Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OOC: Stalking the Edge, OOC thread for
Fenris
post Sep 13 2012, 05:40 AM
Post #1

GM of DOOM!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,296

Welcome to the OOC thread for Stalking the Edge, a PbP thread here on Dumpshock. Recruiting for this thread is already closed, and the following players have been chosen:
NotSoEvilDM: Shivan - Naga Decker/Rigger ( Character Sheet )
UmaroIV: Boots - Free Spirit (Dream Pact) ( Character Sheet )
Buddha72: Ama - Nosferatu Mystic Adept
BishopMcQ: Mato - Totemic Bear Shape-Shifter

IC Thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=37954

Current XP: 81
Individual additions to XP:
Ama: 5 (+5 [Encounter with Samael])
Mato: 5 (+5 [Encounter with Samael])
Shivan: 3 (+3 [Escaping from Lab])
Boots: 3 (+3 [finishing the car theft])

Improving Characters
  • Most skills can be improved at any time. Any number of skills can be increased, however, no skill can be raised more than one point per week.
  • Martial Arts will require an instructor or tutorsoft, and martial arts advantages require a flesh-and-blood tutor.
  • Spells require spell formulae
  • Initiation and Submersions require in-game components
  • Metamagics require magician or free spirit tutors.
  • All other rules (like time for bonding foci) all still apply.

Posting Conventions (IC):
Please pick and use a single font (except as listed below) throughout the life of your posts in the IC thread.

"Speech should be set off like this, in double quotes. Please make sure to end paragraphs before lines of spoken dialogue, and to start new paragraphs after the dialogue. Just like a book. Please use this color - the code is #00FFFF"

Any internalized comments or monologues should be italicized, like so.

Dialogue or information passed in a digital format should use the font=Times New Roman and Color=Light Yellow tags, as I've done here. This includes texts, files, maps, etc. The color code is #FFFACD.

If it's in a language other than English, please set it off in orange. That's the easiest way to distinguish, since otherwise it should look like any other dialogue or internal conversation. The color code is #FF8C00.

Please bold the names of characters or NPCs to make it easier for me to find elements within the posts. Feel free to bold proper nouns if you want such corporations or locations like the Looking Glass etc but its not a requirement - I just need the names.

Posting Conventions (OOC):
I would like everyone to please use Invisible Castlewhich can be found here. Then copy and paste your dice rolls to the OCC thread please.

Optional Rules Being Used
Learning Metagmagics (Street Magic pg 52)
Learning Echoes (Unwired pg 145)

Whenever you're changing the gear your character is wearing or carrying, please post it here. I will check for the last "Gear Worn/Carried" entry for your character and assume that's what you're wearing / carrying. Same for PAN settings and False ID's. Astral and AR/VR states I'll take from IC posts, unless you explicitly state something here.

Also feel free to ask questions here or if you prefer more privacy then PM me.

You will get 1 karma a week every Monday starting next week plus additional points rewarded (roleplaying, pushing the story forward, completing a major goal, etc) by me in this thread. Please PM me with any karma expenditures you make. I will ask for updated character sheets from time to time so make sure you have a current copy.

All - As a note... I want to try and keep the entries in the IC thread fairly narrative, so look for results from rolls to show up here, and then you can post reactions or interpretations in the IC thread. So, don't wait on an IC post from me if you're just pausing to make rolls.

I'd like everyone to post a general current visual description of the character (mostly for my reference) as a line near the top of your current gear posts.

Characters are finalized as of October 20th.

Character creation rules are going to be per the normal 400bp rules, with a couple of modifications:
  • 4x base Charisma in free points for Contacts. It's my intent that since the characters aren't doing the normal Shadowrun stuff, I want to simulate more real life style relationships. Most people know more than 2 people.
  • +200 build points if, and only if, you take a meta type that requires the expenditure of a significant amount of points. I'm looking to allow things like Nosferatu, AI's, etc. Normal limitations on positive/negative qualities, number of build points on stats, etc apply, with the +200 not counting as additional base points. Same goes for skill caps, etc.
  • Each character will be require to complete at least the basic 20 questions for background.
  • More modifications may come up here as we talk...Nothing's set till characters are done. dead.

