Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New SR Fiction Released: Novella, "Neat"
Critias
post Nov 11 2012, 06:45 AM
Post #1

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Some new Shadowrun fiction just went live, an e-novella named "Neat," which features one Jimmy Kincaid (a PI who has made appearances in the intro fic of Twilight Horizon and more recently Dirty Tricks).

You can find it on drivethru: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1079...adowrun%3A-Neat

Or battleshop: http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=3066

And it should be available on Kindle and Nook before too long, if those float your boat.

So, as someone who is in no way neutral and impartial about this project (the farthest thing from it, in fact, I've been violently biting my tongue for quite a while), you guys should totally go buy it. And tell your friends about it, and tell them to buy it. And buy extras to give to people as gifts!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Nov 11 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 11 2012, 07:45 AM) *
And buy extras to give to people as gifts!

And extras to keep around just in case something happens to the primary, I take it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 11 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 11 2012, 04:55 AM) *
And extras to keep around just in case something happens to the primary, I take it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Well, that only makes sense. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Nov 11 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Bought it but can't get either format to open on good reader app.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Nov 11 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Had to reinstall iBooks. Seems to work in that.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 11 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Nov 11 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Had to reinstall iBooks. Seems to work in that.

Glad it's worked out for you -- I'm way outta the loop on the technical side of things (I had to download an epub reader, myself, to do my final proof). Hopefully you enjoy it now that you jumped through the hoops to read it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Nov 12 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 11 2012, 04:35 PM) *
Well, that only makes sense. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What I really need is for CanRay to weigh in if I should purchase this instead of another copy of Safehouses.

Critias, I'd probably get it if it was printed or an audiobook, but I quite dislike reading e-books.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Nov 13 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #8

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 11 2012, 06:18 PM) *
Critias, I'd probably get it if it was printed or an audiobook, but I quite dislike reading e-books.

That's your loss, Halinn. I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it thoroughly....

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Nov 13 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Nov 13 2012, 06:13 PM) *
That's your loss, Halinn. I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it thoroughly....

I like my books the way some people like their cyberpunk. Stuck using technology from decades ago.

At some point, the day will probably come when I cave in and get an e-book reader, but it is not this day! This day we fight!!

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 13 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #10

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 13 2012, 02:12 PM) *
I like my books the way some people like their cyberpunk. Stuck using technology from decades ago.

At some point, the day will probably come when I cave in and get an e-book reader, but it is not this day! This day we fight!!

On the off chance you change your mind and decide to give the story a shot, there are several ways you can open e-book files (ePub, etc) on various web browsers. Amazon offers a download, even. So you could read it, hypothetically, just as easily as you browse forums and read the text there (no need to buy an actual e-reader as a separate device).

If it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea. But I know I, personally, would love for more people to read the book, so if you decide you've got $3 burning a hole in your pocket and want to check it out, I'd be thrilled. So far reviews have been great and sales have me smiling, but the better it does, the better everyone's odds of getting more new fiction, and (by the way) of maybe getting some of this fiction printed up, someday.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Nov 13 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #11

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Wow. Is this ... a novel? A Shadowrun novel? How many pages does it have? Will there be more like it? Will there be print?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 13 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #12

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (hermit @ Nov 13 2012, 02:48 PM) *
Wow. Is this ... a novel? A Shadowrun novel?

Novella, actually. Trust me, I would've loved to have gone longer, but you write what the boss tells ya to write. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But yes, it's very much Shadowrun. Elves, ally spirits, headware commlinks, Knight Errant, Yakuza, Mafia, orks, all that good stuff! There's even a special guest star that makes an appearance, straight outta Jackpoint.
How many pages does it have?

It's my understanding that it can change from e-book reader to e-book reader (depending on personal settings, etc), but on mine it clocks in at just about 100 pages.
Will there be more like it?

