> Stupid Piloting Question
yesferatu
post Jan 9 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,916

Hey guys,

So my vehicle rigger just picked up a helicopter.
I'm terrified of getting hacked.

What can I do to protect my new ride from matrix attacks?
I'm piloting the old fashioned way - Synaptic Boosters and rank 6 pilot...does flying it in the meat protect me at all?
Can you even fly without an active node?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Turn off Wireless Access to the Chopper. Simple. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Jan 9 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Manual control override upgradea in Arsenal is made for that.
Also upgrade the firewall on your chopper, decrease the signal (use of those directional signal boosters when you need to remote rig it) and load it up with a hefty IC.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 9 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Manual control override upgradea in Arsenal is made for that.
Also upgrade the firewall on your chopper, decrease the signal (use of those directional signal boosters when you need to remote rig it) and load it up with a hefty IC.

If you are manually flying, there is no reason to have any Wireless signal at all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Jan 9 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Having the option to remote call your helicopter to pick you up, is going to be useful eventually.
Murphy's law and all.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jan 9 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

You can also stick a commlink somewhere in the helicopter to broadcast an Access ID for your helicopter while you've got its own wireless disabled. Program it to broadcast whatever a helicopter might when you're in areas where you've gotta broadcast an Access ID, and the only way anyone will know it's not really your helicopter is if they do hack it.

If you're cybered out, install a datajack so you can get a DNI connection to the helicopter for rigged flight. If not, skinlink your PAN gear (with all of its wireless disabled) and plug your commlink into the helicopter and still get the wired DNI.

Also don't forget about the Nonstandard Wireless Link (Unwired, page 196) and Encrypt software for if you ever do have to fly it wirelessly, in addition to the mentioned node defenses.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Jan 9 2013, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

As a rigger?

Disable the Wireless of yoru vehicle's node. Then slave and hard-wire the Vehicle node to a new commlink, that you in turn load with the un-friendliest IC you can get your paws on.

I suggest a Singularity Battle Buddy Basic (Response 5, Signal 5); install System 5 and Firewall 6 software on it.

Then, add hardware Optimisation for Analyse. Get the highest rating Analyse you can run on it - Analyse 5 if nothign else, but primo wouldbe Analyse 8 (Optimised +3). Get one with the Ergonomic program option, if you can.

Assuming you can get the best of the best? Anyoen trying to hack in first faces a Firewall of 6, so, an Admin account carries a threshold of 12. Meanwhile, it's rolling 15 dice (Firewall 6, plus Analyse 8, +1 die for Optimisation) to detect the intrusion attempt. Once they're inside, they get jumped byt he IC; I would recomment something like a Renraku Oniwaban (R5), backed up by a Transys Florence (R5).

The net result should be that any one dumb enough to try and hack in, winds up dead.

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Jan 9 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

It's just always been my experience that any device that can be hacked WILL be hacked.
In a world where your eyes can get hijacked, I don't trust any level of cyber security.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Jan 9 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 43,494

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 9 2013, 10:15 PM) *
As a rigger?

Disable the Wireless of yoru vehicle's node. Then slave and hard-wire the Vehicle node to a new commlink, that you in turn load with the un-friendliest IC you can get your paws on.

I suggest a Singularity Battle Buddy Basic (Response 5, Signal 5); install System 5 and Firewall 6 software on it.

Then, add hardware Optimisation for Analyse. Get the highest rating Analyse you can run on it - Analyse 5 if nothign else, but primo wouldbe Analyse 8 (Optimised +3). Get one with the Ergonomic program option, if you can.

Assuming you can get the best of the best? Anyoen trying to hack in first faces a Firewall of 6, so, an Admin account carries a threshold of 12. Meanwhile, it's rolling 15 dice (Firewall 6, plus Analyse 8, +1 die for Optimisation) to detect the intrusion attempt. Once they're inside, they get jumped byt he IC; I would recomment something like a Renraku Oniwaban (R5), backed up by a Transys Florence (R5).

The net result should be that any one dumb enough to try and hack in, winds up dead.

Dont forget the R6 Pavlow Biofeedback 6P Psychotropic (Severe Phobia: Data Bombs) Data Bomb.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 9 2013, 02:25 PM) *
Dont forget the R6 Pavlow Biofeedback 6P Psychotropic (Severe Phobia: Data Bombs) Data Bomb.

Problem is that if you do not see the Data Bomb, you can hardly be afraid of it. In that case, a Severe Phobia (Matrix) works much better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Jan 9 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Oh, I live in constant fear of data bombs.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Jan 9 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 10:29 PM) *
Problem is that if you do not see the Data Bomb, you can hardly be afraid of it. In that case, a Severe Phobia (Matrix) works much better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Right, that is even better.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 09:47 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 9 2013, 02:35 PM) *
Oh, I live in constant fear of data bombs.

