Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2050 Rigger Issues?
Bansidhe
post Oct 3 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,047

I have played Shadowrun in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions. However, I have never played very much Shadowrun in any of the editions. I know that classically Riggers and Deckers were often considered troublesome as player characters. I myself never had a problem with the Decker and thought that having one added a lot to the game.

So now I find that I am going to be running a Shadowrun game for 4E. I picked the 2050 book up because I like the wired world a whole lot more than the wireless world. Shadowrun to me is the future of the 1980s and not the future. The 2050 book fills the vision.

One of the 3 players is thinking about a rigger that will avoid putting their meat on the line and only use drones. Since I do not have advanced understanding of the rules at this point (since I haven't played SR4 in over a year and never played it much) I figured that I would go ahead and ask the boards if that is a viable thought or not for the player.

Thanks for opinions!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Oct 4 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

In 3rd edition yes at least and you cannot play safely all that much.

You can't send your drone Roleplay, can you? And it happens more often than one think to be catched in a fight unprepared.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Oct 4 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

It's entirely possible for the hacker or rigger to stay out of the combat zone in 4ed (except for the airgapped network cases); but I'm not sure on how well that's working with 4E2050.

+Quote Post
tete
post Oct 4 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

They had radio controls in early rigger books (at leased as early as rigger 2 if not before) im not sure what the rules are off the top of my head though.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Oct 5 2012, 02:55 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Some riggers have been hiding in their vans as long as there have been riggers. And the traditional problems with that end up being:
- Materializing Spirits in your van with you.
- Jamming (the enemy can do it too)
- If you get in trouble, there's no backup.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Oct 5 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Who watches the watchers?

Who backs up the backup?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 5 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Falconer @ Oct 4 2012, 11:30 PM) *
Who watches the watchers?
Magicians. Damned things can't be seen without astral sight.

Annoying buggers, Watchers.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Oct 5 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (tete @ Oct 4 2012, 02:31 PM) *
They had radio controls in early rigger books (at leased as early as rigger 2 if not before) im not sure what the rules are off the top of my head though.

They are almost nonexistent in the SR2 book. No ranges gives, just that you can remote control X vehicles/drones per rating or your RCD basically. Gives access to Control Pool, etc. Haven't checked to see if R2 adds the signals/jamming/ranges/etc.

+Quote Post
Link
post Oct 6 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

SR1 has basic remote operations and electronic warfare similar to SR2 and First edition's RBB expanded these. R2 introduced the MIJI rules and extended remote rules. There's a table in the RBB for remote ops signals that adds a penalty for urban environs so riggers early on were encouraged to rig their vehicle on the front line in 2050. That still could be a good distance, circumstances permitting.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.