Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HK XM-30 - How is it built?
Mantis
post Oct 4 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,538

I'm looking at this thing and trying to figure out how it is meant to be assembled. The baseline is an Assault Rifle with and Underbarrel Grenade Launcher. Then I can buy an Underbarrel Shotgun. No problem. This obviously replaces the grenade launcher. I can also buy a carbine. Does this replace the grenade launcher as well? OK. Weird but what ever.
Now for the head scratcher. Sniper Rifle and LMG additions. Are these supposed to be underbarrel? If so how does that work? Or do they replace the Assault Rifle like in the Steyr AUG? If not how does a scoped Sniper rifle fit under an assault rifle?
Or should I stop trying to apply logic to this gun and just wave my hands and go 'It's maaaagic."
I guess this thing is supposed to be based off the failed HK XM-8 project.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 4 2012, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

The Sniper, LMG, and Carbine kits all replace the Assault Rifle component.

Basically, pick one from List A, and one from List B:

LIST A
Assault Rifle
Carbine
Sniper Rifle
Light Machinegun

LIST B
Underbarrel Grenade Rifle
Underbarrel Shotgun

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Oct 4 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

it also sounds like they are all interchangeable with a few actions so you could have all of them & swap the peices for what you need as you go.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Oct 4 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Kind of like THIS.

Basically the XM30 has a bunch of adjustable parts - its not just underbarrel stuff, you actually rebuild the gun on the fly.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Oct 4 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #5

Running Target

So basically a Steyr AUG with an option to mount an underbarrel shotgun or grenade launcher. Wish they had made that a bit clearer in the description or from the picture. Repeated readings left me unsure whether the options were all meant to be underbarrel (illogical) or if it was supposed to all be modular. Thanks for clearing that up.

+Quote Post
EKBT81
post Oct 4 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,124

QUOTE (Mantis @ Oct 4 2012, 10:13 AM) *
So basically a Steyr AUG with an option to mount an underbarrel shotgun or grenade launcher. Wish they had made that a bit clearer in the description or from the picture.

Depends on which picture we're talking about. The picture in the SR4A core book isn't any good (like most of the gun pictures there IMHO). The "pre-anniversary" SR4 book had a picture that actually showed several configurations. And It looked pretty much like the XM8, too, except for having the magwell in the shoulder stock. So you're right in that regard. That picture isn't ideal, either. The LMG configuration is drawn with an ammo belt going vertically into the magwell, which strikes me as rather odd in general and especially weird in a bullpup weapon.

Going from that picture, you apparently don't need to have an underbarrel weapon mounted. The sniper rifle and LMG configurations seem to have only a bipod instead.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 4 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I would have thought that you're not even allowed to have the UB stuff with the sniper rifle or LMG. You have exactly 5 options:

AR + GL
AR + Shotgun
Carbine
Sniper
LMG

These are not the only logically possible options (esp. 'carbine' underbarrel stuff), but they're the only ones listed. You don't get the whole set of parts combinations (including the imaging scope, the bipod, etc.)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 4 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 4 2012, 08:01 AM) *
I would have thought that you're not even allowed to have the UB stuff with the sniper rifle or LMG. You have exactly 5 options:

AR + GL
AR + Shotgun
Carbine
Sniper
LMG

These are not the only logically possible options (esp. 'carbine' underbarrel stuff), but they're the only ones listed. You don't get the whole set of parts combinations (including the imaging scope, the bipod, etc.)

Yep, this is how I interpreted it as well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Oct 4 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Oct 4 2012, 06:38 AM) *
Depends on which picture we're talking about. The picture in the SR4A core book isn't any good (like most of the gun pictures there IMHO). The "pre-anniversary" SR4 book had a picture that actually showed several configurations. And It looked pretty much like the XM8, too, except for having the magwell in the shoulder stock. So you're right in that regard. That picture isn't ideal, either. The LMG configuration is drawn with an ammo belt going vertically into the magwell, which strikes me as rather odd in general and especially weird in a bullpup weapon.

Going from that picture, you apparently don't need to have an underbarrel weapon mounted. The sniper rifle and LMG configurations seem to have only a bipod instead.

