Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Augmentation using Magical Foci, Golem-Tech and Bone Runes
Jizmack
post Jan 28 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,151

I was reading the D20 Modern system book, CyberScape, and saw an alternative application of cyberware described as magically animated material used as prosthetics.
I was wondering if there are any Shadowrun 4E rules anywhere allowing augmentation of mundanes using magical foci implants.
Another method would be to use a person’s body parts (tissue, organs, bones, etc.) as the bases for magical foci that confer physical or mental enhancements.
I know Adept powers are a kind of “magical augmentation”, but I am specifically asking for a direct replacement of normal (high-tech) augmentation for a mundane with some form of permanent magical augmentation.

I thank all in advance for any feedback and references.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 28 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Mundanes cannot bond Foci at all...
Maybe if you were using Unique Enchantements (Digital Grinoire).

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Jan 28 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

You could get a spirit to possess your prosthetic (damn that's a hard word) limb I suppose

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 28 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 28 2013, 03:56 PM) *
You could get a spirit to possess your prosthetic (damn that's a hard word) limb I suppose

Only if you are adept at Calling and Negotiating. Maybe your Mage friend could do that for you, assuming he is a possession Tradition, but I do not think it works that way. Either an Object is possessed (At which point the Object benefits from the Spirit's Force (potentially)) or the Person himself is possessed, in which his body benefits, but is controlled by the spirit. Either way, the Mundane gets no real benefit from that arrangement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jizmack
post Jan 28 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,151

Thanks for the reference to Digital Grimoire. It does indeed allow the possibility of using foci to permanently augment a mundane.
“…immediately bonds with anyone who holds it, magician or mundane, without having to pay Karma or perform a bonding ritual and they gain the benefit of the focus immediately.” – page 9

Now my next question is would such magical augmentation cost Essence? Is a “Mana-Borg” just as less human as a Cyborg? The rules would say that no Essence would be lost, if I read them correctly. If so, then I would imagine the big corps would be experimenting with such Mana-Tech.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jan 29 2013, 01:06 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

This sounds like you are moving into Cyberzombie/mancy territory. What is it you are hoping to achieve? Most mundanes have no use for foci and weapon foci have to be an actual weapon. You can't get foci bonuses for unarmed combat. So cyber spurs as foci? You can already do that if you want.
Or are you trying to get all the benefits of cyberware without paying the cost? This is a cyberpunk genre game. Power is supposed to come with a price.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jan 29 2013, 01:13 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jan 28 2013, 08:06 PM) *
This is a cyberpunk genre game. Power is supposed to come with a price.

Spot on. Getting your arm chopped off and replaced with an artifical one costs Essence, regardless of whether the prosthesis is mechanical or magically animated.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 29 2013, 01:19 AM
Post #8

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

The device described in the Grimoire is a unique item, and very powerful to boot. Seeing as anyone can use it, everyone would want it. You'd have to be some kind of nasty to hang on to it for any length of time.

Implants may not be as visible, but they would be as attractive. I don't see how an implant, even one made magical, would not cost Essence. Essence loss is about: having part of your whole self being replaced by something unnatural; mentally dealing with the loss of your person for power; buying into the addictive viscious circle of more, more, more.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 30 2013, 01:10 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Well... Clonal Parts do not cost essence. So, grow a clonal part (enchanting it as it grows, prior to implantation) and then implant it. *shrug*
Not something I would allow, personally, but that is a simple solution to the question of an Implant that costs no Essence... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jan 30 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Of course said part would have no enhancements beyond whatever the enchantment gave. What would you do? Quicken a bunch of Increase Attribute spells to it before implanting? Seems like you would be better off just quickening or anchoring those spells to you so they effect the whole body rather than just a part. Clonal parts are just replacements for what you already have. A clonal arm is no better than your regular arm, has no capacity and can't be modified in any way beyond what your regular could be.
I also would not allow this sort of thing in game. Like I said, seems more like someone is trying to step around the essence cost cyberware.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jan 30 2013, 02:47 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jan 29 2013, 09:03 PM) *
Of course said part would have no enhancements beyond whatever the enchantment gave. What would you do? Quicken a bunch of Increase Attribute spells to it before implanting? Seems like you would be better off just quickening or anchoring those spells to you so they effect the whole body rather than just a part. Clonal parts are just replacements for what you already have. A clonal arm is no better than your regular arm, has no capacity and can't be modified in any way beyond what your regular could be.
I also would not allow this sort of thing in game. Like I said, seems more like someone is trying to step around the essence cost cyberware.

alternate solution:

step 1: augment character as per normal with cyber/bio/nano/gene/whatever-ware, following the exact same rules in every way.
step 2: say "it's magic" (making funny sounds and/or waving your hands around optional).
step 3: proceed to continue to treat it in every way the same as normal rules for non-magical versions of what the player has. every now and then, remind the player that it is, however, magical.

there you have it: magical enhancements for the mundane. problem solved.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jan 30 2013, 04:25 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 29 2013, 09:47 PM) *
alternate solution:

step 1: augment character as per normal with cyber/bio/nano/gene/whatever-ware, following the exact same rules in every way.
step 2: say "it's magic" (making funny sounds and/or waving your hands around optional).
step 3: proceed to continue to treat it in every way the same as normal rules for non-magical versions of what the player has. every now and then, remind the player that it is, however, magical. Have the implant become inert every time the owner passes through a ward. Magical implants must be serviced by a magician to be reactivated.

Fixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jan 30 2013, 05:52 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 29 2013, 06:47 PM) *
alternate solution:

step 3: proceed to continue to treat it in every way the same as normal rules for non-magical versions of what the player has. every now and then, remind the player that it is, however, magical.

Actually laughed out loud. Nice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.