> Average Joe Campaign, Need Advice on my Idea
The Wrestling Tr...
post Oct 24 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,548

Hi everyone

I'm trying myself in GM'ing soon and wanted to do a Campaign where my Players are all Average Joe from everyday life who slide into the world of shadowrunning as total noobs.

My thoughts were:
- Karmagen
- 500 Karma
- 200 karma (+/- 10) on Attributes
- Availability 8
- 1 Karma = 2500 Nuyen
- No Charisma x2 in free contacts
- Knowledge Skills cost Karma

QUALITIES
Every Char starts as a SINner with a Rank 6 standard citizen SIN and a Rank 4 Corporate SIN

GEAR
- no Restricted Gear Quality
- Restricted Gear only with a legit Licence from the government
- Forbidden items are ... well forbidden at start
- Free 3 month DocWagon Contract sponsored by their Corporation (Start bonus in case something goes wrong at the beginning)

SKILLS
- Best Skills shouldn't be higher than 3-4. Average Skills between 1-3. (Remember, they are total noobs)

CYBERWARE
- Cyberware is allowed but shouldn't be combat oriented, since the players don't expect "big trouble" but need those implants for their job at the company or in their private life

MAGIC
- Max Magic Attribute of 3
- No lethal Comatsspells at chargen
- Foci are handled like gear, max availability of 8

MATRIX
- Matrix Software are handled like gear, max availability of 8

BACKGROUND
- You start as a normal average everyday Joe. All Players work for the same company that is specialized in Virtualpets and -personas.
- The skills should somehow reflect the current position in the company. Jobs can be made up as long as they fit the corporation and the playstyle of this campaign.
- The Players shouldn't have been in Prison or something other illegal activities in their life.
- No "special forces" or something similar as character background, players should really be normal people that have no clue of the shadows.

Missions would give a rather "high" Karma reward so that my runners would be equal to standard Chars in about 5-10 Missions so that I could to a bigger Campaign with them. But first they have to earn their shadow reputation to get such a big job.

Has anyone tried something like that and can give me some advice or ideas to balance it? I would greatly appreciate some advice ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 24 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 948

I would limit magic rating at 3 to avoid overly powerful mages and adepts.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Oct 24 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 24 2012, 05:56 AM) *
I would limit magic rating at 3 to avoid overly powerful mages and adepts.

Start with Magic 3, Summon Force 6 spirit for combat, Force 6 spirit steamrolls opposition designed for everyman group.

this game breaks at lower than 300-350BPs.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 24 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #4

Runner

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Oct 24 2012, 12:00 PM) *
Start with Magic 3, Summon Force 6 spirit for combat, Force 6 spirit steamrolls opposition designed for everyman group.

Go with SR3

Spells must be BOUGHT at the maximum force.

Go with opposed rolls for spirits if their magic is TWICE of the caster or when over-summoning.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,120

or simply up the opposition... have the spirits use edge. >;3. or, put some mages into the opposition, banish the spirits.

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Oct 24 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 19,241

Average Joe's aren't awakened. If you're awakened, you're already not average. Limit magical ability to latent, or none at all.

That'll balance things out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

or, go for what i have seen alot of people doing, take magic completely out of the game :/

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Oct 24 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #8

Running Target

I think the setting loses a lot of it's uniqueness with the magic removed, but you can certainly run a campaign that doesn't emphasise it. It can be more of a background thing and not something this particular set of characters experience every day.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 24 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 24 2012, 02:22 PM) *
or, go for what i have seen alot of people doing, take magic completely out of the game :/

Nah, a magic rating of 1 is what most of joe public has at best if we look at the percentage of magically active people as compared to POWERFUL magic people.

Magic 1 is pretty powerful in it's own right for a magician.

Useful F1 Spells
-Levitate
-Analyze Magic
-Borrow Sense / Animal Sense / Eyes of the pack
-Mindnet (limited to FX2 at best)
-Thermographic Vision
-Night Vision
-Fashion
-Orgasm
-Orgy
-Gecko Crawl
-Makeover
-Increase Reflexes 1 [Overcasting Required]
-Ignite [Limited to easily affected materials]
-Magic Fingers [Better than nothing]

Combat spells might be more limited but a F1-2 elemental spell might do the trick with a few successes.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

maybe a magic of 2, if they focused more on gettin better at it, or have had more exp using it.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 24 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Raiden @ Oct 24 2012, 02:59 PM) *
maybe a magic of 2, if they focused more on gettin better at it, or have had more exp using it.

Yea, magic 1 for the average one and the 'high-end' magicians at 2.

Could get a good spirit at F4 with overcasting.

+Quote Post
thorya
post Oct 24 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 39,030

I did a similar thing and it worked pretty well. Everyone was a SINner to start out with. Magic can be overpowered at that end.

