Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Double-Check on Armor Numbers, Please
DnDer
post Oct 26 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,906

I can't find the page for rules about layering armor, and just a single sentence that only the highest armor a player is wearing applies... But Chummer doesn't seem to be doing that math properly, according to that sentence (p160, SR4a).

Here's what the player has, after buying Packs from the Runner's Kit, and adding it into Chummer:

Dermal Plate II (+2/2)
Form-fitting Body Armor (6/2)
Armor Vest (6/4)
Armor Jacket (8/6)

Chummer totals that up to 16/10, but that one sentence in the core book means it should be 10/8 (jacket being the highest armor rating, plus dermal plating's armor rating modifier). If I do just the Jacket and Vest, Chummer puts out the right number of 10/8. The Packs book, on p 22 (under multi-shooter) says that it provides (6/2) points of armor, not an armor ~bonus~.

Am I making this too complicated, or is that a misprint in the Packs booklet? I'm trying to make sure this guy is ready to go for our first real run tomorrow, by doing an audit at the GM's request. (I have SR experience from older editions, so... yea... audit duty. But I can't complain. It's helping me learn the new edition better than if I just read the sections I needed for my character.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Oct 26 2012, 05:33 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

Ffba stacks with other armour. The math checks out by my count.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Oct 26 2012, 05:53 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (DnDer @ Oct 26 2012, 07:24 AM) *
Dermal Plate II (+2/2)
Armor Vest (6/4)
Armor Jacket (8/6)

Vest doesn't stack with Jacket, everything else works. So 16/10 is correct and you need a Body of (8+6/2)/2=6 to not be encumbered. If you still want to wear the vest, while it not giving any bonus, you need a body of 9.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Oct 26 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #4

Former Member

Member No.: 53,042

QUOTE (DnDer @ Oct 26 2012, 12:24 AM) *
I can't find the page for rules about layering armor, and just a single sentence that only the highest armor a player is wearing applies... But Chummer doesn't seem to be doing that math properly, according to that sentence (p160, SR4a).

Here's what the player has, after buying Packs from the Runner's Kit, and adding it into Chummer:

Dermal Plate II (+2/2)
Armor Vest (6/4)
Armor Jacket (8/6)

Chummer totals that up to 16/10, but that one sentence in the core book means it should be 10/8 (jacket being the highest armor rating, plus dermal plating's armor rating modifier). If I do just the Jacket and Vest, Chummer puts out the right number of 10/8. The Packs book, on p 22 (under multi-shooter) says that it provides (6/2) points of armor, not an armor ~bonus~.

Am I making this too complicated, or is that a misprint in the Packs booklet? I'm trying to make sure this guy is ready to go for our first real run tomorrow, by doing an audit at the GM's request. (I have SR experience from older editions, so... yea... audit duty. But I can't complain. It's helping me learn the new edition better than if I just read the sections I needed for my character.)

16/10 is correct. It would not be counting the vest, as that piece is not one that stacks. I hope that the character has at least a 6 Body though since the highest value is 11 for encumbrance after FFBA reduction. (3 for FFBA encumbrance, 8 for armor jacket--and that is assuming dropping the vest since it's doing nothing for the character but adding another 6 to encumbrance)

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Oct 26 2012, 06:28 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

And you were so close to that rule you were looking for. Reprinted for your viewing pleasure:
QUOTE (SR4a, page 161)
Armor And Encumbrance

If a character is wearing more than one piece of armor at a time, only the highest value (for either Ballistic or Impact) applies. Note that some armor items, like helmets and shields, provide a modifier to the worn armor rating and so do not count as stacked armor.

Too much armor, however, can slow a character down. If either of a character’s armor ratings exceeds his Body x 2, apply a –1 modifier to Agility and Reaction for every 2 points (or fraction thereof) that his Body x 2 is exceeded. Note that this may affect Initiative as well. If a character is wearing multiple armor items, add their ratings together before comparing to Body

+Quote Post
DnDer
post Oct 26 2012, 06:59 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 55,906

The character has a Body attribute of 9 - he's a cybered Troll - so he has no encumbrance, since the threshold is 18. Correct?

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Oct 26 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (DnDer @ Oct 26 2012, 09:59 AM) *
The character has a Body attribute of 9 - he's a cybered Troll - so he has no encumbrance, since the threshold is 18. Correct?

..trolls natural dermal deposit add another 1/1...
max armor for BOD 9 would be 22/22..(Trolls natural do not count, and FFBA is counted as half when counting encumberance penalty..)
..former line DO NOT count freakish numbers ( Troll w/ multiple cyberlimbs and Heavy Military Grade Armor for exp..)
i would advise your friend for buying Helmet (1/2) or Ballistic Mask (2/1) (WAR!) and combining it with Death mask (0/1) (Attitude) (what works as gas mask) (= 2/2)
also PPP Vitals protection,shin guards,forearm guards, leg & arms casings (discreet version)(Arsenal) would rise the armor rating..

