IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flamethrowers on Vehicles, how many shots per CF?
Kagetenshi
post Apr 20 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #1

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I'm making an antipersonnel drone mounting a flamethrower and have hit the rather perplexing question of about how many shots one would get out of a given CF (.125 cubic meter) of Special Storage Area. Any answers? I tried the "talk to the GM" thing, but he had no idea as to what a sensible ruling might be.

~J
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 20 2004, 02:19 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

if your GM has no idea, then tell him you did some research and discovered that 1 CF can hold 500 'rounds' for a flamethrower.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 02:23 AM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

http://science.howstuffworks.com/flamethrower3.htm

1 shot = 10 liters
125 liters = .125 cubic meters
12 shots per CF

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 02:30 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

It may be more efficient to use fuel tank capacity (as it includes load, IIRC) for the design using 1 shot = 10 liters. If you make the vehicle gas powered you can combine the tanks.

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 20 2004, 02:43 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,197

The gas you use to drive the internal combustion engine might not be the same kind you want to use in a flamethrower weapon. Different burn properties and all that.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 20 2004, 03:32 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

flamethrowers usually use fuel thickeners--not good for engines. as far as i can tell, they usually use either gasoline or diesel.

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 20 2004, 03:34 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Try napalm. Remember, it sticks to kids!

+Quote Post
Gotti
post Apr 20 2004, 03:39 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,255

Little bastards should be in school.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 20 2004, 03:55 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

I'll post the thing when I get it finished as a thank-you.

~J

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 20 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Make sure to use seperate tanks for engine fuel and flamethrower fuel if you're going that way, Kage.

If you're keeping a normal powerplant, then I think someone already crunched the math for the number of shots you have.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

I don't think you need to seperate them, CardboardArmor. Maybe add an oil or plastic tank as oil was around 5-10% of the mixture, but gasoline or diesel is a fine - if expinsive - base product.

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 20 2004, 04:05 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

I'm no chemist, so I can't verify this, but I'm pretty sure that if you did that and fed both the weapon and the combustion engine off that mixture, you're liable to break one and diminish the effectiveness of the other.

I'm just skeptical because I've never seen gasoline, even thickened, used as flamethrower fuel. Almost always napalm or something like it.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 20 2004, 04:11 AM
Post #13

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

That may fall under "Special Storage area" int he modifications section. you can't safely store napalm in a GI ammo bin, not unless you really like getting zorched via remote and hate your drone.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 04:12 AM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

Napalm is a mixture of polystyrene and an adhesive mixed with diesel or petrol.

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 20 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Site Kanada Ten Linked To)
Gasoline, being a volatile, easily ignited compound with a high energy density, was immediately used as a weapon in war. In World War I, both Germany and the Allies used it in flame throwers, but it burned itself too quickly to be very effective at igniting the target of the flame throwers. Intensive research to slow down the burning was funded by the U.S. government, and in 1942 Harvard University scientists and the U.S. army chemical warfare service found a way to jelly gasoline that worked quite well. They found that mixing an aluminum soap powder of naphthene and palmitate (hence na-palm), also known as napthenic and palmitic acids, with gasoline produced a brownish sticky syrup that burned more slowly than raw gasoline, and hence was much more effective at igniting one's target.

Now would you put Napalm in the engine? Probably not. That's a recipe for destroying the drone. Conversely, using regular gasoline as a flamethrower fuel WOULD work, I concede that, but it wouldn't be as effective as napalm; it would simply burn off too quickly and would lose something in range as the gas vaporized while burning in mid-air.

So in the end, yes, Kanada has a point but for a superior weapons system you'd want to stick to napalm.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 04:21 AM
Post #16

Beetle Eater

Having a separate tank of superplastic-TM that mixes with the gasoline just prior to entering the flamethrower should relieve that issue then, yes?

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 20 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Perhaps. Perhaps it might.

Well done, sir. Well done. It does lead to having the superplastic hanging in it's own tank or in an external tank. But that's a problem for another thread.

He could also use some of that nifty napalm mentioned in that page that didn't burn even when people extinguised their cigarettes in it. There's a certain safety factor on that, especially when carried in an external tank.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 20 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Nikoli)
That may fall under "Special Storage area" int he modifications section. you can't safely store napalm in a GI ammo bin, not unless you really like getting zorched via remote and hate your drone.

It does, and that's what I'm using.

Basic design is as follows. I'll update with a name and possible modifications in the morning, when I'm not so damn tired.

~J

Chassis: Small UAV (Markup .25)

Power Plant: Electric Fuel Cell

DPV: 199

Final Cost: ¥5,975

Hand. 4, Speed 40, Accel 3, Body 1, Armor 0, Sig 8, Auto 0, Pilot 1, Sensor 1, Cargo 0, Load 94, Fuel E (100 PF), Econ .2 Km/PF

Flamethrower (22 shots, SS, 8M) Spotlight, Infrared Spotlight, Remote-Control Interface, Rigger Adaptation

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Aztechnology Defoiler.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.