IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Actual Play: Weirdness in Dublin, A typical session for me - no combat.
Tashiro
post Mar 5 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

I remember a while ago someone mentioning that if there's no combat in Shadowrun, it gets boring. My response was that good RP and an interesting setting counters the need to have combat often, and my last session pretty much shows how a typical session may go.

The PCs are in Dublin, investigating the death of a scholar known by one of the PCs. The PC in question is a teacher at a university, and had been sent a package containing a Kingmaker Ritual wanted by the Black Lodge. They've come to Dublin to find out who killed the colleague and to prevent the ritual from falling into the wrong hands. Over the course of about six or seven sessions, they've learned about the Black Lodge, and are trying to take things slow so as not to attract too much attention to themselves.

Last session, they were hired by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn to collect a series of magical inks, used with a metamagic ritual to tattoo a spirit into a human host. It acts similar to possession, but the host maintains full control of his body, and gains access to the spirit's powers. The PCs had the inks planted on them prior, but handed them off to a yakuza knee-breaker in exchange for information on local assassins they can get in contact with. Now, they had to recover the inks and bring them back to the Hermetics. The process had them encounter one of the elite assassins in Dublin, a member of the Path of the Wheel, who acts as a personal 'cleaner' for the nobility there. He was after the inks as well - not for the inks, but for the ritual to use them which was concealed with the inks. Since the scholar (PC) was able to help him recover them, he handed the PCs the inks (for half their take from the Hermetic Order), kept the ritual for himself, and gave the PCs a copy of the ritual for safe keeping. (This session involved an NPC who's gunning for the PCs completely trashing the yakuza hangout, while the PCs dove for cover and kept out of the way)

This session, the PCs go to the Hermetic Order and drop off the inks. This is also the scholar's first payday, ever, and he feels flushed with cash so the PCs decide to go out into the higher class section of the archology to get real food. (Side note: Scholar Character is a new character, while the other two players are playing their veterans -- over 600 karma in the veterans, while the new character's working up to 100 karma. Because of various factors, all the characters have reasonably legitimate SINS and can actually move around - that was the intent of the game, to allow them to deal with all walks of life).

On the way to the resturaunt, the PCs run into an honest-to-god faerie. She's encountered the veteran PCs before (and goes by the name Rumour Mills). The faerie has had her eye on the PCs for quite some time, and has dropped hints here and there to give them a hand, or to simply confuse them. This time, she offers them a package -- pulled from the trunk of an unsuspecting elf's car. (Elf: Hey, what are you doing opening my trunk? Hey, stop fishing in there! Hey... where the hell did THAT come from?!) The package is fairly large and bulky, and after some niceties, she departs, leaving the PCs (rightfully) suspecting that this is THE harp of Ireland (the very harp used for the Irish flag). The scholar checks the matrix - and finds out that the harp has *just* vanished from the University of Dublin it was kept at. (As an aside, the Black Lodge is trying to collect various symbolic items which represent the nation they're trying to take over with the Kingmaker ritual - and the harp was one of them. One they DID steal was the oldest gaslamp in the city of Dublin).

The PCs decide to bring the harp back to their hotel. Or, to be more specific, they handed it to the NPC bodyguard to bring there, while they go eat. Dinner goes very well, and the PCs head to the hotel to find the NPC bodyguard covered in blood, busily dissolving the bodies of three assassins in the bathtub. After much discussion, discovery of RFID 'dust' in the bed sheets, and bugs scattered through the rooms, the PC technomancer 'scrubs' the hotel rooms, while the NPC fishes out the cyberware from the bathtub. Some checking on the local shadownet gets the PCs in contact with a local orc to dump off the cyberware, and the PCs head out - leaving the bodyguard behind with the harp.

