Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deadly damage to vehicles, When does a car just go "boom!"
cutter07
post Apr 20 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,239

Runner A shots car full of gangers (something ligthweight like an Americar) with a burst of AV rounds. After all is said an done the car takes deadly damage, all in 1 hit. Clearly the car is smashed and crashing but does it explode? Sure you can CS the gas tank but at what point is it enough damage to just blow. Also what kind of damage do the people inside take from a car explosion?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 20 2004, 04:26 AM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

The tank only explodes on a critical.

In real life a gunshot cannot make a gas tank explode like it does in the movie.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 20 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

indeed. and even then, it's not like a massive KA-BOOM that sends the burning frame flipping end-over-end. it'll just burst into flame, leaving the occupants plenty of time to get out and/or burn and scream until they die.

when vehicles reach D damage, the driver has to make a crash test. if they reach D damage in a single hit, they have to make two crash tests--one for taking above S damage, and one for reaching D damage. if the driver fails either test, the vehicle crashes, either slamming into a handy object or just flipping and rolling. passengers then have to resist crash damage.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Not quite. The explosion can actually be fairly potent. But, yes, movies tend to exaggerate this to ridiculously stupid extremes because apparently only idiots go into pyrotechnics as a profession.

Out of curiosity, though, anyone have rules to handle cars blowing up?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 04:40 AM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Something like, vehicle overflow equal to body (or body + armor) and appropriate fuel?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 20 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Vehicles tend to blow up when the Deadly was applied with ATGMs or the like. The source of the brunt of the explosion can, at times, be a tad unclear.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 20 2004, 04:50 AM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Maybe base it off the weapon power then. If a vehicle takes deadly in one turn, make a body test against the modified power of the last damaging weapon. One success prevents explosion. If the vehicle explodes use the fuel capacity divided by 10 (right? average gas tank size 120 liters?) as the power minus 1 per meter?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 20 2004, 04:52 AM
Post #8

um I have to point out that if we take the quote:

Vehicles tend to blow up when the Deadly was applied with ATGMs or the like.

And replace Vehickes with Kittens we get:

Kittens tend to blow up when the Deadly was applied with ATGMs or the like.

Which is also just as true. It's all relative :D :grinbig: :D

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 04:53 AM
Post #9

Runner

Maybe -2 per meter, but that sounds pretty good. As for actually deciding whether the car blows up or not, I'd suggest placing far more statistical significance on the number of rounds fired than the power, as well as the type of damage done (explosives, naturally, would make car explosions more likely than standard bullets, though both would knock engines out fairly well).

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 20 2004, 04:54 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

In real life a gunshot cannot make a gas tank explode like it does in the movie.

Actually its pretty easy to set off a gas tank IRL. Even static or a cellphone/pager can set off gas fumes. Now is it common? No but possible. But IRL isn't the point, plenty of things in SR don't make sense. The question is there anything in game for this?

indeed. and even then, it's not like a massive KA-BOOM that sends the burning frame flipping end-over-end

Um yes it is. 10 gallons of burning fuel isn't 10 gallons of fuel under compression or a gas cloud. Gas tank explosions are much like a fuel air bomb where the compression of fuel causes a massive pressure release. Try to find the video of the test made on Pintos and Mustang (which both has gas tank issues). Its unreal the damage it causes.

Maybe base it off the weapon power then. If a vehicle takes deadly in one turn, make a body test against the modified power of the last damaging weapon. One success prevents explosion. If the vehicle explodes use the fuel capacity divided by 10 (right? average gas tank size 120 liters?) as the power minus 1 per meter?

Not sure but considering the weapon was at 18D with 4 successes (and talkign AV ammo) I was amazed the vehicle only slowed to a stop. I expected some kind of fireworks or at least for the engine to catch fire.

Once again not asking for house rules, just SR offical rules. I don't know the Rigger BB rules from Adam so asking those who do if I'm missing something.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Apr 20 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Not quite. The explosion can actually be fairly potent. But, yes, movies tend to exaggerate this to ridiculously stupid extremes because apparently only idiots go into pyrotechnics as a profession.