This post has been edited by Fenris: Apr 1 2014, 03:33 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Buddha72
post Sep 13 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 3,026

Everyday Appearance: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&sect...female#/d3dwo5y
Working Appearance: http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&...set=72#/d1mceb1 (after I get delta grade hair implants)

Gear Worn/Carried
Contact Lenses Rating 3
 *Image Link
 *Flare Compensation
 *Smartlink
Earbuds Rating 3
 *Spatial Recognizer 
 *Select Sound Filter 3
Fairlight Caliban Commlink (capacity 4)w/ Novatech Navi OS
 *Response 4/Signal 5/System 4/Firewall 3
 *Sim Module (1)
 *Armor Rating 10 (1)
 *Biometric Lock 6 (1)
 *Hardening 6 (1)
 *Trodes
 Fake SIN (Rating 4/Emma Tanaka)
Medkit (Rating 6)
Electronics Kit

Armor
Urban Explorer Jumpsuit 6/6 (Capacity 6)
*Commlink (2)
*Skinlink (3)
*Micro-Transceiver 6 (1)
*Fire Protection 3
*Nonconductivity 3
*Thermal Dampening 3
Urban Explorer Hood 0/+2 (Capacity 5)
*Simrig (5)
Form Fitting Full Body Armor 4/1
*Fire Protection 2
*Nonconductivity 2
*Thermal Dampening 2

Total: 10/7 with hood 10/9

Weapons
Katana (Str/2+3P AP -1, 1 Reach)
Sai (Str/2+1P or S)
Shuriken (Str/2P)
Short(0):0-4/Medium(-1):5-8/Long(-2):9-20/Extreme(-3):21-28
Collapsible Bow (4+1P) w/ Smartlink
Short(0):0-4/Medium(-1):5-40/Long(-2):41-120/Extreme(-3):121-240
*Barbed Head Arrow (First Aid + Logic 2 Test or 1 box of damage)
*Explosive Head Arrow (+1 damage modifier)
*Hammerhead Arrow (Stun, AP +2)
*Incendiary Arrow (4 DV of fire damage, 3 Combat Turns)
*Stick-n-Shock Arrow (6S(e), AP 1/2)

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 13 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #3

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Mato is a massive, hirsute human. Nearly the size of a troll, he lumbers more than walks. He has a slow speech pattern and is unfamiliar with English, making many people think that he is slow-witted. Speaking to him in his native tongue or tribal languages will show his true intellect.

Gear Worn/Carried
Form Fitting Body Armor

Not Currently Worn but Nearby
Riot Control Armor
Tomahawk

+Quote Post
Notsoevildm
post Sep 13 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,869

Shivan is an 8 m long naga with a pair of obvious cyberarms mounted on his spine about 1 m down from his head. His head and back are a mottled brown, his front and face a lighter tan colour. He wears a strange crownlike piece of headgear that holds his commlink.

Gear worn/carried
Armor Jacket [6/4]
Novatech Airwave + Novatech Navi OS + upgraded System and Firewall (Response 4, Signal 3, System 5, Firewall 4)
Matrix progs: Analyze (ergo) 5, Armor 3, Attack 4, Biofeedback filter 3, Browse 5, Command 5, Decrypt 3, Edit 5, Encrypt 3, Exploit 5, Reality Filter (ergo) 5, Scan 5, Sniffer 3, Spoof 3, Stealth (ergo) 5, Track 3
MCT Fly-Spy minidrone
Ferret RPD-1X minidrone

Commlink status
PAN: Hidden, no SIN
Response 4, Signal 3, System 5, Firewall 4
Active programs: Stealth 5 (ergo), Analyze 5 (ergo), Reality filter 5 (ergo); Command 5, Biofeedback filter 3, Scan 5, Exploit 5, Spoof 3
Matrix progs: Analyze (ergo) 5, Armor 3, Attack 4, Biofeedback filter 3, Browse 5, Command 5, Decrypt 3, Edit 5, Encrypt 3, Exploit 5, Reality Filter (ergo) 5, Scan 5, Sniffer 3, Spoof 3, Stealth (ergo) 5, Track 3

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Sep 13 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

Boots possession status:
Not possessing anything.

