Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christian Tradition
Raiden
post Aug 15 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,120

So, I was just wondering on thoughts about this tradition, especially from a GMs stand point. and, what would you suggest as a secondary spec for him? face? investigator? what O.o.. and just for some flavor. what spells would see someone of this tradition having :3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 15 2012, 02:52 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

It's a Charisma tradition, so face would be a natural secondary specialty. But keep in mind that for mages, getting another secondary specialty is often merely a matter of getting one or two new spells.

Theurgy is kind of middle of the road. Not nutcases who think they are performing miracles, but still people who take their beliefs seriously enough to integrate them into their magic. Also, your character won't have to deal with a religious hierarchy monitoring him, unless that character is also an actual member of the clergy.

A theurgist would consider the ethical ramifications of his spells, so would tend to lean towards non-lethal spells (and use lethal ones only when necessary), and avoid spells that violate people's privacy or free will (mind probe, the various mental manipulations). Healing spells would be likely. Summoning spirits is discouraged in this tradition, but the character may be a bit of a maverick in that regard - still, summoning will be treated very seriously, not least because the spirits will take angelic-looking forms.

From a GM's standpoint, this kind of character is likelier to be good for a group with some scruples - it would be harder to see a theurgist hanging around a purely mercenary group. As well as the usual moral dilemmas, there can be tension with other Christians - pure hermetics who are queasy with the character using religious trappings and summoning spirits that look like angels, and the nutcases who think they are performing miracles.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 15 2012, 02:52 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Duplicate Post

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Aug 15 2012, 03:20 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 14 2012, 07:52 PM) *
the nutcases who think they are performing miracles.

I'd kind of like to see one of these guys, as an OK caster, but who also just happens to have an edge of 8, so people actually thinks he does miracles by doing "the impossible" on a kinda regular basis.

I could honestly see a Christian Mage using running wild's Calling rules to deal with spirits on a more regular basis than BAM SUMMONING. Angels are supposed to be pretty much god's messengers to the mortals, and aren't really things that mages "should"(from a moral/religious sense) be able to call up with a snap of their fingers. Actually going out of your way to put in the effort to contact and call out specific powerful entities and ask for their advice, wisdom and aid is a lot more fitting of a respectful, humble, perhaps god-fear christian than.....Angel Summoner the mister do it all.
Also dealing with spirits through calling uses social skills, which fits with a Charisma tradition. It also doesn't have any sort of built-in protection like summoning does, so a mage using it is encouraged to be ..... respectful.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Aug 15 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

Personally, even though the rules are kind of broken for banishing, I'd do the Catholic exorcist route and focus on it. I just think that would be fun to play, even if its highly impractical. Cinematically, it makes the massive banishing drain make sense.

In fact, I'm going to build that character just for fun now...maybe I'll find an RP-heavy game to slot him into (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Aug 15 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

A Christian Theurge would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to go on 'runs, though. A lot of 'runs require breaking Commandments, which are central tenants of their faith. Also note that Christian Theurgy is based on Catholicism, which is only one version of Christianity (Lutheran, Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of Christ, to name a few). I honestly think that it would be a tradition only (or nearly only) for NPCs or only for games that take place in non-standard settings (DocWagon group, Law Enforcement group, ect.). For actual game uses I see Zoroastrian as being more likely.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Aug 15 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

I have and Idea how the get him into a group haha. kinda like, embrace your enemies in that one day we may defeat it kinda thing.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 15 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I like that idea.

You can't show Christ's love for people by keeping away from anyone who isn't just like you.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Aug 15 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 15 2012, 09:09 AM) *
A Christian Theurge would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to go on 'runs, though. A lot of 'runs require breaking Commandments, which are central tenants of their faith. Also note that Christian Theurgy is based on Catholicism, which is only one version of Christianity (Lutheran, Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of Christ, to name a few). I honestly think that it would be a tradition only (or nearly only) for NPCs or only for games that take place in non-standard settings (DocWagon group, Law Enforcement group, ect.). For actual game uses I see Zoroastrian as being more likely.

Yeah, 'cause powerful Christian leaders have always strictly observed Jesus' teachings and the basic structures of morality outlined in the Old Testament.

