Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 6 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Rassin' frassin' Canadians, stealin' my thunder... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I wish the pdf sample didn't focus quite so much on just revealing all the intro fiction...but I'm glad they stretched it out for a few more pages so folks get to meet Grimmy, and can see a little more of how the rest of the book looks/works/reads.

And, yes, this and Elven Blood go together very, very, well (overlapping in a few places, but complimenting each other and building off various NPCs, etc, throughout).

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Sep 6 2012, 07:31 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 6 2012, 01:18 AM) *
Rassin' frassin' Canadians, stealin' my thunder... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I wish the pdf sample didn't focus quite so much on just revealing all the intro fiction...but I'm glad they stretched it out for a few more pages so folks get to meet Grimmy, and can see a little more of how the rest of the book looks/works/reads.

And, yes, this and Elven Blood go together very, very, well (overlapping in a few places, but complimenting each other and building off various NPCs, etc, throughout).

Oh lord, I can finally talk abot Grimmy?

I LOVE GRIMMY MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF.

I swear to God, if I can figure out a way to do it, Slamm-0! will port that little guy over to JackPoint for one day. Just ONE, until Glitch finds out and deletes it, but ... I love Grimmy so very, very much.

+Quote Post
SIN
post Sep 6 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,950

Do you guys know how far away PDF release of Elven Blood is?

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Sep 6 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Doing a quick browseover, I'm far more interested in this business between Renraku and the CAS.

I will more than likely pick this up though. Elven Blood was that good.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Sep 6 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Elven Blood rocks on toast, and Land of Promise is pretty spiffy, too. I got the chance a couple years back to play the then-unreleased "Ancient Pawns" adventure from EB, run by Critias himself and featuring one of my oldest friends who I hadn't seen in ages as another of the players. I had a very large time, and I look forward to being able to run some people through AP and the rest of the EB Missions really soon now.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Sep 6 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

Montreal 2074? Nice. Wish it were Toronto 2074 but hey, I'll take it!

Must wait to get home to buy this... great intro story by the way.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 6 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Parageology . . a book about . . blinking stones . . oi . .
If there are no Obsidians in there, it's just . . no . .

And Montreal 2074?
Is there, like, anything interesting there at all?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 6 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (SIN @ Sep 6 2012, 04:24 AM) *
Do you guys know how far away PDF release of Elven Blood is?

Bull might be able to tell ya, but I've got no idea. What I've been hearing most of the year is "after convention season is over, it will be up for sale." I know Dragon*Con and PAX were both last weekend, so it feels to me like the big summer cons are behind us -- but I can't say for sure.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 6 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 6 2012, 09:28 AM) *
And Montreal 2074?
Montreal has every convention mankind can think of.

EVERY CONVENTION.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Sep 6 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 6 2012, 10:28 AM) *
Parageology . . a book about . . blinking stones . . oi . .
If there are no Obsidians in there, it's just . . no . .

Really? For some reason this is the book I most want to get my hands on lately...Unless it was covered in 3e, I never really saw anything related to the idea of parageology, which is out of sync with the idea that telesma can come from minerals.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 6 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Para-Animals can attack and eat you. Also, Critter-Powers, Posions and telesma.
Para-Plants can attack and eat you. Also, Poisons and telesma. Critter-Powers? Guard against Astral beings.
Para-Stones can . . lie there and do nothing? O.o No poison or anything. *Homer Simpson: "BOORIING!" *

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Sep 6 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 6 2012, 12:00 PM) *
Para-Animals can attack and eat you. Also, Critter-Powers, Posions and telesma.
Para-Plants can attack and eat you. Also, Poisons and telesma. Critter-Powers? Guard against Astral beings.
Para-Stones can . . lie there and do nothing? O.o No poison or anything. *Homer Simpson: "BOORIING!" *

Boring rocks? Is uranium boring? Is it not "poisonous"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 6 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Not in it's natural state, as far as i remember . .

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Sep 6 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #15

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

[edit] Merged topics/Pinned

+Quote Post
hermit
post Sep 6 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Yeah, like the Ancients not being run by Green Lucifer anymore. Well, more to come in terms of review when I've read, not skimmed it. Interesting format, as basically all info seems contained in Shadowtalk. Oh, and Grimmy the Grimoire. That's so painful it's appropriate. Horizon must be purged with fire.

One thing for the cover: While she's improving, it seems Kat Hardy should practice perspective a bit. Cara'Sir looks a bit like R'Lyeh.

Elven Blood rocks on toast, and Land of Promise is pretty spiffy, too. I got the chance a couple years back to play the then-unreleased "Ancient Pawns" adventure from EB, run by Critias himself and featuring one of my oldest friends who I hadn't seen in ages as another of the players. I had a very large time, and I look forward to being able to run some people through AP and the rest of the EB Missions really soon now.

It hurts even more if you stop a bit between two twists of that knife. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Parageology . . a book about . . blinking stones

Never underestimate the power of a blinker stone.

Para-Stones can . .

- be orichalcum
- be telesma
- be PLAYABLE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If you’re looking for a chance to work a little farther north, Montreal might be a nice stop, eh? [Tag: Montreal 2074]

That sounds interesting, too. There's been quite a lack of writeups of mainland UCAS cities that are not Manhattan or Chicago ever since the NAGNA book back in the good old days. I take it my favourite Canadian is writing this? I'd like to see some place in the Midwest too eventually, what life's like in the UCAS/NAN border region.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Sep 6 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 6 2012, 04:45 PM) *
Oh, and Grimmy the Grimoire. That's so painful it's appropriate. Horizon must be purged with fire.

