Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I wish, I wish...
Xahn Borealis
post Aug 19 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,007

Is there any precedent in SR history of characters being offered magical "wishes" that would come true? Using powerful magical artifacts or dragons' abilities, perhaps?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 19 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

If you count Earthdawn in the continuity. The Janni (sp?) were a spirit form that could create wealth, water, and food. There are Free Spirit powers that do the same. Spirit powers for endowments could do something similar, giving someone a Power in exchange for a Pact. That's about it.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Aug 19 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

I'm thinking something along the lines of using exotic dragon telesma for a unique enchantment. I'm AFB right now also.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Aug 19 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

Nothing in the rules grants anyone unrestricted wish-granting abilities, but there's a variety of ways for free spirits to grant particular wishes (ex: immortality, wealth, specific types of power).

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 19 2012, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

If you need it for plot important reasons, there's nothing that says you can't. Just keep in mind the limits magic normally has (no bringing back the dead, no time travel, etc) when determining a valid wish. Almost anything someone would wish for is doable by magic, to some degree.

+Quote Post
KnightAries
post Aug 19 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,043

Hehehehe.....
And no wishing for more wishes...

And I always liked letting my player break the wishes rules. It can make some interesting events occur; many in which the player didn't intend to happen.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 19 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Just made me think to an old article I read about greedy players and wishes.

One example was a simple wish for wealth. Granted, but then the king's knights are now looking for the contents of his majesty's royal treasury... which now just happens to be in the player's possession.

Another was a wish for everyone in a particular area to be dead. Granted, but fast forward a hundred years into the future where everyone had finally passed on from various causes.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 19 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 19 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Another was a wish for everyone in a particular area to be dead. Granted, but fast forward a hundred years into the future where everyone had finally passed on from various causes.

Reminds me of a book where there was some kind of genie-of-sorts that got imprissoned in jars. When released, they'd go through their shpeal about how long they were imprissoned, which amounted to "more than 300 years but less than 400" you got a wish, but if it was more than 400 they'd kill you (and they always claimed it was over 400 years, because it was a point of pride to have killed someone in their society).

Anyway, bumbling moron "sidekick" opens the jar, the demon comes out, claims its been 408 years (or somesuch) so "I have to kill you, what method would you like?"

The main character says without pause, "Old age."

The demon is stunned, and she goes on to ask when it was that he was put into the jar. Manage to narrow down an event they both know, it's been only 300-and-a-few years. They strike a deal, she gets a wish, he goes back in the jar, and they label it to "not be opened until X date" whereupon the demon leaves without harming the poor fellow who opens it then, as by that time she will have died by then, and he can go back and make the claim that he did kill some poor sucker. He agree, she wishes to find "an appropriate gift for some-other-character" (I forget the occasion).

Sidekick is flabbergasted that she wished for something so simple. Rational? "It's what I needed right now."

+Quote Post
TeknoDragon
post Aug 19 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,394

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 19 2012, 08:42 AM) *
I'm thinking something along the lines of using exotic dragon telesma for a unique enchantment. I'm AFB right now also.

Oh, my. Oh... my. Considering the current metaplot, this should be fun to watch!

+Quote Post
CloisterCobra
post Aug 19 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,028

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 20 2012, 12:27 AM) *
Is there any precedent in SR history of characters being offered magical "wishes" that would come true? Using powerful magical artifacts or dragons' abilities, perhaps?

Dunkelzahns will had a lot of magic things in it, does that count?

+Quote Post
shinyjam
post Aug 19 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 53,092

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 19 2012, 08:40 PM) *
The main character says without pause, "Old age."

The demon is stunned,

A smarter demon would just cast an aging spell and melt the poor guy.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 20 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (shinyjam @ Aug 19 2012, 07:50 PM) *
A smarter demon would just cast an aging spell and melt the poor guy.

Never said the smart ones got imprisoned in bottles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
shinyjam
post Aug 20 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 53,092

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 20 2012, 01:25 AM) *
Never said the smart ones got imprisoned in bottles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Good point.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 20 2012, 01:05 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (shinyjam @ Aug 19 2012, 08:35 PM) *
Good point.

I also simplified the conversation based on my memory of reading the book some 10 years ago. But yes, he wasn't a terribly smart fellow.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Aug 20 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (TeknoDragon @ Aug 19 2012, 09:17 PM) *
Oh, my. Oh... my. Considering the current metaplot, this should be fun to watch!

It's actually a fanfic.

Featuring MLP characters.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.