Or maybe it's just because explosions are cool, so fuck verisimilitude :)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 05:02 AM
Post #12

Runner

Ever seen The Transporter? That wasn't cool. That was comedy.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 20 2004, 05:09 AM
Post #13

Actually its pretty easy to set off a gas tank IRL. Even static or a cellphone/pager can set off gas fumes. Now is it common? No but possible. But IRL isn't the point, plenty of things in SR don't make sense. The question is there anything in game for this?
See, that's the common misconception. Fumes can ignite, outside of a car. inside a gas tank it cant get enough ventilation, as for gast to ignite like that it has to be at a minimal oxygen level. Theres not enough oxygen in a gas tank to make that happen. Without the oxygen gas fumes don't burn at all.

Typically the entire gas tank has to rupture outright, while a source of ignition is available. Bullets cannot typically accomplish this. This typically happens in high speed rear end collisions where the front vehicle has a gas tank behind the rear axle.

[EDIT]
Oh and... A site that debunks Urban legends on the cellphone thing. In a nutshell, there has not been found a single case where the cellphone was confirmed to have started the fire

And while im at it, a story on... The Myth of the exploding Pinto.

And last but not least a link about... Cars exploding as they relate to real life physics.

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 20 2004, 05:36 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

See, that's the common misconception. Fumes can ignite, outside of a car. inside a gas tank it cant get enough ventilation, as for gast to ignite like that it has to be at a minimla oxygen level. Theres not enough oxygen in a gas tank to make that happen. Without the oxygen gas fumes dont burn at all.

Gas tanks have air in them. Its not a vacuum as everytime to open the tank air gets in and gas vapor escapes. If you doubt this post a video of you dropping a match down your gas tank and closing it. Theres no air the right, so whats the issue? :rotfl:
Seriously though this is a 6th grade science project. The smaller space an force is contained in greter force on the container. Think of it like the car is a grenade, with the gas as the charge and the body as its frag casing. Anything inside is pretty much gibbed.

Oh and:A site that debunks Urban Ledgends on the cellphone thing. In a nutshell, there has not been found a single case where the cellphone was confirmed to have started the fire

Yes I guess thats why they put the warnings on the pumps at gas stations, to spread urban legends. Couldn't be because it makes sense. I'd trust ol' David Emery over Exxon-Mobil's research any day.

Any electric charge in a fuel vapor field has a chance of setting it off.

As far as the Pinto its not an urban myth, 180 people actually died from this and I find it insulting you make light of thier deaths. Please know what your talking about before you start

http://www.savive.com/casestudy/fordpinto.html

http://www.carconsumers.com/quote_pages/ai..._iacocca_2.html

http://robots.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0207/20/cp.00.html

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=96&did=522

http://www.perryhaas.com/durrillvfordmotorcompany.html

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 20 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #15

Please, please read the bottom link I posted, everything is refuted there.

It's not that there's NO air in the gas tank, its that theres not enough.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #16

Runner

That movie physics site had some solid, if basic information, but I am a little surprised that they don't bother to do enough research on firearms but still beat the crap out of movies for it. Seems these guys have never heard of reflex suppressors or subsonic rounds.

Anyway, about the cell phone, it is an urban legend that it ever happened, but it is potentially possible. Just extraordinarily unlikely in any real world condition.

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 20 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Its not just the movies but video games too. One of the funniest is counterstrike (one of the first games to be quoted as being "realistic"). In one glaring example the AK47, the most widespread weapon worldwide, is shown with its receiver on the wrong side of the weapon. I had to go check my MAK90 the first to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Seems like they either should have caught that or not had such a hardon about showing the casings eject.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #18

Runner

Heh. I think that's being generous. There is not a single thing right with that game.

Incidentally, most of the guns are incorrectly mirrored. It's not just the AK. Personally, the first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that it wasn't even shooting the right ammunition, but hey.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (cutter07)
In one glaring example the AK47, the most widespread weapon worldwide, is shown with its receiver on the wrong side of the weapon.

That's got nothing to do with realism, though. CStrike had issues, because all the weapons were originally fired from the left side of the screen, with all the stuff in the right place. They were made to fire from the right by making mirror images of the original models, and so all the weapons have all their important stuff on the wrong side of the gun.

