Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 19 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Yeah, I read that a few days ago. Seems like the first step towards a datajack, what with it being used to move a pointer on a computer screen. Can't wait to have a datajack.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Apr 19 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 100

Actually, it points towards Cyberlimbs. The chip will watch what happens to the brain when limbs are moved so that people who are paralized can later have mechanical limbs installed and a chip to watch the brain and controll the limbs.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 19 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

I always wondered why it wasn't easier to do that already. It's gotta be fairly easy to map out which nerves are responsible for which actions, then create a chip that reads those nerve impules and have the robotic limb move in response. My wife is always quoting which nerves are responsible for which actions, so I've always been baffled by that.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 19 2004, 06:51 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I mean, how complicated could a human brain be? :silly:

+Quote Post
Siege
post Apr 19 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I mean, how complicated could a human brain be? :silly:

Depends on who's brain we're referring to, I suppose.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 19 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Grey)
Actually, it points towards Cyberlimbs. The chip will watch what happens to the brain when limbs are moved so that people who are paralized can later have mechanical limbs installed and a chip to watch the brain and controll the limbs.

Both, really. The article I read had more of a focus towards letting paraplegics use a computer to enhance their quality of life, and as this one also does, it talks about building an interface between machine and man.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Apr 19 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Kevin Warwick actually has had a sort of datajack/vcr/rc for a few years now — he has an implanted circuit board that reads his nerve signals, and he has accomplished using it to move an electric wheelchair by pure thought, among other things. So the technology exists and works, it's just a question of testing, fine-tuning, de-bugging, approving, improving, cost-reduce, mass-market, and presto — Cyborgs everywhere! :cyber: (I'd provide a link, but I'm too lazy to use the search engine...)

From what I've read, his wife (is going to get/has gotten) a similar chip to allow for mutual transfer of electrical impulses, so that they can, in essence 'feel' each other's emotions. This would mean we also have the basis for simsense.

Problems are that each person has a different nervous system, and the signals differ somewhat. Just compare two peoples response to same phenomena, like drilling in a tooth, taking a shot, having their earlobe sucked... Much more understanding is required before science can provide safe, efficient, affordable and even workable implants of this type.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 19 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

When they start cranking out foci and doing Adept-oriented research, you'll all see me doing the gold-digger dance through the streets.

mmmmmmmm... adept powerrrrrrrs....

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Apr 20 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

Just not for me, do'h.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.