Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell Force and Edge
Major Doom
post Oct 31 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,111

In SR4A, under "Force" (page 182), there's a part that states by declaring the use of Edge, it does not limit the amount of Hits that can be achieved, regardless of the Force of the spell.

Does this mean you can set a spell's Force to 1, declare Edge, and keep all the hits?

Would the surplus of Hits affect Drain for Direct Combat Spells such as Stunbolt?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Oct 31 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

from what I understand yes, you can use an F1 spell, use edge & keep all hits, & those hits would still effect anything they would normally effect I imagine, if you're using that rule for Direct Combat spells.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Oct 31 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

This is great fun with sustaining foci.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Oct 31 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Sort of. AFAIK you roll your Edge pool separately from your regular spellcasting pool. Your regular spellcasting pool is still limited by the Force of the spell you're casting, while any/all hits you get from your Edge pool are then added in.

+Quote Post
Mikado
post Oct 31 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,286

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Oct 31 2012, 03:18 PM) *
Sort of. AFAIK you roll your Edge pool separately from your regular spellcasting pool. Your regular spellcasting pool is still limited by the Force of the spell you're casting, while any/all hits you get from your Edge pool are then added in.

As far as I am aware edge dice added to a test before a roll are counted as a single pool not two separate pools. The only time edge dice are a separate pool is when you add them in after rolling the attribute + skill pool.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Oct 31 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Decided to look this up:
QUOTE (SR4a, page 182)
A spell’s Force limits the number of hits (not net hits) that can be achieved on the Spellcasting Test. So if you cast a Force 3 spell and get 5 hits, only 3 of those hits count. In other words, Force has a limiting effect on spells—the more oomph you put into the spell, the better you can succeed with it. This limitation does not apply to Edge dice that are used to boost a spell.

+Quote Post
Mikado
post Oct 31 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,286

Yea, any pool you add edge to are edge dice. They all can explode 6's. I see no reason to differentiate dice in a spell casting pool if it does not happen anywhere else. But I can see how that can be one way to read the rules.

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Oct 31 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Target

So a spellcaster with a lot of Edge, can just use that Edge, set the spell to Force 1, and go crazy with annihilating the opposition, especially with Indirect Combat Spells?

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Oct 31 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

until they run out of edge, because Edge is such a Finite resource it may not be smart to do that as you never know when you'll find the situation where you REALLY need that edge.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 31 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Major Doom @ Oct 31 2012, 01:55 PM) *
So a spellcaster with a lot of Edge, can just use that Edge, set the spell to Force 1, and go crazy with annihilating the opposition, especially with Indirect Combat Spells?

Honestly, you should always use Force of 3 as your baseline (If drain is your only concern). Base Drain is always F/2, Round Down (+/- Modifiers from there). So even a Force 3 Spell is only base of 1 Drain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 31 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Mikado @ Oct 31 2012, 03:42 PM) *
Yea, any pool you add edge to are edge dice. They all can explode 6's. I see no reason to differentiate dice in a spell casting pool if it does not happen anywhere else. But I can see how that can be one way to read the rules.

how about "because the spellcasting pool is the only pool that says it treats edge dice differently from other dice".

because that sounds like a reason to me.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Oct 31 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

And the first bullet in spending Edge, SR4a page 74, is written in a way that pretty much says Edge dice are a separate thing; "All dice (not just Edge dice) rolled on this test are subject to the Rule of Six (p. 62), meaning that if you roll a 6, you count it as a hit and roll it again."

So, yeah, you spend Edge for extra dice in a spellcasting test, the whole pool of dice can explode, but only the added Edge dice can explode beyond the limits of the spell's Force.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Oct 31 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

It's such a bullshit rule - no need for it at all.

If you interpret the rules a certain way (and some do, as per that other thread) a single point of Edge can accomplish three things at once:

- Achieve more hits
- Negate a glitch/critical glitch (by adding dice)
- Exceed the Force limit

Too much I say.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 31 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Oct 31 2012, 04:13 PM) *
It's such a bullshit rule - no need for it at all.

If you interpret the rules a certain way (and some do, as per that other thread) a single point of Edge can accomplish three things at once:

- Achieve more hits
- Negate a glitch/critical glitch (by adding dice)
- Exceed the Force limit

Too much I say.

Only two of those three can occur at the same time according to those others... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Oct 31 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 31 2012, 11:17 PM) *
Only two of those three can occur at the same time according to those others... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think that adding edge after the roll would allow for it to happen (but then, quite clearly, only the edge dice could exceed Force).

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Oct 31 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Oct 31 2012, 04:20 PM) *
And the first bullet in spending Edge, SR4a page 74, is written in a way that pretty much says Edge dice are a separate thing; "All dice (not just Edge dice) rolled on this test are subject to the Rule of Six (p. 62), meaning that if you roll a 6, you count it as a hit and roll it again."

So, yeah, you spend Edge for extra dice in a spellcasting test, the whole pool of dice can explode, but only the added Edge dice can explode beyond the limits of the spell's Force.