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 26 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (DnDer @ Oct 26 2012, 12:24 AM) *
Dermal Plate II (+2/+2)
Form-fitting Body Armor (+6/+2)
Armor Vest (6/4)
Armor Jacket (8/6)
Troll dermal deposits (+1/+1)

The BLUE numbers all stack.

The RED numbers do not - but add 1:1 to your encumbrance.

This outfit gives you 17/11 armor, but encumbers you as if it were 17/9 (half of the FF, all of the Dermal Plate, and your Troll +1/+1 do not contribute to encumbrance; all of the Jacket and Vest do)..

Let me be 100% clear: the Armor Vest is worse than useless. All it does is (almost) encumber you, it adds nothing to your armor ratings.

By the way, you could get another +1/+1, if you add Gel-Packs to that jacket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Bone Lacing, kevlar or ceramic, would also help out.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Oct 27 2012, 02:21 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

SecureTech PPP Systems would also help.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Oct 27 2012, 04:16 AM
Post #10

Former Member

SoftWeave on the Armor Jacket would be good too.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 27 2012, 04:42 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 26 2012, 09:21 PM) *
SecureTech PPP Systems would also help.

True, very true. Also, a Ballistic Mask kept in a (very large) pocket, could be hastily donned in a firefight, as well.

So it oculd be:

Dermal Plate II (+2/+2)
Armor Jacket [with Gel Packs] (9/7)
Securetech PPP Forearm Guards (+0/+1)
Securetech PPP Leg & Arm Casings (+1/+1)
Securetech PPP Shin Guards (+0/+1)
Securetech PPP Vitals Protector (+1/+1)
Ballistic Mask (+2/+1)
--------------------------------------------------
TOTAL ARMOR RATING: 22/17
TOTAL ENCUMBRANCE: 15/13 (versus 18/18 max)

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 26 2012, 11:16 PM) *
SoftWeave on the Armor Jacket would be good too.

He'sa 9-body Troll. Completely doesn't need it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
faultline
post Oct 27 2012, 05:45 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,366

I know how the armor stack rules apply, but I've always wondered why its Body that's used to determine encumberance and not Strength.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 27 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 27 2012, 01:45 AM) *
I know how the armor stack rules apply, but I've always wondered why its Body that's used to determine encumberance and not Strength.

*shrug* I believe it's because Body generally indicates the character's own bulk.

For my personal houserule, I prefer Body+Strength, as a measure of both physical strength, and personal physical bulk, in equal measure.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 27 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Oct 26 2012, 09:42 PM) *
True, very true. Also, a Ballistic Mask kept in a (very large) pocket, could be hastily donned in a firefight, as well.

So it oculd be:

Dermal Plate II (+2/+2)
Armor Jacket [with Gel Packs] (9/7)
Securetech PPP Forearm Guards (+0/+1)
Securetech PPP Leg & Arm Casings (+1/+1)
Securetech PPP Shin Guards (+0/+1)
Securetech PPP Vitals Protector (+1/+1)
Ballistic Mask (+2/+1)
--------------------------------------------------
TOTAL ARMOR RATING: 22/17
TOTAL ENCUMBRANCE: 15/13 (versus 18/18 max)

He'sa 9-body Troll. Completely doesn't need it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You forgot Delta Amyloid Fibers (Attitude), combined with Softweave, in the Jacket... you would have an additional +3 Ballistic, +1 Impact (so 25/18). Softweave would reduce that encumberance by strength. *shrug*

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Oct 27 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

You forgot Delta Amyloid Fibers (Attitude),
No he didn't
Delta Amyloid and the other 2 Mods are only for Armored Clothing (4/0) and the clothing Combinations. Not for the heavy Armored Jacked

with a lighter Dance
medicineman

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 27 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Oct 27 2012, 08:24 AM) *
No he didn't
Delta Amyloid and the other 2 Mods are only for Armored Clothing (4/0) and the clothing Combinations. Not for the heavy Armored Jacked

with a lighter Dance
medicineman

Indeed... Missed that one when I skimmed it. I thought of it becasue I rarely wear armors as crass as an Armored Jacket and did not realize the restriction. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Thanks Medicineman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Oct 27 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Oct 27 2012, 11:24 PM) *
No he didn't

with a lighter Dance
medicineman

I wish I could convince Herolab of that. As far as I've been able to determine it reads it as literally 'clothing' and 'armoured clothing', and anything else that might qualify (suits, globetrotter outfits ect) can't get it.

