Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hero Lab - Less than fully happy Customer, Issue resolution less than stellar
Redjack
post May 16 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm very frustrated. Attempts to follow the normal support channels seems to be getting me no where, except frustrated.

I know, I know, Catalyst is the worst company on the planet for errata. I naively thought that perhaps Hero Lab would be different.
We license the right to produce data packages for almost every game system Hero Lab supports. That means we’re working directly with the companies that produce your favorite games, so we can ensure that our software supports their games optimally.

I opened a trouble ticket with Lone Wolf in February of this year regarding an incorrect interpretation of a rule within the program. I provided several examples. I posted in their forums where other users have chimed in supporting my interpretation. I have followed up with them diligently, once a month since being told they are seeking clarification from Catalyst.

I am mad. I am a paying customer with a legitimate bug and it is not be addressed in anything resembling a reasonable time frame.

Given the following rules:
QUOTE (SR4a@pg332)
Camera:  The most common sensor, cameras can capture still photos, video, or trideo (including sound). Cameras may also be up-graded with vision enhancements (p. 333). Micro versions are available at Rating 1 (Capacity 1) only.
QUOTE (SR4a@pg332)
The rating of a vision sensor or imaging device equals the number of vision enhancements that can be applied to the device.
QUOTE (SR4a@pg333)
A number of options are available for installation in visual sensors and imaging devices. Each enhancement costs 1 Capacity.
QUOTE (SR4a@pg333)
Audio enhancements are commonly available as earbuds or head-phones. Each will play audio input from AR or other sources. Each enhancement costs 1 Capacity (per rating).

I created the following: A small drone has a sensor capacity of 5. That could be filled as follows:
[1] Atmospheric Sensor R3
[1] Motion Sensor
[2] Laser Microphone R6
[1] Camera R6: [2] Ultrasound, [1] Low-Light, [1] Vision Magnification, [2] Select sound Filter R2

The program does not allow this. Am I just misunderstanding the rule?

Anyone else have similar results trying to get support?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryu
post May 16 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Awakened Asset

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,309

They have quite to the contrary been exemplary so far. Odd.

I´d say your setup is valid.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 16 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Select Sound Filter is not a vision enhancement. Could that be kicking back an error?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 16 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Man Behind the Curtain

As cameras also capture sound (as per the reference above), I find no rule stating that it cannot be upgraded as such. Even if that upgrade was ruled invalid, that is not the primary issue.

The program error is that it counts sensor enhancements to the camera against the sensor capacity of the drone, rather than the rating of the camera. The developers hold that to be their interpretation of sensor capacity.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post May 17 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

That is also how everybody else interprets the sensor/camera capacity issue. I'd say you have a legitimate complaint. I'm going to assume you tried this build without the Select Sound filter just to be sure that wasn't the issue but if you haven't, try it and see.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 17 2013, 06:49 AM
Post #6

Man Behind the Curtain

To be clear, I've tried it, opened a ticket and emailed the developers. They simply refuse to accept the common interpretation of the rule here.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 17 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

From SR4a, page 334, "Each sensor package also has a Capacity rating; the total Capacity rating of the individual sensors may not exceed the package’s Capacity rating." The people at Hero Labs have a hard time understanding that enhancements isn't even mentioned there? Wonder how they'd be able to explain a modern camcorder, a handheld sensor with a camera, microphone, vision magnification (zoom) and vision enhancement (representing a "steady-cam" feature)?

Unfortunately I don't use this program, and am glad as I know I would've slammed face first into this same wall long ago. Then again, maybe a few more voices on the matter might get Hero Labs to change their mind about how the players interpret the rules here.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 17 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 17 2013, 09:08 AM) *
From SR4a, page 334, "Each sensor package also has a Capacity rating; the total Capacity rating of the individual sensors may not exceed the package’s Capacity rating."

I guess they interpret this to refer to the free Capacity offered by sensors, so for example a package with Capacity 6 would be filled by a R. 4 Camera (4 free Capacity) and a R 2 Microphone (2 free Capacity). While this interpretation might sound plausible at the first glance, many sensors do not have any "enhancement Capacity", therefore the rule obviously refers to the [x] Capacity all sensors have.

RE the secondary question question about audio enhancements in a camera, to me "Cameras may also be up-graded with vision enhancements " means they can ONLY take vision enhancements and no audio enhancers or cyberlimb upgrades (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Fluff explanation: The sound pickup in the camera is a cheap integrated thing, if you want something better which can also accept upgrades, you need to install an external microphone.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 17 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #9

Man Behind the Curtain

First, thanks for replying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 17 2013, 07:01 AM) *
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 17 2013, 09:08 AM) *
From SR4a, page 334, "Each sensor package also has a Capacity rating; the total Capacity rating of the individual sensors may not exceed the package’s Capacity rating."
I guess they interpret this to refer to the free Capacity offered by sensors, so for example a package with Capacity 6 would be filled by a R. 4 Camera (4 free Capacity) and a R 2 Microphone (2 free Capacity). While this interpretation might sound plausible at the first glance, many sensors do not have any "enhancement Capacity", therefore the rule obviously refers to the [x] Capacity all sensors have.
I'm not really sure whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with my stated interpretation here...?

