IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do your teams make their getaways?
sunnyside
post Mar 4 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

Seems like we haven't had this as a topic yet.

Anyway as the title says I'm curious what sort of getaways your teams have made. What is your "plan A" or "plan B" for getting away after a run? What have been some particularly fun getaways? Do your teams not really make getaways because by the end of the run you've obliterated your foes so you're free to saunter off?

I'm also curious about the nature of the opposition your teams face in getting away. For example does your team rigger have a blast with car chases because the team piles into the van, takes off, and then the opposition is the LS/KE equivalent of Boss Hogg sending Rosco and Cletus after you in a pair of cars?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 4 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Split up and run/drive as fast and as far as possible, hide, wait, see what happens, meet up and then deal with stuff.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 5 2013, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Plan the exfil route, using appropriate Knowledge skills.

Various modes of transportation. Walk, drive, even take public transport.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 5 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

An old list of plan status
Depending on the nature of the run and how well it's going, extraction plans range from 'Drive calmly away in different directions, meet up later at rally point X' to 'Oh S*&%! Rigger, come in guns blazing and get as many of us as possible the drek out of here!'
Of late, extraction via stealth helicopter seems to be a favorite method of leaving the scene, though I believe that more often than not it's because an opposition team had arrived in said helicopter and we'd scrapped our own extraction plan in favor of adding a new asset to our arsenal. obviously we need to jam its wireless transmissions and either jack in or drive it manually while the rest of the team starts sweeping for the hundreds of RFID tags the things tend to carry, but it still improves our profit margin dramatically.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Mar 5 2013, 03:35 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Maybe I should be asking if escapes are a "falling action" kind of thing. One where that part of the run is relatively easy.

Hurm, now that I say it, I suppose it makes sense that would be the case.

Actually it occurs to me that in a lot of video games they outright skip the escape, you accomplish the big deal thing and then poof, the hoards of nasties that were after you just decide to go home or something. Or there is a cut to the characters flying away with the obvious implication being that they escaped, but it wasn't interesting enough to show.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Mar 5 2013, 03:46 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

For us the get away depends on how well we did with the rest of run. If we got in quiet and did what needed doing without setting off alarms or at least suppressing any alarms we do set off, then the escape can be as easy as just driving or walking off. If we screw up somewhere and set off an alarm, then the get away is whatever gets us out of there the fastest. Could be co-opting the oppositions chopper or their APC. Could be ducking into the sewers and hoofing it to safety. Basically, if we got in and out quiet, then the getaway is basically ignored as you see in your video game example sunnyside. If we mess up, it can end up being a movie style car/chopper/foot race type escape.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 5 2013, 06:07 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Ideally, we get the security guards to help us load our objective in our truck and calmly drive out. But we have blown holes in walls with breaching charges under fire and run like hell a time or two.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Mar 5 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

If all goes well... walk, drive, or make our way out calmly and quickly. If all goes poorly... flay away on dragon (drake) wings, oh and our troll can run at something close to 60mph, so he just hoofs it.

-D

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 5 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Ares Roadmaster. Perfect for sedate or "OMG THE METROPLEX GUARD IS AFTER US!!!"

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Mar 5 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Walk a few blocks down, have the decker kill the overwatch cameras, dump jumpsuits and Predators into trash can, pop thermite, walk calmly away.

The best evidence is no evidence.

So far, I've let them get away with this, but if it becomes a pattern, they may get nasty surprises.

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Mar 6 2013, 06:06 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

There tends to be a few options....

Sneak sneak work sneak sneak. (All is quiet)

Sneak sneak wor...boom, f:)4&!!!, run run run hide

Or, the most recent event that I liked...

Walk into racial purity group with the troll under invisibility right into the lobby, ask to see the guy in charge, inform him that yes you are the terrorist he's looking for, drop invisibility on troll, become distraction as the rest of the team sneaks in back and begins the raid into the hidden holding cells.

Everyone eventually meets up in facility, and using a ton of smoke-n-mirrors, holds off guards, hackers keep security spiders at bay, find chummer in cell, break him out, sacrifice one of the guards to restore buddy (he's a dark-one/banshee) and make our way back out.

Resisted urge to blow the whole building up. Considered sparking a war with the local Swiss Guard just to vent, but chose to leave under vehicle mask, vehicle stealth and guard powers on the aircraft and left the country.

