Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can you upgrade foci?
Opti
post Jul 15 2013, 04:29 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 97,213

The adept in my group has an "heirloom" katana that he would like to upgrade from force 1 to force 4. I couldn't find any rules for or against. Anyone have an answer?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 15 2013, 04:51 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 459

QUOTE (Opti @ Jul 15 2013, 05:29 AM) *
The adept in my group has an "heirloom" katana that he would like to upgrade from force 1 to force 4. I couldn't find any rules for or against. Anyone have an answer?

-- I don't see anything in Street Magic about it. In fact, this got me wondering, and I even checked the original Grimoire. Nope, not mentioned. I assume you can't do it.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 15 2013, 05:06 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

you can do almost anything with a unique enchantment, i think.

so the question really is, do you want him to be able to? if yes, you now have an excuse to allow it, if no, you just tell him no.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 15 2013, 05:14 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Since there's no rules expressly forbidding a focus from being upgraded, I'd say it'd be possible. With GM's permission, of course. Personally I'd consider it to be something more difficult since you're taking an established enchanted item and changing it.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Jul 15 2013, 05:15 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

I really see no reason why not. As long as he's paying for the difference, why not?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 15 2013, 06:56 AM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Its down the GM really and I like the idea of an item 'growing' like this, sort of like Earthdawn items and their history.

I would look at developing a unique enchantment where one of the ingredients would be the foci in question.

Probably going to need someone with master level smithing as well to reforge the blade during this process.

Or if don't feel like melting it down and recasting, make the ritual involve carving a series of runes along the blade. All the normal costs and ingredients apply but uses the sword as the base so to speak to build on.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 16 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

You have to learn key knowledge's, then threads into the items' pattern....wait, never mind.

I've never allowed it, for the same reason you can't 'upgrade' your WR2 to WR3. You can rip them out and replace them, but you can't upgrade the existing item.

+Quote Post
Lurker37
post Jul 18 2013, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,959

QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 17 2013, 04:09 AM) *
You have to learn key knowledge's, then threads into the items' pattern....wait, never mind.

I've never allowed it, for the same reason you can't 'upgrade' your WR2 to WR3. You can rip them out and replace them, but you can't upgrade the existing item.

Except, you sort of can: You can credit the essence lost against the (now removed) WR2 towards the essence cost of WR3. You cannot do that with the karma spent on a focus. (And since you can buy WR2 second hand, it stands to reason that you can sell your old WR2 to offset the cost a little, like trading in a car.)

So I don't really have an issue with upgrading a focus from a balance point of view. Also, with the new Qi focus tattoos, I like the idea of adding to a tattoo to make it more powerful. Just make sure you have enough Legend Points to....never mind.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 19 2013, 01:37 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Lurker37 @ Jul 17 2013, 08:48 PM) *
Except, you sort of can: You can credit the essence lost against the (now removed) WR2 towards the essence cost of WR3. You cannot do that with the karma spent on a focus. (And since you can buy WR2 second hand, it stands to reason that you can sell your old WR2 to offset the cost a little, like trading in a car.)

So I don't really have an issue with upgrading a focus from a balance point of view. Also, with the new Qi focus tattoos, I like the idea of adding to a tattoo to make it more powerful. Just make sure you have enough Legend Points to....never mind.

Actually, you can't.

Well, I may be behind on SR4/5.

In SR2-3, optional rules allowed you to have essence 'holes' from removed cyberware, which could be used first before losing more Essence. But that came later, and was not RAW in any of the corebooks IIRC.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 19 2013, 01:44 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 18 2013, 07:37 PM) *
Actually, you can't.

Well, I may be behind on SR4/5.

In SR2-3, optional rules allowed you to have essence 'holes' from removed cyberware, which could be used first before losing more Essence. But that came later, and was not RAW in any of the corebooks IIRC.

Pretty Sure that Essence Holes are RAW in the SR4A Core Book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 19 2013, 01:52 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

I'll defer to that, I'm not digging out my hardcopy SR4A (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Maybe some kind of rules in the magic splat book to 'disenchant' foci you've bonded and recoup some of the karma to spend on new bondings? But only by losing the old focus.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.