Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autosofts & Technomancers
Ruby
post Jul 2 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,460

So I'm working on a technomancer/dronomancer and I cant seem to find anywhere on Dumpshock or in the rules that tell me if I need to buy more than one copy of an autosoft or if I just need one. The example Drone Rigger and Smuggler both have single copies of their autosofts but I thought I had read somewhere about needing to buy autosofts for each drone.

PS: Can technomancers learn or thread autosofts as complex forms? (or would this need to be an echo to learn)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jul 2 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Like all software, copy protection is built in. Each autosoft is generally specific, for each Maneuver (Fly-Spy) is different than Maneuver (Doberman).

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 2 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Honestly have never thought that TMs could make use of autosofts. From SR4a, page 246: "Autosofts are specialized programs that assist Pilot programs in undertaking tasks that their basic Pilot programming does not cover." So I'd say no to TMs threading autosofts. Now with the Biowire echo you can thread skillsoft programs that autosofts emulate for your own use; Pilot Ground Craft or Pilot Anthroform for Maneuver, Perception for Clearsight, etc.

If you're using Unwired, then if the program has Copy Protection it will be limited to one vehicle/drone, and you'll have to buy it again for another (unless the GM rules something like "five licensed copies per serial code"). Now if that copy protection is cracked, then you can copy it to any applicable vehicles/drones, but then you're also subject to the software degradation rules.

And the description in Maneuver autosofts suggests it's not drone/vehicle model specific with examples of "ground vehicles, anthroform vehicles, etc." This I'd say is going to be a GM's call, but it sounds like it's more general than specific. Personally I'd say that a Maneuver autosoft that works in one car will work in any car.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Jul 3 2013, 05:30 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 2 2013, 05:29 PM) *
Honestly have never thought that TMs could make use of autosofts. From SR4a, page 246: "Autosofts are specialized programs that assist Pilot programs in undertaking tasks that their basic Pilot programming does not cover." So I'd say no to TMs threading autosofts. Now with the Biowire echo you can thread skillsoft programs that autosofts emulate for your own use; Pilot Ground Craft or Pilot Anthroform for Maneuver, Perception for Clearsight, etc.

If you're using Unwired, then if the program has Copy Protection it will be limited to one vehicle/drone, and you'll have to buy it again for another (unless the GM rules something like "five licensed copies per serial code"). Now if that copy protection is cracked, then you can copy it to any applicable vehicles/drones, but then you're also subject to the software degradation rules.

And the description in Maneuver autosofts suggests it's not drone/vehicle model specific with examples of "ground vehicles, anthroform vehicles, etc." This I'd say is going to be a GM's call, but it sounds like it's more general than specific. Personally I'd say that a Maneuver autosoft that works in one car will work in any car.

I could certainly see an argument for threading them for a Machine Sprite or Pilot to use, but not for yourself to use (without, at the very least, an advanced echo requiring More Than Metahuman).

But the default rules do not, to my understanding, permit 'mancers to use autosofts themselves.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.