IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun: The Clutch of Dragons is out!
Bull
post Aug 8 2012, 05:40 AM
Post #1

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Claws At Your Throat

Never, ever deal with a dragon. Shadowrunners have heard that dictum so often, they frequently say those words in their sleep. But what the aphorism forgets to tell you is this—what if you don’t have a choice?

The tension between dragons has been growing, and the big lizards are throwing every weapon they have at each other, including shadowrunners—especially shadowrunners. Extractions, industrial sabotage, theft, wetwork—there's plenty of jobs in all those areas, and dragons are finding ways to get reluctant runners to work for them. Maybe they’ll hide their involvement in the run, or maybe they’ll bribe the runners with large piles of nuyen or blackmail them with their past activities. Or maybe they’ll just tell the runners they have a simple choice of working for them or being eaten.

Whatever tactics they choose, the dragons are going to be active and aggressive, and if runners want to survive, they better be on their toes. They need to know who the draconic players are, what they’re up to, and what might happen to them if they fall into a dragon’s grip. They need to be ready for anything, because when dragons go at each other, the world shakes, the earth beneath them burns—and far too often, shadowrunners die.

The Clutch of Dragons provides the information gamemasters and players need to involve draconic plots in their games, from profiles of individuals dragons, their plots, and their lairs to information about the latest efforts to build anti-dragon weapons. This is a critical reference for any players who want to test their skills against the machinations of dragons—or who want to see just how much trouble they can survive.

The Clutch of Dragons is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

DriveThruRPG
CGL Battleshop
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 8 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 8 2012, 03:40 PM) *
....information about the latest efforts to build anti-dragon weapons.

Does book include stats for said weapons?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 8 2012, 08:36 AM
Post #3

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Aug 8 2012, 03:51 AM) *
Does book include stats for said weapons?

It has a drone and a vehicle, both prototypes. There's also a whole chapter that talks about these, plus a bunch of other things that are still in the development phase by various interested parties, plus discusses using some of the toys from War!, I believe.

I don't really know the specifics. I didn't work on that section, and haven't had the change to really read it, just gave it a quick skim a while back. (I did get to revisit my old friend Perianwyr though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Bull

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 8 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #4

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

Heh, nothing like reaching for War to find the tools to deal with a opponent.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 8 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Nothing like adding MRSI to a 1000 karma build.

+Quote Post
Murrdox
post Aug 8 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,752

My "Buy" finger is very itchy. Someone post a review!

+Quote Post
Kesendeja
post Aug 8 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,226

QUOTE (Murrdox @ Aug 8 2012, 03:44 PM) *
My "Buy" finger is very itchy. Someone post a review!

Greatly enjoying my copy. Haven't gotten that far in it yet but my player's are headed for a whole lot of dragon plots in their immediate future.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Aug 8 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Wife bought it this morning and did a quick skim. What she saw, she loved. I'm actually sort of sold on the Dragon Civil War now, and we're both really impressed by the Damon chapter (it's essentially an update on Boston and we love it). Really reccommended, and that's from someone that's been swearing off CGL products for two years now.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 9 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 8 2012, 06:52 PM) *
Wife bought it this morning and did a quick skim. What she saw, she loved. I'm actually sort of sold on the Dragon Civil War now, and we're both really impressed by the Damon chapter (it's essentially an update on Boston and we love it). Really reccommended, and that's from someone that's been swearing off CGL products for two years now.
So you're ready to buy Safehouses now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 9 2012, 04:32 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Now CanRay Safehouses by itself is a silly option they would need some sort of mission to try it out on. I don't suppose you know one they could get to go with it?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 9 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Aug 8 2012, 11:32 PM) *
Now CanRay Safehouses by itself is a silly option they would need some sort of mission to try it out on. I don't suppose you know one they could get to go with it?
The mission where everything goes pear-shaped, and they have to hide out while the guys with no necks and bent noses are looking for them.

Which is pretty much every 'run I've ever heard of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 10 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

The book mentions that all Thor Shot and indeed all orbital combat systems have been taken off line after a shadowrun team took control of a weapons platform. When did this happen???

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 10 2012, 02:16 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Last Thursday.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Aug 10 2012, 03:06 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Aug 9 2012, 09:11 PM) *
The book mentions that all Thor Shot and indeed all orbital combat systems have been taken off line after a shadowrun team took control of a weapons platform. When did this happen???

