IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> /dev/grrl's development..., Because we don't want to thread-steal from a publication announcem
CanRay
post Mar 24 2013, 03:18 AM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

So, aside from questions about the breast fairy, how do you folks like the direction /dev/ has been taking in the last, hm, year or so?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Mar 24 2013, 04:18 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,409

I like the direction she's taken her tutelage under Kane and Fastjack it seems to have matured her. She doesn't grate on me as badly, there is a personality other than teeny bopper there now. She's still young and prone to taking chances, but it feels like she belongs on Jackpoint now.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 24 2013, 04:55 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

I like her. She's got the hacking chops if she's beating Glitch and others to the punch, which has happened a number of times now. Instances of her giving out info and someone else on jackpoint being all 'That was you!?' are kinda cool.

She does seem to be coming into her own a bit more out side of just the matrix. Which is nice. I'm unsure how much actual 'tutalage' she's getting from Kane. I mean do you really see him taking time to give her lessons? And if so, how often can she get away from her corp parents and school to take them? She did track him down so she does travel and what not, but I don't see it like months long lessons. I'm thinking more hit or miss, a weekend here... a weekend there, where she tells her parent's she's staying at a friends house and going out to train and what not.

I do like her as a character, and I'd like to have a write up on her, and an image to put a face on her.

So far as best we know she's a tiny elf girl with cybereyes. I keep picturing Veronica Mars. For some reason I picture Dev with Dark hair though. So.. Veronica Mars as a Brunette.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Mar 24 2013, 05:09 AM
Post #4

Running Target

There was a time when she told Kane to back off a bit because her parents were beginning to get suspicious or something along those lines. So they do spend quite some time together.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 24 2013, 05:12 AM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Angelone @ Mar 24 2013, 12:09 AM) *
There was a time when she told Kane to back off a bit because her parents were beginning to get suspicious or something along those lines. So they do spend quite some time together.

I missed that one. Where abouts would it be? (( Just curious. Not doubting you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ))

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Mar 24 2013, 05:49 AM
Post #6

Running Target

I can't seem to find it, it was sometime after she tracked him down in Street Legends Supplemental.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 25 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 23 2013, 08:18 PM) *
So, aside from questions about the breast fairy

That's not a real thing... is it? Have you Canadians been holding back?!?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 25 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 24 2013, 04:18 AM) *
So, aside from questions about the breast fairy, how do you folks like the direction /dev/ has been taking in the last, hm, year or so?

Kane was a bit over the top, but fleshing her out made her, to me, a more interesting and likeable character. Especially the bits in Safehouses, SimDreams and Storm Front made me warm up to her (so she's the replacement for the guy I watched Athack kill). Te Kane bit was nice too, though a bit pink. But at least a rather cool kind of pink.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 26 2013, 04:04 AM
Post #9

Running Target

One of these days Dev is going to geek a guy. I just hope it's awesome and not a tears pouring down her face sort of event. I know she's young and what not but these are shadowrunners. Even the good guys have to kill now and then.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 26 2013, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 25 2013, 11:04 PM) *
One of these days Dev is going to geek a guy. I just hope it's awesome and not a tears pouring down her face sort of event. I know she's young and what not but these are shadowrunners. Even the good guys have to kill now and then.
Unless you're a two-legged monster, the first kill can be quite a difficult thing to experience.

Or, so I've been informed.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 26 2013, 06:45 AM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 26 2013, 01:20 AM) *
Unless you're a two-legged monster, the first kill can be quite a difficult thing to experience.

Or, so I've been informed.

"Can be" yeah, but again these are Shadowrunners. A very very select very very small percentage of the population. They break the law of both country and corps as a matter of course. They live and die by the gun and by the Deck.

I'm not saying they're all psychotics, but they're not the sort to cry into their drinks night after night for the people they've had to shoot in the course of their shadowrunning lives.

For Dev, avoiding the 'Crying little girl' Aspect needs to be addressed more so than on others. If she freaks out and starts sobbing after her first kill, it will destroy her 'gains' on Jackpoint and her cred and 'reason' to be there.

In my view the way to get around this turn of events and turning her into a crying softy, would be to make her first be something 'good'. I.E. taking down someone evil or someone doing an evil thing. She could be on a run that goes wrong, something big and nasty is about to kill a friend. Or she comes on a rape in progress and shoots the rapist... She gets targeted by one of the serial killers and has to kill him. etc. It can still be emotional for her with out making her 'The crying baby elf girl'.

"Difficult" and even "emotional" is fine. But with one that is 'barely' accepted by many fans (( And not accepted by some)) As being too young and a stupid kid. You gotta take very special care not to make it worse. If she 'goes on a shadowrun' and falls to pieces after having to shoot someone, it'd ruin the character.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 26 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Ruin her... Or make her.

Depending on how it's done.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 26 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 26 2013, 01:51 AM) *
Ruin her... Or make her.

Depending on how it's done.

Exactly. That's my point. It'll be one or the other. Very likely nothing in between. So it has to be done right. Other wise, years of build up will result in a broken NPC that is going to be almost universally lothed.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Mar 26 2013, 08:16 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Careful, that way lies the new Lara Croft.

There are a few Jackpointers who aren't exactly murderhoboes. The Deckers, for instance, are pretty bloodless (Well, with some exceptions. PUCK.), while a few of the others are fairly unbloody.

Not everybody can pull a trigger on someone. You just have to manage those assets more carefully.

+Quote Post
tasti man LH
post Mar 26 2013, 08:38 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 66,005

...at the same time though, pretty sure the deckers of JackPoint wouldn't hesitate to bring down the Black Hammer on some poor spider...