Boots Gear Worn/Carried
Boots does not normally wear or carry any gear.

Boots astral form looks like a shaggy mongrel dog with hazy grey-brown fur and distinct black markings on his paws.

When possessing someone and not using Realistic Form to look mundane, Boots makes their eyes glow bright red, and anything with fur or hair will have a ghostly overlay of Boots coloration. Other signs will appear as well (enough to make it very obvious that the target is possessed) depending on the form of the vessel.

When possessing something and using Realistic Form, Boots just makes the vessel look like what it normally looks like.

When using Realistic Form, Boots normally also uses Aura Masking to hide his aura on the astral. He opposes attempts to see through it with Intuition(5)+Magic=Force(6)+Edge(5)=16d6.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Sep 13 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Notsoevildm: Naga can't be technomancers (because they have an innate magic attribute), but can of course be deckers. I think a sapient critter character would be neat; I've never seen any besides pixies.

+Quote Post
Buddha72
post Sep 13 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Since I run and play in games with SR I have an idea I want to play before adding it to my games. For whatever reason, this system has had a lot of "generations" for me with players adding to the world setting then retiring to NPC status or their actions carry over into other games. A good example - the Hengeyokai was a group created and set up by a player and the current game I am running is a PC played through BishopMcQ's game and what he/she is doing after.

That being said I am looking to create a new group of Infected Awakened group along the lines of the Handmaidens of Izanami (name still under construction) to use in my games. So the character would be newly changed with the hopes of earning admission into this group - I am wanting to play out her struggle to deal with her new state and the group using this time for her to prove her worth - trial by fire sort of thing. I love the medium since a table top this process would take a great deal of time away from other players who rightfully came to play as well so thanks Fenris. I am going Mystic Adept - formerly a low ranking member of some sort of criminal organization before being given this offer to ascend to a higher state more in keeping with the goddess she serves.

That's my bit so far.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 13 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #8

The back-up plan

The concept for my shifter was a bear that was invested with a spirit formula (spirit pact) for one of the tribes totems. That triggered the x-factor to become a shapeshifter, and have been a tribal protector. When I brainstormed the character out with Buddha, was thinking that my tribe had been killed/attacked by some form of Infected. Our characters were hunting down that creature and I was discovering the world outside of the tribal land.

+Quote Post
Buddha72
post Sep 13 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

That still works for me - the character would have been not Infected at the time but working to earn the "blessing" of Izanami - not even really knowing it was at that point.

+Quote Post
Notsoevildm
post Sep 14 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Curse you UmaroVI, I have been thinking about naga deckers all night! The germ of an idea has now manifested into the following almost completely broken concept, so I'm starting to like it:

Shivan, naga adept decker/rigger with shiva arms (may need surged for the latter for extra brokenness).

Except she is a he. Captured when young for being different (four arms) and nicknamed when his sex still wasn't clear, scientist wired him up with a DNI to study his brain. They didn't take into account that he was actually a sentient creature and he learnt a lot about the world around him through the images beamed into his head 24/7. As he grew into adulthood, he discovered that he could interact with these images (giving the scientists no end of ways to study / torture him) and eventually how to control them. Freed by some eco-terrorists, he was 'released back into the wild' where he has absolutely no skills for surviving. He now lives on the fringes of human society, using his drones and decking skills to get by.

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Sep 16 2012, 03:03 AM
Post #11

GM of DOOM!

Alright alright, let's get the ball rolling on the character discussions. And to be clear, since this is the whole individual focused game, I'm looking to actually roleplay through some of these kind of events, like being freed and then discarded by an eco-terrorist group, or being suddenly released as a summoner is killed, or suddenly waking up as a sentient shifter. Unlike most shadowrun's, I'm not looking for everyone's background to be a neat little box that comes to a point where the offer up the character and say, "Now I'm ready for runs." I want to play through some of the messy 'before' stuff.

