Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bonus magic skills - DO NOT WANT
Shemhazai
post Jun 21 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,835

I want to purchase and improve the magic skills in skill groups only - Sorcery, Conjuring, and Enchanting. Don't the skills you get in the higher priority levels for magic ruin that idea?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Jun 21 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

Just finagle your metatype priority and Magic priority to get you the appropriate levels. Human B and Magic D could get you to the right spot for example.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jun 21 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Well, I would think that if you took Priority A for Magic resulting in 2 Magic skills at 5, you could in theory trade in for the equivalent cost of a skill group to buy. So instead of Spellcasting 5 you might get Sorcery Skill Group X (which will probably be 3 but again I don't know all the chargen costs in skills right off hand).

+Quote Post
Kiirnodel
post Jun 21 2013, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 56,316

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 21 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Well, I would think that if you took Priority A for Magic resulting in 2 Magic skills at 5, you could in theory trade in for the equivalent cost of a skill group to buy. So instead of Spellcasting 5 you might get Sorcery Skill Group X (which will probably be 3 but again I don't know all the chargen costs in skills right off hand).

Or spend five of your skill bumps on the third skill of the group and combine them back into a group post skills step...

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jun 21 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Are either of those things legal, or just workarounds if the GM allows it?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jun 21 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 21 2013, 06:16 PM) *
Are either of those things legal, or just workarounds if the GM allows it?

For the moment I would call them workarounds until I can get my hands on the final release.

And even if not specifically outlined, your chargen is providing you with a pile of points for a skill, you could make the case for juggling it a bit so long as your effective cost is the same and not trying to exploit it to change Spellcasting 5 to become Sorcery Skill Group 5 without further points from somewhere being added in to pay for it.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 21 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

The latter more than the former -- if you've got Sorcery at 5 and Counterspelling at 5 (for "free" from the priority chart), I don't recall anything in the skills chapter that would mean you can't buy Ritual Spellcasting up to 5, and then call it the Sorcery Group. The final steps of chargen specifically let you break skill groups apart if you want to (spending your starting karma to buy a specialization for just one skill in the group, for instance), so I can't think of any reason it wouldn't allow for the opposite to also hold true.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jun 21 2013, 11:05 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

In SR4, to my understanding, you could always reuinite skills back into a group so long as they were all at the same level. So if you had Pistols and Longarms at 3, and your Automatics was at 2, but then you increased it to 3, you could then regroup them all and increase the Firearms group to 4 as a whole.

The same should be possible in SR5, no?

~Umi

+Quote Post
Kiirnodel
post Jun 22 2013, 01:15 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 56,316

QUOTE (Umidori @ Jun 21 2013, 07:05 PM) *
In SR4, to my understanding, you could always reuinite skills back into a group so long as they were all at the same level. So if you had Pistols and Longarms at 3, and your Automatics was at 2, but then you increased it to 3, you could then regroup them all and increase the Firearms group to 4 as a whole.

The same should be possible in SR5, no?

~Umi

It is actually even more explicit in SR5 that all the skills of the same group at the same levels can be reunited to become the skill group again.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 22 2013, 01:31 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 21 2013, 01:05 PM) *
I want to purchase and improve the magic skills in skill groups only - Sorcery, Conjuring, and Enchanting. Don't the skills you get in the higher priority levels for magic ruin that idea?

You could always get assensing and astral combat for the two skills from the Magic priority.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 22 2013, 01:50 AM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

"By your ratings combined, I am CAPTAIN SORCERY!"

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jun 22 2013, 03:51 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jun 21 2013, 09:31 PM) *
You could always get assensing and astral combat for the two skills from the Magic priority.

I wanted to do that, but I don't think they count as magic skills.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 22 2013, 04:32 AM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

In the Skills chapter, the skill descriptions are broken down by category (e.g. physical, social, technical, etc.). Under what heading do tho two skills fall?

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jun 22 2013, 04:45 AM
Post #14

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 21 2013, 11:32 PM) *
In the Skills chapter, the skill descriptions are broken down by category (e.g. physical, social, technical, etc.). Under what heading do tho two skills fall?

Did that actually make any of the previews? I'm not entirely sure what did and what didn't at the moment.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Jun 22 2013, 05:28 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

In SR4, however, those were Magical Active Skills.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jun 22 2013, 11:23 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 21 2013, 03:05 PM) *

There are other magical skills that you can take with those two bonus skills, leaving the three skill groups fine and dandy.

Assensing and Astral Combat, for example, could be taken with your "two magical skills at 5" bonus, letting you buy your groups as you wish.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 22 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

How are you going to take all 3 as skill gorups, even with A in skills that is only 10 points in skill groups or what 3,3,4, or are you going with something like 1,6,3 or something?