+Quote Post
Stave
post Mar 6 2013, 03:41 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 53,098

Ensure that at no time was any member of the team physically at the location:
  • Drones
  • Spirits
  • Mind Control
  • Bribery
  • Hire another team
  • Find out that someone else is doing a job, let them do the job and take it off them
  • Astral Projection

We've been playing this campaign for two years now, and in that time we have had two fights. In one of them we accidentally killed someone (he was confused by a spirit and stepped into suppressive fire then rolled a critical glitch...) , and in the other we nearly died (grenades are seriously unpleasant). We've done wet work (only against a toxic shaman), grand theft from research bases / moving convoys, enabled employees to change employment and used the demolitions skill to improve some companies bottom line. Occasionally we screw up, but usually we do sufficiently low collateral damage that we can say "sorry" (usually we need to throw in a big favour with the sorry).

Decontaminating the loot is often awkward, so we check for astral traces (usually easy as Astral stuff is obvious) and keep any physical objects in a Faradays cage with a rating 5 jammer anyway just in case. We hand the loot to the Johnson without warranty that it is clear of traces.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 6 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Skyhook.

It's the only way.

-k

+Quote Post
Telion
post Mar 7 2013, 01:28 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,547

segways.

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Mar 7 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

Go with Segways with gecko tips (legal with GM approval). Nobody sees that coming.

For getaways we either walk away calmly or we take the team vehicles and run for it. Hasn't come up in detail, though.

+Quote Post
Fyndhal
post Mar 7 2013, 08:49 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,254

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Mar 4 2013, 12:25 PM) *

Anyway as the title says I'm curious what sort of getaways your teams have made. What is your "plan A" or "plan B" for getting away after a run? What have been some particularly fun getaways? Do your teams not really make getaways because by the end of the run you've obliterated your foes so you're free to saunter off?

I'm also curious about the nature of the opposition your teams face in getting away. For example does your team rigger have a blast with car chases because the team piles into the van, takes off, and then the opposition is the LS/KE equivalent of Boss Hogg sending Rosco and Cletus after you in a pair of cars?

Turn around and begin walking away as the explosions begin going off. We do not look back.

+Quote Post
tasti man LH
post Mar 7 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 66,005

I prefer doing elaborate poses with my back-turned to the facility...and THEN have the huge explosions go off.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 20 2013, 05:18 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Mar 4 2013, 12:25 PM) *

Call a taxi.

....what? Didn't you play SR for Genesis?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 20 2013, 05:55 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 20 2013, 12:18 AM) *
Call a taxi.

....what? Didn't you play SR for Genesis?
"Ghoul Cab, there in fifteen minutes or you wait longer."

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 20 2013, 06:14 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

I played the SNES version, which means I took the train. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

~Umi

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Mar 20 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

My old team? We'd get a legit contract to clean out rubble from the area we were supposed to dig for the "package," used a spirit to tunnel to our desired target, used adequate explosives to get in, put the "package" in the rubble we were hauling surrounded by scanner-blocking materials, hauled it out as part of the initial rubble removal, and sent droned vehicles to continue the rubble removal while we left through the front gate. Suffice it to say, it's good to have the right corp contracts and available heavy-load work vehicles at the right time. Why break the law TOO much when you can get paid by your Johnson AND the corp you're scavenging under.

Note: only works when the company you're taking from doesn't realize they even have what you were after.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Mar 20 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

I once ran a one man SR3 game where the player was a adept infiltration expert. He was to sneak into a team of Shadowruners hand-off in a disused factory, steal a package from the runners before they delivered to the Johnson and deliver it to his employer. He was spotted on the way out, jumped the fence after a running gunfight (Great leap is a great power), jumped on his Yamaha Rapier and was pursued by the team's rigger, with a samurai firing at him from the window (he geeked the mage like a good boy). Being a solo runner, and unable to escape the rigger's van despite his handling/speed advantage, he led them right up to the top of the multi-level parking garage where his Johnson was waiting and got the Johnson's bodyguards to fight the runners.

Mr J's security and the adept won, but the troll bodyguard caught a bullet in the throat and his medical bill was subtracted from the adept's payment, even after he used his medkit to stabilize the guy.

I learned a few lessons from this (My first GM experience):
1. Getting anything done in SR3 vehicle chases takes a long, long time and more maths than I like.
2. Never expect a rigger in a van to be stopped by an obstacle that a bike can get past. In this case, an overturned semi-trailer on a two lane bridge with only a narrow footpath to get around it. Because if you get the rigger to make an obscenely difficult test on the tightest terrain, that fucker will jump his van onto two wheels and still pull it off and the crash test.
3. Your smoke/stun grenade combo will go off after combat is over, and the bodyguards you were fighting alongside will not consider that to be adequately "helping".

And the moral is please be stealthy out there, guys. Vehicle chases are a pain in the arse.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 20 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

Which is why you should keep missiles in the back of your vehicle, for ending vehicle chases.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Mar 20 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

A Yamaha Rapier with a missile rack is the most pink mohawk thing I have ever imagined.

+Quote Post
ChromeZephyr
post Mar 20 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,252

I'll take two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.