To start answering questions -

UmaroVI - Fine with the basic character concept. Free Spirit is definitely one of the wiggier things out there.
  • Dream Pact - Is fine for explaining where the karma comes from.
  • Does the spirit get "yanked" back to the pact-ee from wherever they are if the pact-ee goes to sleep? - Yes
  • What if they get KO'd or drugged? - No. As far as I understand, this is very different from sleep.
  • Also, I'm pretty sure that the possession of Dream Pact works like the Possession power, but I wanted to doublecheck this. - I'm going to read a little more into this, but I'll need to research more before I have a final answer.
  • I think that even with Realistic Form, a free spirit can't access the Matrix or view AR or VR in any way whatsoever. Is this also how you read it? - My interpretation is the same. Since a Realistic Form of a modern day toaster can't access the Matrix, even though it could toast toast, my understanding is that you couldn't use anything that required simsense. So, you could get ARO's through glasses, because those are just display an image to anything that can see through them. Nothing that requires simsense or you to plug in, however, so it's AR gloves or something similar for control.

Notsoevildm - Everything that I've been able to read seems to say that with GM approval, you can take Metagenic qualities on Meta-sapients, and Shiva arms doesn't have any additional restrictions. Sounds good to me, way to get around it. Obviously the restrictions on positive qualities would limit the number of arms you could take to four (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, editing the first post to reflect ongoing character ideas.

+Quote Post
Notsoevildm
post Sep 17 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Looking into Naga over the weekend I discovered that they don't have any arms at all. No wonder no-one plays one! Still going with the original idea there are two options:

Option 1: One pair of shiva arms is one more pair of arms than most naga, so still makes him worth keeping for study. 'Imagine if we could breed a whole bunch of these?'

Option 2: Going with the rigger background, the arms are actually cyberarms (paid with essence) and a high maintenance implant to boot (did I mention that I like playing broken characters).

In either case, being pretty much a lab rat would allow me to start him out with minimal equipment and rather poor skills. Would not have much in the way of contacts either as about the only people he would initially know would be scientists at the lab. Also rather than being tortured by his captors, I was thinking that (at least some of them) actually treat him well and he has some run of the facility. So being extracted by a bunch of eco-terrorists would be somewhat traumatic for him.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 17 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #13

The back-up plan

Fenris--what would you like from us before the IC thread starts? Concept, 20 ?s, and a partial character? Is there a timeline you had in mind for us to nail the preliminary stuff down?

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Sep 17 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

More questions/notes

-Would it work better if I leave the circumstances of my summoner's death up to you, and we can play that out?

-The rules for free spirit PCs just aren't compatible with the rules for free spirit (or regular spirit, for that matter) NPCs or for Ally Spirits. I'm going to just write up the "end result," and if you want to have him with different stats at the start before becoming free, that's cool.

-Free Spirits, when they become free, get a copy of their spirit formula imbued into a person, place, or object that is present at the time they become free. Also, the dream-pactee. I was thinking of having them be the same person, a surviving teammate (who was also going to be paid for as a contact). Is this OK with you?

-Not everyone agrees about how Shapechange works, and I wanted to check we were on the same page. The screwy part is the "2 points greater or less than their own" restriction on Body; if the base creature has body 7, is that supposed to be body 9 or less, body 5 through 9, or body exactly 5 or 9? I think it's the first but you can make a case for any of them.

I'm working on the sheet, I should have something done soonish.

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Sep 18 2012, 04:11 AM
Post #15

GM of DOOM!

Notsoevil - I'm definitely good with either one idea. Changelings are supposed to be odd, so a naga with arms would definitely stand out. Even cyberarms. And I'm totally down with it being a traumatic thing. Suffering breeds character, right?

I'm just sort of responding, because it doesn't sound like you're asking specific questions, but I want to encourage the thinking. Let me know if there's something specific you want feedback on.

BishopMcQ - Let's arbitrarily throw out the 1st of October to get the ball rolling on the IC thread. To get things started, I'll need a definitive story starting point for each character, a 20 questions filled out up to that point, and first draft of the character sheet. I say first draft not because I mean for it not to be complete, but I'm allowing for the possibility of people wanting to change things up after it gets rolling.

UmaroVI

• I don't mind you giving the circumstances, but it seems like one of those great things to RP either way. Feel free to dictate as much about it as you like, and when we start, I can fill in the details.
  • I'm fine with you just writing up the 'end result'. If I want to modify things before that point is reached, I'll write something up and toss it out.
  • It makes sense that the dream-pactee as a survivor of that event might end up imprinted with your formula. And I'm definitely fine with all of that being wrapped up in a single contact (here's hoping you take a high loyalty!)
  • I'm definitely someone that would rule 'between 2 points below your body up to 2 points above your body' kind of person. Exact numbers don't make sense to me in this context.

