this takes off heads. But, yes, everything else said here's pretty much dead on.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 05:34 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Alright, its a stupid idea, I admit it. Sorry for wasting everyones time.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 05:37 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Eureka! Maybe if you were to attach a plastic bag...or something...somehow....nevermind.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Apr 15 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Actually there's at least 1 decent reason to use monowire over piano wire.

Shapeshifters! After all, a slit throat is a minor cut to one of them, but a removed head is, by default, massive damage to the central nervous system and kills instantly.

Or better yet, a Thermite garrote. Wrap it around the guys neck, ingite, and enjoy watching him try to pat it out before it burns his entire head away.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 15 2004, 05:56 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

I'm not sure how helpful a...shall we call it a Tag'n'Bag™?...would be to a 'runner. But i could see it being a big hit in meat processing plants. :)

EDIT: I stand corrected, Moonstone Spider seems to have come up with a use.

P.S. Have you been watching Kill Bill Vol. 1 on continuous loop for the last 36 hours straight or something? No reason, just asking. ;)

+Quote Post
tjn
post Apr 15 2004, 05:57 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

Aberrant (White Wolf's Superhero game) had such things.

Basically how they did it was two rings were connected to each other, they were held together on the side and when seperated, one side performed as the anchor, and the other ring was a spool of retractable monowire thread.

Attach one ring on each hand and pull. Monowire garotte.

And yes, it was a garotte in their system due to the way they explained the superpowers (basically subconcious control over quantum physics, and as a buckyball tube is thicker then quantum scale, those with the "brick" archetype powers could resist it).

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 15 2004, 06:12 AM
Post #13

Runner

That's a good way of doing it. Just that such a weapon would not have a hell of a lot of uses, though there are a few potential situations (one already mentioned) where it could prove useful.

Hell, garrotes themselves aren't terribly useful. They're quite concealable, but if you can get a knife and can get full access to your target, the garrote's not really more than a liability. A knife to the kidney with your other arm over his mouth and kneck should do the trick much more quietly and with much less fuss. Or, hell, classic slit throat, though that's noiser.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 06:21 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

P.S. Have you been watching Kill Bill Vol. 1 on continuous loop for the last 36 hours straight or something? No reason, just asking. 

*sheepish grin*
something like that ;)

+Quote Post
Beast of Revolut...
post Apr 15 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,140

A monowhip would do, as long as it has some sort of locking mechanism so you can just unreel a foot and a half or so of it instead of the whole thing.

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Apr 15 2004, 06:57 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

The books state that monowire comes with loops for fingers to begin with, I think. Anyways, a monowire garrote also has the benifit of not needing to get it over their head first. Just get behind them, spread the hands apart with the neck between, and push.

I've both seen and used characters that make extensive use of monowire. Great stuff.

One thing that I've thought about on it. Many corps use it as a top to their fences. This means that somebody must be using some kind of kit to install it. A goal of one of my characters: get a hold of one of those kits. Then just go to any random corp, and start taking the monowire off the fence and keeping it. Security won't realize right away that your target is the fence, not the stuff in the building, so it's pretty easy to get away with it. With that kind of street index and availability, you'll be sitting pretty real quick.

Big Knobi Klub has some more fun uses for monowire here:

http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/engfun4.htm

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 15 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #17

Runner

I think it's worth pointing out that while it's deadly sutff, it's not as potent as it is portrayed on that site, and takes more than a breeze worth of force to do anything but very superficial damage, if that. Still, don't let that make you think it's not very, very bad.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

I gotta admit that the booby trapped emergency exits is rather tempting...

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 15 2004, 07:15 AM
Post #19

Runner

Hell, running lines of it anywhere in an urban setting (how about a dusty stairwell with poor lighting?) is nasty. At leg level, most of you will be falling down the stairs. At head level, most of you will be rolling, some of you will be bouncing. It's ability for instant, unsuspecting kills goes a bit too far, really, both in terms of believability and playability.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Apr 15 2004, 07:28 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Oh, I was talking about real life....

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 15 2004, 03:38 PM
Post #21

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

very very few places would use monowire across fences considering it's 3,000 nuyen per meter. That money can go a LOT farther in other ways for defense.

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Apr 15 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

It's in Sota2063 for that purpose. I think it's in the corp security handbook too.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Apr 15 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

I saw Johnny Mnemonic last night, and one of the Yaks used his whip for a garotte. Classic!

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Apr 15 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Ah, memories :D

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 15 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Moonstone Spider:

I believe that the U.S. military has had something like this for several years. It's known variously as Detcord or Primacord, and is essentially a high-grade twine with an explosive core (usually RDX (Cyclomethylene trinitramine), also known as Cyclonite or Hexogen), the basis for such plastic explosives as C-4 and Semtex.

A well-known terrorist tactic is to build a package bomb, using Detcord as the "string" with which the package is tied--the detonator is concealed inside, and the parcel looks harmless unless examined very closely.

There was a TV movie--a spy spoof-- released in 1981 called THE BILLION DOLLAR THREAT. The protagonist received, as part of his mission equipment, a rather innocuous-looking pack of dental floss. I don't recall what it contained (either Thermite or some sort of corrosive, I think), but it cut through steel like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

The protagonist used it to escape from a holding cell (weakened the bars, so that he could bend them enough to leave by the window), and later to defeat a musclebound adversary with an artificial arm who was in the process of strangling him with the prosthetic limb (he cut the guy's arm off just below the elbow and beat him unconscious with it ! :P ) .

Just thought you might be interested. What you're suggesting sounds workable.

I recall reading a piece of SR online fiction (the Blackout storyline, over on deckerm's page, http://www.shadowrun.lucidblue.net/ , but the site was down when I checked), in which a character had a monowire garrotte built into a wristwatch cellphone--I suppose that it could be considered the 2060's version of the wristwatch garrotte used by Donovan "Red" Grant (Robert Shaw) in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.