Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salish-Shidhe in 2075, What Has Come Before
Tzeentch
post Jul 8 2013, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 459

Updates on Major Salish-Shidhe Elements since Shadows of North America (2062)

-- If I missed anything major please provide book name and page number (if possible).

Population
2052 (NAN Volume 1): 10,118,000
  • Human: 63%
  • Elf: 13%
  • Dwarf: 12%
  • Ork: 9%
  • Troll: 2%
  • Other: 1%

2062 (SONA): 8,590,000 (as part of the Great Population Reset)
  • Human: 63%
  • Elf: 11%
  • Dwarf: 9%
  • Ork: 12%
  • Troll: 3%
  • Other: 2%

2072 (SWA): 9,050,000 (15% population increase)

Metahumans
  • Centaurs accepted into the Nez Perce tribe. (SWA, p. 187)

Geography
-- SWA is not a good resource. The location shown for Hells Canyon is off by over 100 miles, for example. Use the map in SONA, p. 117.

Timeline Events
2018. Treaty of Denver.
2029. S-S Council (actually, the Salish Council at this time) invites metahumans. Sinsearach elf tribe founded.
2035. Ceneste branch of Sinsearach establishes Tir Tairngire.
2050, May 6. A Kraken sinks a ferry bound for Vancouver, killing all on board.
2059, December 3. Earthquake levels Richmond (outskirts of Vancouver).
2060. Tensions with the Tsimishian escalate when Salish hikers are arrested and tried as spies.
2062. Kalanyr attempts to cleanse Beaver Lake of high radiation levels (and eventually fails). (Clutch of Dragons, p. 97)
2062, May 2-4. Open war breaks out. Thousands of S-S soldiers killed by apparent biowarfare agent.
2062, May 5. S-S Council signs a cease-fire.
2062, July. Cease-fire broken by Salish militias.
2064, December 1. Haida National Front overthrows Tsimshian government. STC forces take over country.
2065, January 5. Salish-Shidhe begins occupation of Tsimshian.
2066, September 6. (Sioux-SCC owned) Gaeatronics Geothermal Power Planet Network comes online. Five in operation. Sioux, SS, and PCC begin decommissioning of corporate energy plants.
2071. Kalanyr negotiates land deal to purchase town of Novelty.
2074, July 1. Second Treaty of Denver expires.

Salish Rangers
  • Tie two smugglers to a tree and shoot them. (SR5, p. 170)

Magic
-- Bear Doctor Society (Street Magic, p. 69)

Matrix
-- ChinookNet is the local grid. (SR5, p. 234)

Tsimshian Border War
  • Resolved in 2064. Continuing aftershocks discussed in Dirty Tricks (set in 2074).
  • Tsimshian owe S-S a four TRILLION nuyen debt. (Dirty Tricks, p. 122)

Kalanyr
-- References are to Clutch of Dragons (starting p. 96)
  • Adult western dragon.
  • First appearance on Olympic Peninsula in 2045.
  • May have fought for Tir Tairngire in 2036.
  • Linked to the dragon Urubia in some way. Had a falling out sometime around 2061. May still be in contact.
  • Citizen of the Quileute Tribe. Business links to the tribe that the tribe can cancel at any time.
  • Leveraged business deal gone bad involving Federated Boeing and Salish Tribe.
  • Purchased property in downtown Seattle. Operates a building in the Madrona Park apartments.
  • Bought the Salish-Shidhe town of Novelty in 2071 which was near Trilogy ghost-town. Few km south of Duvall, site of Salish Ranger station.
  • Runs a smuggling operation.
  • Owns two dragon-scale castles. One in the Verge, another at Beaver Lake (north shore).
  • May be working with radiation shamans in Glow City.

Urubia
-- Info coming soon.

Corporations
  • Eibisu Biomechanics (Boise)
  • Gaeatronics (Olympia)
    • Operates Vancouver and Boise LTGs through Omni Electronics subsidiary.
  • Kyuusei Medical (Spokane)
  • Pacific Cybernetics Incorporated (Vancouver)
  • Proteus AG
    • Operates aqualogy off coast.
  • Universal Omnitech (Vancouver)
  • Chameleon, Inc. (Redmond)
    • Owned by the dragon Kalanyr.
    • Holding company for his investments.
    • Invested in Shiawase, Gaetronics, Aztechnology, Unlimitech m and Federated-Boeing.
    • Owns Stonehome Construction, which is cleaning up and rebuilding Barrens (especially in the Verge).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 8 2013, 07:05 AM
Post #2

Keeper of the Timeline Maps

Member No.: 19,243

Off the top of my head Spy Games had something about the Salish wanting to get into Denver and the dragon Kalanyr is operating in the country now. That's in Clutch of Dragons.

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 8 2013, 07:23 AM) *
Geography
-- SWA is not a good resource. The location shown for Hells Canyon is off by over 100 miles, for example. Use the map in SONA, p. 117.
Mount Rainier is also on the wrong spot (it is placed between Mount Adams and Mount Hood).

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 8 2013, 07:13 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Why anyone cares about Denver is a mystery to me.

Adding some Clutch info as you noted.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 8 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 8 2013, 08:13 AM) *
Why anyone cares about Denver is a mystery to me.
I guess, having a piece of Denver is better than having none... But yeah, the fuss seems hardly justifiable.