Added requirements and launch date to OP.

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Sep 21 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #16

GM of DOOM!

Quick bump just to check and see how characters are panning out? If anyone has a definite starting point yet, I'd love to know that too so I can start planning.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Sep 21 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Where I'm at right now:

My plan is a "Familiar" ally spirit belonging to a Hedge Witch of the "clever folk" style tradition. I'm going to go with a Cheshire Cat-esque being whose home metaplane is Alfhame. Said witch's partner-in-crime is/was her younger brother, a combat-hacker type. I'm putting the last touches on the character sheet and background/20Q/etc now.

+Quote Post
Notsoevildm
post Sep 21 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Leaning towards lab rat naga, captured at a young age and given some cyberware including arms and headware to study effects of implanting tech into awakened sentients. Has been brought up in the lab and some of the scientists are nice and some not. Has developed a surprising ability with technology and the matrix and has some bits and bobs (fly spy, mini crawler) that the scientist let him play with.

We can roleplay how he ends up out of the lab - current ideas are 'rescued' by ecoterrorists and released into wild. The eco-terrorists may or may not be 'actors' hired by corp to see how he copes with real life and things may or may not go wrong with the extraction.

Have made initial forays into Chummmer - naga is 30 points so was going with a 430 point build although would like to buy off the uneducated quality which is 20 additional points. Is it okay to go with a 450 point build?

+Quote Post
Buddha72
post Sep 21 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Hoping to get the character finished this weekend as well as post to my threads. Still Infected mystic adept - left out to survive shortly after the change.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 22 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #20

The back-up plan

Have a first draft of the character finished, need to add my contacts and finish my 20 Questions. Grizzly bear from the Alqonquian-Manitou region, tribal defender still.

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Sep 22 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #21

GM of DOOM!

Sounds good, all. Unless you have strenuous objections, I think I'd like to go ahead and have the 20 questions posted here. Since I'm looking for a more collaborative style, I think we can dismiss with some if the standard paranoia about characters and their backgrounds.

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Sep 22 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #22

GM of DOOM!

Sounds good, all. Unless you have strenuous objections, I think I'd like to go ahead and have the 20 questions posted here. Since I'm looking for a more collaborative style, I think we can dismiss with some if the standard paranoia about characters and their backgrounds.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 22 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #23

The back-up plan

Confirming the 20 questions:
We are shaped by out heritage. Facial features, skin tone, hight, build, metatype, even aptitudes are influenced by the genes passed from parent to child. Attitude, too, is taught by parents, informed by their own lives and their cultural hertiage. Where does your character come from, what is her lineage, who were her parents, and what did she inherit from them?

Parents can be proud of their children or regret ever bringing them into the world. Some are loving, and some are indifferent. All of them are only metahuman and have their own opinions of their children. Assuming they could speak, what would each of your character's parents say about her?

Many people remember certain historical events for the rest of their lives. For those alive in the first decade of the 21st century, it could be the assassination of John F. Kennedy, or the Tiananmen Square protests, or the fall of the Berlin Wall, or the attack of 11 September 2001. People remember where they were, and what they were doing when they first heard of these events. Shadowrun history has significant events as well, such as the assassination of President Dunkelzahn, the Crash 2.0, and the emergence of technomancers and artifical intelligences. Pick a few events from recent Shadowrun history and ask where the character was at the time, what does he remember about about event, and what was he doing at the time?

Very few people choose to become shadowrunners. More likley, they are thrown into the life by a chaotic and uncaring world. Even if she made a conscious decision to enter the shadows, her decision is influenced by the world around her. How did your character get into shadowrunning, and why did she take that path?

People have control over their own living arrangements. From the child young enough to use crayons and tape all the way up to the elderly shut-in who plasters her walls with family photos and cat pictures, everyone makes their living spaces more personally pleasing. What is your character's living space like, and what has he added or changed to make it his own?

