Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Coats?, Who wears these?
Gotti
post Apr 18 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,255

Why does virtually everyone wear a long-coat? Yes, I know that it adds to the concealability of you're weapons. But it sticks out like a sore thumb, except for in winter, or perpetually cold/rainy locations. And the fact that it makes it easy to conceal a weapon means that anyone wearing one is going to be looked at more.

Wearign a T-shirt, jeans and vest, with a pistol securely tucked into a concealable holster is IMHO, 100% better. You don't stand out that much, so the authorities have less of a reason to look at you carefully. And when you're drawing attention, you're already losign that "concealable" edge.

Consider dropping to a less obvious weapon. I do it all the time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Apr 18 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Notice that Seattle is prepetually rainy :D But yes, clothing should be determined by your environment. Notice that wearing your trench coat to the black tie dinner won't do either.

+Quote Post
Egon
post Apr 18 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,860

^shrug^ I don't know. I thought it looked cool when I saw it in all the vids. I guess I just fell in to the Fad.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 18 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Scully and Mulder looked good in their trenchcoats. Remember it is alos wise to wear a longcoat in windy places too.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Apr 18 2004, 07:26 AM
Post #5

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix) showed us that you can have a lot of style wearing a long coat. And Keanu Reeves showed us you can have a lot of guns.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Apr 18 2004, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

asking questions like that is like asking "why do Mexican mariachi bands wear sombreros?"

:eek:

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 18 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,197

Because everyone wants to be their favorite Matrix character, of course.

If they have katanas and MAC-10's while doing it, all the better! Granted, doing something like that in my game means the Hand of God comes down to slap you rather than save you.

Hate katanas...so much...

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Apr 18 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Ditto. Katanaphiles...gah. Too many through my game.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Apr 18 2004, 07:46 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I wear a trenchcoat sometimes, when its cold or windy. No one seems to look at me. Saying trenchcoats get you funny looks is like saying "You can put a small gun in a boot, so anyone wearing boots will be looked at strangely."

+Quote Post
Gotti
post Apr 18 2004, 07:51 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,255

Yeah. When it's cold or windy. But other than that, why? And maybe you're lucky. But 'round here, trench's get you the "trenchcoat mafia" comments.

but I guess style is what's important when running. Style is what keeps your ass alive.

+Quote Post
TechnoDruid
post Apr 18 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 6,121

I wear a full length leather trenchcoat year round. Though I live in Wyoming, the wind here absolutely sucks, so it's a bit more accepted here than say, oh...Arizona.

On a social end, it goes with pretty much anything I wear. When I used to go clubbing a lot, I'd usually wear it with a black wifebeater underneath. I also used to do independent/freelance marketing. Combine the trench with black, pin stripped suit, and my leather fedora hat, and it's actually very professional.

Just my 0.02 :nuyen:

+Quote Post
tjn
post Apr 18 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

You make a good point with blending in with one's surrondings, but if the game is in the basic setup of the seattle sprawl that t-shirt and jeans will look out of place most of the year.

http://www.beautifulseattle.com/ws02cli.htm has some resources as to what to expect weather wise.

It's driest time of year is last half of July, early August. The longest stretch of days where it's usually not raining is three to four weeks during this time.

The prevalance of long coats is a very good idea, this rain isn't exactly our rain. It's not something you're gonna wanna go singing in...

And it's usually stays overcast even when it's not raining.

Plus it's all about style. Especially with all the wanna-be runners.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Apr 18 2004, 08:11 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Hey, I'm wearing my trenchcoat right now! I'm freaking cold, and supposed to be writing a report for English class...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 18 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Voorhees)
Hey, I'm wearing my trenchcoat right now! I'm freaking cold, and supposed to be writing a report for English class...

Hey man, it's April! Cold? Huh?

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 18 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #15

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

The rain here is this perpetual mistlike drizzle that has the ability to get absolutely everywhere, and tends to ignore short coats. We don't carry umbrellas much, because they don't do any good. Long coats will do the trick better than windbreakers, that's for sure.

Besides which, there's lots of styles in long coats. Businessmen in khaki longcoats, as eveningwear, and so on. They're not all the tommygun trench.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Apr 18 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Long coats are just like pants. You can wear them everywhere most of the year and there's a style that fits any occasion.

[edit]

Oh, and they work well at hiding those awesome katanas!!!! :love: :love:

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Apr 18 2004, 09:07 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (toturi)

I live in Central California man. We're going through a freak cold snap right now.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Apr 18 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (toturi)

I live in Central California man. We're going through a freak cold snap right now.

Fresno here...

Dear lord man, enjoy it while we can, the longer we can put off the summer, the better.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 18 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #19

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Are you people insane? It hit 60 the other day and we ran out and rejoiced in the not-freeking-raining weather. I will be lucky if the mercury pegs 80 all summer. All two fraging months of it. *mutters*put off summer, take you out back and shoot you.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 18 2004, 09:51 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

if everyone wears longcoats, then do they really stick out?

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Apr 18 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Well, personally I almost always wear a long coat of some sort irl, or a frock coat or long suit jacket. And yes, I stick out.

That said, alot of subcultures dress in specific ways and many of them incorporate long coats of one kind or another. As someone else mentioned, it is rainy in Seattle, and with acid rain I would think there's been an increase in coats treated to resist chemicals (like the Greatcoat and the Ulysses, for instance, if you're wealthy). However, if you are indoors or if you happen to be in Miami during the summer, wearing a long coat will make people look twice at you...

+Quote Post
tjn
post Apr 18 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Yeah, insane. With six weeks of 100+ days, and rarely seeing a say from May til the end of September that's under 90, what sane person wouldn't want this?

Yeap sure is something to look forward to, and combined with the average of a half an inch of precipitation during these five months, sure makes it wonderful.

*mutters* welcoming summer, take you out back and shoot you.

Edit: It'd look a lot better if I didn't take my time and two people didn't post while I was writing :P

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Apr 18 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

When the weather's cold, windy and rainy, (quintessential Seattle weather, as I understand it) it won't stick out so much. If it's 40 celcius and humid, you will draw attention like flies to shit, if not from the cops, from every person you walk by. Not to mention from the corporate security you talk to.

Like snowRaven said, acid rain will play into this. More people, especially those wearing expensive suits and the like, will walk around in water proof coats. With umbrellas too. IMHO, if you're out and about in a C-or lower-rating area, a cheap water-proof poncho may help you fit in better than a 500 nuyen coat.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Apr 18 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I used to have a trench coat I wore everywhere, but in Atlanta it was more of a teen fashion statement than any real practical use.

Now I wear a barn coat if it gets cold -- not nearly as stylish, but so very warm.

And it does help present a better image than what I used to do. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 18 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Wear your lined coat over some tres chic clothing and it looks less like you're hiding something and more like you're professional and fashion-conscious. Plus, with some form-fitting AND the coat, you're relatively safe to recieve fire and return it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.