Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Dice App
nylanfs
post Dec 10 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,576

So my wife got me a smartphone for xmas. Anyone know of a good dice roller for an android phone? Preferably one that I can set the target number & roll 20 dice. If I had to shake the phone to roll that would be cool also.

Also can anyone suggest any other apps for gaming? I play in a SR and Pathfinder game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 10 2012, 05:30 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

My choice is Mobile Runner. It doesn't have variable TNs, but it does everything else, including a "dice cup" where you shake the phone to roll.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 10 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #3

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

I just looked up Mobile Runner, even though I don't have an Android phone. Call me a paranoid runner, but the permissions it has seem awful powerful and very useful to a malicious hacker.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 10 2012, 06:05 AM
Post #4

Former Member

Member No.: 53,042

Just looked it up online and the browser immediately flagged the site as untrustworthy. I think you're right pbangarth, not paranoid.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 10 2012, 06:10 AM
Post #5

Runner

Egad. App deleted.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Dec 10 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

There's one on the iPhone (I know, I know) whose free version just allows dice rolling, but you have to buy it for like, $5 in order to customize the rolls.

What's the legal policy on these things? Can you really charge five bucks for a dice app for a game someone else owns?

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 10 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 10 2012, 06:54 AM) *
I just looked up Mobile Runner, even though I don't have an Android phone. Call me a paranoid runner, but the permissions it has seem awful powerful and very useful to a malicious hacker.

Die App benötigt READ_PHONE_STATE, damit sie mitbekommt, wenn das Telefon klingelt und in den Hintergrund schalten kann. INTERNET und WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE werden benötigt, um .chum-Dateien herunterladen und auf der Speicherkarte speichern zu können. CAMERA wird benötigt, um URL über einen QR-Code einscannen zu können.

READ_PHONE_STATE is required to switch to the background on an incoming call, INTERNET and WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE for downloading .chum files, and CAMERA for reading QR codes.

Personally I use DieDroid, very clean display, highlights successes and ones, and has the added charm of being FOSS...Mobile Runner was really sluggish when I tried it a few versions back, though maybe that has been fixed in the meantime.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 10 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Runner

I downloaded DieDroid. It is, indeed, an admirably clean and simple app, does everything I need it to do, and does everything the OP wants with the exception of being able to shake the phone to roll.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 10 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 10 2012, 07:06 AM) *
READ_PHONE_STATE is required to switch to the background on an incoming call, INTERNET and WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE for downloading .chum files, and CAMERA for reading QR codes.
Yeah, I see how those functions work. I just wonder about why it needs to know the phone number to which you are connected (or your own number for that matter), and worry about phrases like "without your confirmation".

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 10 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 10 2012, 04:37 PM) *
Yeah, I see how those functions work. I just wonder about why it needs to know the phone number to which you are connected (or your own number for that matter), and worry about phrases like "without your confirmation".

Permissions on Android are not fine-grained enough to specify "check whether a call is incoming but don't see any details about the call" or "only modify files with .chum extension in folder X", accordingly those warnings are boilerplate texts for what an app with this category of permissions COULD do, not what this app actually DOES. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 10 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #11

Former Member

QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 10 2012, 10:14 AM) *
Permissions on Android are not fine-grained enough to specify "check whether a call is incoming but don't see any details about the call" or "only modify files with .chum extension in folder X", accordingly those warnings are boilerplate texts for what an app with this category of permissions COULD do, not what this app actually DOES. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Doesn't change that my browser flagged the website as untrustworthy within a second of typing it into the address bar.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Dec 10 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

The app is supported by Pegasus (the German publisher, if you don't know them) and constantly being worked on. It's safe, but of course, you can panic all you want ^^
My browser sometimes flags some of the webcomics I read daily as untrustworthy ... it's often a problem with the ads they run. In general, caution is to be applauded, but in this case there's a mile long thread in the Pegasus forum that tells me it's alright (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 10 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 10 2012, 05:38 PM) *
Doesn't change that my browser flagged the website as untrustworthy within a second of typing it into the address bar.

What site, Play Store? Also, I tend to give not too much about blacklists, they are an indication at best...just about every server has probably been on one at some point.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 10 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #14

Former Member

QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 10 2012, 10:48 AM) *
What site, Play Store? Also, I tend to give not too much about blacklists, they are an indication at best...just about every server has probably been on one at some point.

Heck no. I tested the waters with my desktop first. After seeing that, I ain't touchin' it with a ten foot pole.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 10 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #15

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

play.google.com?

The official app store for Android?

-k

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 10 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 10 2012, 06:23 PM) *
Heck no. I tested the waters with my desktop first. After seeing that

Again, on which site did you see "that"?

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Dec 13 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Okay I am definitely liking DieDroid, wish it had saved pools though. Anything else recommended?

+Quote Post
Buccaneer
post Jan 7 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 16,206

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 10 2012, 05:38 PM) *

I suppose you write about the website given in the Play-Store? http://www.quintanion.net ?

As the developer of the Mobile Runner (and the website) I am very interested in the reason why your browser didn't like the website.
I know, the site is far away from good looking. But I know about no reason why it should be flagged as untrustworthy.
Which browser did you use and what causes the alert?

Greetings from Hamburg

Buc

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Jan 7 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Hello Buc, I'm using Firefox 17.0.1 and it didn't come up as flagged, of course I'm only using Windows 7 with the basic MS Security Essentials here at work though.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jan 7 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I use Dice Bag. Simple, clean, can be configured for Target numbers, and requires no permissions at all.

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Jan 9 2013, 05:25 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Heya Buccaner, is there a way you could include HeroLab import? I can get you several versions of the xml output from my character if you need something to reference.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.