IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions about Skillwires, Sheet auditing...Joy...
ZeroSpace
post Dec 12 2012, 04:45 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 56,131

So, in the 3E game I'm currently running, a player has frustrated me enough with how seemingly difficult it is to properly factor in stat adjustments from being a troll, so I've taken it upon myself to make sure the sheet is in fact kosher. The main thing I need to know is how skillwires work. I know you can't use a skillsoft at a higher rating than the wires, but what about the size of the skillsoft, and the storage capacity of the 'wires? Is it possible to run a 'soft if it's total size is greater than the capacity of the 'wires?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Dec 12 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

[Deleted - I missed the 3E tag]

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 12 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

No, the Skill-Soft has to fit into the Wire-Cache, else it can't be run.

+Quote Post
ZeroSpace
post Dec 13 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #4

Target

Figured that's how they worked.

On a related note, I've found that the player overspent on starting gear by half. His Sam/Decker/RiggerLite/KitchenSinkMan is gonna have to drop about 500k.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 13 2012, 02:04 AM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

Tell him to lose the skill-wires.
in my eyes not worth the essence/money hit . .
maximum starting resources are 1 Million.
i'd advise on using the NSRCG3 in my sig to make SR3 characters that are uniform enough to compare.

+Quote Post
ZeroSpace
post Dec 13 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Target

All his softs are rating 4, and giving him the minimum capacity in the wires to run them, he still need to lose another 450k to make his character kosher.

I swear, it's like his 1million limit never occurred to him, and he stopped taking stuff at char-gen because he ran out of things that he wanted.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 13 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Might be easier to start over, then.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 13 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Indeed, $500k is hard to cut.

Skillwires can be very handy -- but only for specific builds. What really makes (or breaks) it is the Chipjack Expert Driver. If he uses that, make sure you use the errataed version which caps it at rating 3.

+Quote Post
ZeroSpace
post Dec 14 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #9

Target

Nah, if he cuts the softs/wires and his Redbull Express drone that's well into negative load with a 30 Str mechanical arm, he'll cut a little over 500k. Along with the 75k Titanium Bone-lacing, it won't take too much effort.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 14 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

30str mechanical arm?
wat?
also, cutting stuff worth 500k for a tyxpe of rigger under SR3 basically means a complete rewrite usually . .

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Dec 14 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Oh, the 30 Str mechanical arm...that's taking me back :O

Are you sure the player didn't start his character on NSRCG, but on the "ULTRA EXXXTREME CHARACTER MODE" which can have starting cash values of more than a Million?

Also...a million, AND a Troll? that's like, uh, 20 skill/stat points left over, isn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Tir

OH god - challange, make a troll with million nuyen, and try to play them. Difficulty: not an ex-special forces commando adept.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 14 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

i always do that, what's so hard about that?
troll and magician, that one is hard to do <.<

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Dec 14 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

I must have missed something in the rules: What's that skill soft <-> skill wire rule and were is it in the books (I always found OP to buy a chipjack and have any skill you'd like. I must have been totally wrong.)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 14 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Yes, you were.
You need a Datajack to access skillsoft and Skillwires to use them.
Chipjack is only good for knowsoft/data stuff, not for skills.
And Skillsoft can not be used if the rating of the skillwire is lower than the rating of the skill.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Dec 14 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

And roughly, what's the cost in essence and nuyen for skillwires?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 14 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Depends.
They come in levels.
Essence and NuyenCost depends on Level.

But it goes from high(useless) to obscene(usefull)

Skillwires 1 with 3 MP Cache:
0,2Essence and 1500 Nuyen.

Skillwires 8 with 192 MP Cache
1,6Essence and 768000 Nuyen

You can double the cache for double the money and the same essence cost.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 14 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Tiralee @ Dec 14 2012, 10:23 AM) *
Oh, the 30 Str mechanical arm...that's taking me back :O

Are you sure the player didn't start his character on NSRCG, but on the "ULTRA EXXXTREME CHARACTER MODE" which can have starting cash values of more than a Million?