If you want to talk about CStrike realism, how about the fact that the 7.62x51mm IMI Galil does less damage than the 7.62x39 AK-47? Or the fact that the Galil has a 35 (thirty-fucking-five) round magazine, while the FAMAS has 25. Etc etc.

Not sure but considering the weapon was at 18D with 4 successes (and talkign AV ammo) I was amazed the vehicle only slowed to a stop.

What weapon was this from? Small-arms AV rounds are described in CC as having a "solid bronze core" (beats me why that should be any more effective against vehicles than, say, tungsten carbide). They won't set things on fire any better than ordinary ammunition, or even make significantly bigger holes, they just dig deeper.

If the damage was caused with a really large weapon, like a HMG, then you could consider AV as an High Explosive Indendiary Armor Piercing (HEIAP/APHE/HEAP, whatever) round, fuck the CC, and the car could easily have been set on fire.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Personally, the first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that it wasn't even shooting the right ammunition, but hey.

Not a big issue now, but when you still bought ammo by caliber it was really silly. Both AKs and G3SG1s used 7.62x51mm. Of course, back then MP5s were more accurate than M4A1s and M249s did far more damage per shot than AKs. The insanely slow, maxim-like RoF of the M249 has prevailed since then, even though the damage has been dropped.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
That's got nothing to do with realism, though. CStrike had issues, because all the weapons were originally fired from the left side of the screen, with all the stuff in the right place. They were made to fire from the right by making mirror images of the original models, and so all the weapons have all their important stuff on the wrong side of the gun.

If you want to talk about CStrike realism, how about the fact that the 7.62x51mm IMI Galil does less damage than the 7.62x39 AK-47? Or the fact that the Galil has a 35 (thirty-fucking-five) round magazine, while the FAMAS has 25. Etc etc.

Austere, that Galil does less damage because it's chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO. That's why it has a 35 round mag.The FAMAS has a 25 round mag because Gooseman inexplicably decided to go with an F1, despite the fact that it's quite antiquated and has been replaced.

But the list goes on, from the P228 having the wrong capacity and ammunition (should be 12 rounds of 9x19mm) to the AK-47 firing the wrong stuff (7.62x51mm NATO instead of 7.62x39 WP) to the simple inclusion of an AUG and a Desert Eagle to the Glock 18 firing 3 round bursts (that only happened on the very rare prototype models, not to mention that gun is extraordinarily difficult to get ahold of fo civilians) to he M249 being about half of what it should be (half rof, half capacity, half accuracy, etc) to god knows what else. It's an awful game, and that's all there is to it.

And about those models: they may've been originally left handed, but that doesn't explain why some of them still use the wrong hands to do things anyway, nor does it explain why only some of the guns are modeled backwards and others aren't. If you just take a stance of assuming that Gooseman's a blithering idiot, though, it all works out.

What weapon was this from? Small-arms AV rounds are described in CC as having a "solid bronze core" (beats me why that should be any more effective against vehicles than, say, tungsten carbide). They won't set things on fire any better than ordinary ammunition, or even make significantly bigger holes, they just dig deeper.

If the damage was caused with a really large weapon, like a HMG, then you could consider AV as an High Explosive Indendiary Armor Piercing (HEIAP/APHE/HEAP, whatever) round, fuck the CC, and the car could easily have been set on fire.

In fact, wouldn't they be less effective than tungsten?

Not a big issue now, but when you still bought ammo by caliber it was really silly. Both AKs and G3SG1s used 7.62x51mm. Of course, back then MP5s were more accurate than M4A1s and M249s did far more damage per shot than AKs. The insanely slow, maxim-like RoF of the M249 has prevailed since then, even though the damage has been dropped.

Actually, the ammunition system— along with most of the game— has not changed since the first release. The AK still uses 7.62x51mm NATO, and if you guy ammo for it, drop it, and pick up something like the G3-SG1, you'll see. Only change that's been made is that ammunition is auto selected when you buy it, now. But, yeah, you're right about the rest. Come to think of it, I'm sort of ashamed how far I go back with this game.

Anyway, sort of getting back on topic, custom rules for blowing up cars?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Austere, that Galil does less damage because it's chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO. That's why it has a 35 round mag.