This irks me, as I wanted to create an armoured Ghillie Suit with massage liners and colour changing and it kept complaining about errors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)
Not that it stopped me, I just prefer to have everything unquestionably legit and the error message throws doubt on it.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Oct 27 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #18

Former Member

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Oct 27 2012, 10:24 AM) *
No he didn't

with a lighter Dance
medicineman

A Lined Coat, Armored Jacket and Armored Vest are ALL clothing, and to rule otherwise just to keep players from putting Delta Amyloid on them is just stupid, IMO.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 27 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 03:01 PM) *
A Lined Coat, Armored Jacket and Armored Vest are ALL clothing, and to rule otherwise just to keep players from putting Delta Amyloid on them is just stupid, IMO.

Yes, they are clothing. But they are nor Clothing.

That is to say: they are wearable things, but not the KIND of wearable things that Delta Amyloid (and it's two counterparts) is supposed to be applicable to.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Oct 27 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #20

Former Member

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Oct 27 2012, 01:03 PM) *
Yes, they are clothing. But they are nor Clothing.

That is to say: they are wearable things, but not the KIND of wearable things that Delta Amyloid (and it's two counterparts) is supposed to be applicable to.

IMO, that is just rules lawyering, but for the purpose of reducing player options--which is BAD. It's just as bad as the rules lawyering for the purpose of ending up with "uber-character", actually worse since it's generally going to be done by the GM.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Oct 27 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 02:19 PM) *
IMO, that is just rules lawyering, but for the purpose of reducing player options--which is BAD. It's just as bad as the rules lawyering for the purpose of ending up with "uber-character", actually worse since it's generally going to be done by the GM.

As anyone would readily state on this board, I am a die-hard Rules Lawyer of the N-th Degree, and I have to state that by the exact wording on Delta-Amyloid it can only be added to normal clothing (0/0) or the Armored Clothing (4/0) materials from page 327 of SR4A, exactly as the text on page 160 of Attitude states.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 27 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

I would count the various clothing Lines as Clothing/Armored Clothing for the purposes of the Attitude Modifications. I WOULD draw the line at Actual Armor, however. *shrug. Yes, it is a bit arbitrary, but *shrug*... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Oct 27 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 02:01 PM) *

So You're saying that the Developers from CGL are stupid ?
Because its their Rules and not my Interpretation (I would've added an ImO than )

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 27 2012, 02:38 PM) *
I would count the various clothing Lines as Clothing/Armored Clothing for the purposes of the Attitude Modifications. I WOULD draw the line at Actual Armor, however. *shrug. Yes, it is a bit arbitrary, but *shrug*... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

and You're right with that
normal Clothing, armored Clothing (4/0) and the Clothing Lines from the Arsenal are viable to the Mods from Attitude

with an Interpretations Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Oct 27 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #24

Former Member

Whereas I believe the intent would be for anything that isn't hard-plated armor (like Full Body Armor, Military Armor, Security Armor and the other full suits like those) to be applicable for the infusions. And hey look, all of those have the highest ballistic and impact ratings. Now, FFBA and the PPP stuff wouldn't be, but, well, there'd be little purpose in putting them on those anyway--just like I wouldn't bother with SoftWeave on those even if it were being allowed by the GM, so little encumbrance on those anyway.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Oct 27 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 02:19 PM) *
IMO, that is just rules lawyering, but for the purpose of reducing player options--which is BAD.

(a) no, it's not rules-lawyering, it's RTFMing.

(b) Restricting player options is not automatically and universally "BAD". Vry often it's very very GOOD.

It's just as bad as the rules lawyering for the purpose of ending up with "uber-character", actually worse since it's generally going to be done by the GM.

GMs don't rules-layer. GMs set the rules. There's no trying to weasel-word for advantage involved; if a GM says "this is my interpretation of the Rules, and So Shall It Be" ... then, well, that's not rules-lawyering; it's just being the GM.

As GM, I could even decree that Delta-Amyloid is not available at all, which is even MORE restrictive than the RAW "Armored clothing or normal clothing only". That's still not rules-lawyering, it's "using a house rule".

Just like the "any nonrigid armor can use Infusions" thing you prefer, would be (if you were the GM).

"House rules" != "rules lawyering".

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 02:51 PM) *
Whereas I believe the intent would be for anything that isn't hard-plated armor (like Full Body Armor, Military Armor, Security Armor and the other full suits like those) to be applicable for the infusions.

And yet, all those items you just listed, are every bit as much "clothing" as a Lined Coat.

So, you see, even you are drawing entirely arbitrary lines between which options a player can excercise, and which she cannot.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.