Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun dungeon crawls.
Anymage
post Apr 21 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,551

One thing that really drives me up a wall about Shadowrun, especially lately, is the utter dearth of entry-level products. The novice GM is expected to grok metaplot, balance, pay rate, setting, etc. all on his own. Very tricky, and very unpleasant.

I want to get some friends started in Shadowrun soon. However, I am far from the must-own-every-book type (I want to run things with the BBB and only the BBB). I'm absolutely horrible at winging the whole fragging world, though, and want to make them shadowrunners, not fantasy heroes or random citizens of the sixth world.

Out of the published Shadowrun newbie products, only the Quick Start Guide has anything close; First Run has one interesting scene, one piece of metaplot wanking drek, and one overly open-ended and non-shadowrunny plot. The adventures on the main site are even worse, being simple advertisements that have none of the information a novice would need to get into the game at all.

So what I'm looking for are dungeon crawls. Plain, simple, unashamed-of-it dungeon crawls. Primarily site-based runs complete with maps, stats, and basic troubleshooting that have little or nothing to do with metaplot and Shadowrun's constant self-referencing. Slow and basic introductions into the world of shadowrun and what it is to be a shadowrunner, so I can focus on just knowing the site well enough to improvise and not have to completely change tracks when the group wants to go raise hell in the barrens. And with a shallow enough learning curve so that I can have the basics under my belt before throwing shedim-possessed, orichalcum-laced great dragon cyberzombies at them.

So are there any good, basic entry-level products/adventures out there, and if so, where can I find them?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Apr 21 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Try and get them as a rescue party to some research installation that's working on the cutting edge of genetic research. The medium? Those big mantis things... Something mantis. Something a la Aliens works wonders. Still creep out my buddies from that one.

Don

PS. Play around with the metaphors, so what happens in the movie happens later in the game.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 21 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

your best bet, really, is to convert the old SR1 and 2 runs.

+Quote Post
Anymage
post Apr 21 2004, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 5,551

QUOTE (mfb)

...which are inconveniently out of print, and as Kazaa is practically a virus at this point, where would I find these without having to invest premium collector time and prices?

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Apr 21 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Used bins. Lots of them here still have copies of Harlequin and Harlequin's Back (on the list for next month).

Failing that, check out the novels 1-19 and just come up with something. Can't really think of a prepared dungeon crawl at the moment.

Don

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 21 2004, 10:54 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

You could try and convert some stuff from other systems. Spycraft might have some stuff for about the right setting that could be converted.

You could even run a direct D&D adventure-> SR adventure conversion by transforming all the orcs with crosbows in the cave to smugglers with ARs and SMG.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 21 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

kazaa lite. not that i condone the downloading and distribution of out-of-print gaming materials.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 21 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

There's always E-bay. Lots of old modules go for <$8.

+Quote Post
lspahn72
post Apr 21 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 5,975

QUOTE (Anymage)
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 21 2004, 04:26 AM)

...which are inconveniently out of print, and as Kazaa is practically a virus at this point, where would I find these without having to invest premium collector time and prices?

I have found as many as 10 out of print book on Ebay for $25. The pic shows pretty good shape....I think they were leftovers taht someone bought at auctions. Not fans...

And Remeber, we all know how nice it is to just run to a P2P product and download, but if we download this stuff they wil stop making it! FASA already went under...Lets support Fanpro!

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 21 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I love the idea:
"The room is 30' by 20' and 10' high, dug into the same dull grey stone as all the rest in the cave. There are two exits: the one you're standing in and one directly opposite, a 8' x 4' arch where a security door sits. In the back left corner there is a pile of bones and shell casings covered in spider webs. There is a steady "drop drop" sound of some waste materials leaking through the stone from the factory above into the corridor behind you. There are no light sources except a green "Exit" light above the security door. In front of the door there are 3 Ork Cyberzombies with MMGs on gyromounts and their Great Dragon pet. What do you do?"

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 21 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Breathe a sigh of relief that you sent the drone in first?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 21 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Order a Shadowrun Mission.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Apr 21 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

shrug of the bullets with your ultra-munched armor/body stats, go up to the dragon and tear its heart out with your dicoted teeth.

+Quote Post
Kakkaraun
post Apr 21 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,548

Yes. Because Wizkids will surely reprint Silver Angel and DNA-DOA and Missing Blood and...