So what you are saying is different from how I've interpreted the rule in SR4A, page 183. Does this mean even if a spellcaster declares the use of Edge before rolling the Spellcasting Test, the Edge dice are actually rolled separately for ease of tracking the exploding dice for the Edge dice, and only the Edge dice Hits are used in surpassing the limitation of the spell's Force?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Oct 31 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #17

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

As per spellbinder's point above, Edge dice are different from the rest of the pool. I use different coloured dice to make it easy to differentiate and thereby follow the rule.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Oct 31 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Pretty much, Major Doom, though I wish I knew where on page 183 you were referring to (maybe meaning 182?). And I'm sure that other GMs out there have interpreted this the same way you have, and there are some that may even prefer to let an Edge buffed spellcasting test be wholly unlimited by Force (check with your GM before trying to count on this).

And pbangarth's suggestion of using differently colored dice is a good idea too, though I'd probably have plenty of the second color just in case you have a major lucky streak and repeatedly roll a bunch of 6's.

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Nov 1 2012, 01:05 AM
Post #19

Target

Yeah I meant page 182.

+Quote Post
mowarty
post Nov 1 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 46,831

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Oct 31 2012, 05:30 PM) *
Pretty much, Major Doom, though I wish I knew where on page 183 you were referring to (maybe meaning 182?). And I'm sure that other GMs out there have interpreted this the same way you have, and there are some that may even prefer to let an Edge buffed spellcasting test be wholly unlimited by Force (check with your GM before trying to count on this).

And pbangarth's suggestion of using differently colored dice is a good idea too, though I'd probably have plenty of the second color just in case you have a major lucky streak and repeatedly roll a bunch of 6's.

No sorry but this is wrong, it is stated very clearly in the rule of six pg.62 and in spending edge on pg. 74 that all dice that roll a 6 get counted and rerolled when edge is spent on the rule of six.

Aerospider I would reread the edge rules on pg.74 if I where you because edge never does more than one thing at any given time. in the first sentence under spending edge it says "you can choose to have one of the following happen."

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Nov 1 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (mowarty @ Oct 31 2012, 09:10 PM) *
No sorry but this is wrong, it is stated very clearly in the rule of six pg.62 and in spending edge on pg. 74 that all dice that roll a 6 get counted and rerolled when edge is spent on the rule of six.

Aerospider I would reread the edge rules on pg.74 if I where you because edge never does more than one thing at any given time. in the first sentence under spending edge it says "you can choose to have one of the following happen."

The rule of six still applies to declaring Edge for a spell's Force. Basically, your Spellcasting dice pool gains the rule of six, but regardless how much Hits you achieve, Force limits it. Then you roll Edge dice separately, for ease of tracking which dice are the Edge dice, then however many Hits you get in total (which includes the rule of six) is added for surpassing the Force of the spell.

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Nov 1 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #22

Target

Also, since Edge dice are the only dice that surpass the Force limit, I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if you declare the use of Edge before your Spellcasting Test or after, since the effect is the same.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Nov 1 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

I don't recall saying anywhere where the spellcasting dice didn't get the Rule Of 6 when you spend Edge to add dice to the skill test. The majority of the discussion had been regarding magic being cast at Force 1, where in it doesn't matter how many 6's you roll for the Edge added spellcasting test as the spellcasting dice pool (note that this is not including the added Edge dice pool) is limited to one hit no matter what, so I just did not mention it.

Now if you're casting higher Force spells, like most any mage is going to ("go big or go home" is the line I recall reading elsewhere more than once), then yes, your spellcasting dice get the Rule Of 6 just like the Edge dice. Those extra hits apply to your overall success just like anywhere else, but that does not mean you can get more hits than Force from your spellcasting Dice.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Nov 1 2012, 01:35 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Major Doom @ Oct 31 2012, 07:22 PM) *
Also, since Edge dice are the only dice that surpass the Force limit, I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if you declare the use of Edge before your Spellcasting Test or after, since the effect is the same.
Sort of. If you declare you're spending Edge to add dice after the original test has been made, only the Edge dice get the Rule Of 6. If you declare it before you roll, all of the dice get the Rule Of 6. This part doesn't matter what kind of test you're making.

Now if you're casting a spell at Force 1 and get 1 or more hits on your spellcasting test, then no, it doesn't really matter when you declare you're spending Edge to add dice. But if you're casting a spell at a much higher level, then it certainly will matter as you're likely not to be getting more hits than the spell's Force and the Rule Of 6 could help you get there.

+Quote Post
mowarty
post Nov 1 2012, 02:23 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 46,831

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Oct 31 2012, 07:35 PM) *
Sort of. If you declare you're spending Edge to add dice after the original test has been made, only the Edge dice get the Rule Of 6. If you declare it before you roll, all of the dice get the Rule Of 6. This part doesn't matter what kind of test you're making.

Now if you're casting a spell at Force 1 and get 1 or more hits on your spellcasting test, then no, it doesn't really matter when you declare you're spending Edge to add dice. But if you're casting a spell at a much higher level, then it certainly will matter as you're likely not to be getting more hits than the spell's Force and the Rule Of 6 could help you get there.

I agree with you here except with your second sentence. It always matters when you declare the use of edge because of dice pool modifiers. If your going to cast a spell you are always better off making sure you can re-roll any six's you might get with spell casting specialization and or the power foci and mentor spirit ect, unless of course you are using the increased drain from net hit optional rules which I don't as I think they are total bs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.