Also...a million, AND a Troll? that's like, uh, 20 skill/stat points left over, isn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Tir

OH god - challange, make a troll with million nuyen, and try to play them. Difficulty: not an ex-special forces commando adept.

i am, by now, in the process of doing just that.
and with skillwires to boot.
points are a bit slim, but using skillwires in a smart way, you won't need that many skill-points in the beginning.
a level 5 skillwire, expert driver level 3, a DNI-modified skillsoft jukebox and the datajack and chipjack and jukebox in a body compartment so nobody can get to it and you can change 15 level 5 skills on the fly with a thought using a free action.
and level 5 skill plus level 3 driver plus enhanced artwinculation means you have 15 skills with 9 dice in each at your disposal all the time!
use a multi slot chipjack and input more in there. or use more juke-boxes for even more selection of skills. not that you'd need it.
15 skills at 5-9 dice each is MUCH more than you can accomplish at start using skill points anyway . .
if you use things you get bonus dice for in the skillsoft it gets even better!
level 5 skillsoft, artwinculation, level 3 driver, math spu 3 and you have now 12 dice for computer tests.
level 5 soft, artwinculation, level 3 driver, synthacardium and you now have 11 dice in athletics.

+Quote Post
ZeroSpace
post Dec 15 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #18

Target

Well, I may have erred in saying he's a rigger in just about any sense. I called him a 'rigger-lite' earlier mainly because he decided to pick up a drone for some reason. Notable because I KNOW he doesn't have a remote deck to actually control the damned thing, so he gives it it's orders at home or wherever, and hopes for the best. And with the thing being overloaded with enough weight to have troubles getting off the ground... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 15 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

Ah, i see.

Well, in the challenge of making up a Troll using the 1 Million Ressources Option, i stumbled onto some questions about skillwires and softs and the such myself:

a) chipjack expert driver is per chipjack. but there are multi-slot-chipjacks. So, if i buy a 3 slot chipjack, to i need to have the driver 3 times as well?
b) where, actually, does one plug in a skillsoft jukebox? into a datajack or into a chipjack?
c) if i have a double slot chipjack with a level 3 expert driver, can i hook up 2 jukeboxes with 15 slots each and thus have 30 skills all getting the +3 dice from the expert driver of the chipjack the jukeboxes are presumeable plugged into?
d) if i want to control the jukebox via DNI, do i need to connect the jukebox to the datajack and the chipjack too?

+Quote Post
ZeroSpace
post Dec 16 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #20

Target

Hmm, I've got another quick question regarding wires. I would instantly lose access to a chipped skill the moment I removed the chip from my datajack, correct? Also, if I had enough headware memory, would it be possible to store the 'skillsoft' there and use it?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 16 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

Yes, if you have enough built in memory to store them, you can load them into your skillwires just fine for use.
And, technically, if i understand this whole stuff correctly, you would not lose access to the loaded skill by removing the chip.
The Skillsoft is, when in use, in the Wire-Cache if i am not mistaken here. Not sure about that one though.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 16 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #22

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

The way I've always played it:

Chips are loaded into the skillwire system's memory. Once it's loaded, you can remove the chip. So you can have one active, and another ready to go (in the jack).

The CED adds a pool only. The CED is installed once, basically to the skillwire system, (I've never seen anyone take multiple jacks), and is used, like a pool, among all of the loaded skills, regardless as to how they are loaded.

I believe, since the chipjack only permits knowsofts, but the datajack permits everything, must people just use a datajack and not a chipjack. Hence the DNI question is generally irrelevant.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 16 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

If people have to use a Datajack, then why is there a Chip-Jack-Expert-Driver to begin with?
If it can't be used on the DataJack then it's worthless and useless and badong because it's supposed to help with Skillsoft . .

btw, the troll with the 1 million ressources?
i ran out of money and had to sell some bioware to make ends meet <.<

+Quote Post
Link
post Dec 16 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

Chipjacks, unlike datajacks, can run data/knowsofts without any other 'ware.
QUOTE ("SR3 p296")
Knowsofts can be accessed with a chipjack, or with a knowsoft link (either piped through a datajack or from headware memory). A datajack alone cannot access a knowsoft because the data-jack cannot interpret it as anything more than data.
Datasofts can be accessed with a chipjack, display link or image link (accessing it from a datajack or headware memory).
A full skillwire system is required to use activesofts. The skillwire system can access activesofts from a chipjack, datajack or headware memory.

The CED is an accessory to the chipjack, btb it seems a chipjack with CED and jukebox is the best set up.
QUOTE ("M&M p19")
CED; This accessory must be purchased separately for each chipjack.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 16 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

so ..
sudo get
datjack
chipjack 2-slot
chipjack expert driver
skillwires
dni modded jukebox
connect jukebox to slot 1 of chipjack and datajack
insert chips into jukebox and switch skills via free action/thought and all of the maximum of 16 skills(15 in jukebox 1 in other chipjack slot) get the bonus dice from the expert driver system.
and if you have the correct skill and other augmentations, such as, say, the athletics skill at 5, synthacardium and enchanced artwinculation and level 3 expert driver, you end up with . . 5+3+2+1=11 dice for athletics? O.o

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.