Besides, you think clergy aren't subject to pressures from their superiors which could lead them to break the tenets of their faith or rebel against the hierarchy in much the same way as a former corporate security guard could become disillusioned with their patron and hit the streets?

Final thought, Preacher Book had a similar issue until he decided that among the thieves and whores is where a man of the cloth is really needed. After all, that's what Jesus did.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Aug 15 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (Raiden @ Aug 14 2012, 07:51 PM) *
So, I was just wondering on thoughts about this tradition, especially from a GMs stand point. and, what would you suggest as a secondary spec for him? face? investigator? what O.o.. and just for some flavor. what spells would see someone of this tradition having :3

"Christian Theurgy" is actually statted out already - with the full stamp of Officialdom on it. You can find it in Street Magic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Aug 15 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Aug 15 2012, 08:45 AM) *
Personally, even though the rules are kind of broken for banishing, I'd do the Catholic exorcist route and focus on it. I just think that would be fun to play, even if its highly impractical. Cinematically, it makes the massive banishing drain make sense.

In fact, I'm going to build that character just for fun now...maybe I'll find an RP-heavy game to slot him into (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Spirit Bane: Shedim is such a trip-over-it obvious negative quality for this idea ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
MADness
post Aug 15 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,522

QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Aug 15 2012, 08:58 AM) *
Final thought, Preacher Book had a similar issue until he decided that among the thieves and whores is where a man of the cloth is really needed. After all, that's what Jesus did.

The good Lord said nit to kill, he didn't say anything about shooting kneecaps.

Honestly though, there are a number of ways for a devout follower to run the shadows. My fall back is as a courier. The pacifism quality works well. Compulsive behavior could also work, as well as Signature (prayer, carrying symbols, fasts, and the like.) This also works well for other religions. Hooding is another good example. Bodyguard duties. Salvation extractions (extracting a willing target that was unwillingly extracted, as opposed to Salvage extractions) are nice.

It also changes depending on the level of theological detail you are using. Are they an inspirationalist or a literalist? What is their opinion on the less well known doctrines (transubstantiation)? Are they even Catholic (it's only a stones throw to Protestant), and if not, things get even more complicated.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Aug 16 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (MADness @ Aug 15 2012, 06:04 PM) *
The good Lord said nit to kill, he didn't say anything about shooting kneecaps.

Nitpick: the original language is not "thou shalt not kill", it is "thou shalt not murder". Killing which isn't murder (i.e., malicide; soldiers killing each other in war; executing criminals; self-defense) is perfectly A-OK with the Commandments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A literalist Catholic is more likely to have problems with stealing, than with killing.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 16 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 15 2012, 06:09 AM) *

I got the impression from the writeup that it was open to most mainstream Christian denominations, not just Catholics - after all, it is said to combine Renaissance hermeticism with Christian qabbalism and Gnostic cosmology, which is hardly mainstream Catholicism. At the least, I imagine most Protestant or Orthodox denominations would have something similar enough that you could use the same stats for it.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Aug 16 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Aug 15 2012, 07:46 PM) *
Nitpick: the original language is not "thou shalt not kill", it is "thou shalt not murder". Killing which isn't murder (i.e., malicide; soldiers killing each other in war; executing criminals; self-defense) is perfectly A-OK with the Commandments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A literalist Catholic is more likely to have problems with stealing, than with killing.

Hehe, I thought you were going to nitpick his quote:

ZOE
Preacher, don't the Bible got some
pretty specific things to say about
killing?

BOOK
Quite specific. It is, however,
somewhat fuzzier on the subject of
kneecaps.

Yes, I am a Browncoat as well as a Brony. I am constructed of a solid geek core. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 16 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Wish my preacher was more like Sheppard Book, that's for sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
MADness
post Aug 16 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,522

I was considering making the point of murder and killing not always being the same thing, but I'm on my phone until I can save for a new laptop charger. Also, I haven't watched Firefly this half-year yet, so the qoute was quite fuzzy in my memory.

Another good couple of options would be inspirational speaker (Leadership and Intimidation) and accountant (church treasurers can be scary good).