Oh wait. No, they won't. It isn't a great thing to DL current products, but when something's ancient, and not likely to be reprinted, and you don't want to buy it on eBay (because there, the original company isn't getting anything anyway), I don't see a problem.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 21 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #15

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

DNA/DOA was the shiznit!

Genetic experiments? Check!

Spooky atmosphere? Check!

Canon vampire with a full load of working cyberware that has never been contradicted by any rules book? Check!

Parties tombstones ready? Check!

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Apr 21 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

A GM in my group was thinking about doing an open-ended dungeon-crawl-esque campaign. The idea was that some kind of very large corporate asset buried deep in the heart of (insert inhospitable area) had recently, and precipitously, been abandoned. Around the entrance to the mountain/cave/dome/etc. a small shadow town had sprung up (a la gold-rush boom towns). The town is a self-organized, anarchic entity. Enter the players. They can run the caves for pay data and gear, ambush folks who run the caves, serve folks who run the caves in the town, etc. etc. This kind of run setting, though untraditional, is a great way to explore the facets of the SR system, as well as pick up some non-char-gen goodies before heading back to the mean streets of Seattle.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 21 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Anymage)
So what I'm looking for are dungeon crawls. Plain, simple, unashamed-of-it dungeon crawls.

Renraku Arcology: Shutdown.

And yes, I did ignore the rest of your post for that suggestion. Going to read it over and see if I can come up with a serious suggestion now, but for unashamed-of-it dungeon crawls, you can't beat RA:S.

~J

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Apr 21 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Based on the principle that "a good dungeon crawl is one you can walk away from," I don't know if RA:S is a good crawl.... :-)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 21 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

RA:S is an excellent dungeon crawl.*

~J

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 21 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (BitBasher)
DNA/DOA was the shiznit!

Genetic experiments? Check!

Spooky atmosphere? Check!

Canon vampire with a full load of working cyberware that has never been contradicted by any rules book? Check!

Parties tombstones ready? Check!

Agreed!

Don't forget:

Spray can that can turn Plasteel 7 into bubble gum? Check!

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Apr 21 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #21

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

For 1st and 2nd edition runs, you can find several NEW books for sale for HALF PRICE on StiggyBaby.com. (Divided Assets, Celtic Double Cross, Dark Angel, Elven Fire, Imago, Total Eclipse, Queen Euphoria, and Dream Chipper). Some $4.

Here's the FASA Shadowrun list on StiggyBaby.
Just to be fair, here is the FanPro Shadowrun list. (Support our publisher and your local game store!)

Tips on using a 1st edition adventure:
Ignore Damage Codes like 5M3 listed in the adventure, and instead use what's printed for the same gear in 3rd edition. Treat a skill like "Firearms" as the appropriate shooting skill for any type of firearm on the character, the same for "Armed Combat". Treat a spell like "Heal Severe Wound" as just "Heal". Treat any Etiquette skill (Street, Corporate, etc.) as simply Etiquette.

Replace all Decking to gather information (done as a dungeon-crawl in 1st edition) with a simple roll of <Computer + MPCP> vs. TN of your choice. Make it easy or hard for them to get information from the Matrix as needed for the purposes of your adventure.

+Quote Post
MrSandman666
post Apr 21 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,270

[ Spoiler ]

I did play the first few adventures of Brainscan and Harlekin (not Harlekin's Back, mind you) with a group of absolute greenhorns and it went just smoooooth. 8) Of course, both of those campaigns become pretty though once you're about three runs into the book but if you run the two campaigns paralell (which works quite well up to a certain point from which you have to decide which one to pursue further) you should have a fairly good idea of shadowrun to lead it from there, I think. You could drop both campaigns and do something completely new or drop one campaing and finish the other or you could put one campaign on hold while finishing the other and then return to finish the first one.
Both campaigns are fairly well written and really help a new GM to get some experience. However, I strongly recomend to not run any campaign of the two on its own since the learning curve will get pretty steep then.
I bet you could also use two different campaigns but I've already succesfully tried those two.

Another good source for inspiration is Blackjack's Homepage.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Apr 21 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

As an alternative to the spyware/adware-ridden Kazaa, you might want to try WinMX.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 21 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Req
post Apr 21 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 277

Now is when I post something about Artificer. 8)

On a serious note, we've been gearing up for the Arc for some time. There's just enough clues lying around (and information the PCs have that they don't yet know is related) that it'll really get 'em going when they're inside for a meet and the doors come down... :)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.