Reply to this topicStart new topic
> For an orignal char conept, I am thinking about adding cyberarms
Raiden
post Oct 22 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,120

never used cyberlimbs before, as they seemed bad, and complicated, but now the char concept I have may have one, what are the pros and cons of synthetic vs obvious?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Oct 22 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

Obvious have more enhancement slots, but they're obvious, duh. Synthetic ones are harder to spot, but you can't pack as much into them. Not sure what's the essence cost on both.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Oct 22 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

Same essence cost for both IIRC

+Quote Post
Makki
post Oct 22 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

Synthethic sucks. There's no advantage vs cyberware scanners, only against visual observation. But long sleeves and gloves will do the same.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Oct 22 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

First you look at P. 44 of augmentation: customized cyberlimbs.
This is the first step towards making cyberlimbs up to snuff with bio. Essentially allowing you to have cyberlimbs with "your natural racial maximum" as in you can have a str 6 cyberarm even if your natural str is 3, this does not count as cyberlimb enhancements and takes no capacity. Which means plenty of space for enhancement and other gizmos... Other gizmos! modular cyberlimbs are awesome, you can't bio that stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

and oh obvious is better in every way except in a party full of chrome haters

+Quote Post
Xenefungus
post Oct 22 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,032

Obvious is indeed better.

Due to availability, you can only get up to 8 points of customization though (restricted gear is not worth it hear imho). But that is plenty.

For my character "gauntlet" (wimpy human with natural strength and agility 1 but a HUGE cyberarm) i went with customize Strength+3, Agility+3, Body+2 and added in (as mods) enhanced Strength+3, enhanced Agi+3, cyberarm gyro, spur and a scanner.

Totals to Strength 9, Agility 9, Body 5 (I'm not fond of calculating averages, so Body 5 for a Body 5 character just makes things easy). So you have really awesome stats for gunning and slashing around - at a VERY cheap cost. And you also save quite a few points by not spending anything on those two attributes.
There are two drawbacks though: The first one is you are restricted to one-handed weapons (else you would need to take the average; you could of course get two arms like that also but i kind of liked it asymmetrical for this char, having one very weak and one very powerful arm, flavor reasons...). The other one is the lack of stealth (especially infiltration).

I personally said "screw it" and went without infiltration at all (one of very few characters i built without it; but lets face it, not ALL runners need to be sneak-asses) and also took the (imho) very, very cool (role-playing wise) drawback "Mysterious Mod Noise" to further stress the total lack of stealth this character has - in fact, with every move of the arm there is a piping sound and a big swirl of steam flows out of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The big advantage of having a cyberarm is that it leaves so many points free for other things than combat (Basically, just add in Wired Reflexes 2 + Enhanced Reflexes 2 for a total Reaction of 5(9) and you are good to go.) Then, with the rest of your points, you can easily become a great face, techie (very plausible imho) or anything else you like. Even Magic users are totally possible (without the other ware then) because the arm itself is only 1 Essence!

+Quote Post
Tias
post Oct 22 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,824

QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 22 2012, 03:26 PM) *
Synthethic sucks. There's no advantage vs cyberware scanners, only against visual observation. But long sleeves and gloves will do the same.

Both core and Augmentation are pretty clear about the fact that being -visibly- chromed will attract much more attention from security personnel and condemnation from certain societal groups.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 22 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Bribe/blackmail your GM into lessening the penalty for overclocking your cyberlimbs and you are good to go, no matter what you do, generally . .
Then remember the Pain-Cut-Off and have fun.

And even without these, in SR4, Cyber-Limbs, for the first time, border on being usefull.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 22 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

the char is a hacker, son of a CEO from Renraku, the CEO was cooped, his father killed, and he was injured, lost his right arm. a loyal friend of his fathers, (who, on his fathers wish, turned his dead body, which his friend shot after he requested this) took the boy (at this time about 16 or 17) away to safe haven, got him a cyber arm, and whatnot. (born rich quality was a bonus to this >:3). that man is now "Hax" best contact. the corp figures he is either dead, or not a threat. 3-4 years later, he is working the shadows to earn some money and rep, with the hope to one day repay the favor to the people that caused his fathers death. (is this a weird backstory?)

EDIT: he is a combat hacker. SMGs spec. also has a younger sister to look after

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 22 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

Oh, for that one, at least ONE Drone-Arm would be a-pro-pro i'd think . .
And the overclocking would be too . . .

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Oct 22 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Not that good a friend! He could have ordered you a nice pricey clone arm, cheap bugger.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Oct 22 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 22 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Oh, for that one, at least ONE Drone-Arm would be a-pro-pro i'd think . .
And the overclocking would be too . . .

