Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small Vector Thrust Craft Design?
Fu-Man Chu
post Apr 24 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,667

I accidently posted the following question to the Welcome to the Shadows Forum here . . . if any of you have further input, I'd welcome it!

Is there any way to design a Vector Thrust Aircraft that is the size of a car or truck? I'm thinking like a Body 4 or 5 along the lines of the Harrier fighter craft. From what I see in Rigger 3, there is only a body 7 chasis that is WAY expensive. I considered using the Drone UAV with a body of 3 and increasing it's cargo to the max of 25 and then putting in seats and controls - but I'm not sure that's an adequate solution becuase I'm sure other things like canopy etc are not included in the rules. . . which also brings up the point of how exactly does one "convert" a drone into a vehicle which can carry passengers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 24 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Deja Vu...

To give a vehicle a cabin, you basically only need to add Entry Points. Otherwise, it's considered Open if the Entry category reads --.

Hovercar Version (See the cover of New Seattle)
Chassis: Large Vector-Thrust UAV
Power Plant: Electric Fuel Cell (Fan-Driven)

Minimal Design Requirements:

Increased Cargo Space +12 (Total CF of 14)
Increased Load +200kg (Total Load of 210kg)
Added Manual Controls (-2 CF, -10kg Load)
Added Seats (2 Bucket) (-12 CF, -200kg Load)

Total Cost: 390 DP (0.60 Mark-Up) = 23,400 nuyen

Hoverbike Version
Chassis: Mediuml Vector-Thrust UAV
Power Plant: Electric Fuel Cell (Fan-Driven)

Minimal Design Requirements:

Increased Cargo Space 7 (Total CF of 8)
Increased Load 100 (Total Load of 110kg)
Added Manual Controls (-2 CF, -10kg Load)
Added Seat (1 Bucket) (-6 CF, -100kg Load)

Total Cost: 163 DP (0.60 Mark-Up) = 9,780 nuyen

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 24 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I would think that if you made it a passenger vehicle it would automatically lose the Drone markup. Otherwise I can just build my sprts cars off of drone chassis at absolutely no penalty for a fraction of the cost, all automakers could, same for all other vehicles.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 24 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Sure could.

Unfortunately, there are no Body 3 Car drones let alone a "sports car drone," so I don't really see how you'd be able to modify one into a cheaper sports car.

About your only option is a 'cheaper" Sand Buggy (Body 2) using a Medium Wheeled Crawler. Of course then your CF is limited to 12 (35 with the Sand Buggy) -- which is just barely enough for two seats leaving you with no space for manual controls. Your off-road Handling would suck in comparison (6 vs. 4), and the chassis cost would actually be more expensive (40 w/ 0.40 Mark-Up for the Sand Buggy vs. 120 and 0.25 Mark-Up for the Crawler).

So, uhm, yeah. Okay. Good deal there. I can see why the megacorporations are flocking to that trend now.

But then again, maybe I don't understand what you mean by "lose their drone Mark-Up." Drones have their own chassis. Any standard vehicle is turned into a drone just by adding Sensors 1 or higher and an Advanced Drone Pilot -- it doesn't affect their Mark-Up whatsoever. There is no "Drone" Quality Factor either, with Quality Factors being about the only things that do affect the Mark-Up of a vehicle.

+Quote Post
Fu-Man Chu
post Apr 24 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,667

What exactly is that (0.60 Markup)?

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Apr 24 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Basically it's how you determine the cost of a vehicle, multiply it's design points by the markup, then multiply that by 100. So for instance with a .6 markup a car with 100 design points would cost 6,000 :nuyen:.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 25 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Makes you wonder why the Mark-Up values don't vary from 10 to 250 instead of 0.1 to 2.5, eh?

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Apr 25 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Ya know, that is an excellent idea.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 25 2004, 04:43 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Probably because of the rounding that goes on somewhere in there, IIRC.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.