> Scandinavian Union
mister__joshua
post Jan 16 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241

I once again seek information

One of my players wants to make a character from Norway. I've had a scan around and I can't find much info on the region. The Almanac has nothing. All I found was a couple of sentences on the Shadowrun wikia saying they were in the Scandinavian Union with Sweden, Denmark and Finland, and that this info was from Shadows over Europe. Is there any more information floating about anywhere that I could look into? Is it worth downloading Shadows over Europe or is that all it says?

Any help appreciated

Josh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Jan 16 2013, 11:50 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Pretty much Shadows of Europe is your go-to here, and yes, the book is totally worth it (and deserves an update that probably will never happen).

The ScandUnion was created pretty much as a response to the corporate landgrab of the early 21st century, out of mutual protection and business. It's heavily anti-corporate, but getting pressured into adopting more and more of the Business Accords. The Wireless Matrix Initiative started here (and was the subject of much running back in the mid-60s) and it's home to Oslo, one of the THE cities for cutting edge tech and cyber. Erika and Maersk are the two biggest corps here, with home court advantage.

Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Jan 16 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

The Scandinavion Union has its own chapter in SoE, with 17 pages, taking a look at the overall Union, then divided into Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden. Generally it's corporations, places of interest, and a bit of blurb about the shadows.
It also spotlights the wireless matrix initiative a bit.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 16 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #4

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

There's also a non-canon file floating around from way back that was the basis for the ScandUnion from SoE. It can be found with some googling. Not all of what's in there meshes with canon, but if you don't want to shell out money for an SoE download it's a usable alternative, I think; plus, it details the place a lot more than SoE had the opportunity to.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Jan 16 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 16 2013, 01:14 PM) *
There's also a non-canon file floating around from way back that was the basis for the ScandUnion from SoE. It can be found with some googling. Not all of what's in there meshes with canon, but if you don't want to shell out money for an SoE download it's a usable alternative, I think; plus, it details the place a lot more than SoE had the opportunity to.

This: http://www.oocities.org/hollywood/3335/source.html

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Jan 16 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 19,241

Cheers all. I'll take a look

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Jan 16 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

QUOTE (Larsine @ Jan 16 2013, 01:44 PM) *

This get my wholehearted Scandinavian seal of approval, they actually know shit about just what the hell they're talking about!
The Denmark development is spot on!
and the Sami development aswell, their situation actually mirrors the native americans more then you'd think.
It mirrors a lot of our history but yes, it definitely feels Scandinavian.

Also Erika... Ericsson-Nokia, mind blown.

Btw if you got any questions about RL Scandinavia and life here, I'll be happy to oblige... Although I'm not so familiar with Norway as the other countries

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.