The PCs hook up with the orc, and give him the cyberware. Finding out the scholar was able to face down the elite assassin of the noble court, he considers the group 'alright', and invites them to a Celtic Trog Rock concert. The PCs come along, and get to throw down - while the media-runner PC discovers an NPC rock star that they have to kidnap is hanging out incognito. (She works for Aztechnology, and combines 'recording' everything she encounters with 'programming' people with her music. Both of these things are done without her knowledge, and the PCs have been hired by another party to kidnap her at some point and get her away from Aztechnology. She's effectively a sleeper agent.) The scholar meets up with a dwarf named The Watchmaker, who programs drones to 'learn' while on missions for him. He winds them up and lets them go with minimum interference from him. Finding him interesting, the scholar introduces him to the technomancer, and they hit it off well. The technomancer loves the local Trog Rock music so much, she buys their albums, and sends one copy to the ghoul warren she knows back home (run by The Reverand, an Ozzie Osbourne shaman). He gets a kick out of the music, so sends back some music by "The Unquiet Graves", a ghoul metal band. (I described the music as 'pipe organ, wailing violins, screeching vocals, and death metal guitar). The PCs decided to share this music with the local band, and everyone was happy.

Everyone had a blast - the violence was done behind the scenes, as 'something you'll probably need to face later', while the PCs were busy making contacts in the city and sending out feelers for the investigation. They've done some side-missions (getting the inks, for example), and now have one of the McGuffins for later in the campaign, but the whole point of the session was for the PCs to meet new people, and get a feel for the city. I think it worked out well, and I'm not even sure the PCs will see actual 'action' next session either. Strangely enough, this is how the group likes to play.

Anyway, thought I'd share some of the plot elements I've been using, the NPCs, and the setting I've added. Hope you like it, and if you want to yoink anything, feel free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 5 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

So, this Kingmaker ritual...

Does it do basically what it sounds like? IE, make whomever pulls it off the King of Ireland by way of fating things to go their way and not their enemies' way?

Because it would be bloody hilarious if the PCs grabbed the shit and the ritual, legged it back to the UK and kicked Tir na nOg right the hell off the map, reuniting the United Kingdom in full.

+Quote Post
crazyconscript
post Mar 5 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,906

First off: Yay! Someone running a game that is set in Ireland! I presume only as a part of a larger campaign, but still. I approve of any game featuring the better Tír nation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I have to admit to curiosity about a couple of the plot elements you included in it though. What exactly is the "Harp of Ireland" that you mention? Is it some kind of artifact you created for the purposes of the game, or is it something that is stated to exist in a sourcebook somewhere? Since in RL at least, the Harp was purely symbolic. And also, which University in Dublin was said to have it in their possession? I would assume Trinity College but I don't know if SR messed with how such things stand.
I am also curious what other McGuffin items you are using are, and if you had already decided they may be. If the Kingmaker ritual you describe is supposed to be as tied ritually to the nation it attempts to "bind", then I might I suggest requiring it to be performed either on the Hill of Tara (historically home of the High Kings). Or to be even more tied into spiritual "heart" of the country, require it be performed on the day of the winter solstice in the heart of Newgrange in order for it to operate at its full potential?

If you hadn't already decided what McGuffin items actually exist already, I would suggest such things as the Blarney Stone (VERY difficult to move around/steal without anyone noticing since it is immensely popular and part of a freaking stone castle). Another could be the Book of Kells or the Book of Durrow, both very important Irish cultural artifacts with deep spirtual and religious histories. Both are currently held by Trinity College Dublin (they have a lot of such things), but you could change that. Or not, and make the University be on alert because of the previous dissapearance.

I would love to read more about the goings on of this campaign (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 5 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

@ShadowDragon8685
I'm thinking several Dragons and at least one Pendragon, not to mention the Druids, would have something against that O.o

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Mar 5 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 5 2013, 01:17 PM) *
So, this Kingmaker ritual...

Does it do basically what it sounds like? IE, make whomever pulls it off the King of Ireland by way of fating things to go their way and not their enemies' way?

Because it would be bloody hilarious if the PCs grabbed the shit and the ritual, legged it back to the UK and kicked Tir na nOg right the hell off the map, reuniting the United Kingdom in full.

The ritual is mentioned in Conspiracy Theories, but I adapted it to my campaign. What it does (for my campaign), is effectively move 'Fate' to ensure your authority is recognized by the land itself, and cause people to 'see' you as natural authority figures. People who try to act against you tend to suffer bad luck or have things move against them. The ritual has to be done at the spire in Dublin - crafted by the Freemasons some time back.

