IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character motivation - power/influence, Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but it absolutely rocks.
Chimera
post Feb 5 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,815

I will soon be playing in a game with a hermetic magician character; formerly a trauma surgeon, now a street doc/shadowrunner. His magical and other wise skill set is set around medicine and coercion manipulation, with his primary motivation the acquisition of power (think Dr. House crossed with Raistlin).

Obviously personal power is straight-forward enough to plan for and come by (magical Initiation, obtaining foci, and so on), but what I'm looking for is ideas on how to extend power and influence. Setting himself as someone with control over others in a fashion beyond simply controlling a local street gang or chop shop. My vision is that the character sees money/equipment as a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself (e.g. get rich, cover your tracks, retire on some island somewhere). I'm realistic that any scheming or planning won't be the focus of the campaign, but I'm interested if anyone has ideas of what a magically-inclined character with dreams of being the one pulling the strings in The Grand Game might invest his time/money/influence/contacts in.

I realize its a severely open-ended statement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Feb 5 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (Chimera @ Feb 5 2013, 03:17 PM) *
I'm interested if anyone has ideas of what a magically-inclined character with dreams of being the one pulling the strings in The Grand Game might invest his time/money/influence/contacts in.

A decent funeral. The bigger you are, the bigger a target you are. The big boys don't take kindly to people pushing in on their turf.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Skarablood
post Feb 6 2013, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 70,659

Imho: Acquiring loyal contacts, making a name for himself, gathering money and gear would be a characters aims if he wants to become one of the big players.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 6 2013, 12:42 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

I'll use my skills to save your child's life, but at some time, someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me...

+Quote Post
focke
post Feb 6 2013, 02:26 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 18,960

For a mage, you might think about trying to start your own initiation group. One that you, and you alone control. You'll have to start small and move slowly, otherwise the powers that be may take you as a threat, and kill you or subvert you.

This, with giving out health care for favors later could greatly increase your influence.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 6 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Selling your soul to powerful alien entities is always a popular option

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Feb 6 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

You mean Horrors? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

~Umi

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 6 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

or insects or a free spirit with a nasty streak or ... Hm, what dragon accept souls as a currency? Probably the one behind Aztlan

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Feb 8 2013, 05:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (Chimera @ Feb 5 2013, 09:17 PM) *
I will soon be playing in a game with a hermetic magician character; formerly a trauma surgeon, now a street doc/shadowrunner. His magical and other wise skill set is set around medicine and coercion manipulation, with his primary motivation the acquisition of power (think Dr. House crossed with Raistlin).

Obviously personal power is straight-forward enough to plan for and come by (magical Initiation, obtaining foci, and so on), but what I'm looking for is ideas on how to extend power and influence. Setting himself as someone with control over others in a fashion beyond simply controlling a local street gang or chop shop. My vision is that the character sees money/equipment as a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself (e.g. get rich, cover your tracks, retire on some island somewhere). I'm realistic that any scheming or planning won't be the focus of the campaign, but I'm interested if anyone has ideas of what a magically-inclined character with dreams of being the one pulling the strings in The Grand Game might invest his time/money/influence/contacts in.

I realize its a severely open-ended statement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Special skill... Shadow Politics. Learn how to play others off of one another. While people are asleep on the table, they are potential victim to any number subliminal options. Get a "Programmed Illusion" spell to provide apparent waiting room music, all the while the spell is dumping sub-audio suggestions at people....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.