Anyways I wish there was a way to convert standard skill points into groups without having to buy all the skills, as skill groups should be discounted. It is the rare group where each skill continues to add an equal value past the first.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jun 22 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 22 2013, 10:04 AM) *
How are you going to take all 3 as skill gorups, even with A in skills that is only 10 points in skill groups or what 3,3,4, or are you going with something like 1,6,3 or something?

My idea was to improve it with Karma rather than the initial skill group points.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 22 2013, 05:13 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 22 2013, 12:14 PM) *
My idea was to improve it with Karma rather than the initial skill group points.

In that case I'd go 1,3,6 or 1,4,5 depending on where you want the groups to pan out. Given how karma advancement is skill group going to x 5? tanking 1 of them is the cheapest bet, heck depending on the cost to buy a group 5/5 might be the best idea and buy one up from 0. On an additional note if you are not going for the flavor of skill at X level if initiation is allowed do the math nd see if initiation+ magic going up gets you more dice than trying to boost the skills.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jun 22 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 22 2013, 01:13 PM) *
On an additional note if you are not going for the flavor of skill at X level if initiation is allowed

I don't understand that statement.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably have to have a lower skill priority anyway. I just wanted the three skill groups to be clean, and if the astral stuff counts as magical skills, that's exactly what I'll do.

But you know, remember that astral signature erasure thing... that should be a skill... and then you could have an Astral skill group!

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 22 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 22 2013, 02:01 PM) *
I don't understand that statement.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably have to have a lower skill priority anyway. I just wanted the three skill groups to be clean, and if the astral stuff counts as magical skills, that's exactly what I'll do.

But you know, remember that astral signature erasure thing... that should be a skill... and then you could have an Astral skill group!

Sorry, by flavor I meant a skill rating 6 means a professional level of skill in 5e apparently. Skill level 3 is probably amateur. So if you want a certain feel based on the level of training you might want your skills at X,(I want to be considered to have a professional level of skill/knowledge) if you just want the most dice possible you might go a different route and boost the magic attribute. If you want to be good at all 3 groups and they all use the magic attribute you can probably go pretty far just increasing the magic attribute after you get the groups to some base level of competency. For example increasing each group of rating 3 to rating 4 would cost a total of 60 karma, ignoring initiation you could go from 11 magic to 12 magic for the same amount, with initiation in the cost its probably from 9 to 10 magic before increasing the group becomes cheaper. Now if you later decide you only care about the sorcery group the numbers change a lot.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jun 22 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 22 2013, 02:52 PM) *
Sorry, by flavor I meant a skill rating 6 means a professional level of skill in 5e apparently. Skill level 3 is probably amateur. So if you want a certain feel based on the level of training you might want your skills at X,(I want to be considered to have a professional level of skill/knowledge) if you just want the most dice possible you might go a different route and boost the magic attribute. If you want to be good at all 3 groups and they all use the magic attribute you can probably go pretty far just increasing the magic attribute after you get the groups to some base level of competency. For example increasing each group of rating 3 to rating 4 would cost a total of 60 karma, ignoring initiation you could go from 11 magic to 12 magic for the same amount, with initiation in the cost its probably from 9 to 10 magic before increasing the group becomes cheaper. Now if you later decide you only care about the sorcery group the numbers change a lot.

Thanks. I need to read the new rules to see that enchanting can do. I'll probably build evenly, but there are a lot of options for karma to be used on.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Jun 23 2013, 04:53 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Hmm... been really busy with work and such to view the forums lately... but just saw this thread.

I have a question on the preview... in the skills column the rules section stops before it gets to the pick skills entry is the number after the slash the number of skill points for group skills?

Shem... do you really need all the skills in group form? Judging by the aspected magic notes in the preview there is most definitely an enchanting, sorcery, and conjuring group. And it would be quite funny if the authors overlooked the enchanting group after making it an aspected tradition of it's own. (I'm guessing there's the arcana, enchanting, and some other skill in there if enchanting wasn't, maybe for collecting reagants who knows).

What about the magical skills that aren't part of any group. Assensing & Astral combat immediately come to mind and both are important. Especially with the changes I'm just now reading about in direct combat spells... attacking a spirit with a weapon focus in astral combat may be quite preferable now to trying to harm it with a direct combat spell before it disembowels you. (astral combat is also used to defend against their attacks... and it remains to be seen how a weapon focus works now).

You could pick those two up with those points as they're magical skills then spend the rest out of the group allotments normally.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 23 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #24

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Falconer @ Jun 22 2013, 10:53 PM) *
I have a question on the preview... in the skills column the rules section stops before it gets to the pick skills entry is the number after the slash the number of skill points for group skills?

Yes.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 23 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

And to bypass a potential followup question, it is additional points for groups, it does not come out of the base number to the left of the slash.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 08:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.