EXBT81, I was referring to the picture in SR4A. I don't have the SR4 book.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein, Yerameyahu, that is yet another interpretation of what they have written. It makes as much sense as anything else, especially with regards to using bipods and underbarrel weapons at the same time. I guess if there is a better picture in the SR4 book, perhaps the writers figured they didn't need to explain how the parts fit together. Of course that picture didn't make it into the SR4A book.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 4 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It depends on your perspective, of course. Rules-wise, the pictures are always wrong, and have no meaning; what it actually says is form A, B, C, D, or E. Fluff-wise, I see no particular reason that you're not buying something that can be (AR, Carbine, Rifle, or LMG) + (UBGL, UBSG, Bipod, and/or Scope)… and mix-n-match within the limits of reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It *is* possible, I assume, for the manufacturer to actually build the gun so that you literally can't mix and match like that, but it seems silly.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 4 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

It's built out of gunmetal, high-impact futuristic plastics, and a few other composite materials.

+Quote Post
EKBT81
post Oct 4 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,124

QUOTE (Mantis @ Oct 4 2012, 07:01 PM) *
EXBT81, I was referring to the picture in SR4A. I don't have the SR4 book.

Here's the pic on the artist's deviantArt account:

+ HK xM30 Weapons Platform + by ~Br0uHaHa

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Oct 4 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

That is just... confusing.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Oct 4 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Oct 4 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Here's the pic on the artist's deviantArt account:

+ HK xM30 Weapons Platform + by ~Br0uHaHa

Thanks for the pic. Yeah that looks a lot like the xm-8 project. And yeah, belt feeding into a bulpup like that looks weird to say the least. How would you feed that when inserting a new belt? So sort of pseudo magazine attachment that isn't shown? A pointy stick maybe?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 4 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Hold it upside down?

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Oct 5 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #16

Running Target

What? Gangsta style? All one handed and sideways? Cuz that will work. Yup, for sure.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 5 2012, 01:02 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Hold it upside down, dangle the belt in, work the action (Hope it catches the first round), ensure a good load, turn rightside up, rock'n'roll Chummer!

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Oct 5 2012, 05:09 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (Mantis @ Oct 5 2012, 06:52 AM) *
Thanks for the pic. Yeah that looks a lot like the xm-8 project. And yeah, belt feeding into a bulpup like that looks weird to say the least. How would you feed that when inserting a new belt? So sort of pseudo magazine attachment that isn't shown? A pointy stick maybe?

Perhaps there is a "clip-tip" that connects to the end of the belt and then locks into the clip attachment on the weapon. Of course that's not pictured as it is currently secured inside the weapon.

Just another option.

-D

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Oct 5 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 4 2012, 01:40 PM) *
It's built out of gunmetal, high-impact futuristic plastics, and a few other composite materials.

Don't forget the unicorn magic and ghoul blood.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 5 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Oct 5 2012, 07:50 AM) *
Don't forget the unicorn magic and ghoul blood.
Oh, every firearm in Shadowrun has THOSE in them. Not to mention the soul of an orphaned child if you get something from Aztechnology or one of their weapon subsidiaries.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Oct 5 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 5 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Oh, every firearm in Shadowrun has THOSE in them. Not to mention the soul of an orphaned child if you get something from Aztechnology or one of their weapon subsidiaries.

I believe that Mitsuhama uses the dying breath of a technomancer for extra oomph.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Oct 5 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Suddenly I don't want to use a gun in SR. Maybe a wooden club I found in the forest. Makes sense why magicians want virgin telesma for their foci.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 6 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Mantis @ Oct 5 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Suddenly I don't want to use a gun in SR. Maybe a wooden club I found in the forest. Makes sense why magicians want virgin telesma for their foci.
Watch out for the trees that try to eat you!

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Oct 9 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 6 2012, 12:28 PM) *
Watch out for the trees that try to eat you!

Especially the virgin trees. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Oct 10 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (DMiller @ Oct 9 2012, 04:34 AM) *
Especially the virgin trees. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You mean Dryads?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.