They are pretty vicious. Which is why any GOOD hacker always checks for them (so you take a pass to check, big deal). Sucks to run into one unawares, especially a powerful one. It is entertaining how many people do not check, though.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Jan 9 2013, 09:52 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

I prefer things like "Severe Phobia (Fuschia)".

And then make all the icons on my commlink incorporate that color.

Go on, HACK me again ... I dare you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Jan 9 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Reality Filter deals with that. To Hackers, a R6 Data Bomb (without options) is inconvienient - to a TM, it is deadly.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Jan 9 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 9 2013, 10:29 PM) *

A phobia is a irrational fear of a certain phenomenon, condition or object.
So... worrying about databombs in your drink would qualify, and be kinda great.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 9 2013, 02:55 PM) *
Reality Filter deals with that. To Hackers, a R6 Data Bomb (without options) is inconvienient - to a TM, it is deadly.

Yes, with NO options, it is inconvenient.
But if you have a Psychotropic and Biofeedback (particularly this one) option on it, it can kill the Hacker just as easily.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Jan 9 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

6P damage vs WIL+Biofeedback and 5P Dumpshock vs WIL (no Biofeedback bc. 'link crashed) should not kill a decent hacker, but bring him down to 1-2 HP if he has at least BOD 3.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 9 2013, 03:02 PM) *
6P damage vs WIL+Biofeedback and 5P Dumpshock vs WIL (no Biofeedback bc. 'link crashed) should not kill a decent hacker, but bring him down to 1-2 HP if he has at least BOD 3.

It will if he keeps trying to hack your Link.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Jan 9 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 9 2013, 04:55 PM) *
Reality Filter deals with that.

Not necessarily.

A Reality Filter can impose a particular paradigm, sure. But it's not necesarily going to go about changing colors willy-nilly.

So your "Feudal Japan" reality filter? Just changes my commlink's Tron-esque lookin node into a Feudal Japanese castle ro villa. With gardens brimming over with fuschia flowers; the patrolling Samurai now wears a black kimono embroidered with fuschia chrysanthemums. The paper doors are each adorned with a large kanji in fuschia ink. Etc.

Or, if you have a "Fat Albert" cartoon Filter? Fuschia graffiti on the walls, fuschia curtains in the windows, a big shaggy fuschia carpet in the entrance hall, and the burly bouncer lounging around on the front stoop is wearing a black-and-fuschia "Blaxploitation pimp" outfit.

Got a thing for WW2? Great, now it's a military post .... the flag is a swastika on fuschia instead of red. And the soldier guarding the front door, is in an SS officer's uniform, black head to toe .... with fuschia branch and rank insignia, pistol belt, boots, etc ...

See the problem, there? Each time, yes the paradigm shifts. But that doesn't necessarily mean the color palette shifts, too.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Jan 9 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Well, if it is MY programmed reality filter, and i have a phobia against fuchsia, then fuchsia will never show if my paradigma wins. Anything other makes no sense. If nothing else helps, what about a 1920s TV paradigma? Black and White.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Jan 9 2013, 10:31 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

It takes a long time to program a Reality Filter.

So of the Data Bomb goes off, and you have the phobia ... right then and there, even your Film Noir? Now instead of black-and-whtie, it's fuschia-and-white, and doesn't life just suck for you?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 9 2013, 03:31 PM) *
It takes a long time to program a Reality Filter.

So of the Data Bomb goes off, and you have the phobia ... right then and there, even your Film Noir? Now instead of black-and-whtie, it's fuschia-and-white, and doesn't life just suck for you?

Indeed... the mind boggling detail that needs to be incorporated into a good reality filter is simply amazing.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Jan 9 2013, 10:36 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Well, replace programmed with configured, makes more sense.
Also, Data Bomb goes off, 'Link crashes. No Fuchsia, only Dumpshock. And if i configure my Reality filter afterwards to remove fuchsia from everything, and my paradigma wins, then there is no fuchsia in "my" view of the matrix. If you could change my paradigma, you either hacked/compromised my link, or the program is very useless, because it cannot do what it should.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Jan 9 2013, 10:47 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

No, as a GM, I would step on any such "I reconfigure my reality filter" stuff like that.

You buy a filter, and that's what you have. If you want to change it, you reprogram it, or buy a new one.

Now, if you get dumped,a nd do not immediately try to hack back in ... great. You can reprogram your Reality Filter (should take a few days at most), and it'll screen out Fuschia just fine. Meanwhile, I get what I want: you're out, and you choose to STAY out. See how that works?

OF course, by then, I may have also reprogrammed my Data Bomb, and now it imposes a Severe Phobia of "round things". So blocking Fuschia might not be all that useful after all. Nor will you know in advance (without some stellar legwork) to change your reality filter to remvoe rundness, and put everythign in Minecraft-like blocky graphics.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.