-It was a 300 BP game, but everyone picked an NPC stat block that matched with their character concept and then rounded the character out to 300 BP. Most of the NPC's were around 200-250 BP, so that's about 100-50 BP of customization. The only one that's a real problem is the Janitor (it's around 160 BP if I remember), since a min-maxer will have way more points than everyone else. The streetdoc and Talismonger are both much more powerful than the standard NPC, so were thrown out. The only other NPC that has magic is the Parasecurity expert (I only pulled from Contacts and Adventurers and SR4A) and it's hardly overpowered since it has no customization. Knowledge skills can be swapped to be more appropriate to the actual career that the player chose.
-Any other character can buy the magician quality and up their magic. One player did, but with only 60 BP for the Magician quality, raising magic and getting the magic skills, it keeps things pretty reasonable.
-Some active skill swapping was allowed, but only if it made sense, because not all possible jobs matched with NPC stat blocks exactly.
-All awakened characters start the game with the cursed quality level 1, because they have not fully learned to control their magic. (this helps to keep magic from being too game breaking)
-Restricted to 50,000 nuyen worth of gear to start with and similar legal requirements.
-Legal requirements included spells known. (So no combat spells and a license for any other spell)
-Everyone must have at least two contacts.
-No one was allowed to have a combat skill higher than 2, unless their career required it.
-Everyone had the day job quality and SINner quality (5 BP each if you wanted to start without them)

The group was onboard with this to start with, so there wasn't anyone that abused it too bad. At this level of play, Tasers are the most powerful weapon that the group will probably have (and they are powerful).

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 24 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #13

Runner

You might want to keep an eye on changelings since someone with Astral Hazing would keep the group literally safe from most supernatural threats if they have high essence.

Not to mentioning nullify any magically active person in your team.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

based on the OPs outline I will attempt to make a power char, possible min/max points :3. just to see how bad something can be done.

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Oct 24 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Generally I don't think it's necessary to limit characters strictly. If the players all know the type of game it is and the GM has a veto rule then all should be good. If someone does try to abuse the system just a simple 'haha, no, try again' would suffice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Oct 24 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Oct 24 2012, 01:00 PM) *

Edge will sort that out. Force 6 spirit adding 6 Edge pre-roll to resist the summoning will give 10DV physical on average, whilst with the skill and attribute caps the summoner will rarely gain a service - assuming a Summoning DP of 8 the summoner will fail more than 80% of his attempts on average.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

[ Spoiler ]

I hope I did the spoiler thingy right O.o anyway that's the main part of the char. lol.

+Quote Post
The Wrestling Tr...
post Oct 24 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Nice try with the Streetcop. Really forgot about the cyberarm "cheese" hehe
But you made a mistake with your cyberarm:
Obvious Full arm = Availability 4
Customized Agility 6 = +3 Availability
Customized Strenght 4 = +1 Availability
Customized Body 5 = +2 Availability
= 10 Availability but the game MAX is 8.

but I also see that you don't have any contacts (they aren't free) and you haven't got knowledge skills since they cost karma in karmagen.

and since you also used restricted gear (gun and shotgun), be aware that you have a official licence for them and they can easily be tracked back to you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

when i'm bqck home and have a computer in front of me instead of my mobile phone I will analyse all the advise you people gave me

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

i had about 30 karma left over, I didn't feel like doing the contacts and probably would have to drop a tad bit for a few more points for knowledge like leadership but (he would'nt have that many (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ) but precautions can be taken to get out of the licensed weapons hole, specially with a good gunsmith contact. that's also a reason I gave him gel rounds :3 I probably could have done worse things in min/maxing but meh. I did not feel like putting A LOT of effort into it XD and of course when firing the shotgun I would use the avg. of the cyberarm and my nat agi. so only a 6 lol

EDIT: besides, all guns are restricted sooo.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (The Wrestling Troll @ Oct 24 2012, 11:18 AM) *
Nice try with the Streetcop. Really forgot about the cyberarm "cheese" hehe
But you made a mistake with your cyberarm:
Obvious Full arm = Availability 4
Customized Agility 6 = +3 Availability
Customized Strenght 4 = +1 Availability
Customized Body 5 = +2 Availability
= 10 Availability but the game MAX is 8.

There is no customized body, I THINK (still new to cyberlimbs) it started at base 3? and so added ENHANCEMENT 2, which increased capacity not availability.

+Quote Post
The Wrestling Tr...
post Oct 24 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

i've rewrote some of the rules I want to implement. do you guys think i've covered enough?
i want to be fair with my rules but still restrict enough so that my player won't min max too much
i also have always the last word if a char gets accepted or not

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

so my guy is now the head security guard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) lol. I hope they do not piss off some gangers O.o. but I am guessing my char would not get accepted XD lol.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Oct 24 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

but I do like the idea. just want to know how and why they get thrust into the shadows

+Quote Post
The Wrestling Tr...
post Oct 24 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Well ... I need to write you a PM about that, since my players casualy read dumpshock too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Oct 24 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I did something similar in 2nd ed, but I just used contacts out of the books.
I put 10 contacts from the books on character sheets, told my 5 players that these were the guys on the Renraku shuttle that's leaving the Arc right now, and they should pick which one they wanted. We had a dwarf technician, a mr johnson, a security guard, a corp secretary (I made her a phys-ad to make some one want her) and a wiz-kid mage. Then, the shuttle got shot down, and the PC's were the only ones to survive the crash and the followup strafing by the attack chopper. "Hey, your corp wants you dead, you're 20 miles outside of Seattle and ony 2 of you have guns. Welcome to the shadows".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.