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 26 2013, 08:55 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 26 2013, 03:16 AM) *

There are a few Jackpointers who aren't exactly murderhoboes. The Deckers, for instance, are pretty bloodless (Well, with some exceptions. PUCK.), while a few of the others are fairly unbloody.

Not everybody can pull a trigger on someone. You just have to manage those assets more carefully.

Well there's a difference between a 'murderhobo' and "Being a Shadowrunner". Sooner or later a Shadowrunner is going to have to kill. And chances are it's going to be far far sooner, than later. Some go out of their way to avoid it, but I doubt any with careers longer than a few months to a year can retire with unbloodied hands. Sooner or later something happens on a run and you have to shoot your way out. The Decker that cowers in the corner screaming isn't brought on the next run. You can try your best to avoid it (( I mean I know I'd TRY not to kill people. Again. Not saying they're psychotics)) but the world is a dark place and if you're breaking into governmental or Corp (Same difference)) Places and pulling illegal activity, sooner or later you're going to be in a fight for your life. When you are, it's you or them. And if you're a 'successful' Shadowrunner. I.E. still breathing... it means it was them.

I'm not saying Dev needs to turn into Hard Exit, or Picador. But if she continues to be A Shadowrunner, sooner or later she'll be forced to kill to defend herself and others. If she does it and totally breaks down "Like a kid" The NPC will be hated for "Not deserving" to be on Jackpoint with the Real runners. She'll be seen as a failure.

Again she doesn't have to shoot old ladys or baby's between the eyes and lick the barrel of the gun while giggling like a loon. But -when- the time comes and she has to kill, I personally hope she 'Lives up' to the trust that FastJack and others have put into her to 'deserve' to be there, and not punk out.

This is significant due to some of the things cited above. She IS getting out of her protective corp life and going out into the field at least a little. I mean she tracked Kane down and actually hired on a runner team to back her up as she walked into a bar in the CAS (( If memory serves at 5 am)) And she's from North Eastern UCAS. Putting a gun to the guy's head.

So yeah... when she's forced to pull the trigger, or draw the blade. I hope the char isn't scrapped and thrown away. I like her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
MrGlee
post Mar 26 2013, 09:00 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 75,592

As someone who only got into Shadowrun like, a year ago, and only started reading the non-crunch parts of books 6 months ago, I think /dev/grrl is awesome. She reads like new blood, and from what I have read has done so without becoming obnoxious. She is not a complete know it all brat, and does seem to hold some respect for those who came before her. Overall she is in a nice place.
While I disagree with her having to need to kill someone, if it does happen, it does need to be handled properly. There is no reason it shouldn't affect her or make her upset, but having her completely break down or be unable to take a shot, I think would be detrimental to her character.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 26 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 26 2013, 01:38 AM) *
...at the same time though, pretty sure the deckers of JackPoint wouldn't hesitate to bring down the Black Hammer on some poor spider...
Netcat on Clockwork, for one example (yes, I know Clockwork isn't exactly a spider). I also think she wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill him, either.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 26 2013, 11:33 AM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Angelone @ Mar 24 2013, 05:18 AM) *
I like the direction she's taken her tutelage under Kane and Fastjack it seems to have matured her.

Learning from a ruthless, soulless dude like Kane will certainly help her. Not. Seriously, when has Kane become one of the cool guys? I mean, the same guy who sold ship containers full of unwilling organ donators and is wanted as war criminal iirc?

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 26 2013, 01:43 PM
Post #20

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 26 2013, 04:16 AM) *

Eh, even the new Lara isn't particularly weepy about her first kill, a little shaken perhaps.

Half a day later she's murdering folks by the dozens.

-k

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 26 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 26 2013, 05:43 AM) *
Eh, even the new Lara isn't particularly weepy about her first kill, a little shaken perhaps.

Half a day later she's murdering folks by the dozens.

-k

They apparently didn't want to go with a "Spec Ops: The Line" version of Lara who suffers from crippling PTSD.

+Quote Post
ChromeZephyr
post Mar 26 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,252

Not having read all the relevant documents, has she ever melted someone's brain on the Matrix? Because that would be a good way to go about a first kill, I would think. And afterwords while she's giving an after-action report, have someone go "...and you know that that person's dead now, right? Like, 'blood pouring out of the nose and brains leaking out of ears' dead." Hell, maybe even a stolen vid feed from the corp security cams of the opposition twitching and pissing themselves before sagging to the floor. Just a thought.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 26 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #23

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Someone remind me why we're so eager to make /dev a killer. I think I missed it somewhere. (I do not subscribe to the theory that says, "All shadowrunners are killers and there's no way to avoid it." But I'm weird like that, I guess.)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 26 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #24

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 26 2013, 05:50 PM) *
Someone remind me why we're so eager to make /dev a killer. I think I missed it somewhere. (I do not subscribe to the theory that says, "All shadowrunners are killers and there's no way to avoid it." But I'm weird like that, I guess.)

Here's the kick-off to this discussion:
QUOTE ("Pepsi Jedi")
One of these days Dev is going to geek a guy. I just hope it's awesome

As to why? All I'll say is: Because reasons. I'd have more to say, but that's against ToS and not for this Forum, I think.

+Quote Post
ChromeZephyr
post Mar 26 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,252

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 26 2013, 09:50 AM) *

Maybe I'm parsing this too finely, but I don't think people want her to be a killer (someone who kills people routinely), but are curious about what happens if/when she is required to actually geek someone. What is the aftermath, and what direction does she go afterwards? I (and others, judging by the thread responses so far) expect that if you're a shadowrunner you're going to have to kill someone at some point in your career.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.