Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How obvious is an obvious cyberarm?
Raiden
post Oct 21 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,120

I know I know, but WHAT does it look like, would it be twice the size of his other arm? is it the same size and shape but just has areas where you can tell it was put together? is it chrome colored or does it have the natural skin tint to it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vilda
post Oct 21 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 25,463

I'd say anything you want it to be while still being "obvious cyber".
Think mechanical claw - terminator style, partially covered limb with wires visible... Look at illustrations in books for ideas.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Oct 21 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Same proportions, but obviously artificial. Metal and/or plastic housing, like that. May or may not be tinted to match the owner's skin tone, but still obviously artificial.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Oct 21 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 21 2012, 05:16 PM) *
I know I know, but WHAT does it look like, would it be twice the size of his other arm? is it the same size and shape but just has areas where you can tell it was put together? is it chrome colored or does it have the natural skin tint to it?

Cyberarm

Obvious cyberarm is obvious.

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Oct 21 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,576

http://skinz-n-hydez.deviantart.com/art/St...ished-150410937
http://www.bruteforceleather.com/store/scr...p?idproduct=200

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Oct 21 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

An obvious cyberlimb is obviously artificial, other then that it's pretty much up to you.
Carbonfiber sleek deus ex look? sure
Chromed Jax biceps? sure thing
Skeletal terminator arms? No problem.
Modern plastic prostethic? works too
Synthetic limbs are supposed to be hard to tell from the real thing, kinda like Lukes arm in return of the jedi.

As for size it's probably the same size as your other limb unless you beef it up with bulk modifications or have it disproportionately statted to your natural arm.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 21 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I think that with cyberlimb casemods/customization and higher grades of cyber that it might not be so cut and dry. It states in Augmentation pg 33 under "Cosmetic Cyberware" :

refers to the further customization of cyberware implants by altering their off-the-shelf shape, color, surface texture, location, and sometimes even minor functions of these implants...

I'm thinking if you have the color match your skin tone, change the surface texture to have the same level of give that a normal limb has, and make it generate enough heat to mimic your regular limb, that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Sure some slot uses Radar on your limb and it's going to be obvious, but just looking at it... not so much.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Oct 21 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Oct 21 2012, 05:23 PM) *
I think that with cyberlimb casemods/customization and higher grades of cyber that it might not be so cut and dry. It states in Augmentation pg 33 under "Cosmetic Cyberware" :

I'm thinking if you have the color match your skin tone, change the surface texture to have the same level of give that a normal limb has, and make it generate enough heat to mimic your regular limb, that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Sure some slot uses Radar on your limb and it's going to be obvious, but just looking at it... not so much.

Um, Casemod alterations won't turn a Obvious arm into a synthetic arm. If you want to hide your arm, I'd suggest long baggy sleeves and bulky gloves.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 21 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lantzer @ Oct 21 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Um, Casemod alterations won't turn a Obvious arm into a synthetic arm. If you want to hide your arm, I'd suggest long baggy sleeves and bulky gloves.

I guess you believe an obvious cyberarm looks like a robotic arm then?
/

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Oct 21 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #10

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Doesn't have to look "robotic", but definitely artificial or non-organic.

The whole POINT of having the rules divide there is that obvious cyberarms are obviously cyberarms. If it's looking like a human arm, if you can pass it off as not cyber, it's synthetic, not obvious.

-k

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Oct 21 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Oct 21 2012, 07:23 PM) *

Well, color of the arm matching the owner's skin tone, that doesn't seem so difficult. Changing the skin texture and emulating bodily heat is a lot less easy, though, I'd say.
Faking surface texture, body heat, possibly bodily hair and anatomical correctness (see some anatomical parts like muscles moving while moving said arm) - all that seems pretty much everything that makes synthetic arms seem so realistic.

Especially the joints might be pretty difficult to conceal, as they probably look mechanical and not so lively on the outside.