That's outta my hands. Last I heard there are plans for more, yes, but I dunno the details. For what it's worth, I'm certainly lobbying to get to write more Kincaid stuff (and have a second one just about done in my head, I just need an excuse to sit down and type it up).
Will there be print?

See above (no one knows yet). If I was to guess, I'd say that maybe if it sells well, and more of them get published, there's the possibility of them maybe being bundled together in dead-tree format someday (but that's, honestly and totally, just me guessing, nothing in any way official).

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Nov 13 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

Well, for those that like it in DTF (dead tree format) you can buy the ePub, convert it to a PDF and take it to a Staples or whatever and print it out. It'll cost more, and you can pay more to get it bounded. But as long as you don't sell the thing it should be safe.

I did this for some old BattleCorps stories, hated their format.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 13 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Why did you have to name him Kincaid? Every time I'm reading the name, I'm thinking of Dresden Files. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 13 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #15

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 13 2012, 06:15 PM) *
Why did you have to name him Kincaid? Every time I'm reading the name, I'm thinking of Dresden Files. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

My wife pointed that out to me, but not until after I'd submitted my draft (and got to liking the name), quite a long time ago. To be honest, all I know about the Dresden Files is from a few sessions of the RPG (we didn't get too far into it, and as far as I know never interacted with any 'canon' characters). Everyone I know shouts at me that I need to read up on the series, but I've just never gotten around to it.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Nov 13 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 13 2012, 11:56 PM) *
My wife pointed that out to me, but not until after I'd submitted my draft (and got to liking the name), quite a long time ago. To be honest, all I know about the Dresden Files is from a few sessions of the RPG (we didn't get too far into it, and as far as I know never interacted with any 'canon' characters). Everyone I know shouts at me that I need to read up on the series, but I've just never gotten around to it.

It's a good read. The first and second books aren't as well-written as the later ones, but they're still good, and a lot of important stuff later in the series is established in them.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 14 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Go and red the books then! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/read.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 14 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 13 2012, 04:21 PM) *
It's a good read. The first and second books aren't as well-written as the later ones, but they're still good, and a lot of important stuff later in the series is established in them.

The First and Second books are where the character is really established, though. Yes, they are all awesome books. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 18 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #19

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 13 2012, 06:15 PM) *

So aside from Kincaid's name, have you got any thoughts on it? Hopefully you enjoyed the read, except for the name commonality?

+Quote Post
Aria
post Nov 19 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 18,267

Just finished it and really enjoyed it, thanks! Emminently digestable at that size reading it on my phone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 19 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 19 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Just finished it and really enjoyed it, thanks! Emminently digestable at that size reading it on my phone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it! If you've got a sec, please feel free to drop a review/rating at whatever e-shop you got it from -- every little piece of feedback helps!

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Nov 28 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
This is SR as I've played and GMed for years now and reading it felt like coming home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Vegetaman
post Dec 1 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,421

Oh crap, just found out this was out today. Finally some new SR fiction. (I wish it was in .pdf format for those of us without e-readers, but we can make do)

Hopefully we'll still be getting some more -PRINT- novels somewhere down the line; but this is still fantastic!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

EPUB can be read with Firefox using an add-on, so it's "Web Browser" capable if you finagle around a bit.

I'm slowly working my way through it. Hit me at a strange time in my head.

Yes, stranger than usual.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 1 2012, 07:49 AM
Post #25

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Nov 30 2012, 08:44 PM) *
Oh crap, just found out this was out today. Finally some new SR fiction. (I wish it was in .pdf format for those of us without e-readers, but we can make do)

Spread the word, every little bit helps! The more folks hear about it, the better. Make sure to tell your gamer buddies, holler on forums, all that fun stuff. It's appreciated!

And I'm glad you enjoyed it (and you, too, Bannockburn). The feedback's just been fantastic so far, reviews have been great, and I've been thrilled with the whole thing. Hopefully it'll continue to do well, folks'll keep on diggin' it, all that good stuff.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.