Jet Set.

No one seems in any hurry to turn them back on, either, except for Aztechnology. And everyone else is all saying "Screw those guys". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2012, 03:39 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Aug 9 2012, 10:06 PM) *
Jet Set.

No one seems in any hurry to turn them back on, either, except for Aztechnology. And everyone else is all saying "Screw those guys". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Too many investments in Amazonia to let them get Thor Shotted to nothing.

I don't think insurance covers that.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Aug 10 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 9 2012, 11:39 PM) *
Too many investments in Amazonia to let them get Thor Shotted to nothing.

I don't think insurance covers that.

Most insurance doesn't have an "Act of god" Clause... and Thor.. is a god...

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Aug 10 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

There's only one God, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (almost normal @ Aug 10 2012, 01:28 PM) *
There's only one God, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that.
Tony Stark: "Met two Gods, still an atheist."

Hulk: "Met two gods, beat them up. Gods are puny."

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Aug 11 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

So anyone have a review past "Um... Dragons!" ??

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Sep 7 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Aug 11 2012, 09:40 AM) *
So anyone have a review past "Um... Dragons!" ??

This is an excellent question.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 7 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #21

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I'm wondering if the best Antidragon device the players could possibly lay their hands on is a DeLorean with a digital read-out that says 08/09/2057 02:30, and a copy of Shadowrun 2050. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Seems to me the best way to fix this 'Dragon Civil War' silliness.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Sep 7 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

This book is chock full of fluff. There's so much good stuff to read it's easy to miss something. I'm on my second re-read of the thing and I have the Earthdawn Dragons PDF open just in case as well.

I'd do a full review, but it really boils down to this: Do you like the idea of Dragons in this game and are you interested in learning more about them and their shenanigans? Your answer to that is the answer to "Should I buy this or not?".

Very good quality writing. Good Harlequin moments too.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Sep 7 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 8 2012, 01:40 AM) *
The Clutch of Dragons provides the information gamemasters and players need to involve draconic plots in their games, from profiles of individuals dragons, their plots, and their lairs to information about the latest efforts to build anti-dragon weapons. This is a critical reference for any players who want to test their skills against the machinations of dragons—or who want to see just how much trouble they can survive.

Query for you, Bull: how useful would this book be as a GM resource, while running a group through Season Four of Missions? (Next weekend is SRM 04-01, in fact) ...?

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Sep 7 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I'm doing missions as well, but after the next one, Frosty is going to contact the guys about some missing artifacts. By the time we're through with those, we should have caught our timeline up to where Missions and Clutch of Dragons is.
I've already started planing seeds. The first adventure my group did, as a get them together thing, was to rescue a teenage girl who'd been kidnapped from her expensive boarding school. The Johnson was Daisy, from the 3rd ed First Run. For those not familiar, Daisy is an agent or Hestaby. So, unbeknownst to the party, Jessie, the girl they rescued is an un-expressed Drake whom Daisy has been keeping an eye on. It's just a dangling plot thread that I planned on picking up later, and I'm hoping Clutch of Dragons will give me more ideas on where to go with it.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Sep 8 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I'm glad I have a friend who still buys CGL stuff so I can check out this stuff when I'm curious about a new product. I looked through the book for a bit (just the first two chapters, so keep that in mind) and...okay, my mother said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. So here's my review.

Ummm...The words are perfectly legible...

Okay, more seriously, if you like what CGL's been doing the past few years, you'll probably like this. The few chapters I read, I hated every single thing I saw. But I've also hated everything I've seen coming out the past 2-3 years. Jackpointers are talking about Lofwyr being Loremaster as if it's a given fact and that the trial detailed in Survival of the Fittest actually did have its box scores published on the screamsheets. Everything about dragons has been demystified and it just completely does not interest me. However, I'm a bit of a 3rd Ed grognard when it comes to Shadowrun, so keep that in mind. Therefore, as I said, if you liked all the stuff CGL's been putting out, you may love this book.

I personally will not be buying this book nor will I check it out when I'm at my friend's. Between my outbursts while reading this and my constant ranting when reading Shadowrun 2050, I think I may be banned from using his computer when I'm over.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.