Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for SR4/5 software ideas/interests
coffeeaddict
post Jun 29 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 119,066

To introduce myself since this is my first post here...I work as a developer at a small software company...I'm interested in writing some open source (free) software tools for SR4/5 for my own professional development/amusement...I would like to know if there is a definite need for anything that is off the beaten track.

This excludes what work has already been done by Lone Wolf Dev (Hero Labs) and Chummer. This also excludes any tool that would require wholesale piracy of content in the books (i.e. no database of runner gear, however cool that would be). That also kind of throws out any kind of character generator (since it has already been done ten times over) unless it fulfills some kind of niche that nobody has started working on.

All of that said, for players and GMs out there for SR4/5, are there any well defined software tools that you would like to have to make running/playing games easier for you?

At this point I've written a small tool for filtering/searching through spells for Pathfinder. I'm trying to find something new to do with SR4/5.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Jun 29 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 217

There aren't very many of us who even know what is really in the SR5 book. I would wait a few more weeks then ask this question again.

+Quote Post
Sunshine
post Jun 29 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,312

I'd love to see some sort of combat calculator/ Simulator for sr5 with some template characters (Gangers, Sec Guards, Drones, Spirits, Sprites, Critters). So if my players go off track I could fire the program up and have a Squad of X with Initative Order, Pools, etc. and a comfy UI (a Dodge button, -5 Initatve, a Condition Button like Visibiltiy/ Cover/ Prone/ Running), etc.

I do not have any Idea what amout of work I am asking here for, but since you asked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

love Sunshine

+Quote Post
IridiosDZ
post Jun 29 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 34,232

Are you capable of programming for Android? There are very few SR tools available for Android and I would love to replace my laptop with my tablet at the table.

As for me, whether it's Windows/Android I'd like to see a random Matrix host generator. Something that you give it maybe one or two parameters (such as difficulty and/or type) and it 'rolls' up a host (or a network of hosts). Something related is a commlink 'simulator' that allows you to load the stats for your PCs commlinks and set up dice rolls. Otherwise, a good initiative tracker for Android would be nice. Or some app (again thinking Android) that you can set up personalized preset dice rolls that allows you to tap a button for a dice pool. Also maybe you could read the .chum file (its XML?) and make skill/attribute dice roller buttons.

Sorry for the spam here. And sorry for suggesting Android if it's not your thing.

Just to note, matrix rules are very likely to change between editions but I'm not sure how much.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Jun 29 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

Building plans generator. Randomized and editable.

+Quote Post
coffeeaddict
post Jun 30 2013, 01:35 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 119,066

Thanks to those that responded.
QUOTE (Sunshine @ Jun 29 2013, 10:44 AM) *
I'd love to see some sort of combat calculator/ Simulator for sr5 with some template characters (Gangers, Sec Guards, Drones, Spirits, Sprites, Critters). So if my players go off track I could fire the program up and have a Squad of X with Initative Order, Pools, etc. and a comfy UI (a Dodge button, -5 Initatve, a Condition Button like Visibiltiy/ Cover/ Prone/ Running), etc.

I do not have any Idea what amout of work I am asking here for, but since you asked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

love Sunshine

If I'm not mistaken Hero Labs already has a tactical console that does something like that. I do not want to duplicate their work. A semi-random NPC/goon generator is something I could do though.

QUOTE (IridiosDZ @ Jun 29 2013, 03:08 PM) *
Are you capable of programming for Android? There are very few SR tools available for Android and I would love to replace my laptop with my tablet at the table.

As for me, whether it's Windows/Android I'd like to see a random Matrix host generator. Something that you give it maybe one or two parameters (such as difficulty and/or type) and it 'rolls' up a host (or a network of hosts). Something related is a commlink 'simulator' that allows you to load the stats for your PCs commlinks and set up dice rolls. Otherwise, a good initiative tracker for Android would be nice. Or some app (again thinking Android) that you can set up personalized preset dice rolls that allows you to tap a button for a dice pool. Also maybe you could read the .chum file (its XML?) and make skill/attribute dice roller buttons.

Sorry for the spam here. And sorry for suggesting Android if it's not your thing.

Just to note, matrix rules are very likely to change between editions but I'm not sure how much.

It's not spam and there is no reason to be sorry. I'm pretty much set on C# with Windows Presentation Foundation. Windows XP with the SP3 or better. Windows 7 or Windows 8 preferred. Goal is to build it so that it will work equally well the keyboard/mouse and touchscreen.

I have experimented with Android development. Not something that I am interested in right now. Trouble with it is that you have to write the app so that the GUI will adapt seamlessly to the size of the screen...whether it is a phone or tablet. Android also leaves you totally at the mercy of the operating system...if Android decides for whatever reason that your app needs to close (like if you rotate the screen ninety degrees and it switches from portrait to landscape mode), it has to do so cleanly and fast and save all settings to a database so that when it starts back up everything is the same. This is why there are so few Android apps on the market that are bulletproof. It's a lot easier to make something on Windows or even Linux because you have a reasonable amount of control.

I'll look into the matrix stuff. I like your idea of an initiative sorter and working with .chum files. It is something I will investigate. XML is very easy to work with in C# so that is interesting.

QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 29 2013, 05:19 PM) *
Building plans generator. Randomized and editable.

Maybe by connecting nodes. Difficult but interesting. I'll think about it. Thanks.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jun 30 2013, 03:36 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

I've found that in damn near any case I'm better off using RDP to get into a Windows box than trying to find Android or iOS tools that do what I need. My regular SR GAm turned a solid state box into a Chummer server so that we can use a mix of iPads and Chromebooks to remote in and manage out characters without having t cover te table in giant laptops.

+Quote Post
White Buffalo
post Jul 1 2013, 04:23 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 103,325

I'd love a Dice calculator with the following options:

Buttons or hotkeys for comen used skills, a damage meeter so it'll pull out penaltiy dice, as well as boxes to click for the various penalties. then they can be trackedthorught the combat. To go further, a set of tables for multiple charicters and NPCs.
What ia want to do is load "White Buffalo": click boxes for low light, 2 rows of stun damage and distracted and hit the button for Perception, which will have my optimal dice pool built in. Then give me my hits.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jul 1 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

QUOTE (White Buffalo @ Jul 1 2013, 11:23 AM) *
I'd love a Dice calculator with the following options:

Buttons or hotkeys for comen used skills, a damage meeter so it'll pull out penaltiy dice, as well as boxes to click for the various penalties. then they can be trackedthorught the combat. To go further, a set of tables for multiple charicters and NPCs.
What ia want to do is load "White Buffalo": click boxes for low light, 2 rows of stun damage and distracted and hit the button for Perception, which will have my optimal dice pool built in. Then give me my hits.

I made a spreadsheet that gives you the odds. Let me know if I should post it anywhere. It keeps getting taken down wherever I put it.

+Quote Post
Nal0n
post Jul 1 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,455

First thing that comes to my mind for SR4 (do not know if still needed in SR5) is a two part Application for Hacking.

Part 1 is for the GM where he can design Multi Node Matrix Systems complete with flowchart-like scriptes responses for the nodes and IC and stuff.

Part 2 is for the Hacker, so he can do his stuff on the systems faster and with less appearance of the dreaded "Everyone go grab some Pizza, the hacker does his stuff now" moments.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.