Everyone has beliefs, and many beliefs strong enough to be convictions. Some are religious, some are political, some are socical, and some are just about why people are here. What does your character believe in, what are her convictions (if any), and why does she hold them?

Everyone has aspects of their personality that grate on someone. Even the best of friends annoy one another from time to time. The flaws in a person’s character are as important as the qualities. What do you dislike most about your character’s personality?

The Sixth World is considered by many to be spinning out of control. If anyone could exert control over it, it would be the “Big Ten” triple-A megacorps. These transnationals exert a lot of influence on everyday life in the 2070s. Which of the Big Ten does your character hold in the highest (or least low) regard, which does he like the least, and why?

People make acquaintances and friends; we’re hardwired for it. Humans are social animals. This is especially true in the shadows, where often it is not the power you have, but the power you can borrow, and not who you, are but who you know. There’s a story behind each and every one of these relationships. What is the story with your character and her contacts?

It’s Sunday morning, and your character has no commitments until tomorrow afternoon. What does she do for the day?

Your character has a specific skill set, a list of Active and Knowledge skills that define what she knows and her areas of expertise. How did she come to learn those skills, and how did she develop them to those levels?

Everyone has their limits. People can be dark, but most people’s instinct is to draw the line at certain actions and thoughts, and they keep to their own moral convictions. Is there a moral limit that your character enforces on the jobs she takes, and in what shadow work would she refuse to engage?

If you have an Awakened or technomancer character, consider your character’s tradition and streams. Even within the major established magical traditions and the recently emerged technomantic streams, there is room for personalization. Ask yourself what drew her to that particular paradigm, how does it effect the way she views the world and her magic, how does it translate into choice of mentor spirit or paragon, and how does it affect the appearance of the spirits or sprites you conjure or compile?

While acceptance and bias vary from place to place, augmentations— be they bio-, cyber-, gene-, or nanoware—are increasingly common and available in the Sixth World. However, personal technological enhancement is rarely cheap, and many implants that runners possess are restricted. How did your character come to have the enhancements she has, how were they paid for, and what motivated the choices she made (if she did make the choices)?

Life as a shadowrunner is by definition outside the bounds of “normal” life. Shadowrunners do not truly fit into the lives of ordinary people, whether they live in slums or mansions. What does your character think of ordinary life, mainstream culture, and those who abide by it?

Everyone has nightmares. Sometimes, we forget the dream completely on waking. Sometimes, the nightmare haunts us or even recurs. If your character had a lingering nightmare or a deep-rooted fear, what would it be, and why does he find it so terrifying?

People tend to attach sentimental value to items in their possession or people they are close to. They make an effort to keep these close by and safe. What is your character’s “sacred object” or “close one,” and how did they come to be so important to him?

One of metahumanity’s greatest assets is its ability to look toward the future and imagine a better life. Even small children have dreams about what they want to be when they grow up. What did your character want to become when he was a child, and what are his goals now?

A person’s appearance can say volumes about him. From fashion sense, to the colors he prefers, to the way he walks and speaks. Sometimes, his personality determines his appearance, and, sometimes, the appearance he chooses to present the world effects his personality. What does your character look like, and what inspired his choices?

Everyone has a name, but a runner’s street name is a representation of his connection to the shadows. Sometimes runners choose their own moniker, but more often it is given to them as a nickname or earned through some (mis)adventure. How did your character come to be known by his street name?

+Quote Post
Fenris
post Sep 23 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #24

GM of DOOM!

Yup, that's them.

Notsoevildm - I meant to address your question directly. Yes, totally fine to take a portion of the bonus points, that's definitely the idea. 50 seems fine.

+Quote Post
Notsoevildm
post Sep 24 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

20 questions (Shivan) - first draft

We are shaped by out heritage. Facial features, skin tone, hight, build, metatype, even aptitudes are influenced by the genes passed from parent to child. Attitude, too, is taught by parents, informed by their own lives and their cultural hertiage. Where does your character come from, what is her lineage, who were her parents, and what did she inherit from them?
Shivan was brought to Seattle from Burma when he was barely out of his shell. As a result he has no memories of life in the wild. He grew up in a lab and the scientists who are studying him, the good and the bad, are his only real family.