Long sleeves and gloves might do the trick, though. As long as you cyberlimb is not pitch black. Heck, pale white might do if your skin tone somehow remotely matches that.
Plus, cyberlimbs are not illegal. People may give you a strange look, but that's mostly all.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 21 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I think that the rules for synthetic cyberlimbs kinda got blown out of the water when Catalyst wrote Augmentation. Tell me how my reading of the rules in Augmentation would NOT allow you to blur the lines between synthetic and obvious cyberlimbs? The only real difference is the price. Synthetic limbs get it built in. Obvious limbs you need to spend thousands more. It does say that you can spend up to 10,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) and increase the availability by up to 12... that is pretty telling to me.

Let's face it... if a Runner wanted to spend 10,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (for a standard grade cyberlimb), he can pretty much have a "obvious" cyberlimb as lifelike as a Terminator.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 21 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

i mainly asked this because I was wanting to make a trigun char..... lol

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 21 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

Go HERE. and look at the first image. Also, look HERE.

See the girl's left arm?

Obvious cyberlimb.

^_^

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Oct 22 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

See sig.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Oct 22 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #16

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Here's the thing:

1 Alpha:Cyberware is bad!

If your character is using it you didn't win the genetic lottery and get magical wonder powers so now you have ware. If ware is effective like cyberlimbs are it must have hideous drawbacks and make you an obviously inhuman monster. Nevermind that there are supposedly drones out there who can pass as human. For some reason if you have a cyberlimb unless it is the specifically inferior synthetic version it must look like an inhuman monster. Even if it is synthetic it still won't pass the touch test, because evidently while trying to make a limb that looked and felt right they didn't bother to introduce a 90 cent heating element to bring it up to 98.6 or something. Which makes me wonder about the Mr. Stud implant, but maybe they don't bother with making that feel real.

If you have any other questions I refer you to point 1 Alpha. Your not playing a mage or adept. You did bad and you should feel bad.

Now that my tangential rant is over i'll get back to the meat of your question. Honestly even an obvious limb shouldn't be all that obvious depending on what your wearing. Long sleeved shirt, something in the paint job that's not bright chrome (unless you want to look like that). And your probably ok until someone gets a good look at you. In winter in climates that actually get cold no one would probably have a clue if you kept your jackets and gloves on. But if you have any question about what the designers probably intended, based on everything else I need to refer you back to 1 Alpha.

+Quote Post
Krishach
post Oct 22 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,972

to me, an obvious cyberlimb is one that could never be mistaken for a real limb when it's visible. There is nothing stating that the dimensions vary to a great degree. Kinetics almost demands that it be within some sort of balancing system, or it would affect everything down to gait. Without information to the contrary, I believe it would still fit into normal clothes. However, it's surface, including silhouette, would never be mistaken for organic.

There is no direct information showing or stating that this limb cannot be covered, left inside a coat, etc. However, when visible, it could never be mistaken for an original limb. And most people involved in a shadowrunners world do not look kindly on hidden hands because of issues with weapons.

I would personally rule that tight clothing (like most gloves are) could betray the limb as artificial.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 22 2012, 08:02 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Krishach @ Oct 22 2012, 08:42 AM) *
to me, an obvious cyberlimb is one that could never be mistaken for a real limb when it's visible.

Yea, as long as the limb is covered with 'normal' clothing I'd say it is not obvious. Under regular clothes, a coat and gloves then I'd say that the only way you'd notice is either prolonged observation of the limbs behavior as we meat people have ticks and involuntary movements and twitches to our natural limbs. Also, a hearing test as it moves could perhaps detect the slight sound of servos or myomer muscle bundles moving.

Wearing tight fitting second skin line armor or a wetsuit then the limb would be rather obvious as it would lack natural muscles and look...weird.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 23 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

can a cyber arm feel??

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Oct 23 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 06:21 PM) *
can a cyber arm feel??

Of course. Temperature sensors, pressure sensors, etc. How close the sensory qualia are to biological norms is up to you (and possibly your GM), but cyberlimbs can feel well enough to present no handicap.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.