Are you talking about the red lining option?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 22 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Yes, Red-Lining . . over-clocking . . same difference <.<;,

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 22 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Oct 22 2012, 10:29 AM) *
First you look at P. 44 of augmentation: customized cyberlimbs.
This is the first step towards making cyberlimbs up to snuff with bio. Essentially allowing you to have cyberlimbs with "your natural racial maximum" as in you can have a str 6 cyberarm even if your natural str is 3, this does not count as cyberlimb enhancements and takes no capacity. Which means plenty of space for enhancement and other gizmos... Other gizmos! modular cyberlimbs are awesome, you can't bio that stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

and oh obvious is better in every way except in a party full of chrome haters

Look at pg 33 of Augmentation. You can get cosmetic cyberware to look and feel like your flesh. Heck you can even get a small heater to make it as warm as your regular flesh. The only thing it costs is money. You don't even have to lose capacity.

As I said in the "How obvious is an obvious cyberarm?" thread: When Catalyst came out with Augmentation, they made synthetic cyberlimbs worthless.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 23 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Oct 22 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Look at pg 33 of Augmentation. You can get cosmetic cyberware to look and feel like your flesh. Heck you can even get a small heater to make it as warm as your regular flesh. The only thing it costs is money. You don't even have to lose capacity.

As I said in the "How obvious is an obvious cyberarm?" thread: When Catalyst came out with Augmentation, they made synthetic cyberlimbs worthless.

And yet, even with all that effort and money, an Obviuous Cyberlimb is still obvious. *shrug*

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 23 2012, 02:48 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 22 2012, 07:44 PM) *
And yet, even with all that effort and money, an Obviuous Cyberlimb is still obvious. *shrug*

I would have to say that it's up to the GM, but RAW makes it possible to do exactly what I'm saying is possible... the only limitation is cost.

+Quote Post
Midas
post Oct 23 2012, 06:08 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 30,406

I would humbly suggest to keeping the "How obvious is an obvious cyberarm?" comments to the thread in question.

As to the OP's concept, seems reasonable to me. As mentioned you can pack lots of goodies in the capacity of a cyberarm, and as you say get away with lower STR and AGI attributes while still being able to slice and shoot pretty well to boot. A few more possibilities:
1) Biomoniter/Autoinjector combination
2) Internal air tank and small smuggling compartment containing gas grenades for emergencies
3) An internal commlink (esp for a hacker) enables you to smuggle your main commlink with all its illegal programmes anywhere

One word of caution about the cyberarm STR and AGI - as far as I am aware the RAW is not clear on whether the torso (your base STR and AGI) is considered to be used as well as the limb for one-handed gun or weapon use, so best to double-check with your GM what he thinks before chroming up. Gun nuts will tell you that you square and set your body before you fire (especially for guns with heavy recoil), and I can definitely see the case for using your body at the very least in close combat (fencers will tell you how important your stance and use of off-hand as a counterbalance is, for example).

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 23 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

from exp, shooting many weapons, I can say from a IRL perspective that shooting a pistol or SMG 1 handed really only uses your arm. the fact about squarein up is really used to keep you stable, (IE no swaying) and for the bigger guns help you hold it steady and take teh recoil. here a modifier of -1 COULD be applicable since, even one handed guns are design with the thought that you would be using both hands to steady it.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Oct 23 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 23 2012, 11:06 AM) *
from exp, shooting many weapons, I can say from a IRL perspective that shooting a pistol or SMG 1 handed really only uses your arm. the fact about squarein up is really used to keep you stable, (IE no swaying) and for the bigger guns help you hold it steady and take teh recoil. here a modifier of -1 COULD be applicable since, even one handed guns are design with the thought that you would be using both hands to steady it.

Perhaps the cyberarm is programmed to interact with a smartlink to counteract any swaying.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Oct 23 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

I think that's what cyberlimb gyromounts are for.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 23 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 23 2012, 03:06 PM) *
I think that's what cyberlimb gyromounts are for.

yes that is possible, ok so I have a pretty pimped out cyberarm with an integrated SMG and gyro mount. think this will be good? and enhanced agi total of 9, str 6 and bod 5 to match my nat, base. and a scanner system.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 23 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

no, don't put the SMG INTO the Arm . . that's . . unwise at best . .

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 23 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

how come? o.o

edit: forgive me, never used cyberlimbs

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Oct 23 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Because it usually doesn't matter how good your fake SIN is when the stars find it.
That and there's less costly ways in form of capacity

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 23 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Oct 23 2012, 03:36 PM) *
Because it usually doesn't matter how good your fake SIN is when the stars find it.
That and there's less costly ways in form of capacity

well its only restricted.. whos to say my fake SIN that I got from a corp is not licensed for it :}

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.