If someone creates a Grimmy the Grimoire icon, I swear to you that it will be my avatar.

I love that little guy so very, very much.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 6 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 6 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Yeah, like the Ancients not being run by Green Lucifer anymore.

FWIW, I wanted that particular tidbit to be more readily available and clear to people quite a while ago. They just never got around to actually publishing Ancient Pawns, where it happened (which was, like, pre-Origins last year) -- but it's a change that I, at least, expected to be "out there" a long time ago (so much so that, you'll see, we referenced it in some Jackpoint talk in books last year). For whatever reason, AP just never got printed/released, so I got them to bundle it up with the other four, in Elven Blood (because I really wanted it to be released, and I saw a way to try and get it out there).

+Quote Post
Grinchy McScroog...
post Sep 7 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 33,321

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Sep 6 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Montreal 2074? Nice. Wish it were Toronto 2074 but hey, I'll take it!

Must wait to get home to buy this... great intro story by the way.
A proper write-up for an actual Canadian City?? Hell, I'll be picking it up just for that!

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 6 2012, 10:28 AM) *
And Montreal 2074?
My memories of Montréal (admittedly from when I was 10-years-old) tell me that running a game set there would be awesome. Montréal has some great geography, not to mention it's always been a hot zone of Francophone and Anglophone tension. Hell, earlier this week there was an assassination attempt at a victory rally for the Parti Québécois (French separatist party) who just won a Provincial minority government in Québéc. I realise that in 2074, Québéc has long since gone on to form it's own country, but there would definitely still be a lot of resentment on both sides and Montréal is a UCAS border town. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/proof.gif)

Now if I could only find the time to finish my work-up of Toronto 2074... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 7 2012, 02:55 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Even if not a border town, Montreal is a Port Town (Thanks to the St. Lawrence River lock system), which means there's people from all over the place coming to it.

Hell, it might even have a huge amount of displaced non-elven Irish as part of its population!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 7 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 7 2012, 12:45 AM) *
Never underestimate the power of a blinker stone.

Gunnerkrigg Court Reference detected
- be orichalcum
- be telesma
- be PLAYABLE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

HOW? x.x
If there ain't Obsidimen/Obsidians in there . .

+Quote Post
Nath
post Sep 7 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Sep 7 2012, 02:23 AM) *
My memories of Montréal (admittedly from when I was 10-years-old) tell me that running a game set there would be awesome. Montréal has some great geography, not to mention it's always been a hot zone of Francophone and Anglophone tension.
Anglophone Irish gang in the West End near the airport, Italian mafia in the northeast, Chinatown, bikers pretty much everywhere else... The Underground City would probably allow someone to walk directly from one extraterritorial zone to another without going outside or leaving corporate property. Did some research for a game a while ago, loved what I found.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Sep 7 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

As promised, a more detailed look at Land of Promise.

1. Layers
The story builds well, and does a good job of expanding on Cara’sir/Portland’s feel. Liked the makeup of the story, namedropping and pacing was just right for it’s place in the book, unlike some intro fiction since the author purge. Also, goo to see CGL is backpedalling on making Tir Tairngire an easily accessible, disneyfied elven kingdom, as seems to have been the idea earlier in SR4’s cycle.

2. The Land of Promise
Haha, Grimmy. Haha! Also like the pacing, including the little AR menu windows giving the feel you’re actually browsing a travel brochure pestered by that terrifying mascot book. Though it’s list of helpful phrases cracked me up. Everything seems a bit reduced though, and blanking out a bunch of options in the virtual brochure might put some readers off.

The best part, though, was the update on the Princes, and a few other important NPC. So Brightlight’s not become dragon chow after all … The nearly all shadowtalk writeup was a nice touch (and a shout out to the ‘Open Forum’ chapter of the original Tir book?), and the info was compact but had content enough to be useful, and didn't give the impressionj of only a solid infodump. The character art for all princes was a nice touch too. Oh, and aside from Brightlight, other old faces reappearing – the Dodger (still Laverty’s man?) and Blackwing. One of the players in my group loves your writeup for Blackwing, she’s had a crush on that guy ever since Elven Fire. And is Amy who I think she is?

3. Plot hooks
I really hope Elven Blood is going to be out soon. Really, really do. Because that teasing is killing me. It’s like waiting for SRM 4-10. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) Hooks are nice but this seems a little hollow if you know five full fledged Missions fitting this writeup perfectly are out there and unpublished so far.

4. Character Trove
Kudos for localized weapons variants. I’d rather have more of those and less Gun Heaven files (and swap the publishing slots for spotlight pieces like this one or, you know, Elven Blood but meh). Other than that, others do the rules maths better than I do, but overall, they look good and easily usable. Writing up an archetype for all named gangs is a nice touch instead of seven iterations of ‘special forces soldier’, too.

What I’d like to see would be a bit of background on the feel and social makeup of the country, the economy, and such things. But I realize such a writeup isn’t the place for this.

8/10

If there ain't Obsidimen/Obsidians in there . .

Yet, Stahlseele. Yet.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 7 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

Mr.D had them written out of existance or planned to at least, if i remember correctly.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Sep 7 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

For what it's worth (pretty much nothing), obsidimen get a mention in the Runner's Companion april fools preview

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.