Mach_Ten
post Feb 19 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,521

just to re-iterate SR3

So, here's the scenario:

some evil bastard has taken a tin opener to the van and prized the rigger out of his cocoon kicking and screaming into the burny burny daylight.

What happens now? I mean, the Rigger has a VCR impant (rating 2) and his RCD in his hands
and his drones are ready to go, (fire extinguishers in cyber hand).

but now he has to WALK places .. and get into the line of fire and ... "OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODITBURNSNADI'MSCARED"

Now if a rigger "Jumps In" to a drone
while attempting to walk and breathe and all at the same time, what happens ?
is he a zombie and needs to be carried around by the Troll like some invalid or can he actually act in meat space while controlling a drone ?

or what?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 19 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Same was with a Decker.
You slump to the ground.
It's ASIST. A +8TN to all actions you try to accomplish with your meatybody.
That's the difference between jumping in and remote-control-operations.

+Quote Post
Mach_Ten
post Feb 19 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 19 2013, 12:19 PM) *
Same was with a Decker.
You slump to the ground.
It's ASIST. A +8TN to all actions you try to accomplish with your meatybody.
That's the difference between jumping in and remote-control-operations.

/em crawls back into my van and slams the lid shut (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 19 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

basically.
why would you want to jump into a drone anyway?
remote control means no dumpshock as far as i know.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 19 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #5

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Stahlsteele is correct. The other option for the rigger is Captain's Chair mode which, if I understand it correctly, would not totally override his walking and shooting and such. (It would just eat up all of his actions as he manages his drones.)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 19 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 19 2013, 08:32 AM) *
why would you want to jump into a drone anyway?
remote control means no dumpshock as far as i know.

It also means no skills (drone rolls Pilot plus softs if available) and no pool (except Adaptation Pool, if your character is fabulously wealthy enough to have a robot).

As Nezumi notes, Captain's Chair permits meatspace action (it doesn't even require a VCR, just a datajack or 'trodes). My usual approach to that sort of situation is to try to set up some quickly-triggerable command sets along the lines of "suppressive fire on the alley" or "shoot out the windows and then attack anything that moves" (if you have enough Sensors and Clearsight to be confident of the drone getting enough successes on its Active or Passive sensor tests to positively recognize things you can start being more specific). There's really no replacement for being jumped in; IMO Captain's Chair is mostly for either people without VCRs or for using while you're jumped into a primary drone to control the other drones.

~J

+Quote Post
Mach_Ten
post Feb 19 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Yup that's pretty much what I was hoping for it to NOT be ... cheers for the clarification folks.

Strange that despite being able to captains chair other drones you can't command your own legs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oooooh I wonder, could you Rigger Adapt your own body ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Maybe one for the SR5 wishlist then ?

you only get your own physical initiatives in meatspace (no benefit from the VCR)

But via your visor or cyber eyes or whatever give you an AR or overlay or HUD with Picture-in-Picture
- this gives you the benefit of the extra IP's and skills etc. for the one drone only.

so if the shit hits the fan you can still walk an talk while laying down drone suppressive fire or whatever.

maybe even a new Cyber or Bioware
- separated cortex
: left brain controls meatsack, right brain controls drones etc.

I don't think that is too OP ?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 19 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

rigging your own body can be done via way of exoskeleton.
yes, this exists in SR3. and it is awesome. the jym suit or something like that.
hardened armor, str, bod and qck of 7 or so . .

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Feb 22 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

I think it was JIM-Exoskeleton, and yeah it was fun (usually used for deep-sea exploring and as such: totally legal)
In SR4 you could use an "Iron Will", yes? Can't remember the book it was in... and it wasn't that awesome.

The rigger in my game usually is in a rigger-cocoon on a medi-drone (The medium-sized one which it said it can carry a man) and it carries him around. Not that it's TOTALLY suspicious...

And yes, he once asked me if it could just climb a tree with him. (It didn't say it couldn't)... i said no.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.