IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Revised Copy?, Will you get the 1st printing, or wait for errata?
Which Edition?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 68
Guests cannot vote 
Tashiro
post Jul 11 2013, 02:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

I won't be getting the LE book, simply because - while it looks absolutely stunning - I know there's going to be errors in it which will be fixed in later printings. I will be getting the rulebook when it comes out, and I know when the revised / errata'd book comes out, I'll trade up to it (which is what I did with 4E, effectively).

How about you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jul 11 2013, 03:09 AM
Post #2

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

First Printing LE + PDF + Revised Printing later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 11 2013, 03:33 AM
Post #3

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

My LE's don;t get played with, so do't actually matter what the actual text says. They're for autographs and sketches from the artists and authors, and then they sit on my shelf as part of my collection.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jul 11 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I'm waiting for the 2dn printing before I buy a hardcopy. And keep my fingers crossed that CGL is doing a better job with releasing erratas and updating the later printings then in SR4 times.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 11 2013, 08:16 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

I'll be picking up the hard copy when it gets to the uk and grabbing a revised print at some point later. I provide most of the SR material for my groups these days when we play so like to have multiple copies of my Essential books (BBB, Canon Companion, Man&Machine, Rigger3 and Matrix all have 2copied on my shelf). I can slip an erratta'd sheet into the book when it's available.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 11 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

If anything, i will be getting the revised german version if i decide to buy in at all . .

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 11 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Looks like I should have waited for the revised edition of the PDF too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 11 2013, 01:48 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

If I get it (depends on what they are willing to fix vs. what they won't budge on), then I will definitely wait for an errata. The cost for mystic adepts to buy power points is one of the things they are looking at, and that alone would be a huge change.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jul 11 2013, 02:24 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 11 2013, 09:33 AM) *
Looks like I should have waited for the revised edition of the PDF too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Good thing DriveThru is great about handling updates to PDFs that you've bought through them. I don't know why Battleshop is weird about letting a user redownload a file they've bought, and restricts the number of times it can be downloaded though I would guess it's because they don't want to pay the higher hosting cost to support it.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 11 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 09:24 AM) *
Good thing DriveThru is great about handling updates to PDFs that you've bought through them. I don't know why Battleshop is weird about letting a user redownload a file they've bought, and restricts the number of times it can be downloaded though I would guess it's because they don't want to pay the higher hosting cost to support it.

Yeah, that's why I always shop through DTRPG.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jul 11 2013, 03:29 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

As an aside, I have to say that I like so much more of what I see than I don't like. In fact, the only thing I've found in the rules that I don't like is the lack of a distinction between wireless bonuses and bonuses that just require a DNI, which seems to derive from an elimination of the entire DNI game mechanic. Beyond that, I like the initiative changes, the recoil changes, the migration of battle rifles and sporting rifles into just being sniper rifles, that the guns bring their own balance of damage, AP, accuracy, and recoil compensation, and the changes to vehicle stats.

I'll have to play some to say for sure, but all in all, since I've spent the last 24 years playing trigger-pullers and necksteppers, who have always been the system's whipping boys, I'm happier with it than any of the previews made me.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 11 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

My combo for important books is English PDF + German book (independently of errata), will probably be the same this time around.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 11 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 09:24 AM) *

It's a limit of the software they're using. The files are always on their site, so it doesn't effect hosting costs or anything. I'm hoping that will change at some point in the future.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Jul 12 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,847

I hope the official errata comes out quickly, but I'm expecting the revised will be in about a year or so. Or, if it sells well, with the second printing, which might be in six months or so.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Jul 12 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

My actual answer is "I already pre-ordered". I might get a later printing in a year or two.

+Quote Post
Remnar
post Jul 12 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,261

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 11 2013, 05:27 AM) *
Yeah, that's why I always shop through DTRPG.

I learned that lesson when my hard-drive went kablooey. All my DTRPG stuff was easy as pie to re-download. Battleshop... not so much.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 12 2013, 11:56 PM
Post #17

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jul 12 2013, 05:04 PM) *
I hope the official errata comes out quickly, but I'm expecting the revised will be in about a year or so. Or, if it sells well, with the second printing, which might be in six months or so.

There won;t be a "Revised" anytime soon. That's usually something done a couple years down the line to fix semi-major problems without doing a complete edition overhaul.

The second printing should incorporate any and all errata into it. ANd hopefully the errata should be released soon, as it's something that's being feverishly collected, looked over, and discussed and has been for a while now.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 12 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #18

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Remnar @ Jul 12 2013, 05:22 PM) *
I learned that lesson when my hard-drive went kablooey. All my DTRPG stuff was easy as pie to re-download. Battleshop... not so much.

It should be a simple matter to contact Battleshop and request they enable your downloads again. Might take a few days.

Unfortunatly, Battleshops software is currently... limited. Which is why downloads expire. It's something that's in the works to be overhauled, but that's no simple and quick task.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 13 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 12 2013, 06:56 PM) *
There won;t be a "Revised" anytime soon. That's usually something done a couple years down the line to fix semi-major problems without doing a complete edition overhaul.

And those of us who are waiting don't care.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 13 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 12 2013, 05:56 PM) *

The second printing should incorporate any and all errata into it. ANd hopefully the errata should be released soon, as it's something that's being feverishly collected, looked over, and discussed and has been for a while now.

Bull, does that mean the $300+ LEs are going to have the same basic proofing and errata problems the PDF does now?

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jul 13 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Waiting for the errata. The LE looks cool, but even if I had the money for it, I don't support sloppy editing.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 14 2013, 05:13 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 13 2013, 07:46 AM) *
Bull, does that mean the $300+ LEs are going to have the same basic proofing and errata problems the PDF does now?

I would bet good money on it.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 14 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 13 2013, 10:13 PM) *
I would bet good money on it.

And those who order the LE are doing just that. *sigh*

+Quote Post
Trillinon
post Jul 15 2013, 05:25 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,632

Yeah, it bothers me a bit whenever a special collector's edition comes out based on the first printing. Those, more than anything, should wait for at least one round of errata.

But, I'm of the mind that a game system should get either a public beta or a PDF release prior to being shipped to the printer to allow for errata to be collected prior to that first print run.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Jul 15 2013, 05:27 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

Yeah, I'm not paying money for it until the errata actually arrives.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.