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 8 2013, 07:23 AM) *
It's not clear which Beaver Lake in Washington this is referring to (I assume the one in Sammanish). Or how it became irradiated.
That's Glow City in Redmond, Seattle:

https://maps.google.de/maps?ll=47.595972,-1...mp;z=15&t=m

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 8 2013, 08:09 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

Denver's gerrymandering is pretty much just an excuse to have all the different non-Seattle factions in one place, because they're kinda not all that interesting by themselves in their own home turfs.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Jul 9 2013, 01:14 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 217

Nigel Findley was able to make them interesting. 4th edition just didn't seem to know how to write in an interesting way anything that was anglo-centric. Which is probably why Salish-Shidhe in 4th appears to have all been about metacritters and nothing tribal at all. At least they got the Nez Perce tribe into Salish-Shide. The absence of any eastern tribes always bothered me in the Salish-Shidhe write-up.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 9 2013, 01:51 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

I'm the writer of the SONA entry and I live pretty much smack-dab in the middle of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I didn't have the kind of wordcount Findley did though, and actually his writeup was a big cockblock because as far as he was concerned it was the big five tribes and ... well not a lot else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

I do think that the tribal government structure of the S-S is the best thing about them from a gameplay and descriptive sense, as well as the huge East-West and North-South divides. It's not apparent to the casual reader, but most of the eastern tribes have NOTHING in common with the coastal tribes, even linguistically. But it's a pretty sweet deal for them I think, they do their own thing the Salish tribes have to bust their asses actually running the place.

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Jul 9 2013, 03:04 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Yeah, I remember you wrote it and we've long since had our arguments over it.

I still think you should have felt free to expand on it and add things like the Nez Perce, Yakama, Shoshone, Klamath, etc. In my games which often feature the SSC and TT I've played up the conflict with the Klamath tribe and Warm Springs tribes being a fifth column within the Tir.

Also, gotta add with 4th edition I'm disappointed it was a Western Dragon they placed int he northwest. Oh well, new edition and I hope a better direction is taken as far as the Native American Nations.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 9 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

I hope to revisit the area. The dragon they added doesn't seem to ... well it doesn't seem to actually add anything. And with the closeout of most of that storyline it just goes nowhere. I was thinking he may be interested in the Idaho National Laboratory area though.

+Quote Post
Not of this Worl...
post Jul 9 2013, 04:30 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

... or a Feathered Serpent could just come along and eat him.

Just if I can wish for anything, add in more tribes and flavor east of the Cascades and South of the Columbia.

+Quote Post
boskop-albatros
post Jul 10 2013, 03:30 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,827

it's been a Long time since I posted first the Denver thing is A real World Deep government Conspiracy Thing; I've been researching soul searching and I've cone to the Conclusion that Shadowrun might Of been a Government Psy-op in the Late 1980s that they made Money On-I remember the Choose Your own Adventure books By R.A. MONTGOMERY Escape and Beyond Escape (Recently Reprinted) that had Denver as the Capital of Turtalia/Freedonia after the break-up of the U.S.A. and of course Donot Forget The Denver International Airport Mural Of the Darth Vader Gas Mask looking guy with the Sword Killing the Peoples of planet Earth, You know the KILLER GOD FROM SKY THE SEACRET GOVENMENT REALLY WORSHIPS-I've heard about on COAST to COAST AM BEFORE and Seen It Too, Look It UP

as for the Western Dragon Maybe He meets a Lady Feathered Serpent and They Knock Boots(or I should say Scales) AND have Some Eggs
After the Dragon drama I've heard is going on maybe the dragons will be into Loving and not Fighting

(you must love me posting though, I post like some of the posters in a Shadowrun Source Book) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 18 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #12

@Tzeentch: I noticed that a shadowtalker named Kzeentch is commenting in Shadows of North America. Some kind of alter ego? An alphabetic precursor?

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 18 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (lokii @ Jul 18 2013, 02:38 PM) *
@Tzeentch: I noticed that a shadowtalker named Kzeentch is commenting in Shadows of North America. Some kind of alter ego? An alphabetic precursor?

It was sort of "my" shadowtalker to interject little authorial tidbits, just like Pistons was Eleanor. He shows up again in Shadows of Europe (not me talking through him) as well, as I worked a lot with the Scandinavian Union guys trying to get some canon elements to align.

Every freelancer sort of picked a stable of talkers that matched their material and preferences and could make up one or two that were then shared around in various ways. The same thing probably happens now, which is why the same group of talkers shows up every time no matter what (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 22 2013, 08:25 PM
Post #14

But why the change from K to T?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 22 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Maybe U was taken? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 22 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Because "Tzeentch" is a term from Warhammer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 24 2013, 08:21 AM
Post #17

Thanks for the illumination. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hope you don't mind being cited on the Shadowhelix: http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/Kzeentch

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 24 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #18

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 18 2013, 12:54 PM) *
It was sort of "my" shadowtalker to interject little authorial tidbits, just like Pistons was Eleanor.

Pistons was Elissa. Eleanor was Lady Jestyr. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bull

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 24 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 24 2013, 10:29 AM) *
Pistons was Elissa. Eleanor was Lady Jestyr. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

At some point we need to do a genealogy tree of shadowtalkers and their sponsors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 24 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

BTW I see that "I" made a comment in Shadows of Asia (p. 126). Wow, that's pretty obscure, but is based on some comments and background I posted on the freelance list regard spetsgruppa in general. I'll have to dig that stuff out at some point, I had more detail on Shadowrun's version of Vympel and Alfa.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 24 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 24 2013, 07:49 PM) *
At some point we need to do a genealogy tree of shadowtalkers and their sponsors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Yummy.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 25 2013, 02:48 AM
Post #22

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 24 2013, 02:49 PM) *

That could get... Muddled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I can list most of the direct player PC ports for 3rd ed, though there's a few I don't really know.

+Quote Post
Freya
post Jul 26 2013, 09:23 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 85,966

I'd actually be really interested to see that sometime.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.