What came out as a funny coincidence, is that the scholar in question is a Vanderbilt (based on a character inspired by Doctor Doom in a different campaign entirely, called Victoria Vanderbilt. This guy's her descendant...) When doing research on the fly, I found out the Vanderbilts were Freemasons, and then that the spire in Dublin was crafted by the Vanderbilts in real life. How's that for freakiness? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So it all just came together nicely. Now, mind, the Freemasons are associated with the Black Lodge in Shadowrun, so he's going to be going up against his own family potentially.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Mar 5 2013, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (crazyconscript @ Mar 5 2013, 01:46 PM) *
First off: Yay! Someone running a game that is set in Ireland! I presume only as a part of a larger campaign, but still. I approve of any game featuring the better Tír nation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Yeah, I decided this would be a fun little romp in elf land. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have to admit to curiosity about a couple of the plot elements you included in it though. What exactly is the "Harp of Ireland" that you mention? Is it some kind of artifact you created for the purposes of the game, or is it something that is stated to exist in a sourcebook somewhere? Since in RL at least, the Harp was purely symbolic. And also, which University in Dublin was said to have it in their possession? I would assume Trinity College but I don't know if SR messed with how such things stand.

The harp at Trinity College would be the harp in question, yes. It was purely symbolic, but the symbolism is what's important here. It is one of only three harps from that time period, and is THE symbol of Ireland (and of Guinness, go figure). It's not mentioned in any book that I'm aware of for Shadowrun, but I don't mind.

I am also curious what other McGuffin items you are using are, and if you had already decided they may be. If the Kingmaker ritual you describe is supposed to be as tied ritually to the nation it attempts to "bind", then I might I suggest requiring it to be performed either on the Hill of Tara (historically home of the High Kings). Or to be even more tied into spiritual "heart" of the country, require it be performed on the day of the winter solstice in the heart of Newgrange in order for it to operate at its full potential?

Because this is a Black Lodge ritual, I've connected it to the spire in the heart of Dublin, crafted by the Freemasons some time ago (and strangely, by a Vanderbilt - the same name as the scholar in the game). It works nicely, I feel. As for time, Winter Solstice might work well, actually - I hadn't given any specific thought on that part yet. I'll keep that in mind.

If you hadn't already decided what McGuffin items actually exist already, I would suggest such things as the Blarney Stone (VERY difficult to move around/steal without anyone noticing since it is immensely popular and part of a freaking stone castle). Another could be the Book of Kells or the Book of Durrow, both very important Irish cultural artifacts with deep spirtual and religious histories. Both are currently held by Trinity College Dublin (they have a lot of such things), but you could change that. Or not, and make the University be on alert because of the previous dissapearance.

I've not created a full list, I've picked up one or two things - the oldest gas lamp in Dublin, the spire, the harp. The Blarney Stone is a good idea - I might have to use that, actually. The Book of Kells and Book of Durrow would also be a good idea. Heh, I like the idea of having Trinity College being raided and having an actual fight in its halls... something for me to keep in mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

I would love to read more about the goings on of this campaign (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll post more from time to time then, as the game runs on. I'm doing it every Monday, and just felt there was enough weirdness in recent sessions to provide some entertainment value.

+Quote Post
crazyconscript
post Mar 5 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,906

Wait wait wait...sorry but can I ask where you got that the Dublin Spire was made by the Vanderbilts? The only "reference" I can find to such a thing is crackpot theories on boards.ie. At least, if you are talking about the modern Spire anyway, and that is a very recent monument. Which was built on the site of Nelson's Pillar, and that was erected back in 1806 before the Vanderbilts started building monuments. I know it's your game and your decision what is important within the setting, but really? The bloody SPIRE as the ritualistic heart of the Kingmaker ritual? Making that horrible thing the centre of any spiritually focused event just jars badly with me...

Dont take this as a "NOOOO!!! RAGE!" criticism, I just find it a baffling choice

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 5 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

No offense, but why couldn't the four Arcana of the Danaan do?

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Mar 5 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Right, I meant Nelson's Pillar, I believe. >.> I was looking up stuff on conspiracies, and that cropped up.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Mar 12 2013, 03:02 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Current Session Report
We had a new player come into the group (well, an old player coming in with a brand new character). So, since the character was a member of the magical group that the social-gunbunny was a member of, I simply had the order hook the two together to work together. So, gunbunny and the scholar go to collect this social adept (the group really needed one), and on the way back, the scholar finds out that a lawyer wants to get in contact with him.