Parents can be proud of their children or regret ever bringing them into the world. Some are loving, and some are indifferent. All of them are only metahuman and have their own opinions of their children. Assuming they could speak, what would each of your character's parents say about her?
Shivan was the runt of the litter and his father would be disdainful of him even today, and a little freaked out be his arms. His mother would be happy to know that her child is alive and making his own way in society.

Many people remember certain historical events for the rest of their lives. For those alive in the first decade of the 21st century, it could be the assassination of John F. Kennedy, or the Tiananmen Square protests, or the fall of the Berlin Wall, or the attack of 11 September 2001. People remember where they were, and what they were doing when they first heard of these events. Shadowrun history has significant events as well, such as the assassination of President Dunkelzahn, the Crash 2.0, and the emergence of technomancers and artifical intelligences. Pick a few events from recent Shadowrun history and ask where the character was at the time, what does he remember about about event, and what was he doing at the time?
Shivan has seen trid footage of Dunkelzahn's campaign and his subsequent assassination. He finds it strange that these humans would vote for a dragon, less strange that some of them would want to kill it.

Very few people choose to become shadowrunners. More likley, they are thrown into the life by a chaotic and uncaring world. Even if she made a conscious decision to enter the shadows, her decision is influenced by the world around her. How did your character get into shadowrunning, and why did she take that path?
Shivan is a lab rat. His only access to the outside world is through the matrix. And while it is strictly controlled by the scientists, he has learned a trick or two to avoid detection and has made some contacts with the shadow community via virtual meeting rooms.

People have control over their own living arrangements. From the child young enough to use crayons and tape all the way up to the elderly shut-in who plasters her walls with family photos and cat pictures, everyone makes their living spaces more personally pleasing. What is your character's living space like, and what has he added or changed to make it his own?
The walls of Shivan's nest are covered with pictures of snakes, lizards and other scaled creatures from all sorts of media. He rests on a big pile of cushions, stacked in one corner.

Everyone has beliefs, and many beliefs strong enough to be convictions. Some are religious, some are political, some are socical, and some are just about why people are here. What does your character believe in, what are her convictions (if any), and why does she hold them?
Shivan believes in freedom. People shouldn't be kept in cages, even ones as relatively pleasant as his own.

Everyone has aspects of their personality that grate on someone. Even the best of friends annoy one another from time to time. The flaws in a person’s character are as important as the qualities. What do you dislike most about your character’s personality?
In some ways Shivan is a spoilt brat. While the scientists always want him to do things, he has never had to deal with the day-to-day challenges of life. He also believes he is somehow superior to humans, despite the fact he has been their captive for years.

The Sixth World is considered by many to be spinning out of control. If anyone could exert control over it, it would be the “Big Ten” triple-A megacorps. These transnationals exert a lot of influence on everyday life in the 2070s. Which of the Big Ten does your character hold in the highest (or least low) regard, which does he like the least, and why?
Shivan is a big fan of Ares as they make nice drones. He might not be such a big fan, if he ever found out the that the facility where he is being held belongs to a subsidiary of Ares.

People make acquaintances and friends; we’re hardwired for it. Humans are social animals. This is especially true in the shadows, where often it is not the power you have, but the power you can borrow, and not who you, are but who you know. There’s a story behind each and every one of these relationships. What is the story with your character and her contacts?
Shivan has only a few human contacts and those are mainly staff at the facility. One of the lead scientists has always treated him kindly and Shivan sees him as a sort of father figure. Another member of the team is a young female cybertech specialist who occasionally brings him new toys (drones) to play with. Finally, in his few unsupervised matrix trips he has made contact with a decker who he only know by his serpent icon.

It’s Sunday morning, and your character has no commitments until tomorrow afternoon. What does she do for the day?
]It's always nice to crank up the heating and bask in the warmth. It would be even better if it was somewhere outside and under the real sun. He would spend some 'unsupervised' time on the matrix. His access is limited and he can't imagine what it must be like for people to have unrestricted access to the virtual. And then after a quick snack, some time tinkering with his toys. He might not be able to leave his cage but his little drones can.

