IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You convert SR4A Chars to SR5 ?
Medicineman
post Jul 15 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,015

especially chars with (not yet but soon existing ) 'ware like Move-By-Wire ?
Or Way of the Adept /Way of the Samurai chars ?

with a convertible Dance
Medicineman
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jul 15 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

There is a conversion document that's getting the final look-over (I have a draft I proofed not a meter away from me at the moment) that does pretty good. It should be up in the not-too-distant future.

The cyber question...it's going to be like when we transitioned to 4th from 3rd. Some of it we're just going to have to eyeball until the new book gets out. Compare it to similar gear and work up something acceptable to your table as a placeholder.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 15 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 15 2013, 12:40 PM) *
There is a conversion document that's getting the final look-over (I have a draft I proofed not a meter away from me at the moment) that does pretty good. It should be up in the not-too-distant future.

The cyber question...it's going to be like when we transitioned to 4th from 3rd. Some of it we're just going to have to eyeball until the new book gets out. Compare it to similar gear and work up something acceptable to your table as a placeholder.

How safe is it to assume that much of it is closer to SR3 stats?

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jul 15 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Tilting at Windmills

Probably not safe at all. SR5 is a descendant of SR4; I know that at my table, we'll generally be assuming that things work more or less the same in SR5 as their SR4 counterparts until proven otherwise. If there's a drastic change, we'll curse and panic, but in general the official gear will be retconned in and it will always have worked that way.

Or did I miss something in your question?

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jul 15 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Thanks Patrick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When I converted some Chars from SR3 --->4 I made a whole new SR4 Char with the old chars Background in my Mind
added the Connections he aquired in his previous career and added the Karma he made as a SR3 Char.
I Guess I'll be doing the same here. It'll even be easier now than before.

with an old new Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 15 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 15 2013, 11:45 AM) *
Probably not safe at all. SR5 is a descendant of SR4; I know that at my table, we'll generally be assuming that things work more or less the same in SR5 as their SR4 counterparts until proven otherwise. If there's a drastic change, we'll curse and panic, but in general the official gear will be retconned in and it will always have worked that way.

Not for the most part. He brought up MBW which, given the change to the IP system, I assumed would mean that they were more like their SR3 version. Although most 'ware didn't change too much through the editions.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jul 15 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

I guess MBW Will be +2 Rea , +1D6 Initiative and Level 2 Skillwires (just like in SR4A) at Level 1
(maybe with a WiFi Dodgebonus which I am sure to ignore !)
Thats why I wrote that it will be easier to convert SR4A Chars than SR3 Chars

with an easier Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jul 15 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #8

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 15 2013, 02:48 PM) *
Not for the most part. He brought up MBW which, given the change to the IP system, I assumed would mean that they were more like their SR3 version. Although most 'ware didn't change too much through the editions.

Oh, duh. Yeah, I think I need to get some sleep...this weekend was weird. It didn't dawn on me for some reason that you were talking about a particular piece of gear. Yeah, MBW will probably be more like the SR3 version, but since I don't think anyone's even looked at that yet, I think it would be a bad idea to quote me (seeing as how I don't actually know). MedicineMan's stop-gap version looks serviceable, however.

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Jul 15 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 15 2013, 01:45 PM) *

Just use SR4 rules.
Items are placeholders until the new books come out.

Weapons need a slight boost to the damage and an estimate for the accuracy.
Ware costs about 2 to 2.5 times the cost in SR4.

Armor needs a boost but just look at the corresponding armor in 4 and make a guesstimate.
House rule the rest.
I know I'm not taking skinlinks away from my players.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 16 2013, 01:10 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

I patiently await the release. I've got a few favored characters that I'm curious to see how they'll be treated in the SR5 rule set, one of which I'm kind of dreading...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.