The lawyer had finished going through the will of the scholar's dead contact, and the scholar was given a holographic emitter. The group returned to the hotel, and activated it. The program was a hologram of the dead contact, and the scholar was able to question it - though it was limited on what it could answer. (Think I, Robot). The program gave the name of three suspected members of the Black Lodge, and the name of the dean of the university who had hired him to study the ritual. Thus informed, the group headed to the university, leaving the NPC bodyguard behind to guard The Harp from last session.

At the university, the group had to speak with the dean - a member of the Black Lodge, and requested the key to the dead scholar's office. She joined them, and the group explored the room, while the Face kept the dean distracted. The scholar was able to discover that there's a statue in the room with information the PCs may want, and picked up some other mementos to take suspicion away from the statue. On the way out, the Face informed the group that - while the dean is hostile to the group, she is also wondering who killed the scholar, because it wasn't under her command. So, she may or may not work with them.

The PCs learned that a shadowrun group had been sent to Blarney Castle, searching for something, but failed in the run. The suspicion on the local ShadowNet was that someone was after the Blarney Stone, but after some digging, the suspicion turned to the Stone of Scone, which is on display in Blarney Castle. On the way back to the hotel, by cab, the driver was shot and killed by a sniper. The group bailed out of the cab - contacting the police as they went. The police informed them to stay in the area, while the gunbunny discovered the sniper was using a morph-seeking rifle and delayed-explosive bullets. The group took cover in one of the alleys while a local police team came in to take down the sniper using VTOL police cars.

Once the sniper was apprehended, the police officer noted something 'off' about the scholar in the group. Suspicious, he took the scholar and two other PCs in for questioning, letting the technomancer return to the hotel to remain with the bodyguard. Flying to the police station, the other police cruiser got taken over by the sniper (who had been taken alive). The sniper tried to side-swipe the PC's cruiser, but the officer was a better pilot. The two cruisers wound up in a dogfight until the sniper tried to charge the PC's cruiser. The police officer riddled the enemy cruiser full of bullets, so the sniper dove through the shattered window at the PC's cruiser, hundreds of metres in the air. Then the scholar whipped up a barrier spell in mid-air, splattering the sniper against it and sending him spiralling down to the earth below. The PC's cruiser riddled him full of bullets until he hit the ground, and then kept the PCs in the car while he inspected the corpse - which exploded.

Fortunately, the cop survived, and continued to take the PCs to the station, questioning them on recent events and what was going on. The scholar mentioned the Black Lodge - and the officer cut him off, well aware of who they were. He confirmed their location over the last few days, and discovered that the police 'request' possessed false information, leading the officer to conclude the Black Lodge was after the PCs - especially when the scholar gets a confirmation request from his university, wanting to know if he 'really wanted to quit working there'. The officer's suspicions grew when he was requested to 'transfer the prisoners to another cruiser' - at which point he followed law and procedure to the letter, refusing the transfer. The station attempted to insist, and he cancelled the call. When the group arrived at the station, he went out to find out what was going on in the station, while another officer he trusted looked after the PCs and talked with them in passing about what was going on.

The PCs were given a clean break, and the officers (who only used serial numbers instead of names) informed the PCs that they were his 'case' and thus he would be protecting them from outside interference while he performs an investigation on who is responsible for tampering with police records.

Meanwhile, back at the hotel, there was a knock at the door. The NPC bodyguard answered it, to reveal the faerie from before dressed as a bellhop. She handed over a message, which reads:

Four Treasures of the Danaan
Stone of Fal Cry out beneath the man who took the sovereignty of Ireland
Spear of Lug No battle ever sustained could stand against it.
Sword of Nuadu A glowing, bright sword of fire.
Cauldron of the Dagda No company ever went away from it unsatisfied.

The bodyguard handed the information to the technomancer, while the rest of the group has just arrived. They now know some more of the items the Black Lodge may be after - and they know that the Spear and Cauldron is already in the possession of the PC's order (Called the 'Order of Laurels', who actively hunt magic relics to collect, while looking for certain object of authority...)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.