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Aug 16 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Aug 16 2012, 07:57 AM) *
Yes, I am a Browncoat as well as a Brony. I am constructed of a solid geek core. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Either way, you're a Firefly fan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(Browncoat Brohoof, yo!)

As for the religious traditions, as always, step carefully on this one. TORG was big about the issue, putting up all kinds of disclaimers. Shadowrun rolled religion back across the planet, which is sad for me because, when times are bad (And Vitas + the Awakening + Crash was a string of bad times!) people tend to gather up in places of worship and light candles against the darkness. Removing something so core to, well, all of human history always struck me as odd.

Then again, the Church of Elvis is a kind of a Thing, so.

Still, while it might not be as big in Cyberpunk culture, anytime you deal with teh downtrodden in fiction, you get religion, if only because if people don't have hope, they've got nothing. Taking THAT away's too dark, even for me.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Aug 16 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Aug 16 2012, 02:11 PM) *
Either way, you're a Firefly fan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(Browncoat Brohoof, yo!)

Brohoof! /)

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Aug 16 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 21,972

Here's a link to another thread on Christian Theurgy

It eventually becomes a trainwreck of rule arguing, but there's some good stuff in there about the flavor of the tradition.

+Quote Post
PresentPresence
post Aug 16 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,106

I just can't fathom how a (non-hypocritical) Christian could possibly function as a Shadowrunner, and how a hypocritical Christian could function as a mage.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 17 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

They would have to be picky in the jobs they take but if they have a fixer that knows his stuff it wouldn't be a problem.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Aug 17 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Aug 16 2012, 06:38 PM) *
I just can't fathom how a (non-hypocritical) Christian could possibly function as a Shadowrunner, and how a hypocritical Christian could function as a mage.

"for great victories, sometimes sacrifices must me made, if my soul is to be one of those sacrifices, then I will gladly give it." is the motta my christian mage lives by.

but for the average one, you can always go with what WoW did. as long as they truly believe (no matter how obvious or blindly) then they retain their powers. even if it is sorta twisted. IE the scarlet crusade

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Aug 17 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #24

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Remember that your character's faith - and no one else's interpretation thereof - is what shapes his magic.

You can literally be a Pastafarian Warlock if you so desire. All you need is to meet the qualifications of: 1: Being Awakened with the Magician (or Mystic Adept) traits, and 2: Believing strongly enough that your faith is what empowers you that it shapes and forms your Tradition.

So, as far as your Christian Magician, he doesn't have to be what the established orthodoxy of Christian Theurgy likes. The Pope might consider him an apostate or even a heretic, and it won't impact his magic. So feel free to have fun with it - be a renegade who has no qualms about doing bad things to acquire the money and other resources necessary to do God's work. Feel free to summon and bind "Demons" as you see fit - if you need to browbeat devils into doing things that advance the good cause, so be it. Just remember that they're abhorrent things who will turn on you if they get an opportunity to do so, so always be ready to turn on them first.

Go fire-and-brimstone, Old Testament, bring the Wrath if you feel like it. Hell, get yourself some Edged Weapons skill and forge yourself a holy avenger weapon focus. You could have so much fun with this.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Aug 17 2012, 03:45 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Aug 16 2012, 06:38 PM) *

Look to terrorism for some of that. It's against the Koran for a Muslim to kill themselves, and you'd better believe that the Bible comes down on murder, but suicide bombers and IRA Catholics both set off the kaboom. You have your Crusades, the forced conversion of the Native Americans, the Inquisition, etc etc etc. Religion isn't evil, but evil people are all too happy to hide behind it as a shield, to motivate people to *do* evil. It's also a powerful force for good, as seen when relief organizations come in after a natural disaster, or a church opens doors for a family whose house burned down, homeless shelters, free clinic, the list goes on and on.

In short, being religious isn't an on/off switch for good/evil. It's a descriptor, like nationality, height, hair color, or favorite band, one of many, many aspects that make up a person. You might be amazed to see the knots that some people will tie themselves into, using religion (or political affiliation, or any number of other things) as a rationale.

Heck, there's a guy in the news yesterday that was using his religion (A really, really weird form of white supremicist Hinduism) to complain about a black guy bagging his groceries.

People are often weird.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.