Well, uhh, not really. The HUD shows 7.62 when you've got a Galil, and the model is clearly the 7.62 Galil (because of the shape of the magazine, which is straight in CStrike vs curved in a 5.56 Galil). [Edit]Don't hold me accountable on HUD showing 7.62 with Galil, haven't played that game in a while...[/Edit]

And then there's the AWP/AWM which doesn't really know which one it wants to be. And the semi-only G3SG1.

And about those models: they may've been originally left handed, but that doesn't explain why some of them still use the wrong hands to do things anyway, nor does it explain why only some of the guns are modeled backwards and others aren't.

It does, though. The mirroring was done some time around B4 or B5, I think, and any weapon whose model has been redone, or any weapon that only came after that, should have the model the right way around. And if the action is the wrong way around, then obviously the wrong hands are used. And maybe after that the gun designers couldn't agree on what way they wanted to go.

They're still a bunch of idiots, but it's explainable idiocy.

In fact, wouldn't they be less effective than tungsten?

Hell yes, but let's not go there. :)

Actually, the ammunition system— along with most of the game— has not changed since the first release.

Caliber-wise, no. I played it from B3 through to 1.3, so I'm aware of that. But back then it really showed, when the Buy Ammo display actually showed 7.62x51mm, and you could buy ammo for both at the same time.

And I'm as ashamed of it as you are. That's why I only really play America's Army now. Although it has its fair share of problems, like RPK-47s with a RoF of 1000/min and 10-meter 100% kill radius 40mms.

Anyway, sort of getting back on topic, custom rules for blowing up cars?

I'm of the school of thought that it's not necessary. Most attacks that would cause a significant explosion of the fuel tank would probably total the rest of the vehicle as well. You could try the flamethrower rules for people inside if it's reasonable that the gas tank went off.

I've got a feeling that a fuel tank explosion usually won't cause much of a pressure wave outside of the vehicle, and the people around would mostly have to worry about the fire. You could go with a WP grenade, but far easier to put out, less smoke, less range, more damage.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Apr 20 2004, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #22

Runner

Yeah, good point about the Galil mag. The problems do go on and on, but I should point out that the game is the product of one very stupid and very arrogant guy, the aforementioned Gooseman. So, just one idiot, really.

And I tried to play AA. I tried very hard. I qualified for everything. Made it all the way to being a Green Beret. But you try playng that game over 56k. Was maybe the least fun I'd ever had in my entire life.

Anyway, yeah, variation on the WP grenade might be a good way to go. Then again, might just be best to leave it to GM fiat. I'm not sure where I stand, really.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

I first played it with a 64k ISDN from Finland to the freaking East Coast of US. Believe me, that wasn't too fun either. Luckily you Americans can't play for shit. :D

I'd leave it to GM fiat. But I might GM fiat it in a way that uses the WP grenade rules. ;)

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Apr 20 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #24

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

when did this become the gun/CS/AA thread..hehe. I know you all were touching on realism, AA comes closest, but ya if your modem bound you can't play for shit...

On the side of realism/unrealism...what happens when the ubercytroll takes his quarterstaff (read big azz peice of rebar) and hits a car with it and gets up to deadly damage even after vehicle mods are placed on the damage...

Here's what I did...or the whole story...the troll was aiming for the driver to disable him...smashing down through the window. he fouled up the hit...but it was still gonna hit the car right? So I decided to let him roll for damage, thinking...no way he's gonna do that much damage to a car (ford americar FYI). Well he smashes, I caculate, Deadly damage..car with low body..car makes no successes.

My decision ended up being that he had hit the steering colunm and cleanly snapped it off, leaving the non rigged vehicle completely undriveable...

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Apr 20 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE (Arethusa)

I hope that was a joke? It is not the pyrotechnitians are idiots, it is the idiot audience they are trying to impress. How fun would an action movie be with out cars exploding when hit with a pistol shot, from a guy in a speeding car shooting at a speeding car. The techical people that make movies are by no means idiots, it is the audience they have to make want to sit through 2 hours of Arnold or Sly. Movies that over do the effects are generally weak in the acting department.

When I watch a movie I know there is no chance a pistol is going to get lucky and hit the fuel tank and make it explod and do 10 end over end flips, but I will tell I laugh and have a good time watching.

End rant.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.