QUOTE (Sengir @ May 17 2013, 07:01 AM) *
RE the secondary question question about audio enhancements in a camera, to me "Cameras may also be up-graded with vision enhancements " means they can ONLY take vision enhancements and no audio enhancers or cyberlimb upgrades (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Fluff explanation: The sound pickup in the camera is a cheap integrated thing, if you want something better which can also accept upgrades, you need to install an external microphone.
This really isn't a sticking point for me. The rules do not say ONLY, but I could easily accept that the statement of regarding vision enhancements means to infer that audio enhancements cannot be added to the camera.

My sticking point is that sensor enhancements are being counted against sensor capacity.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 17 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 17 2013, 02:16 PM) *
I'm not really sure whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with my stated interpretation here...?

I agree with the interpretation of you and basically everybody else (otherwise Hardwire's drones would need some serious reworking...), but was trying to figure out how Hero Labs arrived at their -- faulty -- interpretation.

+Quote Post
forgarn
post May 17 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,988

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 16 2013, 06:06 PM) *
As cameras also capture sound (as per the reference above), I find no rule stating that it cannot be upgraded as such. Even if that upgrade was ruled invalid, that is not the primary issue.

The program error is that it counts sensor enhancements to the camera against the sensor capacity of the drone, rather than the rating of the camera. The developers hold that to be their interpretation of sensor capacity.

You actually answered your own question with this quote:
QUOTE (SR4a@pg332)
Camera:  The most common sensor, cameras can capture still photos, video, or trideo (including sound). Cameras may also be up-graded with vision enhancements (p. 333). Micro versions are available at Rating 1 (Capacity 1) only.
(bold is mine)

+Quote Post
Kiirnodel
post May 17 2013, 03:52 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 56,316

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the problem isn't just about the audio enhancement on the camera. It sounds like Hero Lab is also preventing him from putting the visual enhancements on the camera.

I don't use Hero Lab, so I can't really help. But it sounds like they are having a little trouble with the idea of the Sensor Capacity. The rule for sensors is just a restatement of the way capacity works, at least that's how most people interpret it. The capacity of the individual sensors should not count against the capacity of the sensor package as well...

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 17 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (Kiirnodel @ May 17 2013, 09:52 AM) *
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the problem isn't just about the audio enhancement on the camera. It sounds like Hero Lab is also preventing him from putting the visual enhancements on the camera.
Yes, please, thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The audio seems to be distracting from the core conversation.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post May 17 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Why would a sensor have a capacity if not to be used, hmmmm? This sounds like the folks at HeroLabs are peddling a broken product - and, shamefully enough, actually charge you money for it - while, of course, Chummer is both free and updated regularly by people who play the game and read Dumpshock.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 17 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ May 17 2013, 06:03 PM) *
This sounds like the folks at HeroLabs are peddling a broken product

From what RJ wrote, it sounds more like they are genuinely convinced that how their software currently works is the correct exegesis.

To make matters worse "I was informed that a clarification with Catalyst was forthcoming on this". The last time I know of that CGL "clarified" something in HL, it was this.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post May 17 2013, 10:57 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Wonder if people who bought this last year will get the upgrade to SR5 or if it's a completely separate purchase.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post May 18 2013, 01:11 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

I fully understand your frustration. This and their interpretation on cyberlimbs have made me skip Herolab in favor of Chummer.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 18 2013, 02:26 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Got me curious now, how does HL do cyberlimbs differently?

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post May 18 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

They do not allow Cyberlimb armor to apply at all unless it is a Called Shot against said Cyberlimb.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post May 18 2013, 04:13 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ May 18 2013, 05:23 AM) *
They do not allow Cyberlimb armor to apply at all unless it is a Called Shot against said Cyberlimb.

LOL, good think i haven't bother with their piece of shit program.
But that is an extremely weird one, theres no rules to back that up and i'm pretty sure thats not how the devs rule it to work.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 18 2013, 05:26 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ May 17 2013, 08:23 PM) *
Yes, silly, considering the brief printing about cyberlimb armor doesn't expressly state this. Of course, having an armored cyberfoot adding to your overall B/I values is also silly... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

And what if a character was crazy enough to get a full replacement of every cyberlimb, including torso & skull, and armor each to the max of 4?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 18 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 17 2013, 10:26 PM) *
And what if a character was crazy enough to get a full replacement of every cyberlimb, including torso & skull, and armor each to the max of 4?

You have 24 points of Cyberarmor and you are a beast. *shrug*

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 18 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

True, but the question intended was does HL recognize that you are such an armored beast, or only apply a 4/4 armor bonus after everything is so cybered?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 19 2013, 03:42 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 18 2013, 11:53 AM) *
True, but the question intended was does HL recognize that you are such an armored beast, or only apply a 4/4 armor bonus after everything is so cybered?

Ahhh, Sorry.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 19 2013, 07:18 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

No worries.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.