Your character has a specific skill set, a list of Active and Knowledge skills that define what she knows and her areas of expertise. How did she come to learn those skills, and how did she develop them to those levels?
The scientists gave him a datajack, mainly to be able to study his brain, but also as a means of teaching him about the world around him. He proved an able student, and his matrix skills now surpass many of the scientists studying him. His weapons training was linked to testing the cyberarms they installed as part of a program looking into using naga for military purposes.

Everyone has their limits. People can be dark, but most people’s instinct is to draw the line at certain actions and thoughts, and they keep to their own moral convictions. Is there a moral limit that your character enforces on the jobs she takes, and in what shadow work would she refuse to engage?
Shivan has never killed anyone, not yet anyway. He would likely also be uncomfortable with kidnappings, especially of children. While he does not know exactly how he ended up in this facility, he doubts that his parents would have just given him away, even if they actually did.

If you have an Awakened or technomancer character, consider your character’s tradition and streams. Even within the major established magical traditions and the recently emerged technomantic streams, there is room for personalization. Ask yourself what drew her to that particular paradigm, how does it effect the way she views the world and her magic, how does it translate into choice of mentor spirit or paragon, and how does it affect the appearance of the spirits or sprites you conjure or compile?
He is only free in the matrix, even if still under the watchful eye of the corp's deckers. The digital is his realm.

While acceptance and bias vary from place to place, augmentations— be they bio-, cyber-, gene-, or nanoware—are increasingly common and available in the Sixth World. However, personal technological enhancement is rarely cheap, and many implants that runners possess are restricted. How did your character come to have the enhancements she has, how were they paid for, and what motivated the choices she made (if she did make the choices)?
All his enhancements were installed by the corp. His headware was installed to give the scientists insights into his mind as well as an easy way to educate him. His arms were installed as part of a program to weaponize naga, as well as to study the effects of augmentations on awakened creatures.

Life as a shadowrunner is by definition outside the bounds of “normal” life. Shadowrunners do not truly fit into the lives of ordinary people, whether they live in slums or mansions. What does your character think of ordinary life, mainstream culture, and those who abide by it?
These humans think he is their prisoner. Yet they too are all prisoners of the corps. They follow the orders of others, with only brief moments of freedom to do as they please.

Everyone has nightmares. Sometimes, we forget the dream completely on waking. Sometimes, the nightmare haunts us or even recurs. If your character had a lingering nightmare or a deep-rooted fear, what would it be, and why does he find it so terrifying?
He is finally free of his prison. He seeks out his own kind but they laugh at him because of his arms and pull them off. With no arms, he cannot do anything and is left alone and helpless.

People tend to attach sentimental value to items in their possession or people they are close to. They make an effort to keep these close by and safe. What is your character’s “sacred object” or “close one,” and how did they come to be so important to him?
Slither is his a snake soft toy the scientists gave him when he was small and lonely. He still keeps the toy buied under his bed of cushions. Not only is it one of the few items he owns, but it also contains his the commlink he has been secretly building for himself.

One of metahumanity’s greatest assets is its ability to look toward the future and imagine a better life. Even small children have dreams about what they want to be when they grow up. What did your character want to become when he was a child, and what are his goals now?
As a child, Shivan just wanted to be with others of his kind. While he is not sure if he would fit in with them now, but would still like to be out of this fragging cage.

A person’s appearance can say volumes about him. From fashion sense, to the colors he prefers, to the way he walks and speaks. Sometimes, his personality determines his appearance, and, sometimes, the appearance he chooses to present the world effects his personality. What does your character look like, and what inspired his choices?
At just over 8 m, he is actually a little on the short side for an adult naga and is not as strong as his wild siblings. His scales are light brown on his face and belly and darker brown, mottled with green, on his head and back. He sports a datajack port on the back of his head just at the base of his skull and a pair of obvious cyberlimbs protrude from his spine about a metre down from his head.
Everyone has a name, but a runner’s street name is a representation of his connection to the shadows. Sometimes runners choose their own moniker, but more often it is given to them as a nickname or earned through some (mis)adventure. How did your character come to be known by his street name?
The scientists used the codename 'Steven' when discussing the naga and it sort of stuck as a name. However, Shivan struggles to pronounce the letter 'T' so 'Steven' became 'Shivan'.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.